Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Oh man I hope he calls in next week to rebut her. That was some great radio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Roger Troutman posted:

The online Alphaville community seems certifiable. A guy in the FOT chat tweeted at them re: that caller who was blocked from their twitter and I think she and the account holder are insane.

https://twitter.com/BadGuyZero/status/603399613907771392
Haha, jesus, that person sounds completely nuts.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
oh mike

"what's the difference between a mature milf and a young granny"

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
More live shows announced last night, can anyone post the cities? I won't be able to listen until after work...

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
I didn't listen last night but

Jon Wurster on Twitter posted:

Scharpling & Wurster west coast trek just announced! Seattle 8/27, Portland 8/29, San Fran 9/3, L.A. 9/5. Links to follow. Tix on sale Fri.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
The Harry Morgan's son call was really good

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Groucho Marxist posted:

yeah I wish Tom had figured out how to get him back over to Mike instead of just hanging up on him, I'd like to hear more from that dude.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Groucho Marxist posted:

Dexter?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I love the brand you're putting out to the world

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
whew boy kevin corrigan is a snooze

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats

Thom and the Heads posted:

Tom seemed to be trying so hard to liven it up, but yeah that was not my favorite Best Show interview

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I was at last night's Mountain Goats gig and couldn't help but think "huh, I wonder when Wurster's going to have the time to get on the phone for Newbridge-related purposes?"

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Wrecked the episode basically. I don't mind Tom getting a bit more guest-centric but he should at least have people on who he knows he can play off of.

People have already talked about the ads, they don't bother me much either because they're so sparse and they get Tom money, but holy poo poo, he sounds miserable when he reads him. You can just tell Draft Kings fantasy golf is something he wants to mock ruthlessly as he does the read.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I haven't heard the episode yet, but that's too bad about Corrigan. I like him as an actor. He was pretty dull on Doug Loves Movies a while back but I just thought maybe he wasn't comfortable in that format.

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008

I drove from Mass to NJ listening to the podcast yesterday morning, and had to pull over to keep myself from falling asleep from behind the wheel. His voice is very hypnotic.

ANYWAY- People have took it upon themselves to pull out some of their own personal favorite best show bits on YouTube , including some that most people forget about

Coffin Talk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9YgVho8DmI

Tom recounts writing a puff piece for a Jim Beam sponsored basketball contest with the members of Papa Roach
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7WD3gD-rec

Tom does DOZENS of second long impressions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VWjo1I-UZM

shut up netface fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jun 11, 2015

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The episode was actually pretty good if you skip the entire two hours or so where Corrigan was on!!! (yeah what a big snooze)

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Seltzer posted:

People have already talked about the ads, they don't bother me much either because they're so sparse and they get Tom money, but holy poo poo, he sounds miserable when he reads him. You can just tell Draft Kings fantasy golf is something he wants to mock ruthlessly as he does the read.

I think that great riff he did about audiobooks a couple weeks ago was him burning Audible. I'm pretty sure he's done some spots for them already. Doubt he will after that.

So I was listening to some archive episodes from 2008. Did Volcano Suns or someone from it do the theme song from that period?

Edit:
Okay, it sounds like Volcano Suns because it's "Jak" with different lyrics.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 12, 2015

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
This one?

https://themeweaversllc.bandcamp.com/track/the-best-theme-for-the-best-show-on-wfmu

He had two theme song contests (one in 2006 and one in 2012 I think), the post-WFMU one is done by the same guy who won in 2012.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 12, 2015

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Not that one, the one before the music set, which was replaced by the Hank IV song.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Who does the current theme?

Roger Troutman
Jan 11, 2007

What I do is sometimes get a tin of soup, heat it up, poach an egg in it, serve that with a pork pie sausage roll.
There was a period of time where Tom was playing "Do It" before the theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xSFi-Tn2_g

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
:wtc: Mike.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I was waiting for this 100 worst characters episode so I could call in with Ducky from Pretty in Pink. So of course it happened while I was traveling and unable to.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

holy gently caress @ inside baseball /w scharpling & wurster

what a huge colossoal boner

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Illinois Smith posted:

holy gently caress @ inside baseball /w scharpling & wurster

what a huge colossoal boner

"Why doesn't he just throw the balls?" has been making me smirk all day. I wonder if thats the record for highest rate of "boner" per min that has been said on a podcast.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Asnorban posted:

I was waiting for this 100 worst characters episode so I could call in with Ducky from Pretty in Pink. So of course it happened while I was traveling and unable to.

I presume it'll be going on this week as well? They barely got to even start populating the list with all the other stuff on the table.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Tom said they'd do more of it in a week or two.

Did anyone listen to the Half Hour of Power? That guy who called in with the David Byrne story, oh my god, I want to see that picture so bad.

Roger Troutman
Jan 11, 2007

What I do is sometimes get a tin of soup, heat it up, poach an egg in it, serve that with a pork pie sausage roll.
No live show this week.

Show will be released with Patton Oswalt and Lisa Jane Persky.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
He said and more so my hope is that he has Hayes/Sean on since he gushed over Hollywood Handbook last week.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

According to the episode description, he does!

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

The Berzerker posted:

Tom said they'd do more of it in a week or two.

Did anyone listen to the Half Hour of Power? That guy who called in with the David Byrne story, oh my god, I want to see that picture so bad.

But of course. What I really like about it is that it gives Mike the opportunity to really shine comedically. Tom drops the routine where he rags on the persona he invented for Mike, and Mike gets to say some pretty weird and funny poo poo.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Still can't find that photo.

I tuned in to the stream tonight and listened to a Bryce call for a while but the stream is really laggy and kept timing out. Does that happen every week? If so no wonder they have trouble pulling new people in. I usually listen to it as a podcast but it'd be nice to be able to listen live when I'm home.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
I've had more problems tonight, and they started out with technical problems early on in the show. I wouldn't say it's always like this

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I've never had an issue with the stream before. I turned it on tonight 10 minutes ago and it's been solid. Maybe it was just a bit off earlier.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Well, I'll try it again the next time I'm around on a Tuesday night. Thanks for the info.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Charley Morgan with the f-bomb!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Man, I dunno if I just don't "get" Hollywood Handbook or whatever, but I just listened to the episode with Tom on and I'm more confused than anything.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Allen Wren posted:

Man, I dunno if I just don't "get" Hollywood Handbook or whatever, but I just listened to the episode with Tom on and I'm more confused than anything.

I basically just wanted to strangle the two twits. They're clearly working some sort of "hollywood douchebag" schtick, but drat, it's unlistenable.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa
Genuinely not sure how someone could be into the Jon Wurster calls and at the same time think the Hollywood Handbook guys are unbearable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Wallbanger
Aug 15, 2009

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I basically just wanted to strangle the two twits. They're clearly working some sort of "hollywood douchebag" schtick, but drat, it's unlistenable.

EHHHH WRONG