Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, "Well, it's not nation-building. We are assisting them in building their nation." ~ Marco Rubio, on Iraq.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPrHm_zyWzw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

So apparently a thing happened.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-33017310
Take a drink if anyone says 'cyber pearl harbor'.
fake edit: gently caress it

quote:

US hit by 'massive data breach'

42 minutes ago
From the section US & Canada

US government agencies have been hit by a "massive breach" affecting the personal data of millions of federal workers, officials said.

The Office of Personnel Management confirmed on Thursday that almost four million current and past employees have been affected.

The agency serves as the human resource department for the federal government.

US officials suspect that the cyber attack originated in China, US media outlets reported.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Ralepozozaxe posted:

I knew it was some stupid high number, I wonder how far he's get from his goal.

Per PolitiFact:

quote:

Gov. Scott Walker fell short when it came to his top 2010 campaign promise -- that the state would add 250,000 private-sector jobs in his first term.

But he would have finished much closer had there been four years with the jobs growth seen in 2014 -- especially the final four months of the year.

State employers added an estimated 53,400 jobs in 2014, pushing the total for his four-year term to 146,795. That's about 59 percent of the total Walker promised as a candidate.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Putting aside the actual stupid thing he said am I the only one who finds it kind of lame that Rubio shows up on all these bum shows like The Five and Outnumbered? I'm all for a candidate being accessible but there's still degrees. I basically get the sense Rubio will show up in any studio at any time if they'll give him TV time. It just seems really "un-presidential" to me.

The guy I elect for president should have something better to do at 1 PM on a Thursday than chatting on a couch with Kennedy.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 4, 2015

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, "Well, it's not nation-building. We are assisting them in building their nation." ~ Marco Rubio, on Iraq.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPrHm_zyWzw

Taking "words mean things" to an idiotic level.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Man, there's got to be a way of administering society where cops just don't exist.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

STAC Goat posted:

Am I the only one who finds it kind of lame that Rubio shows up on all these bum shows like The Five and Outnumbered? I'm all for a candidate being accessible but there's still degrees. I basically get the sense Rubio will show up in any studio at any time if they'll give him TV time. It just seems really "un-presidential" to me.

The guy I elect for president should have something better to do at 1 PM on a Thursday than chatting on a couch with Kennedy.

Don't worry because I don't see how Rubio makes it through the primary. The :bahgawd: demographic won't vote for a Mexican.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

STAC Goat posted:

Putting aside the actual stupid thing he said am I the only one who finds it kind of lame that Rubio shows up on all these bum shows like The Five and Outnumbered? I'm all for a candidate being accessible but there's still degrees. I basically get the sense Rubio will show up in any studio at any time if they'll give him TV time. It just seems really "un-presidential" to me.

Rubio is trying to be the young charismatic guy and appearing on all those shows is his attempt to demonstrate those qualities. I don't think he understands how little charisma he actually has.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Neat trick for reducing unemployment: Take a bunch of full time jobs and turn them into two half-time jobs each! Not applicable to every industry, but if you can pull it off, you'll even save money on benefits! ;)

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Nonsense posted:

Taking "words mean things" to an idiotic level.

A really round-about way to say "leading from behind" without actually saying that.

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted

Amergin posted:

So, uh... tell me how bad that is again?

I'll point out the obvious--that you have to put that decline in unemployment rate into context. The absolute number of jobs he promised doesn't really matter as far as I'm concerned. But from Munkeymon's link--

quote:

Wisconsin's pace of job creation, which has lagged the national rate for years, fell further behind in the latest quarterly data while landing the Badger State in the bottom tier of its peer Midwestern states.

He's doing worse than everyone around him. And pretty bad overall. For someone who's essentially got a laboratory for supply-side, anti-union economics he's not vindicating the theory very well.

Out of curiosity, how closely do job creation/loss rates covary in adjacent states?

E: I guess you could argue that Wisconsin is some anomaly state that perpetually resists economic policy no matter what that policy is, but eh.

Dogstoyevsky fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 5, 2015

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ditocoaf posted:

Neat trick for reducing unemployment: Take a bunch of full time jobs and turn them into two half-time jobs each! Not applicable to every industry, but if you can pull it off, you'll even save money on benefits! ;)

That isn't necessarily a bad thing - but you need State mechanisms to make multiple part-time jobs practical. Right now there are alot of hosed up HR environments where they expect you to be on-call and tirelessly loyal to them and not your other employer (with no benefit to the individual). These are things that the political and pundit classes are completely out of touch with. That is why I bang on about pay-grades, a unified online job market, and a national retirement age/pension.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Now I know he gutted the hell out of schools, but last I checked 59% is still an F

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ditocoaf posted:

yeah, for a while during the recession i had a part time office job and a restaurant job. my office boss pulled me in one day and said that it didn't reflect well on the company that i had to leave early on friday afternoons to pick up a serving shift, so if i would consider not doing that so he could report back to HR. he asked what it would take for me to demonstrate my commitment, I said full time and salary, he equivocated and kinda flopped around a bit talking about how it was a two-way street, they reward loyalty when loyalty is demonstrated. i think he was getting some pushback from his boss because i would obviously wear (nice) restaurant shoes and slacks under a dress shirt and it just didn't look professional enough despite meeting dress code

so another week goes by and he calls me in and sits me down and tells me i need to make a choice. loving really? i told him the restaurant paid more and that was that

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Amergin posted:

Per PolitiFact:

quote:

But he would have finished much closer had there been four years with the jobs growth seen in 2014 -- especially the final four months of the year.

Yeah I agree the job numbers would be much better in Wisconsin if you only count the four months it was good and extrapolate it to extend over four years.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Stereotype posted:

Yeah I agree the job numbers would be much better in Wisconsin if you only count the four months it was good and extrapolate it to extend over four years.

loving Politifact. What a joke of a website.

Also, Wisconsin's LFPR trails the rest of the country which helps explain its low unemployment rate: http://host.madison.com/news/local/...19bb2963f4.html

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Accretionist posted:

Man, there's got to be a way of administering society where cops just don't exist.

The ED-209 models at least didn't start firing until you picked up a weapon.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Popular Thug Drink posted:

yeah, for a while during the recession i had a part time office job and a restaurant job. my office boss pulled me in one day and said that it didn't reflect well on the company that i had to leave early on friday afternoons to pick up a serving shift, so if i would consider not doing that so he could report back to HR. he asked what it would take for me to demonstrate my commitment, I said full time and salary, he equivocated and kinda flopped around a bit talking about how it was a two-way street, they reward loyalty when loyalty is demonstrated. i think he was getting some pushback from his boss because i would obviously wear (nice) restaurant shoes and slacks under a dress shirt and it just didn't look professional enough despite meeting dress code

so another week goes by and he calls me in and sits me down and tells me i need to make a choice. loving really? i told him the restaurant paid more and that was that

That is completely insane. Hang the rich by their necks and let them rot as a warning.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Everblight posted:

That is completely insane. Hang the rich by their necks and let them rot as a warning.

B-but... Their nutritious animal proteins. :(

Couldn't we just hang them and hew chunks of them directly onto a cash-and-stocks-fired grill?

Why, yes, I am a non-aggressive pacifist, why do you ask?

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
It's easy to keep unemployment percentages low if people are fleeing your state for some place better.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
59% to forecast is a straight-up fireable offense in most of the private sector.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's good that Walker hasn't had a private sector job since he was like 19 then.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Radish posted:

It's good that Walker hasn't had a private sector job since he was like 19 then.

But he wants to run government like a business!

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Sorus posted:

It's easy to keep unemployment percentages low if people are fleeing your state for some place better.

Wisconsin actually managed to gain 9,000 people since 2010 so someone wants to live there

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Shbobdb posted:

59% to forecast is a straight-up fireable offense in most of the private sector.

Yes but comparing campaign promises with business forecasts is inherently stupid.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Depends on her job. Some bosses may be more flexible than others, and some bosses might pry into just why she's getting these calls - and nothing makes the work day go by faster than recounting your sexual assault to your boss.

Also, being reminded repeatedly and unexpectedly about your rape in the middle of the workday really can mess with your mind. It's trauma, victims don't always respond in the most beep-boop-logical way.

I wonder what her boss will think of this

http://jezebel.com/emma-sulkowiczs-newest-art-project-is-a-disturbing-sex-1709234401

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Dr. Tough posted:

Wisconsin actually managed to gain 9,000 people since 2010 so someone wants to live there

That doesn't sound like that much really.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Gravel Gravy posted:

That doesn't sound like that much really.

Actually Wisconsin gained 70,000 people, I was looking at the wrong columns before.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

I assume her boss wouldn't give a poo poo, since the person who was complaining about getting calls about their sexual assault at work was not Emma Sulkowiczs and apparently only vaguely knows Emma Sulkowiczs.

Like I realize that the average boss is a massive tool, but "one of your rapists' other victims did something I disapprove of, therefore I'm mad at you" seems inhuman.

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, if you're Marco Rubio you're trying to appeal to Republican primary voters, and that's like the major audience of The Five and Outnumbered, so it makes sense.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

But he wants to run government like a business!

Straight into the ground while he golden parachutes out?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

"A little over half is good enough, right? 59% is what, an F? Which stands for 'Fantastic'!"

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I wonder how much 59% compares to how many jobs Wisconsin would have gained without Walker's interference.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dr. Tough posted:

I'm one of them. I wouldn't say I wanted to live in Wisconsin, but a Wisconsin-based company hired me and reimbursed my move, so now I live in Wisconsin.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Lawman 0 posted:

So apparently a thing happened.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-33017310
Take a drink if anyone says 'cyber pearl harbor'.
fake edit: gently caress it

Dammit.

A broadcast email went out saying they are going to be giving 18 months monitoring to the 4 million affected. At this point I don't think you can be active in the US economy and NOT be covered by free credit monitoring due to a data breach.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Amergin posted:

So, uh... tell me how bad that is again?

Not great and not the numbers that he promised when he began to enact his vision for Wisconsin. The numbers especially come off badly when compared to neighboring MN, where a more moderate tack has shown better results.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

Dammit.

A broadcast email went out saying they are going to be giving 18 months monitoring to the 4 million affected. At this point I don't think you can be active in the US economy and NOT be covered by free credit monitoring due to a data breach.

I'm on 3 or 4 credit monitoring programs due to the Target/Home Depot/Anthem hacks. I opened a new credit card last week and the only one that notified me was the one provided to me as part of my AAA subscription. They're all worthless.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

FCKGW posted:

I'm on 3 or 4 credit monitoring programs due to the Target/Home Depot/Anthem hacks. I opened a new credit card last week and the only one that notified me was the one provided to me as part of my AAA subscription. They're all worthless.

I was on one from the SC taxpayer record breach and it did manage to pick up a new car loan application. One of them. I shopped around.

Credit monitoring is a personal finance Ouija board I swear.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
The only reliable credit reports are the ones you get directly from TransUnion, Equifax, or Experian. Once you've used your annual credit report that's mandated by federal law, just go to each website and find the form you can fill out to get a free credit report. You'll need to make up a reason like "I think I've been a victim of fraud" but they don't give a poo poo and will just show you your report (sans score).

http://www.experian.com/reportaccess/ Here's Experian's site, just say you suffered an "adverse action".

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Pixelboy posted:

Some of them are just pandering for a spot on Fox... others... TLC, I suppose.

Are you implying that some of the candidates are child molesters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mister Macys posted:

Are you implying that some of the candidates are child molesters?

I would never suggest that prominent members of the GOP are disgusting pederasts, that would be going too far.

• Locked thread