Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

thespaceinvader posted:

Measuring both diagonals doesn't actually guarantee you have square corners; the room could be trapezoidal. You have to make sure that at least one corner is square in and of itself, too, or make sure that the walls are the same lengths.

You just have to make sure your sides are the correct length. If the opposite sides of any square or rectangle are equal length and the corner to corner is equal, there is no possible way it's a trapezoid. Measuring one corner for squareness assumes the sides are the correct length anyway. The two sides opposite the corner measured could be the wrong length and unsquare to anything, but still get a correct length corner to corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

As noted juuuust upthread, measuring both diagonals doesn't actually guarantee you have square corners; the room could be trapezoidal. You have to make sure that at least one corner is square in and of itself, too, or make sure that the walls are the same lengths.

Unless you have a right-angle trapezoid. One 90 degree corner, Two 89 degree corners and one 92 degree corner would be an example.

EDIT: ^^ What he said.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
http://imgur.com/cG7uxeP

How bout that crack?

This used to be a gun store. Rumor is the city was going to eminent domain the building and tear it down. City bought the building and then it was found to be some sort of historic building and now several years later it still stands with the city unable to do anything.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Nitrox posted:

Sup guys, I hear PEX is hard
http://i.imgur.com/9q7tPl4.jpg

Allegedly a licensed plumber did this.

whateverIhadinthetruck.jpg

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I live in a 70 year old apartment building. I took one of the bedrooms to become my "train room" to build a big ol' train set in and drew up all the plans to use the space efficiently. I soon learned the walls vary by almost 2" from the front to the back, and the floor slopes about an inch from the walls to the centre. Old buildings!

Old hah. Back in 2000 I was down in Orlando working for Bellsouth to install cellular gear in those little sheds under towers. We got assigned to a location one day on the 7th floor of a hotel down near Disney. It was just a gutted hotel room turned into an equipment space, standard procedure of putting in the equipment was levelling everything before anchoring the cabinets down. Along the way we discovered the floor dropped over 3 inches just in the space of 6 or 7 side to side equipment cabinets. It was so bad we could barely get the equipment level, the adjusting feet on the bottoms were maxed out on one end, and max screwed in on the other.

loving loony-tunes setup. Then we got yelled at by our boss for not bracing the cabinets up to the cable racks. Apparently he couldn't understand the concept of "There is literally one and a half inches of space, and the brackets are three inches."

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
This article (PDF link) is interesting; it talks about designing a house with unusually thorough insulation (R-80 attic, R-60 walls) and other energy-conserving designs. The walls are 16" thick!

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This article (PDF link) is interesting; it talks about designing a house with unusually thorough insulation (R-80 attic, R-60 walls) and other energy-conserving designs. The walls are 16" thick!

That article is 15 years out of date. These days you could get similar results in a much smaller space by using foil-faced polyiso under the sheathing and closed-cell spray foam in the bays. Like you could probably get the walls down to 8" total.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
The only thing out of date about that wall assembly is the 6 mil poly vapor barrier. And going overboard, 12" R-40 walls are more popular.

Closed cell spray foam, particularly filling stud bays, is not particularly popular in super insulated homes. It uses a high GWP blowing agent, used within stud bays its high r-value is severely compromised by thermal bridging from the studs, it has far less air sealing benefits than commonly believed both because many of the critical air sealing aren't within stud bays and because seasonal expansion and contraction can cause it to separate from wall studs, and of course, it's expensive.

Polyiso is a poor choice for exterior sheathing anywhere cold enough to justify an R-40 or R-60 wall. Most insulations perform better in cold weather, but polyiso actually starts performing worse once it drops below about 50F (because the blowing agent condenses); by the time the temperature has dropped below freezing even EPS foam has a higher R-value. Foil faced polyiso is particularly unpopular because the foil is a vapor barrier, which prevents any outward drying of the sheathing; sheathing sandwiched between ccSPF and foil faced poly iso would have no drying potential and would be damaged by any moisture intrusion.

The most popular super insulated wall assemblies are double stud walls filled with cellulose or open cell spray foam, or a standard 2x6 24" OC stud wall with cellulose in the bays and 3-6 inches of rigid foam on the exterior (although rigid mineral wool seems to be quickly gaining popularity).

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Zhentar posted:

The only thing out of date about that wall assembly is the 6 mil poly vapor barrier. And going overboard, 12" R-40 walls are more popular.

Closed cell spray foam, particularly filling stud bays, is not particularly popular in super insulated homes. It uses a high GWP blowing agent, used within stud bays its high r-value is severely compromised by thermal bridging from the studs, it has far less air sealing benefits than commonly believed both because many of the critical air sealing aren't within stud bays and because seasonal expansion and contraction can cause it to separate from wall studs, and of course, it's expensive.

Polyiso is a poor choice for exterior sheathing anywhere cold enough to justify an R-40 or R-60 wall. Most insulations perform better in cold weather, but polyiso actually starts performing worse once it drops below about 50F (because the blowing agent condenses); by the time the temperature has dropped below freezing even EPS foam has a higher R-value. Foil faced polyiso is particularly unpopular because the foil is a vapor barrier, which prevents any outward drying of the sheathing; sheathing sandwiched between ccSPF and foil faced poly iso would have no drying potential and would be damaged by any moisture intrusion.

The most popular super insulated wall assemblies are double stud walls filled with cellulose or open cell spray foam, or a standard 2x6 24" OC stud wall with cellulose in the bays and 3-6 inches of rigid foam on the exterior (although rigid mineral wool seems to be quickly gaining popularity).

I have been woefully misinformed about polyiso, apparently.

I knew closed-cell was a) expensive and b) not as fantastic at being a vapor barrier as actual vapor barriers. But isn't thermal bridging an issue with any in-bay insulation? I thought rigid foam on the exterior was used partly to deal with that thermal bridging regardless of the in-wall insulation (batt, cellulose, spray foam, etc.).

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Closed cell spray foam is a fine vapor barrier, it's just a mediocre air barrier (within stud bays). An air barrier needs to be continuous; any hole or gap will allow air through when there is a pressure difference (exponentially as pressure increases), so even small flaws can let through a significant amount of air. A vapor barrier stops diffusion, and diffusion is linear with surface area; holes and gaps only matter in the proportion to the total size; a 95% complete vapor barrier stops 95% of the vapor diffusion. (I should note that closed cell spray foam is quite popular for rim joist insulation, where the vapor barrier can be important, and bridging the spray foam across bays does make for an effective air barrier)

Thermal bridging is indeed a concern with any in bay insulation; it means you get diminishing returns in the total wall R-value as you increase the R-value of the bay fill, so spending a lot of money for a higher r-value within the bay has a pretty poor ROI. Cellulose is popular since it's relatively cheap, it's generally considered "green", and resists air flow well enough to both reduce the impact of flaws in the air barrier and avoid the many problems fiberglass batts face with convection (and also gaps around obstructions).

Edit: oh, and also cellulose is hygroscopic and can serve as a hygric buffer, adding a bit more moisture resilience to the assembly (or a lot, if you ask the cellulose manufacturers).

Zhentar fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 3, 2015

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_y_x-NzIlY

The reactions are probably fake, but that hideous, horrible kitchen looks pretty real to me :barf:

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Yeah it's some dumb video for views - but that kitchen deserves that kind of reaction. It is a lovely one.

I don't know why, but the built-in fridge that has ice/water on the door annoys the hell out of me.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
I'm missing it - what's lovely about it? It's not beautiful, but seemed functional enough.

RazorDX
Nov 7, 2008
Why two stoves, and why not opt for front facing controls? Who needs two microwaves, and why not at least make them look like they belong? Instead of using an overhead microwave he built a very poorly measured shelf for a countertop unit. The island that serves solely to create an obstacle between the sink and the rest of the areas of the kitchen. After sinking 60 grand in a kitchen you shouldn't have to leave your appliances on a windowsill.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Just watched it again, caught some details.

An EXIT sign above a doorway. Two microwaves. Two stoves. Lots of room.

Halfway house? Group home? Foster home profit mill?

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
It's a vacation rental according to the uploader.

E. That they rented.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The Gardenator posted:

It's a vacation rental according to the uploader.

E. That they rented.

Suddenly it all makes sense.

That kitchen exists only to enable maximum party hosting ability with a fancy veneer for minimal design and cost.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Putting an obstacle in the sink/fridge/stove sacred triangle is still a crime no matter what the house is for. :colbert:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Making life difficult for tourists is practically a public service. :colbert:

I agree that's an awful place for it. Beach houses in particular are stuffed sort of crap.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Anyone have the website of the home inspector with the hilariously in depth reports and maintenance manual that comes up every once in a while in the thread? He's around Vancouver and I think I'm going to try and convince a friend to use him.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SubCrid TC posted:

Anyone have the website of the home inspector with the hilariously in depth reports and maintenance manual that comes up every once in a while in the thread? He's around Vancouver and I think I'm going to try and convince a friend to use him.

Are you talking about the guy with the TV Shows? Mike Holmes?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

SubCrid TC posted:

This is the guy you are probably thinking of, we used him for our inspection - http://www.theco.ca/

e. Yep, here's my old post:

Dillbag posted:

This guy did our home inspection. I got a 25-page report similar to this (without as many deficiencies, of course) and I got to watch him freak the poo poo out of my realtor. Best $650 I've ever spent.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Sorry to double post, but I should stress that the guy is not a big fan of realtors. If your friends have a working relationship with theirs I don't recommend putting them both in the same place at the same time if you can avoid it. I don't think my realtor (who we actually trust and have a good relationship with) was too impressed with some of his "all realtors are out to get you and you don't need one" comments.

oh god please don't start a realtor derail

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

My realtor is a 400-pound concrete block

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Dillbag posted:

This is the guy you are probably thinking of, we used him for our inspection - http://www.theco.ca/

e. Yep, here's my old post:

Exactly that dude. Awesome.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Bad Munki posted:

Hopefully at the bottom of a lake am i right

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Bad Munki posted:

Whoa, your realtor must be massive.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
my realtor is a murderdog.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Whoa, your realtor must be massive.

Only the size of a big Tupperware bin.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

There's no way that much realtor weighs 400 pounds.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The realtor has a heart made of solid osmium.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

hailthefish posted:

There's no way that much realtor weighs 400 pounds.

That really depends on the mixture of the realtor. What percentage of that realtor is sand, how much gravel, how much Portland cement, and to what degree is the realtor just full of a poo poo?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
This thread is so dense sometimes :rolleyes:

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

Equine Don posted:

This thread is so dense sometimes :rolleyes:

No more so than a statuette of a realtor, made of concrete and weighing in at about 400lbs.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

therobit posted:

That really depends on the mixture of the realtor. What percentage of that realtor is sand, how much gravel, how much Portland cement, and to what degree is the realtor just full of a poo poo?

All realtors are 100 percent filled with poo poo. The only real question is how much does 1 gallon of poo poo weigh?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

canyoneer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_y_x-NzIlY

The reactions are probably fake, but that hideous, horrible kitchen looks pretty real to me :barf:

"Two stoves, cause we're fat."

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

High Lord Elbow posted:

All realtors are 100 percent filled with poo poo. The only real question is how much does 1 gallon of poo poo weigh?

Given poo poo's propensity to both float and sink, a reasonable estimate of density would be 1.0g/cm^3, or the same density as water. Since a gallon is equal to 3.78 litres, a gallon of poo poo would therefore weight 3.78kg, or 8.3lbs.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

ductonius posted:

Given poo poo's propensity to both float and sink, a reasonable estimate of density would be 1.0g/cm^3, or the same density as water. Since a gallon is equal to 3.78 litres, a gallon of poo poo would therefore weight 3.78kg, or 8.3lbs.

What about horseshit?

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

kid sinister posted:

What about horseshit?

Probably slightly less dense than bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
This fuckin' thread...

Here's another lovely baseboard trim picture from my contractor buddy, done by the same idiot building owner as last time.

Astute readers will note that it is not, in fact, baseboard trim. It is door casing. :negative: