Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Yeah that happened earlier, at first I was like whatever press ok but then the spell thing happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

verbal enema posted:

How do you change your main title to the Fylkrite or w/e. My game I've been him since twenty years after the 769 start and I'm still Svibold

Not what he did, but if you get it while still a duke you can also switch it to your primary title then use the "Create new Kingdom" (and then later Empire) decisions

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
You could also just rename the title of your choice to Awesomeland or whatever you want, with the customizer.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah the issue with the "holy order forms in (year) by taking an empty holding in (county)" is that with the earlier start dates, the odds of there being an empty holding to take are extremely slim. You will probably never see the Assassins form if you start from the Old Gods or Charlemange start dates unless you personally control Dailam and keep a slot open, because while their form date was reasonable for the original start date, with the earlier starts 200-300 years will pass in game before you reach it. It's fairly unlikely there are going to be empty holdings ANYWHERE by that point.

The Jomsvikings one is really random too - it doesn't go by "at least one of these three counties needs to be controlled by a Germanic character and have an open holding", it goes by "one of these three counties will be picked at random, and if it is held by a Germanic character and has an open holding in 950, then the Jomsvikings will form. Assuming the owner of the county doesn't refuse their request to move in."

It just happened to me in my Charlemagne start Cornwall game. They formed in Poland, because against all odds Poland had grabbed one of the spawn points but still had a Germanic vassal sitting there.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

GSD posted:

You could also just rename the title of your choice to Awesomeland or whatever you want, with the customizer.

But that's not as official and therefore worse :colbert:

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Groogy, can a minor feature be added? Right now the only way to add culture-based localisation for titles is to add each culture and new name individually. Could it also be set to use a culture group?

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Shadeoses posted:

Groogy, can a minor feature be added? Right now the only way to add culture-based localisation for titles is to add each culture and new name individually. Could it also be set to use a culture group?

By titles do you mean the king, emperor etc.? If so, the answer is yes. Sultan, Emir etc. are for the Arabic culture group rather than specific cultures like Bedouin.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
No, he means the localization for landed titles. I also want this as to clean up cultural hotspots like Jerusalem in the landed_titles.txt.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Yeah, that's what I meant.

Religious localisation for titles would also be good :mrgw:

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
You can do the same for that as well, but I haven't done it myself so don't take my word on that.

You can also have names for landed titles or rank titles based on religion too, but not a mix of culture and religion.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I've recently come into quite a bit of land due to a successful crusade but the option to ask one of my council to distribute it isn't appearing. I've used the console to switch to them to see what is up, and the option to offer appears but can't be selected. It says someone else has already offered to assist me in handing my titles out. Letting the game run for a bit doesn't have any sort of pop up happen. What is the Event ID to type in to get one of my councilors to do this for me? I can only find the IDs for this from the councilor's perspective.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Odd. Normally I have a decent grasp on how the scripting works, but I can't seem to figure out why I can't create a faction to install myself as Byzantine emperor, as the ruler of a vassal republic. The empire is under feudal elective and I also have a weak claim - I can make factions for other people, but not for myself.

There's nothing in the qualifying code that really leaps out at me as likely.
code:
	new_character = {
		NOT = { has_landed_title = PREV }

NOT = { is_vassal_or_below = FROM }

OR = {
			same_realm = FROM
			FROM = {
				liege = { independent = yes }
			}
		}

OR = {
			is_female = no
			AND = {
				NOT = { religion_group = muslim } 
				NOT = { ROOT = { succ_law_title = { has_law = agnatic_succession } } }
			}
		}

OR = {
			ROOT = { has_law = succ_feudal_elective }
			has_claim = ROOT
		}

ROOT = {
			holder_scope = {
				NOT = {
					defending_against_claimant = {
						character = PREVPREV
						title = ROOT
					}
				}
			}
		}
	}
Any ideas? I also can't vote for myself, but I believe that's normal.

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007

TTBF posted:

I've recently come into quite a bit of land due to a successful crusade but the option to ask one of my council to distribute it isn't appearing. I've used the console to switch to them to see what is up, and the option to offer appears but can't be selected. It says someone else has already offered to assist me in handing my titles out. Letting the game run for a bit doesn't have any sort of pop up happen. What is the Event ID to type in to get one of my councilors to do this for me? I can only find the IDs for this from the councilor's perspective.

You don't want them to do it anyway, they will create super dukes that hate you and leave you with all the two holding provinces.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Back To 99 posted:

Disagree, that will screw you out of the research buildings cities give you. Better to have a second duchy which is filled with castles, and focus on your capital keeping you ahead in tech (and money).

Wtf. Whoever has trouble with keeping ahead with tech to the point where you have to pile cities in your capital. What ridiculous advice.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Yeah the universities are definitely there I guess if you have money to burn but there's no reason to not poo poo castles everywhere in your capital holding + capital duchy with the 25%/50% bonus you get to levies. Technology is laughably unimportant compared to EUIV or V2.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Deific Presence posted:

You don't want them to do it anyway, they will create super dukes that hate you and leave you with all the two holding provinces.

I was thinking of just freeing Jerusalem since I don't want to defend it, but yeah the AI will probably screw up the distribution. Guess I'll deal with it myself.

e: Or I can just grant the kingdom title and all lower titles to my most competent non-heir child. That's a lot easier.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jun 4, 2015

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Having a really rough time gaining more titles, no claims fabricated in 30 years (my guy now has an 18% yearly chance) and about a year before my truce with Scotland ended, the only people in my dynasty with claims died.

e: He must have heard me complaining

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 4, 2015

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Walton Simons posted:

Having a really rough time gaining more titles, no claims fabricated in 30 years (my guy now has an 18% yearly chance) and about a year before my truce with Scotland ended, the only people in my dynasty with claims died.

When fabricating claims, re-assign them to the same location every time you can, there's a decision that fires at every interval, and one of the outcomes is your chancellor taking a bribe to sit there and do nothing. Re-assigning resets this.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Odobenidae posted:

Technology is laughably unimportant compared to EUIV or V2.

It would be cool if like in EU or Victoria each technology upgrade was more specific in what you actually did. Like, instead of Siege Technology +1 it said "You just invented the trebuchet" or something.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

This may have been what happened, my previous chancellor is sat in Orkney for ages.

Just noticed that the King of Scotland has 6k of his 8k troops fighting in Jerusalem. Perfect.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Edison was a dick posted:

When fabricating claims, re-assign them to the same location every time you can, there's a decision that fires at every interval, and one of the outcomes is your chancellor taking a bribe to sit there and do nothing. Re-assigning resets this.
I don't think that's true. It's blocked by a simple character modifier, NOT = { has_character_modifier = bribed_by_noble_timer }, which only seems to be removed by timing out after a year. Indeed, it appears that the bribe prevents fabrication even if you move your chancellor elsewhere.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Which mod(s) would you guys recommend if I want to enrichen the 'vanilla' gameplay experience? I'm mostly looking for expanded pagan mechanics, a much more unstable Byzantine empire and more lethal combat.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Is there a mod that adds meaningful events? No +1 prestige, incest, food fetishes or elder scrolls references like that viet mod if possible... Just actual honest to God events .

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

TorakFade posted:

Is there a mod that adds meaningful events? No +1 prestige, incest, food fetishes or elder scrolls references like that viet mod if possible... Just actual honest to God events .

I would also like to know this.

Also, I would like to know if it's often/ever worthwhile to press a claim for somebody else? I don't really see a valid reason at the moment.

Oh, and if I press a claim for one of my minor vassals will the the land he gets be added to my realm or does he become a vassal of the guy who is the liege of the current vassal?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

TheBlackRoija posted:

But that's not as official and therefore worse :colbert:

The great nation of Charlemania disagrees, brother, and will take on anyone that wants to make an issue of it in a NO-HOLDS-BARRED STEEL CAGE MATCH, OH YEAH!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

ninjahedgehog posted:

It would be cool if like in EU or Victoria each technology upgrade was more specific in what you actually did. Like, instead of Siege Technology +1 it said "You just invented the trebuchet" or something.

They all had proper names in CKI.

I think one of the techs was poultry? Gotta go invent me some chickens. And another one was cheese.

Cheesemakers were a pretty high level money building actually.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
The micromanagement involved with vice-royalties is making me depressed. And is there a reason why the idiot dames of my dynasty keep accepting non-matrilineal marriages or to non-kinsmen? I didn't loving land all of you idiots just so you could lose them 3 generations later because you are to dumb to either marry matri or in the family!

Also, it's very strange I, as liege lord, can't fiddle with the inheritance laws of my subjects. Maybe tie it into higher crown authority (Hey! A reason to bring it above Medium!) but my problem could have been solved if I'd have been able to switch the inheritance into agnatic. Or if Viceroyalities didn't just default to gavelkind after death...

Also there not being a single option to increase your vassal limit as the Byzantine is really, really tedious. Have it increase with legalism or something? I realize that it's a lategame problem and having it stack with prestige wasn't great but something other than diplomacy adding a tiny number to it would be better.

Edit: also yea, tech in general is incredibly dull; about the only thing that really has an actual strong impact is Milorg for 4 against pagans and retinues, Legalism for laws and centralization and for trade republics Trade tech. Everything else is just boring marginal upgrades. Whoop, 3.2% faster sieges yay! My light infantry now do .211 or something more damage, which I don't care about because I can barely pick my troop composition except with retinues and they're way too expensive to do anything but spam the 2 or 3 cheapest!

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 4, 2015

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Also there not being a single option to increase your vassal limit as the Byzantine is really, really tedious. Have it increase with legalism or something? I realize that it's a lategame problem and having it stack with prestige wasn't great but something other than diplomacy adding a tiny number to it would be better.

I think it is supposed to encourage you to have vassal kings. Otherwise there is little reason to ever invest all that power in a vassal.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Angela Christine posted:

I think it is supposed to encourage you to have vassal kings. Otherwise there is little reason to ever invest all that power in a vassal.

And now you have viceroys for maximum Byzantine fun. :getin:

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Deceitful Penguin posted:

The micromanagement involved with vice-royalties is making me depressed. And is there a reason why the idiot dames of my dynasty keep accepting non-matrilineal marriages or to non-kinsmen? I didn't loving land all of you idiots just so you could lose them 3 generations later because you are to dumb to either marry matri or in the family!

If you're playing as the Byzantines you pretty much have to hand out kingdom-level viceroyalties or just stop expanding and ride out the next 400-600 years with static borders. This isn't nearly as bad as it sounds; you lose the ability to revoke them whenever like you can with duchy-level viceroyalties, but you gain the ability to be able to go more than five seconds without a loving strategos dying. You also get some (all?) of their tech points when they croak, which means you'll be maxing out the tech tree hundreds of years before the end of the game. Maybe duchy-level ones do this too, but it's more pronounced at the kingdom level.

The non-matrilineal marriage thing is a pain, but there's no practical way around it as far as I can tell. It's annoying giving a county to a dynasty member and then coming back a few decades later to discover he had a female heir who decided to marry out of the dynasty.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

The Scots and the Irish had better get access to the clan mechanics.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Even with vassal kings, there's some pretty annoying restrictions on who you can transfer vassals to and if you create a bunch of merchant republics like I do, you don't want to lose access to that sweet, sweet filthy lucre. Apparently just being adjacent ain't enough. Also for some damnable reason the fucken pope refuses to create crusades, even though I specifically got catholicism into top-dog position again on top of Lollardism but eh; whaevs.

Gonna try and go for another steppe-muslim; just wish the Bolgars weren't so bloody annoying and that you could get at least some cash; But at least I'll be able to have my vassals actually be of some drat use in war. Disabling being able to raise individual vassals is so loving tedious and dumb, ugghhh.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Walton Simons posted:

e: He must have heard me complaining

Please learn how to generate claims through marriage and intrigue.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

ninjahedgehog posted:

I think the thing about CK2 tech is it's really meant to represent more incremental changes to technology rather than significant new discoveries being made as in Vicky 2. It's less stuff like "You just invented machine guns!" and more "you just found a new way to forge steel that makes your swords slightly more durable!"

Also if you think about it, it kind of makes sense that the tech is so hands off. You're a noble - you don't care what your craftsmen are doing to improve their process. All you care about is whether or not it makes your knights better at killing heathens.

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010
Although it might be cool to have events keyed to certain technology levels. Build "God's Own Catapult" during a war, armies led by your leader now have large siege bonus. Or is that something already tied to the Crusades?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

ShootaBoy posted:

I kind of want nomadic Saharan peoples. I have no idea if it's historical or not, but just something in that area would be neat.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is the Converter going to work with Common sense?

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Baron Porkface posted:

Is the Converter going to work with Common sense?

The devs usually release patches for CK2 just for the converter, so there's that.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Dareon posted:

I kind of want nomadic Saharan peoples. I have no idea if it's historical or not, but just something in that area would be neat.

Have you heard the good news about our Lords and Saviors the Garamantes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

ShootaBoy posted:

This would be radical. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch because they're already tribal christians.

Clans and blood feuds are going to be awesome if the After The End guys can mod it into the southern states. Medieval Hatfield/McCoy feuds. :banjo:

• Locked thread