Article: Mental illness in U.S. adults widespread
From: CBS News
Date: Nov 21, 2014

quote:

Nearly one in five American adults -- 43.8 million people -- experienced some type of diagnosable mental illness last year. The latest findings, from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration's (SAMHSA) 2013 National Survey on Drug Use and Health, show just how widespread such issues really are.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Radish posted:

I do like how they are complaining about the court records being released illegally. Why bother having a corrupt judge order files destroyed if people aren't going to play by the rules and go along with it???
I guess inTouch Weekly (a super ironic name considering the story) came out today and said they obtained the documents through a FOIA request. Legally he wasn't a minor when this happened and he was never charged, so I don't believe any of their legal threats have merit here. Plus the magazine didn't reveal the names of the victims.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Literally right now while I'm sitting here Bret Baer is doing a story on how the Duggar, Jenner, and Hastert stories are all part of "sexual media obsession" and that "some people" lack compassion. Because, you know, sexual abusing children is the same thing as having a sex change.

Fox News REALLY is going with the "liberals are obsessed with sex" thing to defend kids getting abused.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

STAC Goat posted:

Literally right now while I'm sitting here Bret Baer is doing a story on how the Duggar, Jenner, and Hastert stories are all part of "sexual media obsession" and that "some people" lack compassion. Because, you know, sexual abusing children is the same thing as having a sex change.

Fox News REALLY is going with the "liberals are obsessed with sex" thing to defend kids getting abused.
So the standard Karl Rove strategy

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Im perfectly willing to be labeled sex-obsessed since it looks like Bret is willing to take on the "child molestation apologist" mantle.

Guess I'll go back to jacking it and thinking its pretty neat that bruce jenner is a woman now. Hope Bret enjoys his time doing PR work for kid diddlers and the parents who enable them.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Hell, I'll up the stakes and bust one out to Caitlyn herself. What you got Bret?

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Intel&Sebastian posted:

"the other kids won't hear their names!" is such a silly rear end pearl-clutch fantasy. It has to be said so things dont get out of hand but thats obviously not the situation here.

At my graduation it was "Duke. Igthorn." *several seconds of me getting up to walk and accept my diploma*

Is it not that everywhere? Are there places where they read the names rapid fire fashion and shoot diplomas at students out of T-shirt cannons when they raise their hands and if they don't raise in time it's four more years of school?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

They have now issued arrest warrants

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 5, 2015

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Duke Igthorn posted:

At my graduation it was "Duke. Igthorn." *several seconds of me getting up to walk and accept my diploma*

Is it not that everywhere? Are there places where they read the names rapid fire fashion and shoot diplomas at students out of T-shirt cannons when they raise their hands and if they don't raise in time it's four more years of school?

Yea every ceremony I've been at there's like a good twenty or thirty seconds of the kid hearing their name, standing up, going over, shaking hands, and getting their poo poo. That's plenty of time to be all 'whoo Jimmy' and still be done by the time the next kid is up.

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost
Larger schools like mine would call out the next name when a student was halfway onto the stage, but even then the applause didn't really overrun anything.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

My high school class was like 900 and even with maybe 5-10 seconds between each name and pre-emptive requests for families to remain silent until the end, there were still occasional whoops or whistles because seriously who cares as long as you're not drowning out the next kid's name. edit: I guess if anyone's family was out of control the reader would wait to announce the next name and also remind everyone to hold applause. Not call the police.

This got posted in the Duggary thread. I had no idea Bristol was so completely loving crazy nowadays.

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/bristol-palin-compares-josh-duggar-to-lena-dunham-double-standards-201546

quote:

Yeesh! Bristol Palin is the latest celebrity to weigh in on Josh Duggar's molestation scandal -- but with an opposing viewpoint.

Sarah Palin's newly single daughter took to her blog on Thursday, June 4, to share her opinion about the public's reaction to the controversy, defending the Duggar family as the fallout continues. Instead, she's made things slightly more controversial.

"I can't believe how crazy the media is going over the Duggar family," the Alaska native, 24, wrote on her blog in a post titled, "Let’s Get This Straight, Liberals -- What Kinds of Molestation are Acceptable?"

She compared Duggar's molestation when he was 14, of five underage girls -- four of whom were his own sisters, including Jessa and Jill Duggar -- to Lena Dunham's actions as described in her book Not That Kind of Girl, in which she discusses exploring her little sister Grace Dunham's body when they were little. The 2014 memoir created widespread chatter and some criticism with Dunham's recounting of the interaction, as some saw her childhood curiosity as inappropriate.

"That makes me want to puke," Palin wrote of Dunham's first-person account of the experimentations. "Remember the liberal media outrage? Oh that's right. It didn't happen," Palin wrote in her blog post about the actress. "The liberal media darling Dunham was praised for her 'honest and witty' book. The double standards make me sick."

The political scion then defended the Duggar family as the fate of their smash reality show 19 Kids and Counting remains unknown. "Josh Duggar touched a sleeping girl's breast – a terrible thing to do. But now their ENTIRE family is punished and their hit show is canceled? He’s labeled as a pedophile? His family is crucified! Liberals in today’s media can do no wrong, while conservatives can do no right."

Palin's mom, Sarah Palin, also slammed the Girls star on her official Facebook page.

Meanwhile, Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar appeared on Fox News' The Kelly File to break their silence on the scandal in an interview with Megyn Kelly on Wednesday, June 3.

"We had no fear because everything was taken care of," the Duggar family patriarch told the show host. "That was actually a sealed juvenile record. And they had told us that all this stuff was done as a juvenile, this was all stuff that was sealed, and this is stuff that under law there is no way that this could ever be brought out."
And loving lol at Jim Bob wanting people to feel sorry for him because he took his pedophile cop friend's word for it that the files were secret instead of making the effort to understand how freedom of information laws work :911:

Hazo fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 5, 2015

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

I've actually been to graduations where someone seems like they brought their entire extended family and it sounds like they're being chosen for The Price Is Right for a solid minute or so, making the next couple names hard to hear.

Its a big day for your kid but it shouldn't be a far-fetched scenario to anyone that people are unnecessarily loud and inconsiderate of others.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Business Gorillas posted:

Its a big day for your kid but it shouldn't be a far-fetched scenario to anyone that people are unnecessarily loud and inconsiderate of others.

You're right, something should be done! Where are the arrests, I need accountability for this dire transgression!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

You're right, something should be done! Where are the arrests, I need accountability for this dire transgression!

He's just saying it happens because we're getting close to saying it doesnt.

My thing is...whats to do about it? Its a big narcissistic exercise anyway. Maybe i should call the cops and lawyers because mine was too quiet, it turned a moment of celebration into a depressing death march.

Or maybe have the kid walk again if their parents didnt like the first one?

The point being this superintendent is a loving idiot and needs to shut up and drop changes before he loses his job over a power trip.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

"That makes me want to puke," Palin wrote of Dunham's first-person account of the experimentations. "Remember the liberal media outrage? Oh that's right. It didn't happen," Palin wrote in her blog post about the actress. "The liberal media darling Dunham was praised for her 'honest and witty' book. The double standards make me sick."

What...what about the molestations themselves?

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

A 7 year old girl being curious is not the same as a 15 year old boy groping his little sisters while they sleep. Palin either doesn't know the facts or is a complete imbecile.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
It's perfectly possible to make loud people leave without arresting them, he could have even warned the crowd beforehand that people who made excessive noise would be removed. There's absolutely no justification for criminal charges, it was completely absurd and superfluous.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

beatlegs posted:

A 7 year old girl being curious is not the same as a 15 year old boy groping his little sisters while they sleep. Palin either doesn't know the facts or is a complete imbecile.

Couldn't be the latter. Nope. No way.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

beatlegs posted:

Palin doesn't know the facts and is a complete imbecile.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

MaxxBot posted:

It's perfectly possible to make loud people leave without arresting them, he could have even warned the crowd beforehand that people who made excessive noise would be removed. There's absolutely no justification for criminal charges, it was completely absurd and superfluous.

They were removed. They seemingly understood the policy and (understandably imo) decided to take the punishment in exchange for yelling for a sec. The super just seems to be upset some people scoffed at his poo poo.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Hazo posted:

My high school class was like 900 and even with maybe 5-10 seconds between each name and pre-emptive requests for families to remain silent until the end, there were still occasional whoops or whistles because seriously who cares as long as you're not drowning out the next kid's name. edit: I guess if anyone's family was out of control the reader would wait to announce the next name and also remind everyone to hold applause. Not call the police.

gently caress, man, the student area at my graduation was swamped in giant inflatable penises that people had snuck in.

Who gives a gently caress about people having fun at high school graduation

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Good Citizen posted:

gently caress, man, the student area at my graduation was swamped in giant inflatable penises that people had snuck in.

Who gives a gently caress about people having fun at high school graduation

We didn't have inflatable penises sadly but we did have beach balls and flamingos we snuck in under our robes.

Our high school was big and graduation was kind of a slog, who gives a poo poo if people want to have a bit of fun for a few seconds during the hours-long process. Be respectful of the other kids yeah- but their calling the cops is so stupidly uptight.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
LA Times says the social media and news media reaction to that gross rear end Duggar interview all but guarantees they're getting cancelled.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Intel&Sebastian posted:

LA Times says the social media and news media reaction to that gross rear end Duggar interview all but guarantees they're getting cancelled.

Like that interview was ever going to save them, even if it was good.

But their toeing the line just made it a certainty, it was absolutely awful.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Intel&Sebastian posted:

LA Times says the social media and news media reaction to that gross rear end Duggar interview all but guarantees they're getting cancelled.

Hadn't they already been pulled from the schedule? I though it was assumed their show had gotten the axe already.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

LA Times says the social media and news media reaction to that gross rear end Duggar interview all but guarantees they're getting cancelled.

It was like the opposite of damage control. It was more like damage amplification.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

It was the media equal of trying to put out a house fire with gasoline

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

To the people who "follow" them, it worked. I have witnessed several Facebook posts saying that "they believe the Duggars 200% and whoever stole this information needs to be in jail" and "I have worked with sexual assault victims who did not receive help and these girls do not look like that...the parents did the best that they could."

Hopefully, there are more sane people than those.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
BTW, this whole scandal has nicely outted people I never knew I shouldn't trust with kids. Thanks, Duggars!

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

To the people who "follow" them, it worked. I have witnessed several Facebook posts saying that "they believe the Duggars 200% and whoever stole this information needs to be in jail" and "I have worked with sexual assault victims who did not receive help and these girls do not look like that...the parents did the best that they could."

Hopefully, there are more sane people than those.

Yeah, and the number of people who follow the Duggar saga are a small number who are plugged into the right wing media sphere. Whatever casual viewership they were getting on TLC is no longer going to exist due to the show being cancelled, and most of those casual people will probably be horrified when they find out why.

The only people who support the Duggars at this point are fundie Christians that believe all matters should be settled through sharia law the church, and so their position is that the Duggars did everything they could. The rest of society is still rightly shocked by how many things they could have done that were better than what they did.

The FNC interviews are just FNC pandering to their decrepit old base and feeding their need to feel like a persecuted minority. Oh no, society doesn't accept us trying to do the criminal justice and mental health equivalents of homeschooling our sexually abusive child.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jun 5, 2015

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

beatlegs posted:

A 7 year old girl being curious is not the same as a 15 year old boy groping his little sisters while they sleep. Palin either doesn't know the facts or is a complete imbecile.

Lena Dunham, at about 14 iirc, mused about getting her parents to adopt a black girl so her younger sister could 'play' with her as she did at age 7. She has defended this on Twitter. They are both awful.
Many people don't talk about Lena's molestation out of respect for her sister, and this has been misconstrued as people keeping quiet about and condoning Lena.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

quote:

RUSH: Have you ever been at a public ceremony of any kind where a bunch of people are gonna be acknowledged and the host asks you to hold your applause individually until everybody has been recognized, and then applaud en masse? I have. I can't remember the last one. I wish I could, to give you an example. But they list people are gonna be award winners recognized for something, and the emcee says, "Please hold your applause until all have been mentioned."

Well, Senatobia, Mississippi, CBS story. "Four people who cheered at a Mississippi high school graduation may be thrown in jail after police issued warrants for their arrest. The superintendent who filed the charges said it's a necessary move and he is demanding order at the ceremony." You know what happened? People who cheered at a high school graduation could be arrested. "Senatobia Municipal School District Superintendent Jay Foster filed 'disturbing the peace' charges against four people who yelled at graduation, WREG-TV reports.

"Miller and Henry Walker were two of the four Senatobia High School graduation ceremony attendees who were asked to leave for cheering on their 18-year-old daughter, Lanarcia Walker, as she crossed the stage. 'He said, "you did it baby," waived his towel and went out the door,' Walker said of a brief video showing Henry exiting the ceremony as he cheered. 'When she went across the stage I just called her name out. "Lakaydra." Just like that.' Ursula Miller explained to WREG what she shouted to her niece at the ceremony.

"The graduation ceremony was held at Northwest Mississippi Community College, where police said the superintendent asked the crowd not to scream, and to instead hold their applause until every graduate crossed the stage. If unable to do so, cheering individuals were informed they would have to leave the ceremony." But now, they're arrested for cheering their own daughters and nieces at graduation.

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: Julie in Houston. I'm glad you called, and it's great to have you. Welcome.

CALLER: Thank you so much.

RUSH: You bet.

CALLER: I just wanted to offer an alternate viewpoint on the people that were asked to leave the graduation.

RUSH: Yeah.

CALLER: As a parent of two really successful young women throughout school, I cannot tell you the number of honors nights, sports banquets, and even graduations where they were both named valedictorians, that their speech was interrupted or their name was unheard because someone's baby mama or baby daddy in the audience or some relative was hooting and hollering, sometimes even making off-color remarks. A graduation should be more dignified, not somber and depressing, but the rules are the rules. If you can't follow them, don't play the game.

RUSH: Well, you realize for some people it is somber and depressing. It's the end of free breakfast and lunch and dinner.

CALLER: (laughing) My girls were smart enough to be aware of that, yes.

RUSH: And for some, you know, it's the end of adults hitting on them, sex, this kind of thing. The real world is a cold, cruel reality out there for some. But what about arresting people? I understand how irritating it is, if somebody stands, please hold your applause, and people don't listen and they go ahead and hoot and holler, but arresting them? Why not just kick them out of there? You have no problem arresting them, it's on their record, as you know.

CALLER: No, sir, I have absolutely no problem, because, again, the rules are the rules. It would be disturbing the peace. That is an arrestable offense in many municipalities, and, you know, they may not like those rules, but you know the rules going in, you can choose whether or not to play the game.

RUSH: Well, now, you've been to these events where such violations occurred by somebody's baby mama, did you say, and baby daddy?

CALLER: Both my children, at their respective graduations, had, yes, family members, including baby mamas and baby daddies in the audience, you know, because somebody managed to drudge across the stage with a perfect 1.5 and graduate with their kids in the audience, you know, they're carrying on as though
-- (crosstalk)

RUSH: (laughing)

CALLER: I'm sorry. My child made --

RUSH: Had their own kids in the -- (laughing)

CALLER: Well, yeah. Welcome to America.

RUSH: I know. I know. Their own kids at a high school graduation their own kids in the audience, their baby mama. (laughing) I'm sorry. I shouldn't laugh. I know it's a serious thing to you, but you're funny.

CALLER: Well --

RUSH: You are funny. You just rattle that off like it isn't any big deal. You have great comedic instincts out there.

CALLER: Pardon me?

RUSH: You have great comedic instincts, Julie.

CALLER: Well, thank you. The truth comes easily out of one's mouth, or it should.

RUSH: Yeah, I've heard that. (laughing) Heard that. (laughing)

CALLER: (laughing) Well, thank you so much for taking my call. I really appreciate it.

RUSH: You bet. Thank you so much for calling. It's been wonderful having you here.

CALLER: Thank you, sir.
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2015/06/04/arrested_for_graduation_cheering
I remember kind of laughing during the whole (crosstalk) section of that transcript because the subtext sounded racist as gently caress.

Now for some sexist bullshit

quote:

RUSH: How about this headline from The Daily Caller: "Not a Single Woman Passed the Ranger Course." Yeah, this is gonna be a problem. "The Army stated Friday that not even one woman passed the requirements for the next phase of Ranger School. This means that out of the total of eight women left in the grueling, two-month long course at Fort Benning, Georgia, five are set to drop out, USA Today reports.

"The remaining three will have the opportunity to repeat from the beginning near the end of June." They'll be able to do over, start again. "Nineteen women were brought in to Ranger School for the first time as part of a Pentagon effort to integrate women into all combat roles. During the first phase, 11 failed. All were offered another attempt."

They kept failing.

Not one woman has passed the Ranger course.

This could get ugly.
Only three percent. By the way, if you want to be a Ranger -- I learned this from Sergeant Major Ivanov -- just because you want to doesn't mean you automatically get a shot. I mean, you have to have a baseline of qualifications before you even are allowed to try to attempt to pass the Ranger school. "Only about 3 percent of the Army is capable of qualifying as a Ranger. Other Rangers think the military should lower standards to accommodate women because it’s 'equitable and sensible.'"

But that's not a dominant view yet. And one of the reasons so many of us still really cherish and are devoted to the military is precisely because their standards do matter, and they are not arbitrarily lowering the requirements for excellence and superiority simply to fit the social mores of the day. But the pressure is on.

Now, with this story, not a single woman passed the Ranger course, in a lot of places, particularly the Drive-By Media, the Democrat Party, it's gonna be unacceptable. It's gonna be a great example of discrimination that must not stand. I can hear it now. "Who are they to say, who are they to say that a woman can't be a Ranger? I know women that, if they put their mind to it, could anything they wanted to, who are they to say?"

It's gonna start like that. As it has in every police department, every fire department, and any number of other places. The strength requirements have been lessened, the physical performance standards -- well, they've had to be. Men and women are different. There was no way that women were gonna be qualified in certain departments unless they did change the standards. And it's not a criticism of women; it's acknowledgement men and women are different in a host of ways. I mean, Caitlyn Jenner might be able to pass Ranger school, but I don't know -- well, Nancy Grace says that Caitlyn Jenner may not be a woman yet.

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: Here's Dave in Raleigh, North Carolina. Glad you waited, sir. Hello.

CALLER: Hey, Rush, thanks for taking my call. You're a great American.

RUSH: I appreciate your call, sir.

CALLER: And my compliments to Mr. Snerdley, or should I say Staff Sergeant Snerdley.

RUSH: Staff Sergeant Snerdley. Whatever.

CALLER: Hey, in reference your topic regarding women and the Rangers. I'm a former United States Marine Corps officer, Rush, and I've gotta tell you the same issue is confronting the United States Marine Corps with IOC, which is the Infantry Officer Course.

RUSH: Right.

CALLER: They're trying to run the females through, and they just can't make it, and, you know, there's a lot of men that can't make this course as well. It's very rigorous. It's essentially hazing. It's very intense. It's designed to weed people out. So I've got to say, then, unless standards are dramatically relaxed or reduced, I just don't see how the females are gonna make it.

RUSH: Okay, I need to go back to something you said earlier because you chose terminology that while I'm sure you didn't mean it in a provocative way, it's going to be taken that way. You said, "And obviously the women can't take it." What does that mean? Before you even described it as hazing you said and obviously women can't take it. What does that mean?

CALLER: Well, what I meant to say was it's not only the women, but the men, a lot of the men can't take it as well. So it's a very rigorous curriculum. It's essentially hazing. It's designed to weed out the average and the weak from the strong.

RUSH: Would you go so far as to say that if it happened on Main Street on a Saturday night some of it might be criminal, the way people are treated?

CALLER: I would say it could, in today's -- Rush, absolutely.

RUSH: I mean, hazing is a good way to describe it. You know, Dave, I'm not sure how many people know. We don't get to see movies on what SEAL training is or Delta or Ranger school. We think we know what it is, and there are some, you know, allusions to it, but I think in our culture today if the wrong civil rights, human rights groups saw some of the training, they'd try to shut it down as cruel and inhumane.

CALLER: Well, and Rush, that's why I waited one hour and four minutes, because I'm compelled to discuss this topic with you, but it's necessary. It's necessary to separate the weak from the chow, and that's why we have the high standards currently in the Marine Corps and the Army, Navy, and Air Force.

RUSH: Right. No, I understand. I get it. What goes on at these schools, it's such a stark contrast to now even the toughest aspects of American culture generically. You let the wrong people find out specifically what's happening in some of this training, and I guarantee you that the hand wringers out there would be trying to shut it down as cruel and inhumane. I mean, tell me this, Dave. Is waterboard exposure and training part of the process?

CALLER: Waterboarding I've never experienced, but I know it's part of the SERE training, which is Survival, Evasion, Resistance, Escape.

RUSH: Right.

CALLER: Which is something all the air crews go through.

RUSH: Right. So we subject our recruits to waterboarding, the same thing a bunch of left-wing lawyers are trying to shut down Guantanamo Bay over. Yeah, he said that obviously the women can't take it, which is a provocative thing to say, but he didn't follow it up. Most men can't either. Not even come close. That's how unique these people are today. I mean, the people that go through Ranger school and complete it and Delta and the SEALs, they really are the closest thing we have to super men in this country.

I mean, look at Pat Tillman, who played for the Arizona Cardinals. 9/11 happens and he wants to go to Ranger school. And everybody thought, "Well, he's gonna be a lock, I mean, football, I mean, that's training like you can't believe, that's toughness," and it is. But he was not a lock. Now, he made it, obviously, and, sadly, was killed in a friendly fire incident. But it's really rigorous, and to hear the Navy secretary talk about relaxing standards so that he could up the percentage of female recruits in the Navy, but specifically the SEAL program, that's not good, just on the surface. Anyway, Dave I appreciate the call very much.
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2015/06/04/this_could_get_ugly_not_a_single_woman_passed_the_ranger_course

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

RoanHorse posted:

Lena Dunham, at about 14 iirc, mused about getting her parents to adopt a black girl so her younger sister could 'play' with her as she did at age 7. She has defended this on Twitter. They are both awful.
Many people don't talk about Lena's molestation out of respect for her sister, and this has been misconstrued as people keeping quiet about and condoning Lena.
Dunham is a gross weirdo who needs to be shunned back into obscurity. Even though she's not one of us, her bullshit is helping obfuscate the issue. She's pretty much Bristol's opposite number. Dumb, obnoxious, and only managed to get a career through nepotism.

I've been at graduations where somebody's family really overdid the cheering when other people's names were being read. It's loving rude but not worth arresting people over.

Edit: Also I wouldn't get too excited over the show being cancelled just yet. The Duck Dynasty idiots managed to ride out the storm after morons circled the wagons around them. Nothing at all happened after head dumbass told everyone about his bizarre atheist rape and murder fantasy a few months ago.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jun 5, 2015

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Do some people not realize that high school graduation may be the highest level of education some people get? I mean if you have a low income background, then going to anything higher than a community college is out of your reach, especially with the high costs of college tuition. What's the big deal if your family wants to cheer you on for graduating high school? It takes like 5 seconds of extra time, but so what, let people have their fun.

This basically boils down to "look at them blacks a hoopin' and a hollerin'".

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Vargatron posted:

Do some people not realize that high school graduation may be the highest level of education some people get?

Maybe if they'd tried a little harder, they'd be able to go to college and make REAL income.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Vargatron posted:

This basically boils down to "look at them blacks a hoopin' and a hollerin'".

Yep. Cops also look the other way all the time so the idea that they HAD to serve those arrests is laughable.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Duke Igthorn posted:

At my graduation it was "Duke. Igthorn." *several seconds of me getting up to walk and accept my diploma*

Is it not that everywhere? Are there places where they read the names rapid fire fashion and shoot diplomas at students out of T-shirt cannons when they raise their hands and if they don't raise in time it's four more years of school?

Man, your HS graduation sounds boring as hell. Mine had people whooping and cheering, air horns, people dancing on stage when their names were called, a guy dying his shoulder length hair into a rainbow and a bunch of people going commando under the robes they made us wear.

I went to an inner city school so maybe all that seems a bit stereotypical but it was way more entertaining than sitting quietly waiting for your name to be called

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Man, your HS graduation sounds boring as hell. Mine had people whooping and cheering, air horns, people dancing on stage when their names were called, a guy dying his shoulder length hair into a rainbow and a bunch of people going commando under the robes they made us wear.

I went to an inner city school so maybe all that seems a bit stereotypical but it was way more entertaining than sitting quietly waiting for your name to be called

Oh it was (Connecticut) but I was talking towards the idea that you could somehow "miss your name" because of people shouting. Rush's totally real caller up above says the same thing. As if the process is "D-*person yells*... No? Well look who doesn't get to graduate." Instead of each name getting a few seconds of silence as the named party walks across stage. As in exactly what the mother is saying she did.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

RoanHorse posted:

Many people don't talk about Lena's molestation out of respect for her sister, and this has been misconstrued as people keeping quiet about and condoning Lena.

I thought the backlash to Dunham was pretty strong when her book came out. I probably put more stock in Ana Kasparian being grossed out by something than the lamestream media, though.

CrowdControl
Aug 2, 2011

Uhh Tommy, I think I'm just gonna sleep at my house tonight...
It's not like they are calling you at random from an audience anyway. You know exactly when they will call you, your are next in line!

My graduation was the typical 3 hour death march into adulthood this guy wants and it was aweful. I even tried to skip it entirely but was forced into it anyway and to this day I reget not staying home and playing video games instead. The only thing that made that process bearable was the few families who did break the to rules and it was always a few seconds of disruption followed by a request to be silent until the end.

I hope this guy gets every ounce backlash that's coming to him for this power trip.

CrowdControl fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 5, 2015

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4