Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Congrats on avoiding engineering, sorry about Norfolk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

Congrats on avoiding engineering, sorry about SWONorfolk.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Posting from Norfolk. Desk chair floated away. Send rafts.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Boon posted:

Heh. Actually looking forward to Norfolk. I guess it's more dramatic when you have somewhat of a decent expectation that's eventually going to be shredded. Looking at Ghent or Chicks Beach. Maybe even Virginia Beach?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
What horrible things have you had in your life to make you look forward to Norfolk?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

What horrible things have you had in your life to make you look forward to Norfolk?

If I remember correct, he was enlisted, then Academy, and now SWO so, a lot of horrible things.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nick Soapdish posted:

If I remember correct, he was enlisted, then Academy, and now SWO so, a lot of horrible things.

Wow. And I thought I've made some poor life choices.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Wow. And I thought I've made some poor life choices.

Punishment continues. Shoulda been P-3/P-8 pilot.

Only saving grace for Norfolk is closer to family and friends.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

Geizkragen posted:

Anybody ever lived in Fallon? On base or in town, doesn't matter.

My old roommate told me some horror stories about that place- granted he was an E-1 at the time living in the barracks, but I hope you enjoy nothingness and a few local dive bars. The best story was the time some guy went over to another guy's house belligerently drunk and the homeowner stabbed him in the neck with a knife and got away with self-defense or something like that.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Geizkragen posted:

I PCSed there a few months ago, living out in town.

Boon posted:

One of my friends posted a video from the flight line there this afternoon. Did not look pleasant.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Howard Phillips posted:

Punishment continues. Shoulda been P-3/P-8 pilot.

Only saving grace for Norfolk is closer to family and friends.

Chic's beach ain't bad but that's a long drive to NOB from there.

Ghent is the nice side of town.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Geizkragen posted:

Twilight orders in Fallon? :stare:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

germskr posted:

My old roommate told me some horror stories about that place- granted he was an E-1 at the time living in the barracks, but I hope you enjoy nothingness and a few local dive bars. The best story was the time some guy went over to another guy's house belligerently drunk and the homeowner stabbed him in the neck with a knife and got away with self-defense or something like that.

Well, like a lot of places, if you don't have a car, it's gonna suck. If you do have a car, you're an hour from Reno, and two hours from Lake Tahoe. If you feel like it, you can go skiiing/biking/hiking/whatever every single weekend, surrounded by the glory and grandeur of the Sierra Nevada mountains.

Even by itself though, Fallon is way better than, say, Lemoore. I know that's not exactly high praise, but as long as you're not dead set on a banging night life scene it's actually not bad.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

If you feel like it, you can go skiiing/biking/hiking/whatever every single weekend...

You can do all that plus surf and hit the beach in San Diego, which is LOADS better than Fallon. Also, what's the BAH rate there? For E-5 and under, it's under 1k and while I'm sure housing is cheap out there, it kind of says a lot about the area.

In other news, I'm TAD to an Army base for the next 3 weeks and was exposed to the HOOAH after arriving today... people here like to walk around in uniform well after business hours. This is gonna be a fun 3 weeks.

Edit:

for the admin gurus out there, if Army lodging was privatized and no longer issues CNAs (says so on the website), am I required to stay on post if lodging is available at the Army lodge or can I extend my booking at this wonderful residence inn I'm in. At least this place has a kitchen. I mean as it is, I'm paying out of pocket until my advance travel request comes in, and I should be entitled to the full per diem rate.

germskr fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 5, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Well I mean sounds like he has orders there not that he has a choice?

lovely bases are lovely bases. Nothing you can do. Just gotta find ways to keep busy and active and not just bitch the whole time

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

germskr posted:

Edit:

for the admin gurus out there, if Army lodging was privatized and no longer issues CNAs (says so on the website), am I required to stay on post if lodging is available at the Army lodge or can I extend my booking at this wonderful residence inn I'm in. At least this place has a kitchen. I mean as it is, I'm paying out of pocket until my advance travel request comes in, and I should be entitled to the full per diem rate.

If you have a retarded AO, print out the page that says they don't provide CNAs and attach it as a substantiating record with your lodging receipt. As long as it's within daily max lodging you'll be fine. If your AO is civil service there's a not-insignificant chance that they a.) Don't remember that military people are supposed to use Gov't first, and b.) will not know if it's available at your TDY location.

Lodging through DTS is changing. Gov't Lodging will soon (it was supposed to be Jun 1, but that's changed) be available and CNAs will automatically be generated by DTS. If not available it will shunt you to commercial preferred, followed by FEMA Certified, and then the same thing as the fourth tab on the airfare section.

There's like 6 pilot locations that it's supposed to be happening for first, with gradual expansion to everywhere. Norfolk and Saratoga Springs are the Navy ones, and JBLM is the only one I can remember off the top of my head.

If this makes you angry, there's some light at the end of the tunnel: Civil service will now be forced into Gov't Lodging in the pilot locations meaning availability will be lower and you're more likely to get a CNA. Just wait until last minute to book.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

germskr posted:

You can do all that plus surf and hit the beach in San Diego, which is LOADS better than Fallon. Also, what's the BAH rate there? For E-5 and under, it's under 1k and while I'm sure housing is cheap out there, it kind of says a lot about the area.

Well, yeah, nobody is saying it's better than San Diego. But not everyone can do their entire career in SD. All I'm saying is Fallon is far from the worst place you can end up.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Welp, rumor going around that E4/below won't get overnight lib in port.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Howard Phillips posted:

Welp got my 2nd tour DIVO slate. FCO in Norfolk. Anybody know how long the FCO COI at Dahlgren is?

Unless it's changed significantly it's 7 weeks, followed by 2 weeks of BMD if your ship is capable.

Make sure you make reservations now if possible. Base lodging fills up very quickly and living in the one hotel in town is a huge pain in the dick even if it's rooms are a bit nicer then on base.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Also Ghent is nice provided you don't mind partying with every other 20 something JO in the Navy every time you go out.

Fake edit: lol Norfolk

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

ManMythLegend posted:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CMD598 posted:

Welp, rumor going around that E4/below won't get overnight lib in port.

USS last ship you had to be E-5 or above to qualify for overnight liberty, unless you were JSOQ/BJOQ.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
dunno if anyone here was on the vinson, but congrats to anyone that just got pulled home today. picked up my bro off the ship and we got mexican and beers, homie got me a kaffiyeh its pretty dope

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ManMythLegend posted:

Also Ghent is nice provided you don't mind partying with every other 20 something JO in the Navy every time you go out.

I actually recommend Ghent. Va Beach is basically where every JO from Oceana lives and between that and Chik's Beach it's like living college all over again.

Ghent is basically gentrification incarnate. The area itself has a lot of great restaurants and pubs, but the areas around it are starting to expand with new things coming in. West Ghent (Chelsea) has Smartmouth brewery with a great Mexican bar and a stone-fired pizza place is located next door to my favorite beer bar in Norfolk (The Birch). Where I live I have a winery, brewery, multiple pubs, and multiple fast food and restaurants within 2-3 blocks of my apartment. Downtown is about a 20 minute walk to the Norva (concert hall) or the harbor park where a lot of festivals are held throughout the summer. It doesn't have the party atmosphere of Va Beach but does have a significant young population due to the proximity of ODU.

As far as Dahlgren goes - I stay in Fredericksburg every time I go up there. It may not be an option to you, but if the base is filled and you have transport, the per diem difference is like $1... It's about a 35-45 minute drive in the morning but historic district of Fredericksburg can be a lot of fun - also an all girls college is located in the town. Soooooooo

Does anyone have any information on Fallon? I'm try to negotiate a reserve billet out at NSAWC (NADWC now) and I don't really know a whole lot about the place.

Boon fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 5, 2015

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Boon posted:

I actually recommend Ghent. Va Beach is basically where every JO from Oceana lives and between that and Chik's Beach it's like living college all over again.

Ghent is basically gentrification incarnate. The area itself has a lot of great restaurants and pubs, but the areas around it are starting to expand with new things coming in. West Ghent (Chelsea) has Smartmouth brewery with a great Mexican bar and a stone-fired pizza place is located next door to my favorite beer bar in Norfolk (The Birch). Where I live I have a winery, brewery, multiple pubs, and multiple fast food and restaurants within 2-3 blocks of my apartment. Downtown is about a 20 minute walk to the Norva (concert hall) or the harbor park where a lot of festivals are held throughout the summer. It doesn't have the party atmosphere of Va Beach but does have a significant young population due to the proximity of ODU.

As far as Dahlgren goes - I stay in Fredericksburg every time I go up there. It may not be an option to you, but if the base is filled and you have transport, the per diem difference is like $1... It's about a 35-45 minute drive in the morning but historic district of Fredericksburg can be a lot of fun - also an all girls college is located in the town. Soooooooo

Does anyone have any information on Fallon? I'm try to negotiate a reserve billet out at NSAWC (NADWC now) and I don't really know a whole lot about the place.

Thanks for info.

For Dahlgren I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to find a place out in town cause I'm getting orders super close to convene date. People have told me that I will get a Certificate of Nonavailibity, have never dealt with that.

Yeah I'm leaning more towards Ghent. I kinda live minimalist lifestyle so kinda want a modern upscale studio apartment. Only stipulation is that I want to be walking distance (5-10min) to a decent grocery store.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Howard Phillips posted:

Thanks for info.

For Dahlgren I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to find a place out in town cause I'm getting orders super close to convene date. People have told me that I will get a Certificate of Nonavailibity, have never dealt with that.

Yeah I'm leaning more towards Ghent. I kinda live minimalist lifestyle so kinda want a modern upscale studio apartment. Only stipulation is that I want to be walking distance (5-10min) to a decent grocery store.

If you go the Ghent route I can recommend you my own apartment complex (201 Twenty One) - it has a garage as well as studios. Full disclosure, if you choose my building and you put me on the recommendation for the application, I get a financial bonus out of it (month's rent free). It's two blocks from a good pizza bar (Cogan's), a great café (Stella's), and there is an upscale grocery store (Harris Teeters) about 4-5 blocks away. There is also a Farm Fresh and another which escapes me at the moment anywhere between 5 and 10 blocks down 21st street.

There are other apartment buildings in the area including a brand new one a block away as well as multiple individual apartment buildings. Do some research, find a price you'd like and let me know if you end up wanting to go the 201 route!

CNA's are relatively easy but you won't get it until you actually show up, which makes it difficult to plan lodging. If you work with them ahead of time you may be able to get the CNA in advance but I don't know for sure. If you've ever worked with DTS (Defense Travel System), what you're going to do is when you submit your eventual voucher you'll upload all receipts as well as the CNA for justification as to why you're not using military housing and include some verbiage to that affect in the page where DTS self-analyzes and flags discrepancies. The DTS itself will likely be handled by admin on your ship. If you have a vehicle while you're there save the gas receipts as well as the rental agreement. If you're using a POV, you'll be refunded for the mileage both to and from as well as mileage in/around. If you use a POV don't let your admin gently caress you out of that in/around mileage, currently the mileage is paid at .57/mile...

Boon fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 5, 2015

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Boon posted:

- also an all girls college is located in the town. Soooooooo

Sorry to burst your bubble. Mary Washington has been coed since like 92. I went there before falling out and becoming enlisted scum. It was a horrible 80/20 female/male split.

Time for my first CPO365 event. I wonder how rewarding it has to be to make up for the fact I woke up at 4 am to get here!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Howard Phillips posted:

Thanks for info.

Is your school enroute our are you going TDY after you check in?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Finally got my orders. Going home to the USS Couch. Leaving Pensacola on Tuesday and have to check in Monday. Kind of a long drive and I was hoping to sight see besides roadkill on the I10. Only thing I'm going to really stop for is the WW2 museum in New Orleans.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

LingcodKilla posted:

Finally got my orders. Going home to the USS Couch. Leaving Pensacola on Tuesday and have to check in Monday. Kind of a long drive and I was hoping to sight see besides roadkill on the I10. Only thing I'm going to really stop for is the WW2 museum in New Orleans.

You should check the NOLA.com calendar for events in new orleans. I think oyster fest is coming up and there are tons of events all summer long there.

Edit: Actually you just missed oyster fest. Doesn't really matter though its pretty easy to have a good time in new orleans.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Kawasaki Nun posted:

You should check the NOLA.com calendar for events in new orleans. I think oyster fest is coming up and there are tons of events all summer long there.

Edit: Actually you just missed oyster fest. Doesn't really matter though its pretty easy to have a good time in new orleans.

Need to find a good place to eat. Any personal favorites?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

vulturesrow posted:

Is your school enroute our are you going TDY after you check in?

Don't know yet. No orders on hand. Detailer said 2 weeks for orders.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Laranzu posted:

Time for my first CPO365 event. I wonder how rewarding it has to be to make up for the fact I woke up at 4 am to get here!

Probably not very as it is super dependent on how active/involved the Mess wants to be.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

Probably not very as it is super dependent on how active/involved the Mess wants to be.

My post was entirely sarcasm. I was expecting a half rear end run and half rear end "heritage training" you can't even hear.

Strangely that's exactly what I got.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Laranzu posted:

Strangely that's exactly what I got.

Meeting expectations, a cherished moment.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Boon posted:

Most of the time it's hot and dry. Small town charm with only a moderate amount of meth. There's a pan-Asian restaurant with an all-you-can-eat sushi option for the brave at heart (also a curiously good Vietnamese place). We were just discussing it upthread; you can PM me if you have any specific questions.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

LingcodKilla posted:

You can visit NCBC Gulfport, MS and have Seabees make fun of you, or go for a swim in the Gulf and lose a leg due to toxic infection because the water is literally 25% sewage.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
If you do hit up Gulfport, make sure to visit Michael's and go home with a dependa whose boo just deployed. (Kidding, don't.)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

germskr posted:

If you do hit up Gulfport, make sure to visit Michael's and go home with a dependa whose boo just deployed. (Kidding, don't.)

I'm a one dependa sort of squid.
My old bunk mate is with the seebees their but it seems kind of out of the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

When I was in Gulfport last January some dudes tried to get me to go to Michael's with them. I looked it up on Yelp or whatever and told them NOPE. I went and ate kickass oysters by myself and was glad for it.

Edit: Don't waste your life visiting Gulfport unless you're under orders. There's nothing there. Go hang out at Jackson Square in New Orleans and eat some french donuts.

DustyNuts fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 6, 2015

• Locked thread