Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gologle posted:

You know what I just realized? Type-0 has an honest to God world map, like the old Final Fantasies. That's how you should do it in the modern age. It works beautifully.

A large boring timesink that is comprised largely of empty space and literally copy-pasted areas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, Type-0's world map is awful, it's just a huge waste of time to get anywhere.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
But I still like it, because that's also sort of the situation with the old Final Fantasies. Other than the Veldt for gau, you didn't need to go anywhere you didn't want to go.

EDIT: Wait, I phrased that wrong. Oh well. Point is I like it. Just big dumb empty space for you to cross, like an actual world instead of a hallway (even though it is still a hallway).

Gologle fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 5, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gologle posted:

But I still like it, because that's also sort of the situation with the old Final Fantasies. Other than the Veldt for gau, you didn't need to go anywhere you didn't want to go.

The older Final Fantays games had heavily designed world maps. There was very little 'empty space' between areas and you were usually funneled towards interesting things. Most if not all towns were distinctive places and had a distinctive purpose because they were rest-steps along your road from area to area.

FFT0's map isn't anything like that. It's designed primarily for the MOBA-esque war sequences and so it has a lot of barren space, very little in the way of distinctive towns, and in general it's just kind of a mess.

I mean the idea of a world map isn't bad but FFT0's is kind of a big ol' example of a Bad World Map.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
So when does ff6 get interesting

I've played this game a number of times and it leaves me bored to tears every time, the furthest I've made it is the beginning of the world of ruin but most of the time I get burnt out on how bland the gameplay is for the first four or five hours. The three scenario selection screen fills me with the same kind of dread that having homework to do on a Sunday did as a kid

Does this game get mechanically interesting or should I just give up, admit 6 isn't my type of ff, and go start another run of 1 or 5

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Guys I really don't enjoy this video game but I keep playing the first 10 hours of it over and over again please send help.

Also it seems super weird to complain about a game not being mechanically interesting then say you're super into Final Fantasy 1 of all them.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 5, 2015

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

pretty soft girl posted:

So when does ff6 get interesting

I've played this game a number of times and it leaves me bored to tears every time, the furthest I've made it is the beginning of the world of ruin but most of the time I get burnt out on how bland the gameplay is for the first four or five hours. The three scenario selection screen fills me with the same kind of dread that having homework to do on a Sunday did as a kid

Does this game get mechanically interesting or should I just give up, admit 6 isn't my type of ff, and go start another run of 1 or 5

Probably you should give up, I say this because Sabin's scenario is one of the parts of the game I enjoy the most and the only major mechanical addition from there on is Espers. I really like FFVI but not for the gameplay so if it's not doing it for you just turn it off.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
FF6 is a lot more like the job system games once you get espers and have the ability to construct a party with 6+ people to choose from, but that's at least a third of the way into the game

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Guys I really don't enjoy this video game but I keep playing the first 10 hours of it over and over again please send help.

Also it seems super weird to complain about a game not being mechanically interesting then say you're super into Final Fantasy 1 of all them.

Final Fantasy Megathread: Your favorite game is the worst game in the series

For as much as everyone says FF6 is great and amazing I kind of wanted to see if it ever has a pay off and it doesn't seem like it does??? I try it once every couple of years when I feel like playing an old FF and I've run through the good ones too many times and nope it still sucks and is very boring and takes forever to get anywhere

I really liked FF4 as a kid and still kind of do even though in my heart I know it's a terribly uninteresting game mechanically and its writing and story is actually kind of dumb, is 6 like that? Do I have to go back in time and play it when I'm 10 to fully enjoy it?

pretty soft girl fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 5, 2015

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

pretty soft girl posted:

Final Fantasy Megathread: Your favorite game is the worst game in the series

For as much as everyone says FF6 is great and amazing I kind of wanted to see if it ever has a pay off and it doesn't seem like it does??? I try it once every couple of years when I feel like playing an old FF and I've run through the good ones too many times and nope it still sucks and is very boring and takes forever to get anywhere

I really liked FF4 as a kid and still kind of do even though in my heart I know it's a terribly uninteresting game mechanically and its writing and story is actually kind of dumb, is 6 like that? Do I have to go back in time and play it when I'm 10 to fully enjoy it?

Nah 6 at least has slightly more interesting characters/moments than FF4 and 5 did and a much more cohesive setting and art direction. It's kind of low on my own list and it is not exactly a great game nowadays but in all honesty it holds up a lot better than most Final fantasies do .

It's perfectly natural and okay to not like a game that is good/other people like. it doesn't mean you have to be a baby to like it, it's just not for you.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
If you didn't like the World of Balance you don't like FF6

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

corn in the bible posted:

If you didn't like the World of Balance you don't like FF6
This, I thought 6 was really fun all the way through.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

T.G. Xarbala posted:

crowfeathers make the lets play

crowfeathers made the lets play http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3724170

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I wish FF6 were harder so that there were more of a reason to get into its mechanics. That's the game that needs a remake like 4 got on DS.

I think that 8 was made of incredibly cool events that are much better out of context than in context. Treat it like the video game equivalent of a music video: a sequence of fleeting impressions.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Once I found out FF8 was targeted at women and it was basically a shoujo manga I understood it so much more.

Cloud3514
May 28, 2015

Terper posted:

Once I found out FF8 was targeted at women and it was basically a shoujo manga I understood it so much more.

Holy poo poo, FF8 makes so much sense now.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yeah except if ff8 is going to be a shoujo manga it should have some dreamy dudes not loving zell

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

good

bad

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Cake Attack posted:

yeah except if ff8 is going to be a shoujo manga it should have some dreamy dudes not loving zell
Or Squall for that matter.

Checks out with Laguna and his buddies though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cake Attack posted:

As if you wouldn't let Zell choke on your hotdog.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the freshmaker

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I want a video game with a female lead and her harem of hot boys and you're not focused on saving the world but going around villages trying to make your country a better place one at a time, and just happen to get caught up in big fights.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Terper posted:

I want a video game with a female lead and her harem of hot boys and you're not focused on saving the world but going around villages trying to make your country a better place one at a time, and just happen to get caught up in big fights.

Isn't this basically Fire Emblem IF

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Third path, hopefully.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Accordion Man posted:

Or Squall for that matter.

Checks out with Laguna and his buddies though.

Yeah, Ward's beer belly and goofy-rear end limit break are so dreamy.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah, Ward's beer belly and goofy-rear end limit break are so dreamy.
drat right. :haw:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Barudak posted:

On the note of the SeeD exam it kills me every time that their is a third, named character who passes that test which implies either the whole rest of his squad is Seifer caliber candidates or they died completing their objectives but that poor bastard gets made your garden driver and gets one line reminding you who he is and then does literally nothing else for the rest of the game.

Doesn't Cid even whisper to this guy that he expects great things from the 4th graduate?

Barudak posted:

So Squall my teacher student crush on you that got me fired is actually because I used to be your big sister but my memories have become warped. Ha ha, this is definitely normal and ill just never talk again after this point because really this hole can only be dug deeper.

Don't forget about apparent anti-GF sentiment in the FF8 world!

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Terper posted:

I haven't played enough of them to know for certain but isn't this basically what the Atelier games are? You're a girl with an alchemy shop and you need to make it not fail. You can choose to build a team of pretty boys around you, and it's more about gathering ingredients and making poo poo than fighting world-destroying megabeasts.

That said, I found myself bored to tears by Rorona within a few hours of gameplay. Whoever kept telling me that it was a good game that I should definitely pick up was wrong.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Sunning posted:

I've always found Seifer to be MVP of Garden. During the field exam, he correctly predicts that the communications tower was the centerpiece of the invasion and his actions may have helped turn a military occupation into a ceasefire. He also easily abducts the President at a telecast without an elaborate train hijacking.

Failing the SeeD exam multiple times is a badge of honor.

"There's no way our team of 4 SeeDs, Rinoa, and her Bazooka dog can get to the president in the Television studio! He's too heavily guarded!"

*30 seconds later, Seifer single-handed waltzes into the television studio, defeats the two faceless grunts, and takes the president hostage.*

The more I think about FF8, the more I think it might all be one really subtle but intentional farce.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Schwartzcough posted:

"There's no way our team of 4 SeeDs, Rinoa, and her Bazooka dog can get to the president in the Television studio! He's too heavily guarded!"

*30 seconds later, Seifer single-handed waltzes into the television studio, defeats the two faceless grunts, and takes the president hostage.*

The more I think about FF8, the more I think it might all be one really subtle but intentional farce.

nooo don't make someone post squall is dead

too late

I did it

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ash is dead in pokemon whoa so deep wow

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Minrad posted:

nooo don't make someone post squall is dead

too late

I did it

Squall is dead

And we killed him

Cloud3514
May 28, 2015
I know a guy who's favorite Final Fantasy is FF8. Your guess as to how is as good as mine. Could be worse though, his favorite could be FFXIII.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tae posted:

Isn't this basically Fire Emblem IF

They said a game, not a game split into 3 full cost games

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Aurain posted:

So do you not know anything about If beyond that

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Aurain posted:

That's not what they're doing, and you'd know this if you did the slightest bit of research.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Okay.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWPQ6t4uQXw

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Oh hey the Android version of Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions is finally out in English, over two years after the Japanese release. Anyone have any experience with the Japanese and/or the iOS versions, are they good ports that work well on a touch screen? Do they still have the slowdown from the PSP version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

CeallaSo posted:

I haven't played enough of them to know for certain but isn't this basically what the Atelier games are? You're a girl with an alchemy shop and you need to make it not fail. You can choose to build a team of pretty boys around you, and it's more about gathering ingredients and making poo poo than fighting world-destroying megabeasts.

That said, I found myself bored to tears by Rorona within a few hours of gameplay. Whoever kept telling me that it was a good game that I should definitely pick up was wrong.

I'm in the same boat on Rorona so I don't know if I should move on to another one (got a few of them during a flash sale) or if it just isn't my series.