Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Takoluka posted:

ty for the tips

I'm still learning a lot of the ins-and-outs of all the equipment. Is there a definitely guide for role-based loadouts? Like, if you want to be a hunter or a territory-coverer?

Just play and have fun instead of worrying about spergy minmax poo poo. You don't have to listen to people pretending they're supreme experts after a whole week of the game being out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
No one talking about the paintbrush dropping tomorrow morning?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

noirstronaut posted:

No one talking about the paintbrush dropping tomorrow morning?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Inkbrush tomorrow! https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/606747561286696960

"Pablo", sprinkler sub-weapon, tornado (inkstrike) special.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

raditts posted:

Just play and have fun instead of worrying about spergy minmax poo poo. You don't have to listen to people pretending they're supreme experts after a whole week of the game being out.

I have won games with just about every weapon, and gotten owned by every kind of weapon. Use what you like, wear what you like and quit stressing about metagame bullshit.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
They should've called it the Jackson :colbert:

What time does it drop?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

njsykora posted:

I have won games with just about every weapon, and gotten owned by every kind of weapon. Use what you like, wear what you like and quit stressing about metagame bullshit.

Do not listen to this man!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Drastic Actions posted:

Since this is Splatoon related, people might care about this: Splatoon fighter costumes are coming to Smash Brothers.

This was announced in one of the Nintendo Directs awhile back, yeah. I think it was a pre-order bonus though? Hopefully we'll all get it eventually.

Szmitten posted:

Kinda wish there was a massive database where I could search for loadouts by sub-weapon or special.

The internet will provide one before long.

raditts posted:

Seriously its Splatoon not Counter Strike.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Spergy min max poo poo..... It's actually really fresh to do

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Takoluka posted:

ty for the tips

I'm still learning a lot of the ins-and-outs of all the equipment. Is there a definitely guide for role-based loadouts? Like, if you want to be a hunter or a territory-coverer?

Not really. Certain weapons are better at certain things, obviously, and the sub and special weapons make some variants better at things than their alternatives (with the Aerosprays, for example, I'd put the MG as better at combat, thanks to seekers and the Inkzooka, while the RG has the Inkstrike), but experiment with gear or just wear what you like. It's not a huge deal.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Szmitten posted:

Kinda wish there was a massive database where I could search for loadouts by sub-weapon or special.

The guide has this info decently organized and it's only $10 on Amazon. But it doesn't mention weapons like the paintbrush or anything beyond Splatfest, though it does have a code for a mobile version that might get these updates? EDIT: Yes, mobile version is getting updates as new features are rolled out.

I normally don't get guides but this one was cheap and it's fun to look at.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Try and get unique perks on your gear and avoid atk & def up. Or don't, Im a squid not a cop.

Caerulius
Jun 23, 2007

This was a waste of $5.

Szmitten posted:

Low tech spreadsheet.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

SPEAKING OF MIN MAXING

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.
Okay what is the One Weird Trick to Port Mackerel that I'm just not finding? With how much people were complaining about the Mall there's gotta be something I'm missing on this map that lets you break out of the choke near where your Splat Zone would be.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I change my weapon and whole outfit every few matches and finish with the highest score a lot of the time so I dunno why people put so much thought into these things

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Yeah, we had that list in here yesterday.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Misandu posted:

Okay what is the One Weird Trick to Port Mackerel that I'm just not finding? With how much people were complaining about the Mall there's gotta be something I'm missing on this map that lets you break out of the choke near where your Splat Zone would be.

Uh... the side lanes? Have a team that is anywhere close to the enemies' in skill?

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I think the Damage and Defense ups might be slightly more useful than the shooting range datamining shows, because the shooting range dummies don't take any damage from being in your ink. The Damage Up might not be able to push guns from a 3HKO to a 2HKO just from shot damage alone, but the additional ink damage might just be enough to tip that over the edge, even with Ink Resistance shoes.

Still probably better to take stuff like Tenacity though.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Count Uvula posted:

Uh... the side lanes? Have a team that is anywhere close to the enemies' in skill?

The side lanes funnel into the area near your Splat Zone and don't give you hardly any room to maneuver/take out enemies below you. Even on Turf War if the enemy team is holding that area down it's very easy for them to keep you contained in your part of the map it feels like.

I tried to find a map of the whole stage to show what I meant exactly but I couldn't find one.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Misandu posted:

Zig-zag between the lanes / hide in the crossways until the dude walks by, shoot him in the back, and continue forward

edit: there are far fewer chokepoints on this map compared to the mall

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015

Sockser posted:

Sewer guy is a Cuttlefish, not a squid.

Also,
I'm thinking about making a Splatoon costume for NYCC. Obviously I need a weapon of some sort, what would you dudes recommend as the ideal Super Soaker for such an adventure?

The Splashzooka is pretty good, I think

e: For full showmanship, I should make myself a giant roller, of course.

I'm a few pages late so maybe someone's already covered this but if you've got plenty of cardboard and some paint here's some papercraft-style tutorials for making the splattershot and ink tank.

http://stupjam.deviantart.com/art/Ink-Shot-Tutorial-488183368

http://stupjam.deviantart.com/art/Ink-Tank-Tutorial-488193028

I'm going to try making these for Dragon Con but I think I'm going to use some leftover foam we have. Can probably still use some of the patterns from this tutorial as templates though.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Cap'n Cuttlefish is in fact an inkling, on the topic of the first line from that post; he himself states being part of an inkling splatoon in the past, and he's Callie and Marie's grandfather, among other things. I think he might pop up in a scroll or two as well, though I'd need to check to be sure. "Cuttlefish" is just his name, unless there are cuttlefish inklings as well as squid ones.

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015

Truxton posted:

He'll look like this ingame in order to maintain an E-10/Pegi 7/A rating.

Edit: The censor shadow needed to be a bit bigger and more gratuitous.

Just change it to a lollipop instead, like Kojak.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Every inkling is actually holding an AK47.

And that ink?
BLOOD.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Randumb Thots posted:

I'm a few pages late so maybe someone's already covered this but if you've got plenty of cardboard and some paint here's some papercraft-style tutorials for making the splattershot and ink tank.

http://stupjam.deviantart.com/art/Ink-Shot-Tutorial-488183368

http://stupjam.deviantart.com/art/Ink-Tank-Tutorial-488193028

I'm going to try making these for Dragon Con but I think I'm going to use some leftover foam we have. Can probably still use some of the patterns from this tutorial as templates though.

These are awesome references, thanks!

I think I'm going to try to do a double wall thing for the tank, so sorta like one of these guys
( e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cootfbTOGmE )

and then have the tank be able to be opened so I can still put stuff like signed prints and whatnot inside.

Will probably make one out of foam going from photo references, I guess. Maybe still use a super soaker as a base, I dunno.

Thanks, though.

Sockser fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 5, 2015

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Zig-zag between the lanes / hide in the crossways until the dude walks by, shoot him in the back, and continue forward

edit: there are far fewer chokepoints on this map compared to the mall

There's no reason to walk forward if you're already holding the area I'm talking about. On either game type you have everything you need to win.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Zaphod42 posted:

Guys its okay if people like different guns than you. :v: Variety is the spice of life.

:tinfoil: Interesting...

I'd like to amend my theory since no other brands are as rare and it, like Amiibo and Cuttlegear, supposedly has no sub buff bias: KOG may be a special/exclusive only available in certain circumstances.

Whatever it is though, something seems up with the brand.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012
So how much did that Amiibo 3-pack sell for? I have the girl, but I suddenly want the other two and I want to know how much I'd be getting gouged for if I decide to buy from a dirty, dirty reseller.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I'd like to amend my theory since no other brands are as rare and it, like Amiibo and Cuttlegear, supposedly has no sub buff bias: KOG may be a special/exclusive only available in certain circumstances.

Whatever it is though, something seems up with the brand.

Apparently they're a real life brand, and they're selling the shirts that appear in-game under them. (Thanks to someone on IRC for providing me this info when I asked about KOG myself, meanwhile.)

oopsie rock posted:

So how much did that Amiibo 3-pack sell for? I have the girl, but I suddenly want the other two and I want to know how much I'd be getting gouged for if I decide to buy from a dirty, dirty reseller.

$35.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

oopsie rock posted:

$35 retail, looks like scalpers are asking for twice that. :argh:

Also look at all the ebay sales for "empty amiibo case" :what:

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

$35 retail, looks like scalpers are asking for twice that. :argh:

Also look at all the ebay sales for "empty amiibo case" :what:

Thanks, dudes.

In my area I see them going for $50-60, but I need to think about whether I want to pay that much for two figures I want and a third that I would have to sell out of box since I already have one.

Should've just bought the 3-pack when I saw it last week. I thought I was being frugal but I guess I was just being an idiot.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

^^ check your nearest Toys R Us

Misandu posted:

There's no reason to walk forward if you're already holding the area I'm talking about. On either game type you have everything you need to win.

I don't follow what you're asking about then - there are like 8 different "entry points" into the open areas where the splat zones sit, people just standing there guarding the zones aren't particularly safe

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

I heard that they got more stock than other places, but I live in an area with a high concentration of nerds. Do you think I'd still have a chance of getting the 3-pack?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

oopsie rock posted:

I heard that they got more stock than other places, but I live in an area with a high concentration of nerds. Do you think I'd still have a chance of getting the 3-pack?

It's possible - I don't think it would hurt to at least call and ask if it's not super-close

I found a Port Mackerel map image for the discussion:

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

I don't follow what you're asking about then - there are like 8 different "entry points" into the open areas where the splat zones sit, people just standing there guarding the zones aren't particularly safe

Oh hey a map, let me make a post!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I find that getting on top of the boxes in the middle and riding around on the zamboni really lets you ambush people who don't see you coming.

Otherwise just get rollers and push hard into enemy territory.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I really like throwing sprinklers on top corners of the warehouse crates in port mackerel. Pretty difficult to remove and zones the enemy team out effectively.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

S
Wrapped up single player mode, with all Amiibo content. I hope my other Amiibos start unlocking gear soon.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

It's possible - I don't think it would hurt to at least call and ask if it's not super-close

So look at the parts that open up near your Splat Zone. If the enemy team takes your zone you have ~4 entry ways into that area. The problem is that the center lanes and the ledges on top of them are incredibly easy to hold and you can see them very easily. If you're trying to come from that area you're doing so through a bunch of enemy ink/fire, and if they have a decent guy on a charger you're basically out of luck coming that way. The top to the sides aren't big enough to let you out maneuver enemies spraying ink up at you, so you're constantly forced to back into that little hall way.

The Mall has a similar issue, but since there are 3 different platforms to approach from it's much easier to pick one that works well for your weapon type and clear out the middle. On top of that the easiest area to cover those approaches from is the actual Splat Zone itself, so if/when you do pick a guy off you're doing a lot of work for your team. In Splat Zone the Mall even addresses it's choke point problem with additional grates to walk on. The main approach to that choke is also a pretty sheer cliff, so you can usually maneuver around the side of the players trying to hold it and ambush them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

If you're having ink problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but resist ain't one.

• Locked thread