Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
So glad the nexus 5 can ok google from any location now with M.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Did some of the now on tap features just go live? Just started seeing this when I highlight text: http://imgur.com/a/X1ZwD

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

Did some of the now on tap features just go live? Just started seeing this when I highlight text: http://imgur.com/a/X1ZwD

That's not Now on Tap, Chrome has been doing that for a while now.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Nalesh posted:

Odd, I've even tried changing it to UK english, US english, etc.

It's the only voice command I ever use, though I usually say 'set countdown timer for '

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Kerbtree posted:

So, which Moto G did you come from? How does the camera compare?

16GB 1st Gen. The camera on the 1st gen G is terrible. I probably took less than 30 photos with it in the 18 months it was my main phone. I'd carry around my work phone instead. I know the 2nd Gen was better, but I can't compare unfortunately.

I just took a couple side by side shots and did screen captures of the Moto G (Left) and ZF2 (Right). The difference is pretty obvious.

Outside:

Inside:

I think I said it in my review, but I compared it side-by-side with my work Nokia 920 and it was a little better. According to DXOMark this would put it maybe in the range of an iPhone 4S/5.

edit: HUGE. Click photos to view.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Skeezy posted:

That's not Now on Tap, Chrome has been doing that for a while now.

Well I think it's just super.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

Well I think it's just super.

Oh I agree, it's a neat feature.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
If Chrome's been doing that for a while, why was it only mentioned in the most recent change notes? Unless you're on the beta channel or something.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Don Lapre posted:

So glad the nexus 5 can ok google from any location now with M.

If by location you mean screen, that's something every phone including the Nexus has been able to do for quite a while now.

If you mean something else though, then please elaborate cause new features are always nice.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Desk Lamp posted:

If by location you mean screen, that's something every phone including the Nexus has been able to do for quite a while now.

If you mean something else though, then please elaborate cause new features are always nice.

Ohh I didn't realize you could do this in old versions till I just checked on my nexus 7

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Don Lapre posted:

Ohh I didn't realize you could do this in old versions till I just checked on my nexus 7

You can even do it when the screen is off, pretty handy.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

BeastOfExmoor posted:

16GB 1st Gen. The camera on the 1st gen G is terrible. I probably took less than 30 photos with it in the 18 months it was my main phone. I'd carry around my work phone instead. I know the 2nd Gen was better, but I can't compare unfortunately.

I just took a couple side by side shots and did screen captures of the Moto G (Left) and ZF2 (Right). The difference is pretty obvious.

Outside:

Inside:

I think I said it in my review, but I compared it side-by-side with my work Nokia 920 and it was a little better. According to DXOMark this would put it maybe in the range of an iPhone 4S/5.

edit: HUGE. Click photos to view.

Cheers, dude. That's a hell of a difference!

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
My first-gen G seems sharper than that.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

ugh my Nexus 5 has been doing this thing lately where it drops calls within a few seconds of taking the call. I pick up and after a few seconds the cell signal bars drop to 0. Once I hang up, they come back full and when I make the call again I have like a 50/50 chance of the same behavior repeating. This is also that thing that happens about once in every 4 calls I make.

Is this a sign of radio failure? Something new in the most recent patches?

I've tried turning off data and telling it to prefer 3g (instead of LTE) without any improvement. This morning I tried telling it to prefer 2G rather than 3g or LTE and that seemed promising, but who knows.

Any suggestions or is anyone familiar with this kind thing on Nexus 5s?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Desk Lamp posted:

You can even do it when the screen is off, pretty handy.
Last I heard its screen off only if charging, or anytime screen is on. With appropriate settings selected.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

The Dark One posted:

My first-gen G seems sharper than that.

Is that a full photo or a crop? Mine are crops of larger images, which I probably should've mentioned. That's also pretty ideal light in your image.

Sinjang
May 29, 2013
If anyone was wondering how to change Date Taken for old videos uploaded to Google Photos, so they don't default to Date Uploaded in the timeline, I found that after upload you can change the date at https://plus.google.com/photos/yourphotos and it will also change it in the new Photos. I was going mad trying to work out how to add Date Taken to old video metadata (it's impossible), but this is an easy fix for now.

Also, if you're looking for a tool to batch transfer Date Modified to Date Taken on photos so you can clean up your timeline, Exif Date Changer is pretty nifty.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CHARLES posted:

ugh my Nexus 5 has been doing this thing lately where it drops calls within a few seconds of taking the call. I pick up and after a few seconds the cell signal bars drop to 0. Once I hang up, they come back full and when I make the call again I have like a 50/50 chance of the same behavior repeating. This is also that thing that happens about once in every 4 calls I make.

Is this a sign of radio failure? Something new in the most recent patches?

I've tried turning off data and telling it to prefer 3g (instead of LTE) without any improvement. This morning I tried telling it to prefer 2G rather than 3g or LTE and that seemed promising, but who knows.

Any suggestions or is anyone familiar with this kind thing on Nexus 5s?

I've never heard of this. I would reflash the stock firmware and see if it persists. You could even try an old version just to check.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

ilkhan posted:

Last I heard its screen off only if charging, or anytime screen is on. With appropriate settings selected.

I can tell you it works off the charger with the screen off in at least the Note 3, the 4, and the Droid Maxx. Then again Touchwiz and Moto already had always on voice recognition long before it came to the rest of Android so I just assumed it worked on everything else by now.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Desk Lamp posted:

I can tell you it works off the charger with the screen off in at least the Note 3, the 4, and the Droid Maxx. Then again Touchwiz and Moto already had always on voice recognition long before it came to the rest of Android so I just assumed it worked on everything else by now.

The reason it worked that way for the Moto X was specialized hardware that allowed a microphone to be constantly listening without having to keep the phone awake. It'd utterly slaughter the battery otherwise, which is why they typically only use it while charging. Then again, if there's an option to enable it (because gently caress batteries yo) I guess they could just keep the phone awake at all times. God knows Android has perfected the art of the 100% uptime wakelock.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FAUXTON posted:

The reason it worked that way for the Moto X was specialized hardware that allowed a microphone to be constantly listening without having to keep the phone awake.
Amusingly the chip required to do this exists in the Nexus 5. Google used it as a step counter. Welp.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tunga posted:

Amusingly the chip required to do this exists in the Nexus 5. Google used it as a step counter. Welp.

I can't identify specifically what it is but something about that is just so very very google.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

I can't identify specifically what it is but something about that is just so very very google.

Because they have so much power and squander it?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SwissCM posted:

Because they have so much power and squander it?

No, it's a mechanical thing, I think it's my interpretation of the thought process that goes into "let's take this chip that can run sensors without having to wake the phone and just use it as a pedometer" as a design decision.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Ok. On a Note3 with the newest update, how do I move files to my sd card. Also how do I set everything to download to the sd card(or at least crome)?

Seriously, this is the worst update. I can't even use my phone because of the battery dying and all but one of my chargers don't work with it for some stupid reason.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

RodShaft posted:

Ok. On a Note3 with the newest update, how do I move files to my sd card. Also how do I set everything to download to the sd card(or at least crome)?

Seriously, this is the worst update. I can't even use my phone because of the battery dying and all but one of my chargers don't work with it for some stupid reason.

Did you backup and reset the phone? The reason I ask is because most of the trouble I've read about Lollipop updates on Note 3 are with phones that haven't been reset. I backed mine up before the update and reset mine (and wiped the SD card) right after and the update has been working very well.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
If youre having battery issues with your note 3 on lollipop check your "unified daemon (eur)" situation. Its a common issue

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

CaptainJuan posted:

If youre having battery issues with your note 3 on lollipop check your "unified daemon (eur)" situation. Its a common issue

Yes, I forgot about this. It is a major battery drain culprit.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

CaptainJuan posted:

Yeah I fixed that, I haven't reset because I have a poo poo ton of files on the internal memory and need to move them to the sd card, which none of the file browsers/managers/commanders are capable of.

And after I reset I want to make sure crome downloads files to the sd so I don't have this problem when I want to move on to a phone that I don't want to put through a wall twice a day.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Sinjang posted:

If anyone was wondering how to change Date Taken for old videos uploaded to Google Photos, so they don't default to Date Uploaded in the timeline, I found that after upload you can change the date at https://plus.google.com/photos/yourphotos and it will also change it in the new Photos. I was going mad trying to work out how to add Date Taken to old video metadata (it's impossible), but this is an easy fix for now.

Also, if you're looking for a tool to batch transfer Date Modified to Date Taken on photos so you can clean up your timeline, Exif Date Changer is pretty nifty.

THANK YOU! I had about nine videos that didn't have the proper date and eventually I got frustrated and just threw them onto Youtube instead. Hopefully they'll build this into the Photos site soon.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

RodShaft posted:

Yeah I fixed that, I haven't reset because I have a poo poo ton of files on the internal memory and need to move them to the sd card, which none of the file browsers/managers/commanders are capable of.

And after I reset I want to make sure crome downloads files to the sd so I don't have this problem when I want to move on to a phone that I don't want to put through a wall twice a day.

If at least the stock file manager isn't allowing you to move files to SD, something is borked. Can you back up to a computer? That's what I did since I wanted to wipe the card, too.

The app ES File Explorer can manage your downloads for you if you can't get the default file manager to let you choose the dl location.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Can we turn off the super deep sleep thing in M on a per-app basis? Tasker isn't catching time base triggers, so my lights aren't dimming when they are supposed to.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Sinjang posted:

There's a few by this name, which one do you use?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ilkhan posted:

Can we turn off the super deep sleep thing in M on a per-app basis? Tasker isn't catching time base triggers, so my lights aren't dimming when they are supposed to.
Settings -> Apps -> Tasker -> Battery -> Ignore optimisations

Sinjang
May 29, 2013

Doctor Butts posted:

There's a few by this name, which one do you use?

http://www.relliksoftware.com/exifdatechanger/

Free version has worked fine for me. You can drag multiple photos onto the window to speed up selection.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

What's the closest Android device to an iPhone camera + Nexus device? It looks like nothing quite exists.

I'd like something that I can root, but also have a good camera.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Arriviste posted:

If at least the stock file manager isn't allowing you to move files to SD, something is borked. Can you back up to a computer? That's what I did since I wanted to wipe the card, too.

The app ES File Explorer can manage your downloads for you if you can't get the default file manager to let you choose the dl location.

The Samsung one that gets opened whenever another one is like, "change your settings and it'll with no problem" just let's me look at what type of files exist. No directories or anything. When I plug my phone into my(old as piss) computer, the ram usage spikes and stays pegged not allowing me to move files. I've used it for nothing but burning cds and trying this, for probably a year. Reformatting a computer I don't use(I'd also have to back up files) just to move my internal storage download folder to my sd card download folder is insane. Why is this a thing. I'd think an sd card would be exactly where android would think downloaded files should go. Keep programs on internal and use the sd for files. Am I missing why this is a bad idea?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Vinlaen posted:

What's the closest Android device to an iPhone camera + Nexus device? It looks like nothing quite exists.

doesn't exist

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Vinlaen posted:

The Nexus 6 has one of the top 10 smartphone cameras.
http://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

RodShaft posted:

The Samsung one that gets opened whenever another one is like, "change your settings and it'll with no problem" just let's me look at what type of files exist. No directories or anything. When I plug my phone into my(old as piss) computer, the ram usage spikes and stays pegged not allowing me to move files. I've used it for nothing but burning cds and trying this, for probably a year. Reformatting a computer I don't use(I'd also have to back up files) just to move my internal storage download folder to my sd card download folder is insane. Why is this a thing. I'd think an sd card would be exactly where android would think downloaded files should go. Keep programs on internal and use the sd for files. Am I missing why this is a bad idea?

I googled "chrome android download to sd card" and found:

Open a web page any page will do. Then press the button beside d home key to bring up settings. Select settings which will bring you to privacy and all then below content. Select content and near the end you will see default storage, press it and it will change to sd as your storage.

Does that not work? As for default behavior, you need to tell apps where to store stuff if you don't like the default. There shouldn't be any mystery to it: if you want Chrome to download stuff to your SD card, change that setting!

As for moving files to random locations on an SD card, with Android 5.0 that has been disallowed. Apps can only write to their own specific directory on an SD card, so that you don't get a garbage-filled SD card with random poo poo all over it when you uninstall an app. I don't know how any file explorers handle it because I don't have a phone with an SD card, but any of them should be able to write into a folder on the SD card that is specific to it. So if you use ES File Explorer, find the ES File Explorer folder on your SD card, and throw stuff into a Download subfolder in there. No idea if that works in practice, but that should work in theory.