Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I haven't had a problem with it on Linux for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

devilmouse posted:

What's the current "best" platform for ZFS? It's finally time I upgrade my old x86 Solaris Express install from back in '09 or '10 but I haven't paid much attention to ZFS in the meantime. The only real requirement is that I can run Linux VMs on it.

OpenIndiana? FreeBSD? Is it finally "good enough" on linux?

(My desire to run a full-blown ESXi install is not terribly high because :effort:)
Nowadays it's not really a choice between what's best - afterall, all three use OpenZFS with very few differences (the only major ones I can think of is pool encryption and lz4 on-the-fly compression on FreeBSD which I don't know that the others offer as yet)

I run FreeBSD with ZFS primarily because of jails (+ iocage; essentially a sandbox without overhead for application isolation and security) and bhyve (a bare-metal hypervisor with overhead that can virtualize everything but Windows) and because I like how ports and pkg work - but if you're comfortable with Linux or OpenIndiana, go with whatever floats your boat. If you like a more pre-packaged webui solution, FreeNAS is very good (with the caveat that you can't go directly to another platform because of the way it impliments its zpool, as I understand it).

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
Cool, just wanted to make sure nothing NEW burst on to the scene. I'll probably end up back in the warm embrace of FreeBSD just because that's what I've always been the most comfortable with in terms of *nixes.

Maintaining that Solaris Express install was such a exercise in hilarity whenever I had to apply security updates or whatever. That window when they made the "Community" version and when they stopped supporting it was so brief but I fell into it anyway.

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

Well, I'm loving lost. I can't get my LSI 9811-8i to see my 2tb Hitachi/Toshiba Cinemastar 5K2000s. The LSI is working, it sees a few other random drives I have laying around. All drives are confirmed working in my external enclosure. The 9811 is flashed to the latest IT firmware from LSI. The drives originate from Dish Hopper set top boxes, the guy I got them from said they were a bit strange sometimes, could there be some tomfoolery there?

Here's the setup:
Intel SC5295WS
2x Intel XEON SL8P7
LSI 9811-8i
6x Cinemastar 5K2000
CentOS 7.1.1503

Pastebin of dmesg greped for mpt2sas messages with the 6 drives
Pastebin of hdparm of Cinemastar 5K2000 in external enclosure

Anybody got suggestions?

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Sounds like they have a custom firmware that prevent them from working like standard drives.

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

On closer examination, the guy who I got these drives from is a fucko. They are not all Cinemastar 5k2000s, in fact I only have one of those. It appears I have 7x Toshiba DT01ABA200V, 3x of which are "drive rev ASE AA01 / BC0", with 2013 manufacturing dates, and 4x are "drive rev ASE AA00 /A90" all from June 2012, but on these drives the A90 has been scribbled out with silver sharpie and a sticker attached with F/W AC0, and the Cinemastar 5k2000. I had the three newer toshibas and three of the 2012 drives with changed firmware in the array as of last post.

In other words, drat fine catch mayodreams. Now, on to fixing this poo poo. A preliminary googling shows no firmware available from Toshiba or Hitachi, but I'll keep looking. I don't suppose anybody has an inside line on this? I'm also going to try the Hitachi in the array, will update post with results.

Edit: Same behavior with the Hitachi. Just got this from dmesg on plugging in the drive:

code:
[  422.648402] mpt2sas0: log_info(0x31111000): originator(PL), code(0x11), sub_code(0x1000)
[  423.898396] mpt2sas0: log_info(0x31111000): originator(PL), code(0x11), sub_code(0x1000)
[  425.148528] mpt2sas0: log_info(0x31111000): originator(PL), code(0x11), sub_code(0x1000)
[  426.398377] mpt2sas0: log_info(0x31111000): originator(PL), code(0x11), sub_code(0x1000)

CBJamo fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 6, 2015

XRoja
Jan 8, 2002
Grimey Drawer

Decairn posted:

I messed about with Subsonic in Docker. No help files for setting up Docker, and I didn't find it to be an intuitive UI. Ended up getting some decent help in a Synology forum thread and got it to run, setting variables and paths etc.. Without it I was a bit lost being a complete Docker newbie. The Docker project pages generally assume command line access, and Synology gives you the UI instead but from what I could tell it doesn't constrain you once you understand it.

http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=258&t=100515 2nd page has the screen shots of setting up a container in UI.

Transmission is available as a regular package and is up-to-date on https://synocommunity.com/ if Docker doesn't work for you.

Thank you very much, that's exactly what I needed. I wasn't aware that Syno Community existed and that will be perfect for my needs. I'll try Docker for some other projects.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer
Any experience with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124064 + linux?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey goons I got a copy of Windows server 2012 R2. I'm tempted to build a super duper pooper mega server and stuff many hard drives in it and set up active directory/radius/plex/whatever network service in my home.

Am I better off buying a cheaper intel NUC to do all the computing and then setting up another whitebox NAS? Or should I go crazy and setup iSCSI ? Budget wise I guess I'm willing to spend $1000 not including drives.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

caberham posted:

Hey goons I got a copy of Windows server 2012 R2. I'm tempted to build a super duper pooper mega server and stuff many hard drives in it and set up active directory/radius/plex/whatever network service in my home.

Am I better off buying a cheaper intel NUC to do all the computing and then setting up another whitebox NAS? Or should I go crazy and setup iSCSI ? Budget wise I guess I'm willing to spend $1000 not including drives.

I have recently done this, and am rather happy with the results. It's a 2012 R2 server, with 16gb of RAM and a 6 core AMD. I have 13 drives in it, 1 SSD boot dirve, 7x4tb, 5x3tb. I'm using SnapRAID for 2 drive redundancy, and Liquesce for pooling of drive shares. I've also got HyperV running with a few VMs (torrenting, OpenVPN, etc).

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012
This will sound like a stupid question...

Where do the third and fourth drive go in the TS140? There are two obvious plastic drive mounts for 1 and 2, but there apparently isn't anything for the third. I have heard that it also can support a fourth. What do I need to buy to mount my new drive (if anything) and where do they go? I could sacrifice the optical drive, but it doesn't sound like I need to.

I cannot for the life of me find it documented anywhere.

Tiger.Bomb fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 13, 2015

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
You put them in the 5 1/4" bays.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Yeah, if your TS140 didn't come with them, you can get 5.25">3.5" drive adapters.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX5092

The TS140 only has mounting holes on one side, so I got a set of those and just used one for each drive. The other side is hanging free, but you can stuff some styrofoam or something in there as a shim. The official drive adapters have fans, but are like $50 each, so I can live with it being a bit messy on the inside for now. I haven't had any temperature issues so far.

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012
What a pain in the rear end...

Three more questions.

1. What is this? It looks like it SHOULD be a mounting bracket adapter. Maybe it's 3.5 to 2.5 instead? I found it in my computer junk box so it probably came with an old case.

2. What about the retainer that allows the bracket to slide in and out? (See here)

3. I have an external enclosure that has eSATA. Any reason I shouldn't just pop my new drive in there?

I have the retained, but it doesn't look like it would work with the linked bracket.

Thanks!

Tiger.Bomb fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 13, 2015

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

that looks more like a 3.5 to 5.25 adapter.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
The third drive in the TS140 doesn't need an adapter. My third WD Red fits in the 3.5 inch floppy drive bay and is secured with a screw through one of the holes in the chassis framework.

A fourth drive will need an adapter.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
http://amzn.com/B0035LXTYU
Best 2.5" drive adapter on the market!

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012

phosdex posted:

that looks more like a 3.5 to 5.25 adapter.

which is what I need, but none of the holes line up!

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

The third drive in the TS140 doesn't need an adapter. My third WD Red fits in the 3.5 inch floppy drive bay and is secured with a screw through one of the holes in the chassis framework.

A fourth drive will need an adapter.

So it does... Thanks!

I really wish the manual was better, but I guess this is what we get then we get to server tier.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Tiger.Bomb posted:

So it does... Thanks!

I really wish the manual was better, but I guess this is what we get then we get to server tier.

Technically it is server tier. Lenovo was willing to send someone to my place for free about something simple that I called in about (how to install the drives or something) as part of some one year service contract that came with the thing.

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

Technically it is server tier. Lenovo was willing to send someone to my place for free about something simple that I called in about (how to install the drives or something) as part of some one year service contract that came with the thing.

Yeah I meant that server tier might mean more sparse documentation. I did see something about free local tech support, but that required registration and I didn't feel this was worse it.

I have it installed and I am rebuilding my LVM mirror as I type this. Thanks everyone for the help.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Sorry if this is more of a PC part picking question:

Is there a big performance between a quad core atom 2550 and a quad core 2750 for FreeNas?

I like the idea of passive cooled CPU and a huge number of SATA ports

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

caberham posted:

Sorry if this is more of a PC part picking question:

Is there a big performance between a quad core atom 2550 and a quad core 2750 for FreeNas?

I like the idea of passive cooled CPU and a huge number of SATA ports

Yes, there is a huge difference; one of those quad cores has eight cores.

If you're just running it as a NAS and not doing any heavy lifting the quad core will be fine. Even if you're not you'd have to be doing a lot of work at the same time without being able to tolerate latency to make the octo core worth it.

I went with the octo core, no loving idea why.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

I want to build a freenas box for a home lab. It needs to have a moderate amount of space, and I prefer performance over total space. I have about $1000 to spend. What should I buy?

Also, I've been considering going with all SSD and doing RAID-0 to get the max storage available. Again, this is strictly a testing environment so I'm ok with data loss if the RAID dies one day.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

True/False: Windows Storage Spaces would allow me to create a volume with an assigned drive letter consisting of a mirror of two physical disks in Windows 8/8.1?

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

DNova posted:

True/False: Windows Storage Spaces would allow me to create a volume with an assigned drive letter consisting of a mirror of two physical disks in Windows 8/8.1?

True

Edit:

Well, technically I think Storage Spaces creates the volume and then you use Disk Manager to format it and assign a drive letter just like any other disk.

Krailor fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 15, 2015

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Krailor posted:

True

Edit:

Well, technically I think Storage Spaces creates the volume and then you use Disk Manager to format it and assign a drive letter just like any other disk.

That will work. Thanks.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

kiwid posted:

I want to build a freenas box for a home lab. It needs to have a moderate amount of space, and I prefer performance over total space. I have about $1000 to spend. What should I buy?

Also, I've been considering going with all SSD and doing RAID-0 to get the max storage available. Again, this is strictly a testing environment so I'm ok with data loss if the RAID dies one day.

Define "moderate amount of space" and what you mean by "performance." With $1000 you can easily buy an older SuperMicro + Xeon + 16GB RAM for well under $300 (like this), buy a case + PSU for like $100, and have $600+ to spend on HDDs. You can buy a pair of mediocre 240GB SSD's for $200ish, and then a few TB of WD Reds or whatever to round it out.

Of course that's kinda pointless if you're doing anything actually over the network unless you bother to upgrade well past a GigE connection, since even a pair of WD Reds on their own will happily saturate GigE in straight throughput.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

DrDork posted:

Define "moderate amount of space" and what you mean by "performance." With $1000 you can easily buy an older SuperMicro + Xeon + 16GB RAM for well under $300 (like this), buy a case + PSU for like $100, and have $600+ to spend on HDDs. You can buy a pair of mediocre 240GB SSD's for $200ish, and then a few TB of WD Reds or whatever to round it out.

Of course that's kinda pointless if you're doing anything actually over the network unless you bother to upgrade well past a GigE connection, since even a pair of WD Reds on their own will happily saturate GigE in straight throughput.

Add 50 to a 100 bucks and also get two Infiniband cards would solve this.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
I have four used WD Green 1TB drives, and I'd like to pop them into a 4-bay NAS of some sort. What is the drawback to using Green drives as opposed to Reds?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

n0n0 posted:

I have four used WD Green 1TB drives, and I'd like to pop them into a 4-bay NAS of some sort. What is the drawback to using Green drives as opposed to Reds?

They'll be dead in a month.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

Gwaihir posted:

They'll be dead in a month.
This might be a simple question, but why?

Edit: My understanding is just that the Green drives have power-saving in mind, so they spin down more frequently, which would affect the responsiveness of the NAS. To me, this is not really a concern. But if they're going to die...

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

n0n0 posted:

Edit: My understanding is just that the Green drives have power-saving in mind, so they spin down more frequently, which would affect the responsiveness of the NAS. To me, this is not really a concern. But if they're going to die...

Spinning up and down frequently is bad.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

n0n0 posted:

Aside from the power saving features (Which can be disabled), it's more an issue of vibration and whether the drives are built to deal with it. It's not something that seems like it would be an issue, but hard drives are really sensitive to vibrations (and shocks!).
I was an idiot and bought 5 2tb green drives back in 2010 to use for video storage and within 2 years I'd RMAd every single one of them.

(Of course my followup choice was even worse, I'm stuck with 8 seagate ST3000DM1s now :suicide:)

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I would expect it to depend on how often they get accessed. I had a 3TB Green in my primary machine for three years without a hiccup or hint of difficulty, because it got woken up once per day for a scheduled backup from my data drive. It got spun up, accessed non-stop for 20-60 minutes, and spun down again. If your NAS is for occasional use, you might be just as happy. If not, I yield to the wisdom of the thread and a host of 1-star reviews that all say they're no good for NAS.

yomisei
Mar 18, 2011
WD Greens' firmware can be altered via wdidle3 to disable head parking to make them behave more like WD Reds. People who didn't use this had drives with several 100k head parks and usually way above the something-500k rated limit, resulting in a lot of dead drives.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

yomisei posted:

WD Greens' firmware can be altered via wdidle3 to disable head parking to make them behave more like WD Reds. People who didn't use this had drives with several 100k head parks and usually way above the something-500k rated limit, resulting in a lot of dead drives.

I thought wdidle3 did not work on newer Greens?

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

Thermopyle posted:

I thought wdidle3 did not work on newer Greens?
I'm seeing scattered reports on the internet indicating that certain SATA 3.0 drives don't like wdidle3, but they're scattered and inconsistent. Regardless, the drives I want to do this with are a couple of years old.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
Does FreeNAS really do some weird ZFS voodoo that prevents pools from being recognized on other platforms? That's disappointing.

I just started dipping my toe into the ZFS pool (that was truly an unintentional pun, but I'm proud of it). I started with Nexenta which was terrible in both performance and management. I just swapped over to the latest FreeNAS build and while management has improved performance is still not where I'd hoped to see it. I'm currently setup with two mirrored vdevs of 2x2TB 7200rpm HGST SATA disks in one pool and my write rate seems to "breathe" between 60-40MBps when copying over network, but a single drive should be capable of nearly double that. It's running on a box with an i7-870 with 16G of memory so it shouldn't really be starved for resources. An iostat seems to suggest that it is disk activity that's holding things up and I'd just like to get a gut check on what I'm seeing. Compression is enabled, and I've tried with and without dedupe without much difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
Sounds like your network card could be the bottleneck. Is it a marvel controller?