Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/ASUS-Zenbook-UX305FA-USM1-Signature-Edition-Laptop/productID.313303100

This seems like a good price for a Broadwell-based Zenbook at $599

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Can that Zenbook handle really large spreadsheets in Excel? I have had Apple products for the last decade but now I use it for business also and Excel is atrocious in OS X. The new beta is bad too.

If that Zenbook can handle huge spreadsheets I am going to buy it. It is exactly what I want otherwise (small, decent battery, light).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TenaciousTomato posted:

Really, you narrowed it down to their pros and cons. Thinkpad keyboard is great, trackpad not so much. Trackpoint is ok, scrolling on it is p awful for now, though. Thinkpad has a slightly larger screen but the XPS is sexier.. Overall I like my T450s but I wouldn't mind trying out the XPS 13. MBPs are always a good choice if you don't need Windows all the time.

The XPS is definitely sexier, but I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the ThinkPad. I want that keyboard something fierce, and the ability to actually open the thing and upgrade a few parts at some point is a big plus.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Ribsauce posted:

Can that Zenbook handle really large spreadsheets in Excel? I have had Apple products for the last decade but now I use it for business also and Excel is atrocious in OS X. The new beta is bad too.

If that Zenbook can handle huge spreadsheets I am going to buy it. It is exactly what I want otherwise (small, decent battery, light).

No idea on that particular one, but I've been putting a Sandy Bridge based Win 7 laptop (with 4gb of RAM :( ) through the paces on spreadsheets for the last 3 years and it's been doing fine. The only place it really chugs if if I have a lot of aftermarket add-ins active (like an interface into SAP or something) or a really poorly designed spreadsheet with a bunch of SUMIFS functions

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I think that specific zenbook has one of those broadwell core m processors which are pretty slow.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

canyoneer posted:

No idea on that particular one, but I've been putting a Sandy Bridge based Win 7 laptop (with 4gb of RAM :( ) through the paces on spreadsheets for the last 3 years and it's been doing fine. The only place it really chugs if if I have a lot of aftermarket add-ins active (like an interface into SAP or something) or a really poorly designed spreadsheet with a bunch of SUMIFS functions

I don't really notice much of a different between my first gen i5 laptop and my desktop with an i7 3770s as far as Excel goes - if a spreadsheet is going to be slow, it's going to be slow no matter the hardware.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've got an ASUS n56v that acted up a few times in the few years I've had it, same problems that just vanish with no reason I can see. It would say there wasn't a wireless adapter until I restarted and videos would freeze and get choppy and the audio would do the same. With windows 10 coming out and a free upgrade though i was thinking about installing a second harddrive and using an SSD for it and sticking windows 10 on that. Having a look it seems I need a hard drive dock and will have to remove the blu-ray player that I never use anyway. Is this hard or is the problem with the laptop more fundamental and I should keep using it until its time to just buy a whole new laptop?

I've had to replace the battery with a cheap one off ebay already and don't mind having to do that again anyway.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Oh cool, Dell's turning the XPS 15 into a larger broadwell XPS 13 just with Skylake, USB C 3.1, and a 4K touchscreen.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-refreshes-XPS-15-with-ultrathin-bezel.144226.0.html

Wonder how much this thing will cost.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Just hoping the smaller footprint doesn't impact the battery capacity. Although I guess where we're going with Skylake we won't need 90+ wHr batteries to get 8+ hours anymore but more is better of course. My XPS 15 kicks rear end because its 1.5 years old but still gets 7-7.5 hours of life on a charge.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

havenwaters posted:

Oh cool, Dell's turning the XPS 15 into a larger broadwell XPS 13 just with Skylake, USB C 3.1, and a 4K touchscreen.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-refreshes-XPS-15-with-ultrathin-bezel.144226.0.html

Wonder how much this thing will cost.

I'm torn between really wanting this and really wanting the hypothetical next Surface Pro that has yet to be announced.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Seamonster posted:

Just hoping the smaller footprint doesn't impact the battery capacity. Although I guess where we're going with Skylake we won't need 90+ wHr batteries to get 8+ hours anymore but more is better of course. My XPS 15 kicks rear end because its 1.5 years old but still gets 7-7.5 hours of life on a charge.

I've never known the joy of 3+ hours of battery life much less 8. Though that's in part because my newest laptop is still using arrendale (i5-520m) and AMD's weird implementation of manual switchable graphics that may not even turn the gpu off.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

havenwaters posted:

I've never known the joy of 3+ hours of battery life much less 8. Though that's in part because my newest laptop is still using arrendale (i5-520m) and AMD's weird implementation of manual switchable graphics that may not even turn the gpu off.

You're in for a nice quality of life improvement. My $180 Chromebook gets 10 hours battery life, and has a Haswell in it. Less than 8 hours on a modern laptop means something has gone wrong.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Ultrabooks!

Lenovo X1 Carbon 3rd Gen vs Dell XPS 13!

Which one sounds better as a good general purpose ultrabook? Or a third option?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

T550 ordered :toot:

Hopefully it should arrive end of next week.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Revitalized posted:

Ultrabooks!

Lenovo X1 Carbon 3rd Gen vs Dell XPS 13!

Which one sounds better as a good general purpose ultrabook? Or a third option?

The XPS13 is priced way better and the Carbon has crappy battery life.

They even got rid of that cool little adaptive function key row.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
I'd like to buy a laptop for the purposes of coding, and other basic media use. (Have a desktop that can handle more intensive stuff.)

I'm from the UK, and the prices on a lot of the suggested models in the OP seem to be pretty sucky when you take into account conversion rate.

Also, when it comes to the windows iteration installed on the device, I seem to have a prejudice against anything other than 7.

Basically, what should I be looking to buy, with my needs being as they are?

Would a Thinkpad X220 be sufficient?

Rookoo fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 4, 2015

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I see on Newegg that MSI released a whole mess of gaming laptops with 5th gen Intel processors, but no other manufacturers have. Is this something that should be happening soon? If so, any chance of deals on the 4th generation ones?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Rookoo posted:

Also, when it comes to the windows iteration installed on the device, I seem to have a prejudice against anything other than 7.

Windows 10 comes out in less than 2 months and there's no reasons to still be on Windows 7 unless you have some legacy hardware or software that both needs to run native and doesn't have drivers for anything newer than 7. You should be thinking about moving to Windows 10 within a few months of its release.

Thinkpad pricing seems terrible over there, are you able to get the Dell XPS 13?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Azathoth posted:

I see on Newegg that MSI released a whole mess of gaming laptops with 5th gen Intel processors, but no other manufacturers have. Is this something that should be happening soon? If so, any chance of deals on the 4th generation ones?

Intel just released the 4 core Broadwell chips this week or something, so yeah others should be catching up soon.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

Windows 10 comes out in less than 2 months and there's no reasons to still be on Windows 7 unless you have some legacy hardware or software that both needs to run native and doesn't have drivers for anything newer than 7. You should be thinking about moving to Windows 10 within a few months of its release.

Thinkpad pricing seems terrible over there, are you able to get the Dell XPS 13?

A preliminary search seems to indicate the xps is £824.50.

I'm looking at the thinkpads at the moment, and a Lenovo Thinkpad T430 is just under £250 (Refurbished), which is what I'm considering now. Pricing in the UK is often misaligned when in comparison with the US I think.

I hope the thinkpad I mentioned has no glaring flaws for my purposes (Apart from apparently it not looking sleek, which I don't care about) .

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Rookoo posted:

A preliminary search seems to indicate the xps is £824.50.

I'm looking at the thinkpads at the moment, and a Lenovo Thinkpad T430 is just under £250 (Refurbished), which is what I'm considering now. Pricing in the UK is often misaligned when in comparison with the US I think.

I hope the thinkpad I mentioned has no glaring flaws for my purposes (Apart from apparently it not looking sleek, which I don't care about) .

Yeah, a Thinkpad T420 or newer or X220 or newer is a great option. I can't believe how shafted you guys get on pricing.

Is it the same for Apple stuff? My wife's 13" Macbook Air cost her $750 about a year ago.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

Yeah, a Thinkpad T420 or newer or X220 or newer is a great option. I can't believe how shafted you guys get on pricing.

Is it the same for Apple stuff? My wife's 13" Macbook Air cost her $750 about a year ago.

Oh anything that has an Apple on it seems to command a hefty pricetag regardless of where you live I think, thanks for the advice though, I'll keep those models in mind.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Rookoo posted:

I'd like to buy a laptop for the purposes of coding, and other basic media use. (Have a desktop that can handle more intensive stuff.)

I'm from the UK, and the prices on a lot of the suggested models in the OP seem to be pretty sucky when you take into account conversion rate.

Would a Thinkpad X220 be sufficient?

I liked my X220 for those purposes, though the screen is sub par. That's the only thing I'd really complain about.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I posted awhile ago about buying a laptop for work travel. I just received a new laptop from work and want to use it as a personal device as well while on the road. What have folks done to separate your work experience from your personal experience? I am looking at potentially getting an external hard drive to boot from when I want to go into personal mode. Has anyone done this?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

merk posted:

I posted awhile ago about buying a laptop for work travel. I just received a new laptop from work and want to use it as a personal device as well while on the road. What have folks done to separate your work experience from your personal experience? I am looking at potentially getting an external hard drive to boot from when I want to go into personal mode. Has anyone done this?

Talk with your IT staff, it is pretty standard security to limit boot devices on company machines. Your laptop might have a unused msata slot which you could boot from. $80 gets you a 128gb msata evo. Booting off of a USB 3 drive works fine for most general used stuff.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Azathoth posted:

New Gigabyte 15.6 Broadwell/970m just got listed on XoticPC.

Specs look nice, might be one to keep an eye on if you're looking for a 15incher.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
Just got my X250 in the mail to replace my x120e. I love the screen already. I didn't mind the screen on the x120e too much but the x250's screen (1920/non-touch) is so nice. I normally don't care about aesthetics, but I really like the texture on the x250. The x120e was just smooth shiny plastic.

The trackpoint feels a little more recessed than on the x120e. Its buttons are also more low profile on the x250. The trackpad is bigger, and normally I don't like when it doesn't have separate buttons but it's fine.

I was really surprised to see that the keyboards are exactly the same size. In fact, the bottom row of the x250 keyboard (Fn, Ctrl, windows, Alt, space, etc.), is actually smaller than on the x120e. Can't say I'm not disappointed about the keyboard. I was expecting to have a little more room to type. There's a lot of space around the keyboard on the x250 that's not on the x120e and it doesn't really make sense. I would've given up trackpad size for a bigger keyboard. It just seems like it wasn't laid out super efficiently. It's not a dealbreaker or anything, just a rather disappointing surprise.

Also the power cord plug is on the side instead of the back. Doesn't seem like the best idea but it doesn't matter that much.

Overall though, I'm pretty happy about it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

merk posted:

Mine has an SD card port that I stuck a bootable linux install into. On a 16GB SD card that's enough space for some games.

Booting from USB would probably work just as well (if your workplace lets you do that), but with the SD card there's nothing sticking out of the laptop to get caught on things.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

SouthLAnd posted:

New Gigabyte 15.6 Broadwell/970m just got listed on XoticPC.

Specs look nice, might be one to keep an eye on if you're looking for a 15incher.
I've pretty much settled on 17" screen, but it is good to see more of these processors in the wild.

I'm not in a rush to make a purchase, so I've decided to wait until at least Lenovo, Asus, and Acer release their updated models since those were my top choices before Broadwell processors were available.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

What do we think of the lenovo Y50 series?

EDIT: Wait, what is with laptops with no optical drive? When did that become a thing? Woah.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 5, 2015

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I'm looking for a laptop for college. The Lenovo ThinkPad T450s seems good for what I need: good keyboard long battery life and stays cool. Is it good?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Ogmius815 posted:

EDIT: Wait, what is with laptops with no optical drive? When did that become a thing? Woah.

A lot of people don't use them anymore. Which is understandable, I've watched maybe 6 DVD's on my laptop in the last 4 years.

But! Check out the MSI GE62, Asus GL551/GL552, or Gigabyte P55W (which was just announced and has not really been reviewed or judged by any owner). They have optical drives and can be optioned with blu-ray drives through the boutique stores.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Metapod posted:

I'm looking for a laptop for college. The Lenovo ThinkPad T450s seems good for what I need: good keyboard long battery life and stays cool. Is it good?

Yes, very good. Throw an SSD in and you are golden. +8 gb of RAM (self installed) for ~60 bucks as well.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I need something like a chromebook that's only purpose will essentially be to be a vaguely movable internet machine that sits at my desk to visit sites that we can't have accessible on company networks (webmail, etc). Will the cheapest chromebook I can find do, or are there ones that actually suck at even that most basic of tasks?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Ogmius815 posted:

Optical drives take up a lot of space that we could be using for batteries or just slimmer packaging. I actually haven't even had an optical drive in my desktop for about 4 years now, and haven't missed it once.

You can install Windows from a USB flash drive with no issues and all of the software I buy is distributed digitally anyway. Even the driver CDs that ship with hardware is usually out of date by the time it makes it to you.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Ogmius815 posted:

It comes with an external CD drive I believe. If it doesn't they're like $20.

Besides that it's a very good, very budget gaming laptop.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

They started phasing out optical drives about 7 years ago. The time span between when they phased out floppies and when they began phasing out optical was only 5 years.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

My brother's dog just knocked a drink onto my laptop.

I need something that will run a few virtual machines and that has a very good trackpad. Am I stuck with a macbook?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I need something that will run a few virtual machines and that has a very good trackpad. Am I stuck with a macbook?

How good do you want your touchpad? If you want the best you only have that one choice of fruit. If you can stand slightly not so good there are other fruits than apples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I think Macbooks are pretty bad to run VMs on, for some reason the VM software isn't as good, to the point where some keyboard combinations inexplicably don't work. I'd rather run VMs from Windows (and do so).

There are Windows devices with trackpads equal to or better than Macbook trackpads, and others with "very good" trackpads, so I don't think you're stuck at all.