Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Hey so quick question: When walking does your accuracy reset faster after stopping than when running, or is it just that you have less momentum and come to a full stop faster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Nam Taf posted:

Finished a mission, got a FN A1 Icarus Fell.

I can accept this.
drat you, I really want an Icarus. It's the only A1 so far that I'd give up my Master Piece for. :argh:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Bohemian Nights posted:

Hey so quick question: When walking does your accuracy reset faster after stopping than when running, or is it just that you have less momentum and come to a full stop faster

The latter I guess, but you should learn how to stutterstep so you stop on a dime when running

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it so much to ask to give us official unranked 5v5 servers. And to make me never play deathmatch.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

Bohemian Nights posted:

Well, you can counter-step a walk faster because of the latter, but i imagine it's only a little faster, and also you have some degree of accuracy while walking that you don't while running (ie rifles can hit things nearby) so if you gently caress up your stutter step your first bullet still has a chance to be useful

e: I just did the sickest fadeaway nade, right mouse + left mouse, walking backwards, so it popped head level right around a corner, blinded the poo poo out of some nerd CT by T spawn on cache (doing a rotate or something)

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Larry Parrish posted:

And to make me never play deathmatch.

I stopped playing valve DM (outside of these missions) entirely once I discovered the community variety and I haven't looked back since. Instant reloads after kills, no spawn protection, 128 ticks and especially headshot only just makes it so much more enjoyable.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

Bohemian Nights posted:

I stopped playing valve DM (outside of these missions) entirely once I discovered the community variety and I haven't looked back since. Instant reloads after kills, no spawn protection, 128 ticks and especially headshot only just makes it so much more enjoyable.

I'd like to see a version of DM that segments the map into a bunch of pieces like someone hit it with a hammer, and then spawns people facing eachother, so theres less getting shot in the back

The 1v1 mode on community servers is close but not quite good enough because it's only 1v1 fights and you have to wait between rounds (Unless there's only two people playing)

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Carol Pizzamom posted:

I'd like to see a version of DM that segments the map into a bunch of pieces like someone hit it with a hammer, and then spawns people facing eachother, so theres less getting shot in the back

The 1v1 mode on community servers is close but not quite good enough because it's only 1v1 fights and you have to wait between rounds (Unless there's only two people playing)

So what would happen after you killed the guy who spawned next to you?

Edit: I like pubbing. It's so easy I don't see how it couldn't be fun.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

How do weapon drops work? Even when I rank up and it says I'll get a drop...I don't. They're not attached to missions anymore either so are they just a lot rarer than they were for Vanguard?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Carol Pizzamom posted:

e: I just did the sickest fadeaway nade, right mouse + left mouse,

Uh, what?

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

Elman posted:

Uh, what?

you can combine lmb and rmb to do a different nade than lmb or rmb

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

So what would happen after you killed the guy who spawned next to you?

Edit: I like pubbing. It's so easy I don't see how it couldn't be fun.

it'd put 3 people on a team facing 3 people, or 2v2, or 1v1, on a team in say, upper tunnels, and they'd shoot eachother real quick, then you'd instantly spawn in another 'setpiece' as soon as 2-6 people die

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Elman posted:

Uh, what?

There are three grenade firing modes. Left click, right click and both.

Carol Pizzamom posted:

That'd be interesting, if made to work. It's obviously not quite the same and has waiting, but some 1v1 arena servers have maps based off of real map segments, like catwalk dd2, banana or mid inferno, etc, so you at least get real map setpieces instead of arena battles in lego land.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

They should make grenades more variable like jumping.

Like if you left strafe and then right strafe while walking and then crouch and then let go of left click it throws a curveball.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

Bohemian Nights posted:

That'd be interesting, if made to work. It's obviously not quite the same and has waiting, but some 1v1 arena servers have maps based off of real map segments, like catwalk dd2, banana or mid inferno, etc, so you at least get real map setpieces instead of arena battles in lego land.

If you could make a large enough map with 30ish players, the wait times would be like literally 0.5 seconds, with what i describe. It'd only put you in a 2v2 or 3v3 if enough people died. Also, the setpieces would be realistic to competitive: 3 cts holding A long against 3 Ts, but the map would be walled off in such a way that there's only one corner, for fast-paced aim practice (the purpose of DM)

the only potential problem is someone camping, but with one angle it'd be easy to peek them. If you play DM you should be working on your movement and aim and not care about someone whos purely holding or your score anyway.. You could also, if you wanted, slay T's that don't push after 4 seconds or something.

e: for clarification, once you're dead it'd put you in another arena as soon as enough people are dead to fill it, theres no reason for it to wait until the arena you are in is finished

e2: how hard is it to make this stuff? If it's not hard it might be cool to try it

Carol Pizzamom fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 5, 2015

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

I like that idea. I think it would probably would work better with a 10 or 15 second timer and when times up you respawn.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Bohemian Nights posted:

lol how did I not know this

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Bohemian Nights posted:

I've been playing CS for a decade, and I didn't know this. My mind is blown right now.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Jeza posted:

lol how did I not know this

They introduced it a while back, though I don't think there was a lot of fuss about it.
Left Click: Normal throw
Left Click + Right Click: Lighter throw
Right Click: Underhand toss

Right clicking usually ends with people hilarious suiciding with HE grenades.

illezt
Mar 1, 2005

d3rt posted:

I've been playing CS for a decade, and I didn't know this. My mind is blown right now.

It was added like half a year ago in one of the patches, so it's not like it's been around since 1.3 or something and you just didn't know.

P.S. please bring back 1.3 bunnyhops Valve tia

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Matrim posted:

I got lumped into a stack of people that were 5-8 ranks higher than me in competitive and found the only way I could contribute was with bizon/p90 rushes. Will this stop working eventually?

You might be surprised how scary the P90 is with a player who can juke rifle fire well at higher ranks

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

IronDoge posted:

They introduced it a while back, though I don't think there was a lot of fuss about it.
Left Click: Normal throw
Left Click + Right Click: Lighter throw
Right Click: Underhand toss

Right clicking usually ends with people hilarious suiciding with HE grenades.

I learned about right click, but I seemed to have missed the memo on clicking both.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I've used middle strength nade throws for smokes on mirage before, particularly window from underpass.

Bohemian Nights posted:

Movement inaccuracy (as opposed to recoil inaccuracy) is based off velocity, straight up. How fast you can be moving before you are accurate is up to the weapon's stats, but it's linear based off movement speed.

That being said, if you want to reset accuracy super fast, just crouch and take your fingers off the movement keys while sprinting, it will reset almost instantaneously.

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why

ArfJason posted:

ive been thinking about this recently and thinking what if you could come up with faster triggered smokes
like say you want to smoke stairs in mirage from t. Could there be an alterate throw where it falls with less vertical velocity? would the time saving even matter?

if they don't bounce they will bloom instantly. you can do the middle throw (right and left click together) pointed slightly downwards with zero momentum to get the fastest bloom as far as i can tell. right click will bounce, left click you need to have the angle perfect

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

d3rt posted:

For anyone who's going to be trying this out tonight: It can't be overstated how big a difference right click is from the other two throws. You literally just drop the grenade at your feet. DO NOT RIGHT CLICK WITH FRAG GRENADES

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Necc0 posted:

For anyone who's going to be trying this out tonight: It can't be overstated how big a difference right click is from the other two throws. You literally just drop the grenade at your feet. DO NOT RIGHT CLICK WITH FRAG GRENADES

I actually right click with nades (frags included) more than anything else. You just need to get a hang of the momentum and suddenly you're throwing nades you have 100% easy control of that other people have no idea are coming!

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Necc0 posted:

Dust2 doors. Anyone cornersquatting simply cannot avoid them in time

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Nam Taf posted:

Finished a mission, got a FN A1 Icarus Fell.

I can accept this.

Me and my battle-scarred sunset storm 壱 are jealous.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Is it recommended to bind a jump-throw command? I've never had an issue with just jumping and throwing, but I had no idea that people actually bind it to one button.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
I have one that only gets used for set smoke throws, the consistancy in timing opens up a lot of grenade throws, though there is a difference between 64 and 128 tick.

Geschwafel
May 10, 2006

Frank sent me.
Games > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive - I'm getting worse but my rank keeps going up

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Bohemian Nights posted:

This sergei mission is incredibly stupid. The only thing stupider is me actually playing in casual mode to complete it.

Haha, I felt bad because I joined a server and on the first round I raced up the front of the building and the guy who was Sergei for that round was right in front of me, duck-walking in the other direction. I just executed him and jumped away and some dude on CT instantly goes "This feels like such a waste of time when Sergei dies..."

Sorry, random casual dude, I had to do it. :cheers:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
SMG/Shotgun rushes are hilarious because everyone in pubs talks poo poo about it like it's bad despite it being super effective, especially when people aren't expecting it.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I genuinely use all the grenade throw forces almost equally since i first heard about them because holy poo poo some of the nading in 1.6 was infuriating.

also today i right click popflashed long a on overpass from bathrooms and owned the enemy awper

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
also i finally deranked

----------------

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Sitting Bull posted:

if they don't bounce they will bloom instantly. you can do the middle throw (right and left click together) pointed slightly downwards with zero momentum to get the fastest bloom as far as i can tell. right click will bounce, left click you need to have the angle perfect

ya i know, but im talking about stuff like site take nades you do from outside the site itself usually over map geometry

thats precisely why i was talking about having them fall with a less vertical angle and speed

----------------

J
Jun 10, 2001

Macnult posted:

Is it recommended to bind a jump-throw command? I've never had an issue with just jumping and throwing, but I had no idea that people actually bind it to one button.

I have jump throw bound solely to smoke window from T spawn on mirage. It's a super useful, easy to throw smoke that I use frequently, and that's the only time I ever use the bind since it makes the throw extremely consistent. I'm sure there are other good jump smoke options out there that I'm not aware of, but the window smoke owns.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Macnult posted:

100% yes. Jumpthrowing isn't really hard, but it's super dumb the times when you still mistime what needs to be a pixel perfect throw and waste your smoke- getting a bind stops that from ever happening.

Xenaero posted:

I've used middle strength nade throws for smokes on mirage before, particularly window from underpass.

I right-click throw a lot for easy popflashes or times when I need to drop a flash to cover me when pulling back, it's also handy for dropping smoke at your feet without worrying about crazy bounce

I see quite a bit of right click use, but as the previous posts show, mid-throwing grenades seems to not be common knowledge at all-- I mean, loading screen tips obv needs to be quotes from winston churchill or trivia about the FBI-- and it's a shame because that means no-one ever talks about and if you wanna discover any good uses you're basically entirely on your own.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS
lol binding a key to jumpthrow how bad are you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

down with slavery posted:

lol binding a key to jumpthrow how bad are you

The point of a jumpthrow bind is not that it is hard to jump and throw, but rather than it is pretty much impossible to 100% replicate the same perfect jump throw over and over. A bind will get you the absolute maximum distance throw, every time, whereas doing it without it will mean you are going to miss that exact apex pretty often.

• Locked thread