Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Waco Panty Raid posted:

Brandishing/"flashing" is almost certainly still illegal and needs to ve investigated with caution by the police. I'm unfamiliar with the specific law for Utah but I don't think there is a requirement for concealed carry holders to announce themselves as armed at the beginning of interactions with police (some states do, which I think is a good idea). I doubt even the most outspoken open carry nuts (who are literally looking to provoke police) would act like Taylor did, though.

But they do not know it is these gentlemen that they were looking for? And it wouldn't be open carry it would be concealed carry and, if you have music on, how difficult would it be to know what the hell is happening when you are told something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waco Panty Raid
Mar 30, 2002

I don't mind being a little pedantic.

Josef bugman posted:

But they do not know it is these gentlemen that they were looking for? And it wouldn't be open carry it would be concealed carry and, if you have music on, how difficult would it be to know what the hell is happening when you are told something.
Not very in Taylor's case since he clearly heard the police as evidenced when he responded to them. How much do you really need to understand to know not to make extremely suspicious movements like that? I'm pretty confident even a person deaf from birth could figure it out.

I only mentiomed open carry to reference people that are looking to provoke police wouldn't have acted in such an irresponsible manner, obviously the cop suspected Taylor had a concealed weapon.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Do people think cops are actively deciding in the moment "I can kill this person and get away with it?"

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Waco Panty Raid posted:

Not very in Taylor's case since he clearly heard the police as evidenced when he responded to them. How much do you really need to understand to know not to make extremely suspicious movements like that? I'm pretty confident even a person deaf from birth could figure it out.

Taylor's judgment may have been impaired by his BAC of 0.18 at the time of the incident.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

ActusRhesus posted:

When faced with law enforcement the prudent course of action for a firearms permit holder is to comply with law enforcement, place your hands where they tell you to, and calmly state "I have a concealed carry permit. There is a handgun located [wherever] how would you like me to proceed?" Not reach for your gun.

Apparently he didn't have a gun but he did exactly as you said he should. They still killed him for it. Maybe he was wondering what all the commotion was behind him and attempted to remove his headphones. Lol, wrong move, punk. Dead.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Do people think cops are actively deciding in the moment "I can kill this person and get away with it?"

No, but I doubt they are thinking anything other than "I am going to die and need to kill this person before he does the same to me" which is horriffic from a public official.

Waco Panty Raid posted:

I only mentiomed open carry to reference people that are looking to provoke police wouldn't have acted in such an irresponsible manner, obviously the cop suspected Taylor had a concealed weapon.

1) I wouldn't describe trying to raise your hands in a pancky way as suspicious and 2) If he had a license for the concealed weapon and was killed, would that make it worse?

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

In the moment, maybe, maybe not. But, throughout their careers, their training, interactions with colleagues, knowledge of zero consequences for colleagues killing people, yes, absolutely 100%.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

Taylor's judgment may have been impaired by his BAC of 0.18 at the time of the incident.

Drunk? Dressed like that? Listening to music instead of paying attention to his surroundings?

Man, he was just asking for it.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

No, but people are thinking that a cops first thought after shooting someone is covering it as fast as possible. This can be corroborated by the number of reports where the victim survives the initial shooting and is not provided emergency medical treatment.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007
Shooting aside, is there some reason, that with all the dozens of innocent people shot by police we've seen, I can't recall a single officer who provided basic first aid at the scene? The guy confirmed that the victim was unarmed, why not throw on some gloves and apply pressure?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

ActusRhesus posted:

When faced with law enforcement the prudent course of action for a firearms permit holder is to comply with law enforcement, place your hands where they tell you to, and calmly state "I have a concealed carry permit. There is a handgun located [wherever] how would you like me to proceed?" Not reach for your gun.

Prior to the incident what law did Taylor break? What type of gun was he reaching for and where was it? During the interaction with the police what law did Taylor break? Did the police find anything on Taylor that was illegal?

Is walking down a sidewalk being inattentive the behaviour of a suspicious individual? Did Taylor have any reasonable expectation that someone would come up behind him screaming and pointing a gun at him? Is the panicked reaction of Taylor illegal?

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 5, 2015

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

Waco Panty Raid posted:

Brandishing/"flashing" is almost certainly still illegal and needs to ve investigated with caution by the police. I'm unfamiliar with the specific law for Utah but I don't think there is a requirement for concealed carry holders to announce themselves as armed at the beginning of interactions with police (some states do, which I think is a good idea). I doubt even the most outspoken open carry nuts (who are literally looking to provoke police) would act like Taylor did, though.

So the brandishing/flashing never happened. Listen to the 911 tape. By the end of the call the only thing actually reported is "he has something in his pocket."

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Finally got a chance to watch the video and holy poo poo, guy loving ignores police instructions and keeps on walking for like 30 seconds while loving around with his waste-band before he finally pulls both hands out together and up like he's drawing a gun.

Also lol at the people trying to say he was startled, he clearly sees and is deliberately ignoring the cops.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Squinty posted:

Shooting aside, is there some reason, that with all the dozens of innocent people shot by police we've seen, I can't recall a single officer who provided basic first aid at the scene? The guy confirmed that the victim was unarmed, why not throw on some gloves and apply pressure?

There has to be some legal reason for this, right? Does rendering aid to someone you shot imply fault or something? It can't just be cold indifference to a fellow human being in need of aid, can it?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Jarmak posted:

Finally got a chance to watch the video and holy poo poo, guy loving ignores police instructions and keeps on walking for like 30 seconds while loving around with his waste-band before he finally pulls both hands out together and up like he's drawing a gun.

Also lol at the people trying to say he was startled, he clearly sees and is deliberately ignoring the cops.

What crime was Taylor committing? Where in that video do you see anything resembling a gun, or a weapon, aside from the police officer's?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

"People" "Cops"

You can't argue no cop ever committed first degree murder on the clock. It sounds like you're more concerned with glib generalization.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Squinty posted:

He does. Its very clear. 2:43+ in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQYlQpFXCw4

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Agrajag posted:

What crime was Taylor committing?

Insufficient fealty.

Waco Panty Raid
Mar 30, 2002

Josef bugman posted:

1) I wouldn't describe trying to raise your hands in a pancky way as suspicious and 2) If he had a license for the concealed weapon and was killed, would that make it worse?
I wouldn't describe what he did as "trying to raise your hands in a pancky way" (if that's the story we're going with now). What part of raising your hands requires lifting your shirt from your waistband? I just watched it again and from the moment he was totally not subtly trying to walk away from the police (the people he was with seemed to have more sense) he was acting in an extremely suspicious manner, there's really no other way to describe it.

I don't know if it would make it "worse" because I'm assuming in this scenario someone is still dead. Perhaps it would have made it better as I'm sure the training would have yold him to not act like that around police.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Agrajag posted:

What crime was Taylor committing?

That's irrelevant, the criteria for shooting someone is perceived threat, not have they committed a crime.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

hobotrashcanfires posted:

Drunk? Dressed like that? Listening to music instead of paying attention to his surroundings?

Man, he was just asking for it.

You see, there is a difference between trying to understand an event and trying to find blame.

A caller who very much used charged language based on bias called in and reported three men, one wearing a white shirt, one wearing a red shirt, and one wearing a striped shirt. Taylor and his brother and friend were wearing shirts that matched that descritption.

quote:

Taylor's 22-year-old brother and 21-year-old cousin were the two men with him and whose clothing matched that described by a 911 caller, who told dispatchers "some gangbangers" walking near 200 East and 1900 South had "flashed" a gun.

"They're obviously looking for trouble, just the way they look," the caller said, according to a transcript of the call.

Fowler said the report to 911 might have deserved a closer look.

"What kind of investigation did they do to determine the credibiliy of the call that came in?" Fowler asked.

The caller described men wearing a white shirt, a striped shirt and a red shirt — the clothing worn by Taylor, his brother and his cousin.

So you have a cop who isn't just running around scaredy-cat shooting at people. You have a cop who is responding to a report of at least one armed person flashing a gun at people, and he finds 3 people that distinctly match the description given by what, in hindsight, was a bogus report. Upon confronting the group, 2 of the 3 immediately throw their hands up, and the cop now thinks the third one who is not complying with his hands in his pants is likely the armed suspect, and the cop is doubly afraid because the one he now thinks is armed isn't responding to his orders, except to turn and face the cop and call out "No, fool!" in response to the officer's demands. When the Taylor finally does pull his hands out, the officer shoots him, because the officer mistakenly thought he was drawing a weapon rather than realizing the truth, which is that Taylor was empty-handed. His perception and attitudes may have been just a tad affected by the several minutes leading up to a split-second decision. As for why Taylor didn't respond more like his brother and friend, he could have been listening to music (unknown), and he was intoxicated, so he may have acted differently in other circumstances. Taylor had also made some vaguely suicidal postings on Facebook a few days prior to this, and he had a felony warrant out for his arrest so who knows what his state of mind was or how clearly he was thinking when he was out and about that day.

quote:

Taylor wrote on Aug. 7, "I feel my time is coming soon, my nightmears are telling me. im gonna have warrants out for my arrest soon ... ill die before I go do a lot of time in a cell."

On Aug. 9 he wrote: "I finely realize I hit rock bottom. im homeless I havnt slept in two days ... as I walk thrw this vally of shadow of death I am fearing evil. its about my time soon."
If you approach these things less from the standpoint of trying to pick a winning side and more like a safety investigation where you look for all the causes of a disaster, you tend to get a clearer picture of what happened.

I wish he hadn't been shot. He in no way "deserved it" or "got what he had coming," but a rather complicated mix of issues led to his death that amounts to more than "lol, this cop sure was a scared murderer." Of all the super hosed up police killings we have, this one is far less egregious than so many others.

source of quotes: http://www.sltrib.com/news/justice/1632686-155/taylor-cruz-gill-shooting-officers-hands

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Waco Panty Raid posted:

I wouldn't describe what he did as "trying to raise your hands in a pancky way" (if that's the story we're going with now). What part of raising your hands requires lifting your shirt from your waistband? I just watched it again and from the moment he was totally not subtly trying to walk away from the police (the people he was with seemed to have more sense) he was acting in an extremely suspicious manner, there's really no other way to describe it.

I don't know if it would make it "worse" because I'm assuming in this scenario someone is still dead. Perhaps it would have made it better as I'm sure the training would have yold him to not act like that around police.

What is the established criteria for the reaction of an innocent person to react to a situation that they would have no reasonable expectation to be in? How does the involvement of earphones distracting one's self from the immediate area complicate such established rules?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Jarmak posted:

That's irrelevant, the criteria for shooting someone is perceived threat, not have they committed a crime.

The only threat in that video is the police officer with a gun pointed at an innocent man that was clumsily raising his shirt above his belly before he was shot.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Jarmak posted:

And the problem with that is the police too often perceive threats where none exist. They are trained to do so through fear and paranoia, and are rarely held responsible for unnecessary use of lethal force.

Edit:

Agrajag posted:

The only threat in that video is the police officer with a gun pointed at an innocent man that was clumsily raising his shirt above his belly before he was shot.

Watching the video, my first reaction was "why the gently caress is the cop pulling his gun out and pointing it at someone with their back to him?" At that point literally anything the guy did could have been construed as a "sudden movement" to a jumpy cop with a drawn weapon afraid for his life.

Rhesus Pieces fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 5, 2015

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I think no cop in the history of cops has ever been required to think twice.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Agrajag posted:

What is the established criteria for the reaction of an innocent person to react to a situation that they would have no reasonable expectation to be in? How does the involvement of earphones distracting one's self from the immediate area complicate such established rules?

A guy with a bunch of arrests warrants out on him has no reasonable expectation to be in that situation?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Agrajag posted:

He actually very much expected it. On Facebook he said he had warrants coming and that he'd rather die than do time.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

mlmp08 posted:

He actually very much expected it. On Facebook he said he had warrants coming and that he'd rather die than do time.

Oh, I had no idea. Guess the officer was just doing him a solid by gunning him down.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

DARPA posted:

Oh, I had no idea. Guess the officer was just doing him a solid by gunning him down.

Yes, that is the argument I have made, you got me!

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Jarmak posted:

This is exactly, exactly how people behave when you yell after them in a public place. "Keep on walking" is some weird instinct that exists and that basically everyone has you massive loving goon.

Edit:

mlmp08 posted:

Everyone who is looking at time thinks the exact same thing at some point or another and it doesn't matter if its six months or six years. Doesn't mean poo poo and practically never leads to anything.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Jarmak posted:

A guy with a bunch of arrests warrants out on him has no reasonable expectation to be in that situation?

He should have known better.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Woozy posted:

Everyone who is looking at time thinks the exact same thing at some point or another and it doesn't matter if its six months or six years. Doesn't mean poo poo and practically never leads to anything.

Sure. My point was that it could have been a motivating factor in why he chose to turn around and yell "No, fool" at the officer. We can't know, but it could be a contributing factor to why the interaction went the way it did. And I was responding to someone claiming that Taylor had no expectation that he'd interact with police when in reality he did have that expectation.

Waco Panty Raid
Mar 30, 2002

Agrajag posted:

Who needs "established criteria" it's basic common sense. Not trying to slink away would be a good start. Keeping your hands in the open would be another.

Kinda like how the other two acted and somehow managed to not get shot by the murder-obsessed coward patrol.

Edit that was kind of an important word to leave out

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Ahh, the not an angel argument for the killing of a person that was committing no crime. So what warrant would this be exactly?

Slink away from someone you probably can not hear and that appoached from behind you while walking down a sidewalk listening to music? Keep trying to pain Taylor as the living embodiment of the devil please.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Agrajag posted:

So what warrant would this be exactly?

Since you're too lazy to google:

quote:

Taylor was facing a $25,000 arrest warrant for allegedly violating probation he received for robbery and obstructing justice; he was arrested July 31 in North Salt Lake for being drunk and interfering with the arresting officer, according to an affidavit filed with the court.

Taylor also had failed to maintain full employment, complete a mental health evaluation or complete a substance abuse evaluation, all conditions of his probation, according to the affidavit.

Taylor expressed an intense feeling of doom, and determination not to go back to jail as a result of the warrant, issued Aug. 7.

"I feel my time is coming soon, my nightmears [sic] are telling me," he wrote that day on Facebook. "ALL my family has turned and snitched on me. I'll die before I go do a lot of time in a cell. I'm trying to strive and live but [I'm] done litrerly [can't] stand breathing and dealing with s—-. I feel like god [can't] even save me on this one. ... this time [it's] me and the demons [I'm] fighting."

Third District Court records show that Taylor pleaded guilty to a reduced count of second-degree felony robbery in connection to thefts at a Beto's restaurant and another 7-Eleven in South Salt Lake in May of 2012. Taylor's co-defendant grabbed the tip jar at Beto's, according to court documents. About an hour later, Taylor's co-defendant stole a case of beer at a 7-Eleven at 2700 S. Adams St. (450 East). When the clerk followed him to a car, Taylor placed a hand into his waistband and told the man, "Don't be a hero ... or I'll ... shoot you," according to court documents.

In an unrelated obstructing justice case in August 2012, Taylor threatened a co-defendant in the robbery case, as well as his wife and daughter, and called the co-defendant "a ... snitch," according to court documents.

Taylor received suspended prison terms and probation in both cases.

The cops didn't know who he was, so it's not like this background had any bearing on how they behaved. Whether it was affecting how Taylor behaved that day is unknowable.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

I wish he hadn't been shot. He in no way "deserved it" or "got what he had coming," but a rather complicated mix of issues led to his death that amounts to more than "lol, this cop sure was a scared murderer." Of all the super hosed up police killings we have, this one is far less egregious than so many others.
No, not really complicated at all. A cop convinced himself he was in mortal danger (as he was trained to do) and killed a person ironically doing what he was being told to do by his killer.

Incidentally, when are the words "no fool" heard on the video?

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I'm still trying to understand why it just assumed that it was OK that the cop had his gun drawn at the start of the whole confrontation. The 911 wasn't talking about anyone being violent, just that some person was "flashing" a gun (an armed society is a polite society!), not that they were threatening people with it, or being in any way violent, just that they looked suspicious and maybe had a gun, and this police starts the whole interaction with his weapon already trained on a group of people. How is that an appropriate response to a non-violent 911 call, or am I not going to get a good answer because "criminals are dangerous and the officer was just protecting himself"?

Waco Panty Raid
Mar 30, 2002

Agrajag posted:

Ahh, the not an angel argument for the killing of a person that was committing no crime. So what warrant would this be exactly?

Slink away from someone you probably can not hear and that appoached from behind you while walking down a sidewalk listening to music? Keep trying to pain Taylor as the living embodiment of the devil please.
Hah so we're now back to he couldn't hear the police, the police he addresses? The police he also somehow failed to see pulling up while he was facing in their direction and then, what, independently decided right at that moment to leave his friends and wander off somewhere that just so happens to be away from the police? Is that ehat you're going with?

I don't need Taylor to be a devil to think the shooting was justified.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Your cops are so bad it makes me appreciate the bad cops we have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Waco Panty Raid posted:

I don't need Taylor to be a devil to think the shooting was justified.

Out of curiosity, can you give me an example of a police shooting (or killing by other means) that was unjustified?

• Locked thread