Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I actually didn't see this thread when I made the other one, but I am crazed by my desire for control over the Traditional Games forum. It's why I run the offsite Trad Games Joss Whedon IRC and we talk about Joss Whedon all day and I ban anyone who says anything different than me about Joss Whedon.

Joss Whedon. Joss Whedon. Joss. Wheeeeeeee don.
ive tried to do this for boardgame threads, but the fame and responsibility wasnt worth it

let it go, man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Of all evil I deem you capable: therefore I want the good from you. Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.

Ningyou posted:

3. Also I guess when I stop being lazy and finish the last bit of OP, AW Hotline Miami thing? IT'S GOING TO HAPPEN OKAY

Idk, I'm not really a running stuff kind of person and really only even consider it when it's like 'i really want to play ____ kind of campaign/system BUT NO ONE WILL RUN IT LIKE EVER time to fill in the gap i guess'

Well, I'm sure someone will run nChangeling eventually. :h: In the meantime, I've already got a picture for Hotline World in mind. Battlebabes with M14s (or possibly FALs)!

Maybe you should call it 'Hotline Orlando', and have everything happen in Miami?

Meinberg posted:

I don't really run stuff anymore. I don't have a face-to-face group, and I don't think I have the right frame of mind for play-by-post.

But if I do run something, I'd probably run something in one of the games I'm designing. Even back when I was a boring D&D nerd, I still tried to hack things in, make the game do things that it wasn't originally intended to do in order to expand the possibilities of the narrative.

Part of the reason I have trouble running things is that I inevitably get disappointed with whatever I'm running unless I hack it to all hell. (I managed to keep that up for 4e for around a year, which is pretty impressive by my standards. I mean, I have plenty of plans in mind, but that'd require effort. (Plus, there's only one game I have in mind that doesn't require system dev work, and I've never actually run anything in TGR before, making using such a dubious prospect without some preexisting reputation.)

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Tekopo posted:

ive tried to do this for boardgame threads, but the fame and responsibility wasnt worth it

let it go, man

Look I told you man, you don't control in the open just become part of the shadow council.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Queen Fiona posted:

Instead, I'm going to ask people about campaigns they're planning on running in the Near Future, or maybe just Dream Campaigns in general! (I've got a few.)

I have so many things I want to run (I don't write them down, but I definitely know what I want to run, either in really specific ideas, or just the desire to run a system), but I'm really bad at starting games, and getting PCs together :( 90% of my games end in the first or second session (or even before it begins). I have vague/less vague clues of what I'm doing wrong, but failing is so discouraging and it builds up in this below the surface resentment and fear and strikes like a snake and then I never get around to doing it or just quitting. :sigh:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Stormgale posted:

Look I told you man, you don't control in the open just become part of the shadow council.
well duh, who the gently caress do you think controls the board game thread hivemind?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tekopo posted:

well duh, who the gently caress do you think controls the board game thread hivemind?
Some sort of avatar of boringne- oh, right.

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Of all evil I deem you capable: therefore I want the good from you. Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.

NachtSieger posted:

I have so many things I want to run (I don't write them down, but I definitely know what I want to run, either in really specific ideas, or just the desire to run a system), but I'm really bad at starting games, and getting PCs together :( 90% of my games end in the first or second session (or even before it begins). I have vague/less vague clues of what I'm doing wrong, but failing is so discouraging and it builds up in this below the surface resentment and fear and strikes like a snake and then I never get around to doing it or just quitting. :sigh:

People aren't very good at letting others know what they do wrong, especially not in a constructive manner. I mean, just look at this thread! :v:

But honestly, running a game is a tricky thing, that requires a lot of skill sets, not all of which are obvious or even related. Knowing a system, running a system, managing personalities, knowing player needs (which may not ever be explicitly communicated and may even be explicitly contradictory), fulfilling said needs, planning, adaptation...there's also the need of players to be invested in things, because it's a group effort, and while people like to talk about the GM as the sole beneficiary, the players should help plot things out if you want a lasting relationship.

You could talk about your problems, if you like, what systems you've tried to run and your playerbase. This kind of thing is hard to diagnose, especially in a hostile environment, but I'd like to think we're here to help. :h:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Some sort of avatar of boringne- oh, right.
:geno:

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

FactsAreUseless posted:

I actually didn't see this thread when I made the other one, but I am crazed by my desire for control over the Traditional Games forum. It's why I run the offsite Trad Games Joss Whedon IRC and we talk about Joss Whedon all day and I ban anyone who says anything different than me about Joss Whedon.

Joss Whedon. Joss Whedon. Joss. Wheeeeeeee don.
Oh, my darling Chat Thread Best Bud FAU......I-I'm sorry, sweet FAU, but Joss Whedon just isn't very good! :ohdear:

joking aside like

as much as I liked (mostly the first few seasons of) Buffy i feel like Joss Whedon is a v. average writer that nerds exalt because ~~~banter~~~ and writing that isn't Actually Feminist so much as it is the "you tried" gold star sticker of feminist writing

also oh my GOD i haven't known a hardcore Firefly fan who hasn't been a gross nerdlord so

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I think everyone is aware by now that Joss "Wil" Whedon-Wheaton is bad.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
My friends used to call "Some dude turning you off a piece of media by cornering you to blather about it to the point you never want to see it ever" "Getting Fireflied" because Browncoats were so bad about exactly that.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

unseenlibrarian posted:

My friends used to call "Some dude turning you off a piece of media by cornering you to blather about it to the point you never want to see it ever" "Getting Fireflied" because Browncoats were so bad about exactly that.

That sorta behavior just doesn't firefly around here

Dec 26, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think everyone is aware by now that Joss "Wil" Whedon-Wheaton is bad.

Would that this were true.

Dec 26, 2012

NachtSieger posted:

90% of games end in a single digit number of sessions regardless of GM. There's a lot of logistics things that can go wrong that have little to nothing to do with your GM style. Don't take it too personally, just keep at it.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

I kinda want to run a star wars campaign now based on a continuity where Wash fakes his death, flees, and becomes Han Solo, resulting in Sana Solo coming after him.

Also, actual asian people.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

what if they both end up killing each other

would u say the setting would be.......sans solo

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

No, Sansa Solo is from my terrible New Republic Game of Thrones mashup idea

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Queen Fiona posted:

You could talk about your problems, if you like, what systems you've tried to run and your playerbase. This kind of thing is hard to diagnose, especially in a hostile environment, but I'd like to think we're here to help. :h:

When all the scheduling/character generation hub-bub is done, I think the majority of my problem is... I can't follow up. Whenever I do think of a way to start a game, and have an initial thing for the PCs to do, after that's over I kind of lose my ability to chain that to another event to keep on going, plot or no plot. I did run a one year long ish successful game, but I honestly have no idea how I did it :v:.

As for what systems I've tried to run... gosh, there's a lot. The ones I can immediately remember ate FATE/FAE/Legends of the Wulin/Double Cross.

01011001 posted:

90% of games end in a single digit number of sessions regardless of GM. There's a lot of logistics things that can go wrong that have little to nothing to do with your GM style. Don't take it too personally, just keep at it.

Yeah I know games fizzle out for reasons not immediately owing to the GM/the players being enormous dickheads, but it still hurts the self-esteem, and dammit, that's what counts :v:.

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

NachtSieger posted:

When all the scheduling/character generation hub-bub is done, I think the majority of my problem is... I can't follow up. Whenever I do think of a way to start a game, and have an initial thing for the PCs to do, after that's over I kind of lose my ability to chain that to another event to keep on going, plot or no plot. I did run a one year long ish successful game, but I honestly have no idea how I did it :v:.

As for what systems I've tried to run... gosh, there's a lot. The ones I can immediately remember ate FATE/FAE/Legends of the Wulin/Double Cross.

'Railroading' is something of a dirty word, but honestly? My greatest successes have been when I've thought ahead toward an endgame. You don't need to plan out entire campaigns at once, and you should always be willing to change your plans based on player action and response, but having an idea of 'the plot' and machinations going on behind the scenes helps keep parties going along. It's generally better to over-plan than to under-plan.

If you want to be more responsive with player input (and that's a fair cop), well, that requires the players having a willingness to provide said input. Sometimes it's just a matter of asking or cooperating, but sometimes it helps to lay things upfront. One thing you could do is provide some prompts, like GMs tend to do in The Game Room - ask them some questions that you can use as story seeds, make sure there are preexisting connections in the world. It's much easier for players to remain invested in something when they have a stake in it, rather than interacting on an external level and poking at the world state.

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Meanwhile, I'm currently trying to finish up my own TGR thread OP, and wondering about opinions on the amount of effortposting required (or desirable!) and the use of music/art in campaign pitches (and campaigns in general!).

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Queen Fiona posted:

'Railroading' is something of a dirty word, but honestly? My greatest successes have been when I've thought ahead toward an endgame. You don't need to plan out entire campaigns at once, and you should always be willing to change your plans based on player action and response, but having an idea of 'the plot' and machinations going on behind the scenes helps keep parties going along. It's generally better to over-plan than to under-plan.

If you want to be more responsive with player input (and that's a fair cop), well, that requires the players having a willingness to provide said input. Sometimes it's just a matter of asking or cooperating, but sometimes it helps to lay things upfront. One thing you could do is provide some prompts, like GMs tend to do in The Game Room - ask them some questions that you can use as story seeds, make sure there are preexisting connections in the world. It's much easier for players to remain invested in something when they have a stake in it, rather than interacting on an external level and poking at the world state.

Yeah this is it like there are multiple ways you can approach it (I entirely work by the seat of my pants and just run with whatever) player input and agency and the narrative, do you have limited plot threads you expand as neaded, a set campaign is 100% ok so long as everyone is on board with it... like railroading is only bad when the players want a game about high court intrigue and the GM goes "NO YOU WILL FIGHT DRAGONS FOREVER".

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

effortposts are cool+cute and fill me with a sense of wistful longing for a nonexistent golden age when i cared about punctuation and not apping ham ham horrible gay anime garbagetrash to everything

real talk though effortposts are good! And I totally add some music/art when I can find something suitable. I did it with CHVRCHES and that Summerland thread, at least!

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
This is when you should find a compromise and run a game about Courtly intrigue among dragons. Like dragons collect aristocrats , aristocrats are still aristocrats wherever they are and they start forming courts in the caves and abandoned towers and trying to one up each other with which of their dragons has defeated more knights this month and trying to one up each other over who has the best hair care and wardrobe while in exile in a dragon lair.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

^^^ 10/10 would app

Have you considered effort posting about gay anime garbagetrash?

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

dragons don't have hair though

immersion ruined, thanks a ton

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Haven't you seen Spirited Away? They can totally have hair!

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

EXCUSE ME

I THINK YOU SHOULD HAND IN YOUR ANIME TRASH CARD TYVM

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

sorry i have the anime disease where i literally cannot bring myself to care about dragon ball anything

but yes

IMMERSION

RU~INED

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Also I was talking about the aristocrat captives having hair, but:

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

ummmmmmmmmmmmmm i'm sorry that doesn't count

that is literally a dank marihuana reefer-induced hallucination THAT DOESN'T COUNT AS A REAL DRAGON and besides that's not hair hair

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

K Prime posted:

I kinda want to run a star wars campaign now based on a continuity where Wash fakes his death, flees, and becomes Han Solo, resulting in Sana Solo coming after him.

Also, actual asian people.

There are Nemoidians already.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What in the gently caress is wrong with this thread? Let's talk about Greg Stafford and Sandy Peterson coming back to Chaosium, instead of... Whatever this is mean to be.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

Fsmhunk posted:

What in the gently caress is wrong with this thread? Let's talk about Greg Stafford and Sandy Peterson coming back to Chaosium, instead of... Whatever this is mean to be.

w h o c a r e s :frogout:

in seriousness though there are other threads talking about that and this kinda sounds a little overly HRNGH YOURE HAVING FUN WRONG for this kind of thread?

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Fsmhunk posted:

That seems fairly boring to me! That said, you probably could've just...posted about it? There might be someone interested in that, I dunno. It seems like a more productive line of inquiry than being baffled at shitposting in an off-topic chat thread.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

You can't funpost on this thread or post funny images otherwise the butt hurt Australian will probate you.

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

I'm not really sure mod sass is going to help your case.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

first they came for the weird racist shitposters, and i did not speak out because i was not a weird racist shitposter......

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Hey! Be nice to Ettin! Ettin is nice! :colbert:

Also, I don't know who Greg Stafford and Sandy Peterson and Chaosium are, so...sorry, I guess.

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

I won't lie, Ettin is pretty great. I mean, I'm in a game with him on Saturdays, and his monk is adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Queen Fiona posted:

I'm not really sure mod sass is going to help your case.

I do what I want because I'm a free man.

• Locked thread