Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Bush's number 1 guy shot someone in the face, his number 2 guy liked to molest teen boys...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
The state of Nebraska recently abolished its death penalty. Despite this, Nebraska governor Pete Ricketts is threatening to execute the ten prisoners on death row.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/06/a-governor-threatens-to-execute-prisoners-out-of-spite/394949/

RonJeremysBalzac fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 5, 2015

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Casimir Radon posted:

Bush's number 1 guy shot someone in the face, his number 2 guy liked to molest teen boys...

Whatever happened with Bill Clinton and the pedojet?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Luigi Thirty posted:

Whatever happened with Bill Clinton and the pedojet?

Alan Dershowitz got caught up in it.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

The state of Nebraska recently abolished it's death penalty. Despite this, Nebraska governor Pete Ricketts is threatening to execute the ten prisoners on death row.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/06/a-governor-threatens-to-execute-prisoners-out-of-spite/394949/

Um...how, exactly? Is he going to shoot them himself?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Alter Ego posted:

Um...how, exactly? Is he going to shoot them himself?

He's arguing that the legislature isn't allowed to commute sentences and thus these men are still to die even if no new men can be sentenced to death.

I presume using some drugs they snuck into the state.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

He's arguing that the legislature isn't allowed to commute sentences and thus these men are still to die even if no new men can be sentenced to death.

Did anyone sell sodium thiopental on The Silk Road?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

Did anyone sell sodium thiopental on The Silk Road?

He bought a crapload of random poo poo that may not even work. He's a numbskull, and walking finger.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

The funny thing about the convoluted execution process is that once the reform goes into effect, all the men will still be sentenced to death and have to spend their sentence on death row, but no official will have the authority to issue the actual execution warrant, meaning all the convicts will just be stuck waiting for an execution that legally cannot happen.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Nonsense posted:

He bought a crapload of random poo poo that may not even work.

And, according to what was mentioned on Last Week Tonight, which cannot even be legally imported into the United States.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

ComradeCosmobot posted:

And, according to what was mentioned on Last Week Tonight, which cannot even be legally imported into the United States.

I'm sure you could find some underground stuff in Texas somewhere, might be the only place with enough demand.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
'When this man is administered with drugs obtained illegally, he dies. Watch, kids, and remember - just say no.'

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

I'm sure you could find some underground stuff in Texas somewhere, might be the only place with enough demand.

They're not allowed to administer meds that weren't procured from a licensed pharmaceutical company or compounder. Any inmate facing the prospect of execution could sue on the grounds that the state was breaking the law, and they'd almost certainly win.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Zeroisanumber posted:

They're not allowed to administer meds that weren't procured from a licensed pharmaceutical company or compounder. Any inmate facing the prospect of execution could sue on the grounds that the state was breaking the law, and they'd almost certainly win.

Edit: actually seems like getting the drugs illegally isn't enough to stop an execution.

About the MO case:

quote:

The federal judge noted that the state revealed the actual contents of the compounded product only a few days before the execution, and that the state updated its report only a few hours prior to the execution. The court said:

“Because the Department has only recently changed its protocol and has kept secret the name of the pharmacy and the specific characteristics of the drug to be used, Plaintiffs have had no opportunity to conduct discovery to determine the risks of the new protocol. However, in the little time Plaintiffs have had to research the Department’s new protocol, their experts have opined that there are numerous risks associated with the use of secretly compounded pentobarbital, including risks of contamination and super- and sub-potency affecting the effectiveness of the drug.”

Rationale
The judge first turned to the question of whether speculation about the dangerous character of a compounded product used for lethal injection is sufficient to show a significant risk of severe pain that would support a challenge based on the Eighth Amendment’s prohibition of cruel and unusual punishment. Following established precedent, the court ruled that “speculation alone as to whether a drug will cause pain and suffering is insufficient to prove use of the drug will cause needless suffering.”

The judge then considered the argument that state and federal laws would be violated by the execution protocol because the law prohibits compounding of a drug that is a copy of a commercially available product.

As to this argument, the judge stated: “Pentobarbital is a commercially available drug under the name of Nembutal, therefore compounding that drug violates the law. However, [the condemned prisoner] has provided no evidence that Defendants have violated this regulation. It is the pharmacist who violated the law by compounding the pentobarbital. Defendants merely acquired the illegally compounded pentobarbital.”

The judge also rejected the prisoner’s argument that issuance of a prescription for lethal injection is not a legitimate medical purpose and his contention that state law forbids designating a compounding pharmacist as an “Execution Team Member.”

The judge concluded that the prisoner’s claims were not sufficient to warrant a stay of execution.

(https://www.pharmacist.com/court-rules-pharmacist-compounding-execution-illegal)

No stay of execution for him.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 5, 2015

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Casimir Radon posted:

Wouldn't that technically mean that at one point they've both shot a man in the face? :haw:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

A Winner is Jew posted:

Wouldn't that technically mean that at one point they've both shot a man in the face? :haw:

Had any of the teens yet had their bar mitzvah or similar rite of passage?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

A Winner is Jew posted:

Dude, what the gently caress.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Chantilly Say posted:

Dude, what the gently caress.

USPol July: Hide Yo Kids (from the GOP)

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away

A Winner is Jew posted:

:wtc:

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Had any of the teens yet had their bar mitzvah or similar rite of passage?

Yeah I heard they just lost their virginity.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

I said presidential candidates, not retired criminals, but I'll take the reply in the spirit with which it was intended. :tipshat:

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

Tubgoat posted:

And in turn, see Bernie wipe the floor with Hillary.

Given the recent polling around income inequality and distribution of wealth, I think Sanders has a much stronger long term position than people appreciate. Hillary has enormous name recognition and a strong core of supporters, but it will be very easy for her to fall into the same traps Romney did and appear out of touch and robotic, all while Sanders makes a weird rear end coalition of young idealists and a disillusioned middle class. It's a stretch, obviously, but not impossible before Super Tuesday by any means.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

pugnax posted:

Given the recent polling around income inequality and distribution of wealth, I think Sanders has a much stronger long term position than people appreciate. Hillary has enormous name recognition and a strong core of supporters, but it will be very easy for her to fall into the same traps Romney did and appear out of touch and robotic, all while Sanders makes a weird rear end coalition of young idealists and a disillusioned middle class. It's a stretch, obviously, but not impossible before Super Tuesday by any means.

Weren't people saying similar things about Ron Paul in 2012?

Kro-Bar fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 5, 2015

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

pugnax posted:

Also doesn't help that she looks like a witch.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Edit: actually seems like getting the drugs illegally isn't enough to stop an execution.

This would be an interesting situation for asset forfeiture to come into play.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

pugnax posted:

It's impossible. Bernie has neither the money nor the organization to make a victory possible, and if he did win the general would be a ideologically flipped version of LBJ/Goldwater in '64.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Amergin posted:

A Strong Argument

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dr. Tough posted:

Actually Wisconsin gained 70,000 people, I was looking at the wrong columns before.

Except going by RNI alone they should've gained about 90,000 people in the same period.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Amergin posted:

This is what you've been reduced to? Cutting edge. I suppose our sitting president looks like a witch doctor?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Alan Dershowitz got caught up in it.

Thanks for making me think of Alan Dershowitz getting sucked into a jet engine.

And for the inevitable disappointment that it hasn't happened.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

pugnax posted:

Ah yes, Bernie just has to appeal to those two political bedrocks: the famously reliable youth vote, and those who are disillusioned with politics

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

SedanChair posted:

This is what you've been reduced to? Cutting edge. I suppose our sitting president looks like a witch doctor?

Are you implying that a large numbers of voters aren't, at least implicitly, biased towards the better-looking candidates?

Because research has shown we tend to listen more to and appreciate the points made by better looking people. Is Bernie Sanders better looking than Hill Clint? Ehhh...

Is Rick Perry better looking than them both? You betcha.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Amergin posted:

Are you implying that a large numbers of voters aren't, at least implicitly, biased towards the better-looking candidates?

____________________/

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Amergin posted:

Because research has shown we tend to listen more to and appreciate the points made by better looking people. Is Bernie Sanders better looking than Hill Clint? Ehhh...

Is Rick Perry better looking than them both? You betcha.

Like I said earlier Rick Perry's big advantage is he is actually handsome and that is magnified by his opponents who range from bland (Santorum) to human shaped lard balls (Huckabee).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Trabisnikof posted:

So if he uses smuggled chemicals he and the people who carried out the execution(s) are all able to be brought up on Federal charges right? I mean they clearly won't be and they'd get away with it, but it'd technically be possible?

Trabisnikof posted:

About the MO case:

Put that judge to death unless he'd accept his own tortured bullshit as a valid defense from people using drugs they buy from others, like crystal meth.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Hermione was a witch and she kicked major rear end. Don't hate.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

About the MO case:

That case pretty much just says that it was pure speculation that compounded phenobarbital would be painful where manufactured phenobarbital wouldn't. It'd likely be a different case if it was an untried drug where it's established that use of that drug isn't an 8th Amendment issue.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In which Tom Cotton learns that calling on people with military lapel pins who showed up to your event doesn't always work out for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkZ_wAXjp-0

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Trabisnikof posted:

About the MO case:

God do these people realize how stupid this all sounds?

loving Christ, stop playing all these goddamn games with mystery drug cocktails: either completely ban the Death Penalty and commute any death sentences, use Nitrogen Asphyxiation as an actually quick and painless execution method, or go old school like Utah and have a loving firing squad (or super old school with the guillotine).

Honestly I think I'd literally prefer a firing squad over a lethal injection given how long some of those lethal injections take.

On a separate note:

DemeaninDemon posted:

Hermione was a witch and she kicked major rear end. Don't hate.
:hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

As someone who's gonna vote for Hilary, she looks evil in that picture.

• Locked thread