Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Brendan Rodgers posted:

At first just put your best players on the pitch in a 4-5-1 with maybe 2 or 3 team instructions at the most, no player instructions, like a general idea of how you wanna play, maybe just put them on counter and direct passing or something. Then watch a match on Extended at least, and try small changes from there based on what you see.

While sensible advice for a real soccer fan, I think this is way too advanced for this guy. I mean look at this:

Waroduce posted:

I dont have any understanding of formations or positions. I have no understanding of the stats required for each position. I have no understanding of players. Like if I play madden franchise, I know to go buy x, y, z players off the bat, and if I want to build a power run team, I need big offensive linemen with high str and run blocking. I have none of the equivalent soccer/futbol knowledge.

Will I not enjoy this game until I gain a working knowledge of positions, stats and players that fit? Like idk the differnce between Eden Hazard and James Milner, but they both play midfield.

At this point, I think picking a downloaded tactic is a reasonable way to go. Just use a search filter for the stats that are highlighted (as covered in BR's post) for each position and it should make sense eventually.

By eventually I mean over the course of a few years. I'm also American, played high school football (poorly) and used to play Tecmo Super Bowl, bought Madden every year, NCAA, etc. It took me quite long a time of of playing Championship Manager and watching soccer IRL to learn how formations worked, etc.

Mandalay fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

That's a good point. I'm sure there was an effort post in TRP at some point (maybe the noob thread during the World Cup?) on what all the different positions required from a player and what that meant for the team but hosed if I'm going to go find it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
This year's "super tactics" are almost all very attacking simply because it's easier to troubleshoot attacking play compared to defensive or possession-based approaches if you're trying to break the game for internet kudos. It's not the only way to play if you want long- or short-term success.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Success in Football Manager comes down to how well you do in three areas: Tactics, Recruitment and Morale.

The first has the highest learning curve. For example, the game never tells you that the shape of your formation on the tactics screen refers to your Defensive Shape, so people will put three players in the AM line and then wonder why their team concedes a lot of goals. Attacking Shape is determined by the roles the players are given. A wide player with an attack duty will take up much the same positions when your team is pushing forward whether he is placed in the AM, midfield, or defensive midfield lines (it just takes him a bit longer to get there if you're countering quickly).

Recruitment is easy for football fans and veterans of the series. The cheese players are well known, and don't change much from game to game as most of them are pet favourites of their respective researchers. I doubt we'll be seeing Carlos Fierro lighting up the real world any time soon. If you have no idea who's who, hire an assistant manager with a very high Judging Player Ability score and rely on his star ratings and recommended roles. Same with scouts. It's better than nothing.

Morale is probably the most important. A team of average players with high morale will consistently overperform regardless of how good/bad their tactics are. Similarly, if morale starts to drop, results will suffer and your form will probably go into a nosedive that ends only with your sacking, even if you've got a team full of Messis.

All attributes are effected by morale. A bad player who's feeling great is a better choice than your sulky star striker who wants to move away. Keep morale high by a) Winning Games (mid-season friendlies against amateur sides can help) b) praising good form (anything over 7.2 avg. for the last 5 games) & training performance (if they're mentioned in monthly report) c) game time for specific players, d) bowing to their silly demands and e) turfing out the idiots who make lots of silly demands.

It's basically a babysitting game.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I'm a dumb baby and couldn't find out googling on my crap phone. Does FM2015 have updated MLS squads? And have NYCFC and Orlando in (and Chivas out)?

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Aww yeah

ed:

joshtothemaxx posted:

I'm a dumb baby and couldn't find out googling on my crap phone. Does FM2015 have updated MLS squads? And have NYCFC and Orlando in (and Chivas out)?

The structure is up to date (NYC, Orlando, no Chivas) but because of the start dates the squads aren't, or at least the AI has an expansion draft between NYC and Orlando.

Fat Lowtax fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 4, 2015

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Fat Lowtax posted:

Aww yeah

ed:

The structure is up to date (NYC, Orlando, no Chivas) but because of the start dates the squads aren't, or at least the AI has an expansion draft between NYC and Orlando.

To add to this the game also sorta fucks up cup things the first season with NY and if you qualify for the CONCACAF champions league, you don't actually get in.

Also, David Villa is loving absurd in MLS and will score you 40 goals if you don't gently caress up the tactics. Just stick him up front, feed him balls and watch him demolish all the lovely MLS keepers. It's hard as hell to keep him happy so go fetch someone from Spain to give him a buddy and between him and Lampard you should easily win MLS until both of them retire every single season with almost no effort. You also get the #1 or #2 draft pick which mostly guarantees you another international quality starter if you do that right and because MLS is generally weak, it's fairly easy to dominate until you get to the playoffs when any stupid thing can happen I guess.

NYCFC is basically cheat mode until 2018/19

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

This game is on Steam sale at the mo (£10), and I've been holding off since FM2014. Is it worth buying or should I wait for the next version?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
There is a free weekend as well so you can try it yourself. Although it doesn't actually seem to be working right now.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I finally caved and bought this lovely thing because it was cheap and I'm weak.

Maybe it's time to finally retire my 15 season FM11 game.

Bogan Krkic posted:

That's a good point. I'm sure there was an effort post in TRP at some point (maybe the noob thread during the World Cup?) on what all the different positions required from a player and what that meant for the team but hosed if I'm going to go find it.

I wrote a huge dumb effort post in the World Cup noob thread on positions and formations but I cba to go find it right now.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Olewithmilk posted:

This game is on Steam sale at the mo (£10), and I've been holding off since FM2014. Is it worth buying or should I wait for the next version?

It's well worth a tenner

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Someone convince me this is worth 18 Loonies...

What's the big thing that I can exploit and make this game silly?

Jamizzy99
Jul 4, 2007
Do tactics have to be changed every year? I feel like my players get better and better and then their performance from year to year just turns to poo poo

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

vyelkin posted:

I finally caved and bought this lovely thing because it was cheap and I'm weak.

Maybe it's time to finally retire my 15 season FM11 game.

I wrote a huge dumb effort post in the World Cup noob thread on positions and formations but I cba to go find it right now.

I spent all day finding it ftw

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3639574&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=27#post431344053

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

lol thats in response to one of my questions

still clueless but its an awesome read. the post and the book

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Jamizzy99 posted:

Do tactics have to be changed every year? I feel like my players get better and better and then their performance from year to year just turns to poo poo

That depends who you are / what's happening at your club. Twice a year the game re calculates your club reputation, so if your tactic works well against teams who attack you but can't break a defensive side down you will have this problem every time your team goes from underdog to genuine contender in other teams eyes. If you are Real Madrid this doesn't affect you as everyone will always sit back.

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
In a truly sticky situation it's good to get back to basics of "get stuck in" and "tackle harder" and aggressive team talks as a good tactic as you watch your squad snap Wayne Rooneys ankle out of frustration... but deep down, it's you whose snapped.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I can't believe they actually implemented a semi-competent expansion draft for the MLS. Now my sperglord senses wish it could be a league-wide fantasy draft.

Cthulhumatic
May 21, 2007
Not dreaming...just turned off.
So the attribute range thing is really throwing me off - roughly how long do you need to scout a player (or have them on trial) to actually see their proper attributes? Do better scouts actually help with this or is purely a built-in time sink for "realism?"

I went searching for advice on the SI forums (loving awful idea) and those fuckers were advocating that even players you fully sign should have attribute ranges for at least month - I think playing this game is their full-time job.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cthulhumatic posted:

So the attribute range thing is really throwing me off - roughly how long do you need to scout a player (or have them on trial) to actually see their proper attributes? Do better scouts actually help with this or is purely a built-in time sink for "realism?"

I went searching for advice on the SI forums (loving awful idea) and those fuckers were advocating that even players you fully sign should have attribute ranges for at least month - I think playing this game is their full-time job.

My scouts generally need a month for a few games to get 100% report. Better scouts will know faster probably and also if they have knowledge of the region/league they may have a better idea in the first place

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Cthulhumatic posted:

This is why I just disable player attribute masking and call it a day.

Cthulhumatic
May 21, 2007
Not dreaming...just turned off.

Mandalay posted:

This is why I just disable player attribute masking and call it a day.

I am considering it - I think that I just got so used to the old system of attribute masking that I am having trouble dealing with the ranges. I really think that it was an unnecessary change, to be honest, but what do I know.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Never used Attribute Masking it obviously another layer of difficulty but i just cannot be bothered to micromanage scouting to get 100% on everyone.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Tbh I like the new attribute masking because it stops me from spending over 9000 hours poring over every player in the world trying to decide if they're any good, now I can just look at them and say 'I have no idea' and either take a punt or not

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

The best is still signing someone with no visible attributes at all from a country I can't scout, only because he has 10 caps for Japan and like Everton made a bid. All my transfer budget went away on Shitcunt Nakamura, but it was fun

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Fat Lowtax posted:

The best is still signing someone with no visible attributes at all from a country I can't scout, only because he has 10 caps for Japan and like Everton made a bid. All my transfer budget went away on Shitcunt Nakamura, but it was fun

Lol this, my most reliable player is an Iranian dm who never had a contract and was offered to me by his agent after being released as a youth player by Tractor Shitzi FC as a 16yo and I signed sight unseen

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Is there something new I need to do regarding injuries, everyone seems a lot more susceptible to them now.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
What does fm have to say about who will win the final today

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Mandalay posted:

While sensible advice for a real soccer fan, I think this is way too advanced for this guy. I mean look at this:

I don't have a frame of reference I guess, I first played CM in 97 because my dad was too cheap to get me FIFA and thought discounted CM game was the same thing. What a legend.

But still, I stick by my advice of how to make a tactic from scratch. Maybe you just gotta learn the "basics" first.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Olewithmilk posted:

Is there something new I need to do regarding injuries, everyone seems a lot more susceptible to them now.

You actually have to pay attention to condition and fitness now. Can't get away with heavy training all the way through the season any more, or give players 90 minutes straight after coming back from a knock.

Or scout the world for players that don't get injured.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm seeing more knocks and little things but fewer long term injuries which is nice and I would say a bit more reflective of real life

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
I tend to leave things to very light or light general training (depending on squad happiness) and medium or heavy individual training... I avoid injuries for the most part and still see improvements where they may though it might be slightly slower development on paper, in practice I feel extra time on the pitch makes up for it in the sense that players being uninjured = more playing time = better form and development as opposed to trying to force the issue on the training ground and having a squad of sports hernia induced garbagemen.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I'm 1 point away from Champions League qualification with Gateshead

But I have to play City, Liverpool then relegated Burnley on the final day

I have a terrible record against the big teams and leaving it to the last day seems like I'll be pushing my luck

However I am also in the UEFA league final so there is another chance- I have to play Inter who narrowly beat Dortmund who I trounced in the group stage if that's anything to go by

I also have the FA cup final vs Man Utd who beat me in the League cup back in the 3rd round

I forgot to mention my 2 main midfields have an ACL and a torn hamstring!

I don't really mind retaining UEFA and trying to get in that Marquee signing that steps us up a level (I've spotted a wonderful 24 year old Brazillian keeper who will replace the ageing Matthew Ryan)

however most of my squad are around 25 or lower, underpaid and threatening to leave if we don't get champions league... The problem being they are all rubbish at big games and I've got 6 'cup finals' to finish the season off and could quite easily lose it all :(

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

Success in Football Manager comes down to how well you do in three areas: Tactics, Recruitment and Morale.

The first has the highest learning curve. For example, the game never tells you that the shape of your formation on the tactics screen refers to your Defensive Shape, so people will put three players in the AM line and then wonder why their team concedes a lot of goals. Attacking Shape is determined by the roles the players are given. A wide player with an attack duty will take up much the same positions when your team is pushing forward whether he is placed in the AM, midfield, or defensive midfield lines (it just takes him a bit longer to get there if you're countering quickly).

Recruitment is easy for football fans and veterans of the series. The cheese players are well known, and don't change much from game to game as most of them are pet favourites of their respective researchers. I doubt we'll be seeing Carlos Fierro lighting up the real world any time soon. If you have no idea who's who, hire an assistant manager with a very high Judging Player Ability score and rely on his star ratings and recommended roles. Same with scouts. It's better than nothing.

Morale is probably the most important. A team of average players with high morale will consistently overperform regardless of how good/bad their tactics are. Similarly, if morale starts to drop, results will suffer and your form will probably go into a nosedive that ends only with your sacking, even if you've got a team full of Messis.

All attributes are effected by morale. A bad player who's feeling great is a better choice than your sulky star striker who wants to move away. Keep morale high by a) Winning Games (mid-season friendlies against amateur sides can help) b) praising good form (anything over 7.2 avg. for the last 5 games) & training performance (if they're mentioned in monthly report) c) game time for specific players, d) bowing to their silly demands and e) turfing out the idiots who make lots of silly demands.

It's basically a babysitting game.

Oh my god thank you. I have on and off played like 5 versions of this game and never realised this. No wonder I concede so many drat goals.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

angry armadillo posted:

I'm 1 point away from Champions League qualification with Gateshead

But I have to play City, Liverpool then relegated Burnley on the final day

I have a terrible record against the big teams and leaving it to the last day seems like I'll be pushing my luck

However I am also in the UEFA league final so there is another chance- I have to play Inter who narrowly beat Dortmund who I trounced in the group stage if that's anything to go by

I also have the FA cup final vs Man Utd who beat me in the League cup back in the 3rd round

I forgot to mention my 2 main midfields have an ACL and a torn hamstring!

I don't really mind retaining UEFA and trying to get in that Marquee signing that steps us up a level (I've spotted a wonderful 24 year old Brazillian keeper who will replace the ageing Matthew Ryan)

however most of my squad are around 25 or lower, underpaid and threatening to leave if we don't get champions league... The problem being they are all rubbish at big games and I've got 6 'cup finals' to finish the season off and could quite easily lose it all :(

The teams below you are under just as much pressure. Chances are they won't win all 3 games anyway.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Injuries in this game are a bit ridiculous. Every single one of my first choice forwards and attacking midfielders went down for at least two months, usually four.

Fortunately I was able to get decent replacements in and stem the bleeding and am still a point off the league lead with 10 games to play. Also, instant result seems to hate me.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Sky Shadowing posted:

Injuries in this game are a bit ridiculous. Every single one of my first choice forwards and attacking midfielders went down for at least two months, usually four.

Tone down your training and rotate more. This is completely avoidable.

Only your best player should be injured at all times.

Instant result? FFS hand in your badge and gun, you're off the case.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Masonity posted:

The teams below you are under just as much pressure. Chances are they won't win all 3 games anyway.

In the end, I loaded up my game - as soon as i pressed continue, I qualified for the Champions league due to other results

draw 1-1 with City and Liverpool, lost to Burnley!

then lost 1-2 to Inter and beat Utd for Gateshead's first ever trophy on penos 6-5!

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Just got this in the sale over the weekend, but can't seem to find an instant result skin that works. Anyone know of any? Neither of the ones on workshop show up, the one on sortitoutsi didn't show up until I changed a filename, and then refuses to work (ticking reload on confirm with it selected automatically reselects the default each time; manually clearing the cache with it selected and restarting prevents it from ever reaching the main menu). Any ideas? :(

e: Okay so the first one I try after making this post works, naturally. Crisis averted!

Allyn fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
FM with instant result is just spreadsheet management. You get none of the highs and lows of watching your poo poo little players run about scoring goals and giving away penalties, and miss out on the satisfaction of changing your tactics after half an hour to exploit the spaces on the flanks, dropping a a holding midfielder into the DM line, and earning that 7-2 win over Watford.

If you don't enjoy game management then you should plan to avoid the next few years releases. Match day experience is where the most work is being done, now and for the forseeable future.

• Locked thread