Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pierson posted:

Is there ever a point at which it ISN'T a good idea to upgrade my GPU and instead upgrade a different component? I'm using an i5-2500k system with 8GB of RAM and my GPU is a G770 that is getting kind of cranky and one of the fans is making a frankly annoying noise. A friend is offering me a cheap-ish 980 and I really want to take it off his hands. This is a 90% dumb question but I need to be sure because this is a big chunk of change; there isn't going to be some kind of weird thing where my other components will be too old/outdated to run the thing properly, right?

You can have components (like CPU and motherboard and RAM) that need to be upgraded with an eye to compatibility, but in your case you are good to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Id' say for now and the last what, 5 -6, maybe 7 years? upgrading the GPU and going form HDD to SSD were the real performance picks, most everything hasn't mattered a ton. Maybe 2016/17 will make a big difference in the switch to Cannonlake and Zen+ along with DDR4 but for now, if you're running on an SSD than you should be okay with just upgrading the GPU.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

If minimap wouldn't exist, I'd say yes. As it is, it's minor at best, dota players will keep screaming at you to look at your minimap at all times, why does my zoom matter then?

It's dumb, and it makes things absolutely huge and feels super cramped on my 30", to the point of being frustrating. I know, first world problems, but it's just dumb design. I played heroes of newerth a bit, and there was a console command to uncap the zoom and it made it better in every single way, but then idiots with 11" monitors started complaining about it and they removed it and I stopped playing again.

I agree that it isn't the best use of a super kickass ultrawide and I wish they could change it. Not to go crazy off-topic, but the minimap isn't going to show that the offlaners are pushing through the creepwave to dive you or that a stun is being cast, etc. You would just see the icons generally around the creep wave. If your camera is off checking the rune or whatever jungle vision you have that's an opportunity for things to happen in your lane that you don't know about. It's just not fair imo for some players to have that vulnerability and others not to, even though it's chance since the enemy won't know where you are looking.

However, I still take advantage by playing windowed in the center in 1080p. For new heros I keep a build guide up on the left side of the game window and my music playlist on the right. Easy access to information that makes a real difference when learning new dudes!

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Subjunctive posted:

You can have components (like CPU and motherboard and RAM) that need to be upgraded with an eye to compatibility, but in your case you are good to go.
Aight, cool, thanks man.

Looking forward to the upgrade I gotta say. The old 770 is really starting to show the cracks running Witcher 3, be nice to be future-proof for a couple more years.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I don't mind upgrading questions, but there IS a very friendly and helpful PC upgrading thread, myself and plenty of others would love to help with upgrading questions there! It is highly trafficked and monitored by lots of friendly goons :)

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Pierson posted:

Aight, cool, thanks man.

Looking forward to the upgrade I gotta say. The old 770 is really starting to show the cracks running Witcher 3, be nice to be future-proof for a couple more years.

Only thing I'd look out for is what you have your 2500k clocked at, it can make a ridiculously large difference depending on that.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Only thing I'd look out for is what you have your 2500k clocked at, it can make a ridiculously large difference depending on that.
I've never touched the inside of my PC except to dust and replace an even older GPU, everything is clocked/tuned as standard. I imagine overclocking is a different thread though.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Probably. A 2500K is begging for an OC if you start feeling a performance bottleneck, those things can fly at over 4GHz to the point a good OC makes them competitive with anything without a -E suffix. That thing is one of the best CPUs in recent memory and has plenty of legs yet.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Pierson posted:

I've never touched the inside of my PC except to dust and replace an even older GPU, everything is clocked/tuned as standard. I imagine overclocking is a different thread though.

Well, the thing is that I ran my 2600k at stock for a while and when I OCed it, and it was as easy as bumping the clock up in bios and running a stress test to make sure the OC was stable, it doubled my frame rates in many of my games. So yeah it can be a huge bottleneck for something like a 970 of you leave it at stock speeds.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

The reference PNY has been in stock at newegg all day, which at least does suggest somewhat better availability. I mean, I realize nobody really wants to buy a PNY card unless they get a deal on it, but I am sure it works fine. It is the stock pcb with the stock cooler, after all.

It does seem that MSI is coming out with a lightning-like variant, though all they've shown is a box. Rumor is a couple months for that one. The twin frozr 6g version is supposed to be out by the end of the month.

Not much news from Asus. Definitely interested in their three fan cooler though. Hopefully out by the end of the month, but I can't find anything.

Maximumpc has some SLI scaling numbers. Works better with some games than others. Personally I've only ever stuck with a single card, but I could definitely see the appeal if you have a 1440p 144 Hz monitor, or are planning to get one. A little rich for me right now.
http://www.maximumpc.com/nvidia-gtx-980-ti-2-way-sli-crushing-performance/

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Probably a long shot, but does anyone know if you can connect a splitter to the Hybrid cooler to run a push/pull config? I've found exactly one person asking this on the 980 version (I have the Titan X variant), EVGA won't tell him because they don't support it, and nobody else gave him an answer. I do have an fan controller I can use to run the extra fan, but I'll have to set its speed manually rather than letting the card control it as it does with the fan it came with.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 5, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

KakerMix posted:

Probably a long shot, but does anyone know if you can connect a splitter to the Hybrid cooler to run a push/pull config? I've found exactly one person asking this on the 980 version (I have the Titan X variant), EVGA won't tell him because they don't support it, and nobody else gave him an answer. I do have an fan controller I can use to run the extra fan, but I'll have to set its speed manually rather than letting the card control it as it does with the fan it came with.

I will be installing the titan x version tonight but i think its only 3 pin and i use 4 pin noctua fans. Im just gonna run em off the motherboard and probably set them to go up with the cpu temp since the cpu temp will be rising with the gpu temp when playing games anyway.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Don Lapre posted:

I will be installing the titan x version tonight but i think its only 3 pin and i use 4 pin noctua fans. Im just gonna run em off the motherboard and probably set them to go up with the cpu temp since the cpu temp will be rising with the gpu temp when playing games anyway.

I have the exact same stuff as you, down to 3 pin Noctuas. I went ahead and split off the lead coming from the Hybrid, fired up the system for a moment and both fans were spinning fine. Going to leave that and see how it does tonight since later I'll have to rip open the computer again anyway.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 5, 2015

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Well, the thing is that I ran my 2600k at stock for a while and when I OCed it, and it was as easy as bumping the clock up in bios and running a stress test to make sure the OC was stable, it doubled my frame rates in many of my games. So yeah it can be a huge bottleneck for something like a 970 of you leave it at stock speeds.

I know wrong thread and all but I want to add my 2 cents and encourage an overclock of that cpu if possible to improve game performance. CPU benchmarks rarely to nearly never show benchmarks of online games (while online) and that is always where the biggest improvements are, but in this case you'd likely see improvements offline as well. There was noticeable fps (and fewer frame drops) with even the Haswell architecture even though you'll hear otherwise quite often. GPU is king, but there are a lot of games that benefit from CPU clock speed. Some dont though.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

KakerMix posted:

I have the exact same stuff as you, down to 3 pin Noctuas. I went ahead and split off the lead coming from the Hybrid, fired up the system for a moment and both fans were spinning fine. Going to leave that and see how it does tonight since later I'll have to rip open the computer again anyway.

Can't you hook 4 pin fans to 3 pin headers?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

xthetenth posted:

AFAIK not without an adapter. I have these but I might just go back to manual control through my controller like I used to do. Because I have my Hybrid coolers installed but the included fans run at 100% all the time when connected to the lead coming from the kit's block on the GPU. I'm curious to see what your experience is with it Don Larpe as everything I can find talking about it says the fan is ~intelligently controlled~ which seems like that isn't true when used in the defualt configuration. I can always plug the rad fans into my fan controller and control it that way but I just don't know if I'm missing something, you know?

Temps are way down though I'm at 27c at idle. :getin:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

xthetenth posted:

You can try but YMMV, the PWM controller might freak out and misbehave if not fed a constant 12V. Noctuas are fairly tolerant since they include voltage dropping adapters in the package.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

The gigabyte nonreference is up for preorder on newegg now.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ID=6202798&SID=

The windforce is one of the most effective coolers, though it has not been one of the quietest in the past. Sounds like they've finally added a mode which stops the fans at low utilization though.

Also a hands on with the Asus nonreference. No numbers, just some fondling. Still, looks nice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxCAySMpFg8

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

KakerMix posted:

AFAIK not without an adapter. I have these but I might just go back to manual control through my controller like I used to do. Because I have my Hybrid coolers installed but the included fans run at 100% all the time when connected to the lead coming from the kit's block on the GPU. I'm curious to see what your experience is with it Don Larpe as everything I can find talking about it says the fan is ~intelligently controlled~ which seems like that isn't true when used in the defualt configuration. I can always plug the rad fans into my fan controller and control it that way but I just don't know if I'm missing something, you know?

Temps are way down though I'm at 27c at idle. :getin:

Man, mines working awesome. ~27-30c idle. Running 1430mhz right now @ 60c with my noctua fans around 800-1000rpm. Basically inaudible. I keep banging on the power limit though. Gonna flash a new bios.

I wrapped the fan cable around the block inside the shroud and im running my 2 noctua fans off one header that adjusts based on cpu temp.

orly
Oct 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
What's the lowdown on all the new AMD stuff that's being announced in a week or so? Is 20nm going to walk all over the Nvidia cards?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

orly posted:

What's the lowdown on all the new AMD stuff that's being announced in a week or so?
I mean, just read the last few pages.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

orly posted:

What's the lowdown on all the new AMD stuff that's being announced in a week or so? Is 20nm going to walk all over the Nvidia cards?

That is not mathematically impossible, but it's close.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

orly posted:

Take a 290x, rename it 390x. Thats the new amd stuff

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Don Lapre posted:

Take a 290x, rename it 390x. Thats the new amd stuff

Also, if rumors are correct, increase the MSRP! :v:

Except for the ultra-top-of-the-line HBM cards!

Which are rumored to be hotter, slower and more expensive than their Nvidia equivalents. :v::v::v:

So yeah, coming up all roses for AMD! :laffo::cripes::suicide:

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

What happened to AMD? Did they just go all in on HBM and smaller production nodes being ready for these cards and had to backpedal on specs and release date just to get something out the door?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
:lol: I love it when new tech is in the air.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Blorange posted:

What happened to AMD? Did they just go all in on HBM and smaller production nodes being ready for these cards and had to backpedal on specs and release date just to get something out the door?

We don't really know the whys and hows at this point and it's all just rumors but the silence from AMD is not exactly reassuring. I think Nvidia just has the lead on them techwise and they are doing what they can but it's not enough, which sucks because while I find this all sort of morbidly funny a video card industry dominated by one player will just lead to higher prices and tech stagnation eventually. :sigh:

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ currently in stock. Just snagged one! :woop:

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
Are you talking about the rumor that Fiji was slower than the 980Ti? That rumor didn't even last 24 hours.

http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-r9-fury-fiji-xt-gpu-slower-gtx-980-ti/

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Also, if rumors are correct, increase the MSRP! :v:

Except for the ultra-top-of-the-line HBM cards!

Which are rumored to be hotter, slower and more expensive than their Nvidia equivalents. :v::v::v:

So yeah, coming up all roses for AMD! :laffo::cripes::suicide:

That's the worst case predictions. I'm praying that their claims that Fiji wouldn't use more power than a 290X (which isn't much more than a new titan, it's power/performance they do badly at) and the likely number of cores from a double Tonga make it a good competitor and the 200 series gets a respin like NV's one from 400 to 500 series. But maybe that's dogged optimism and a refusal to believe they wouldn't raise prices without raising value.

Not sure how likely a respin is but I think a strong showing from Fiji is likely. The last time AMD went to new memory tech before NV, those cards were beasts, and just the sheer increase in die size makes it very likely it's going to be a huge performer.

But basically AMD seems to have been betting on 20nm, and that didn't happen. So now they have a new high end card and old cards that aged like champions. 290x started worse than 780ti and has pulled a bit ahead, and the 7970 GHz that became the 280X makes the 680 look like a joke these days. But they're competing against up to date cards, and GPUs get old very fast.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jun 6, 2015

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Perhaps they dug themselves into a little corner by cutting prices so steep on the 200 stuff..

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
The Hybrid cooled TitanXs and 980tis are bitchin', I can't seem to push mine north of 40c under load.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
What kind of % overclock can those hybrid 980ti's get? Do they get voltage control?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Is Radeon R9 290x the best value card right now?

I want to be able to play most games on high but not max settings for the next 2-3 years.

Should I wait until the end of the month for Radeon's new release to see if prices drop?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Best price/perf is 970 right now.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Perhaps they dug themselves into a little corner by cutting prices so steep on the 200 stuff..

As far as I know, they made two huge mistakes. The first is their mobile lineup. What mobile lineup you ask? Exactly. The second is they launched the 290 at a reasonable price, the buttcoin craze hit them and they sold like hotcakes at a higher price. They didn't seem to notice it was a bubble, and so they ramped up production in a huge way and have been stuck selling those cards till pretty much now.

Howard Phillips posted:

Is Radeon R9 290x the best value card right now?

I want to be able to play most games on high but not max settings for the next 2-3 years.

Should I wait until the end of the month for Radeon's new release to see if prices drop?

If you're comfortable dropping some settings and are looking at that price range, it's a very solid card and other than power draw very competitive with the 970 in performance, but right now it's looking like the 290 may be an even better value.
Here's a comparison between the 290X running uber so it doesn't throttle (aftermarket cooled ones run at that performance level but cooler and quieter) and a 970: http://anandtech.com/bench/product/1059?vs=1355
Here's a French site that actually tests with aftermarket coolers' summary page, showing where a 290X Tri-X OC fits up against a Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming as well as the stock parts: http://www.hardware.fr/articles/928-20/recapitulatif-performances.html
The frequencies the cards hit during their tests in various games are in this table, and it looks like the Tri-X OC was at a steady 1000 MHz: http://www.hardware.fr/articles/928-9/protocole-test.html

Results will change if you go for a big OC.

On Newegg right now, there's a Sapphire Tri-X OC 290 for $270 before $20 rebate, a Gigabyte 290X with a 1000 MHz core clock same as the Tri-X for $295 with a $20 rebate card, and an EVGA superclocked 970 that's pretty close to the G1 Gaming for $324 with a $15 rebate. Unless you're going to OC or are really worried about power consumption and can't replace a few incandescent light bulbs with LEDs, I'd say the 290/290X is the better pick for value, with the 290 probably winning if you don't really need that last few frames. If you're comfortable lowering a setting or two that might be your best bet.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 6, 2015

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

xthetenth posted:

On Newegg right now, there's a Sapphire Tri-X OC 290 for $270 before $20 rebate, a Gigabyte 290X with a 1000 MHz core clock same as the Tri-X for $295 with a $20 rebate card, and an EVGA superclocked 970 that's pretty close to the G1 Gaming for $324 with a $15 rebate. Unless you're going to OC or are really worried about power consumption and can't replace a few incandescent light bulbs with LEDs, I'd say the 290/290X is the better pick for value, with the 290 probably winning if you don't really need that last few frames. If you're comfortable lowering a setting or two that might be your best bet.

Thanks for great help. I think I'm gonna go with the EVGA 970.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 6, 2015

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I feel like it was just yesterday when I was arguing and generally failing to make the case the for some users could make use of a 780/290 for 1080p. Seeing all this 980ti love warms my heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Howard Phillips posted:

Thanks for great help. I think I'm gonna go with the EVGA 970.

Cool, glad to help. 970's a drat good card, my G1's been pushing 1440p like a champ on top settings, so 3 years should be easily doable if you don't mind turning a few settings down in future AAA games.

Isn't two months within the timeframe for step-up?

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I feel like it was just yesterday when I was arguing and generally failing to make the case the for some users could make use of a 780/290 for 1080p. Seeing all this 980ti love warms my heart

DSR/VSR helps the case so you can forcefeed games pixels if you want more to do, but games keep marching on as well. Personally I tend to think going with midrange cards/old flagships you think will age gracefully and replacing them more often is probably the better course unless you're going to be buying every other generation anyway. It used to be the GTX x60 and AMD equivalent, but they've moved that type of chip up to the x70 now.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 6, 2015