Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

tooterfish posted:

I like that it looks like a White Walker is marching a disobedient wight around at sword point.

All I see when I look at that dude is a gigantic wrench in his hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

90% of the world building stuff was written by two people who aren't him.

Really? Could I get a little more about this, I'd look it up myself but I'm loathe to google anything tangentally related to GoT until we clear spoilerville entirelt.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Parkingtigers posted:

Really? Could I get a little more about this, I'd look it up myself but I'm loathe to google anything tangentally related to GoT until we clear spoilerville entirelt.

90% is a bit much, however two people did write up the huge rear end lore book called A World of Ice and Fire. All of it is GRRM's work given to them to write up so they didn't create almost any of it, only small dumb stuff like naming lords after sesame street characters.

You can safely read the book by the way, it contains nothing past Joff's death.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Yeah its the two people (husband and wife?) who run the Wiki of Ice and Fire. They absolutely despise the show.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah its the two people (husband and wife?) who run the Wiki of Ice and Fire. They absolutely despise the show.

I do wonder how common that trend is. I have yet to run into anyone, personally, that has read the books and doesn't love the show. I imagine there's a fair bit lost from one medium to the next, but I've heard that the show handled the content from the most recent books better than the books did in the first place.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Bobo the Red posted:

It's possible their magic fades in the warmth, hence their general tendency to wait for the depths of Winter. Everyone should just pile into Dorne

Isn't there meant to be some uncertainty as to whether they come with the cold, or whether they bring the cold?

I vaguely recall Martin saying something yonks ago in an interview about how the planet's weird, inconsistent seasons would have a magical explanation that was important to the plot. I've always sort of thought that maybe the big winters aren't just an opportunity seized by the white walkers - that maybe they're specifically caused by them, so they can push south on a war footing.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I mean what do what do White Walkers even need to be doing all this for? They seem like dicks.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Chili posted:

I do wonder how common that trend is. I have yet to run into anyone, personally, that has read the books and doesn't love the show. I imagine there's a fair bit lost from one medium to the next, but I've heard that the show handled the content from the most recent books better than the books did in the first place.

Most book readers I know prefer the show cos of how much shite has been cut out. And I wouldn't imagine the people who run and write a wiki are too concerned with narrative drive and focus: "Give me more descriptions of food and long discussions about lineage! Give me more meaningless plotlines and meanderings! Give me it all!"

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The show cuts a lot of meandering bullshit out, but that also costs it the perspective you get on how the common people live and things like that, making it a more standard fantasy story about heroes and princesses. Makes sense to focus on faces people can recognize in a TV show, of course. In general, each version is properly built for its own medium.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
These are the sorts of people that have sat through the Lord of the Rings extended edition several times and still get mad the lack of Tom Bombadil

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Surprisingly, these same people made the best defense and explanation I've seen for the Sansa rape scene. Watching their video kind of turned me around on it. Before watching it, I hated it. After, I understood it and no longer see it as bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcnwhMrVJjg&t=61s for the curious. I didn't see any spoilers.

They also liked that episode when everyone hated it.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 5, 2015

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
The World of Ice and Fire book is pretty cool and good, better than most/all non-lotr fantasy background. Even if those wiki people are terrible.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Spergs gon' sperg... e: yea, that chick got crazy eyes

It takes an irrational bias, either against fantasy material in general... or because the show isn't exactly the books... to not like this show.

Then again, if they finally made a WoT show I'd be pretty disappointed if it diverged significantly; for reasons not directly related to length, at least. I think I'd still be able to enjoy it thoroughly if it was this good.

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 5, 2015

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

hiddenmovement posted:

These are the sorts of people that have sat through the Lord of the Rings extended edition several times and still get mad the lack of Tom Bombadil

There are always going to be book readers who dislike changes an adaptation makes... doesn't matter if it's Game of Thrones, Lord of the Rings or even Jurassic Park. They're a vocal minority... very much in the minority, but also very vocal about it because when nobody listens to you, sometimes your only response is to talk even louder.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Yeah, as far as I can tell, the differences between the show and the books aren't exactly... Say, Jodorowski's Dune plans completely re-writing its ending in a spectacularly insane way.

E: having not read the books, hence my earlier wot reference

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I think the only motivation anyone has in this show is to make people keep watching it. I mean Roose goes through all this bullshit just to end up in Winterfeld with Fat Wanda and nuts as poo poo Ramsey. I mean wtf seems like a lot of effort for a poo poo life no one would want. Take your Wanda silver and move to Bravos.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

I can totally picture Ramsay Bolton and Cersei, in character, thinking "How can I subvert the viewers expectations" in a fourth-wall shattering moment. You make a good point.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Elephanthead posted:

I think the only motivation anyone has in this show is to make people keep watching it. I mean Roose goes through all this bullshit just to end up in Winterfeld with Fat Wanda and nuts as poo poo Ramsey. I mean wtf seems like a lot of effort for a poo poo life no one would want. Take your Wanda silver and move to Bravos.

Boltons always played second fiddle to the Starks. Now they are ruling over the Starks capitol. Roose gets off on this poo poo. As lovely a castle as Winterfell is, I'd imagine it beats the Dreadfort.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Surprisingly, these same people made the best defense and explanation I've seen for the Sansa rape scene. Watching their video kind of turned me around on it. Before watching it, I hated it. After, I understood it and no longer see it as bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcnwhMrVJjg&t=61s for the curious. I didn't see any spoilers.

They also liked that episode when everyone hated it.

Do you remember around when in the 80 minutes it is? I'm curious but I'm not sure I'm 80 minutes of these people curious

edit: found this smaller one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAbwcH1oags

Their first complaint bothers me: that they had to jump through all kinds hoops to get Sansa to Winterfell. It's literally her godamn ancestral house that she is the presumptive heir to, it makes all kinds of sense to take her there.

Their arguments about the assorted criticisms are solid though (I already agreed with them so it's hard to gauge)

Super Ninja Fish posted:

The link was supposed to take you to the 61 minute mark. I used #t=61s. It works for me when I click on it. Did it not work for you?

Apparently not. I've had issues with it before.

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 5, 2015

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Bobo the Red posted:

Do you remember around when in the 80 minutes it is? I'm curious but I'm not sure I'm 80 minutes of these people curious

The link was supposed to take you to the 61 minute mark. I used #t=61s. It works for me when I click on it. Did it not work for you?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Guess what the "s" in "#t=61s" stands for. I'll give you a hint: it's not "minutes."

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Sir Kodiak posted:

Guess what the "s" in "#t=61s" stands for. I'll give you a hint: it's not "minutes."

I swear I typed in 61m into the url. It's being converted to 61s for me.

It did it again. Here it is. Take out the period.
h.ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcnwhMrVJjg#t=61m

Bobo the Red posted:

edit: found this smaller one.

You see, I don't like that video as much. That's mostly responding to very weak arguments. On the link above, they talk about it and explain it on it's own merits.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 5, 2015

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Super Ninja Fish posted:

To link a youtube video at a certain time you can right click on it while you have it paused and select "get url at current time".

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Elephanthead posted:

Rewatching seasons 2 and 3 right now, and I think part of it is Roose just strongly dislikes Robb.

Ironically Robb's insistence on appearing tough and uncompromising is what lost him his best bannermen. He only knows how to lead by intimidation, like when Grey Wind attacked the Greatjon.

Think of the scene where Robb chews out a grieving Edmure for winning a battle. Edmure's whole job was to protect his lands from enemies. His number one duty as Lord of Riverrun in that moment was to get the Mountain off his people's farms, out of their villages. Of course he's not going to sit in the castle unless Robb, you know, loving tells him the plan? Robb sees nothing wrong with his commands and insults and humiliates Edmure without an ounce of understanding or even a "hey, nice battle though, good to have you with us." He's way too focused on looking like a hardass barbarian when in reality most of his men aren't the Greatjon, at least not when their blood isn't up. They want a reasonable leader.

That leadership style probably pissed Roose off in a big way.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Elephanthead posted:

Why would Roose want to move to Bravos? Too warm, too bright, too crowded, too home to a guild of assassins who would ironically not appreciate him taking people's faces. Plus you know, a man has to have something to occupy his time with, Roose is far too young to retire on a sunny beach.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

vintagepurple posted:

Rewatching seasons 2 and 3 right now, and I think part of it is Roose just strongly dislikes Robb.

Ironically Robb's insistence on appearing tough and uncompromising is what lost him his best bannermen. He only knows how to lead by intimidation, like when Grey Wind attacked the Greatjon.

Think of the scene where Robb chews out a grieving Edmure for winning a battle. Edmure's whole job was to protect his lands from enemies. His number one duty as Lord of Riverrun in that moment was to get the Mountain off his people's farms, out of their villages. Of course he's not going to sit in the castle unless Robb, you know, loving tells him the plan? Robb sees nothing wrong with his commands and insults and humiliates Edmure without an ounce of understanding or even a "hey, nice battle though, good to have you with us." He's way too focused on looking like a hardass barbarian when in reality most of his men aren't the Greatjon, at least not when their blood isn't up. They want a reasonable leader.

That leadership style probably pissed Roose off in a big way.

The Histories and Lore kinda makes it seem like the Boltons have always resented playing second fiddle to the Starks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFZ2AeMRt_Q

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Bobo the Red posted:

The Histories and Lore kinda makes it seem like the Boltons have always resented playing second fiddle to the Starks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFZ2AeMRt_Q

That's what the Starks get for not making sure the Boltons had the Content trait.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah the Boltons basically seem like they've been simmering away for generations, probably having big speeches at dinner at the Dreadfort about the hated Starks and such but life was comfortable enough that they probably would never have moved directly against them until Robb pissed off multiple allies and the Tywin/Frey/Bolton alliance option presented itself.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The Boltons always struck me as the North's version of "the South shall rise again" types only with Robb alienating all his allies and the Boltons being one of the strongest houses they actually had the chance to do something about it.

Can't remember if this might be book info, but

isn't the flayed man on the Bolton banner specifically supposed to be a flayed Stark?

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Roose isn't someone who has many emotions or feelings, he simply doesn't give any shits. The only reason he betrayed Robb was because he knew Robb was going to lose, he would have stayed loyal if he thought Robb would win. I don't think Roose is capable of liking or disliking people.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah the Boltons basically seem like they've been simmering away for generations, probably having big speeches at dinner at the Dreadfort about the hated Starks and such but life was comfortable enough that they probably would never have moved directly against them until Robb pissed off multiple allies and the Tywin/Frey/Bolton alliance option presented itself.

I still can't get beyond the name Dreadfort. The Boltons live in the goddamn Dreadfort. It's like a fort, filled with dread. Where there are banners of a hanging dead guy whose skin was peeled off, who's literally their mascot. When did anyone think these guys were on the level?

I can't wait for Winds of Winter, where the Boltons are defeated by House Corpserape. House sigil of a bleeding corpse getting raped. Their words: "we will kill you and rape you." The Tyrells will ally with them and it'll seem like a great idea.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Xealot posted:

I still can't get beyond the name Dreadfort. The Boltons live in the goddamn Dreadfort. It's like a fort, filled with dread. Where there are banners of a hanging dead guy whose skin was peeled off, who's literally their mascot. When did anyone think these guys were on the level?

I can't wait for Winds of Winter, where the Boltons are defeated by House Corpserape. House sigil of a bleeding corpse getting raped. Their words: "we will kill you and rape you." The Tyrells will ally with them and it'll seem like a great idea.

"Who could have guessed Hitlorstalen Corpserape, Lord of Rapekill Mountain would have betrayed us at our most vulnerable?"

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I think Littlefinger could pull it off, calling himself I will fing murder you the first chance I get and still getting allies.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Xealot posted:

What's funny is that isn't even the original Dreadfort. The original Dreadfort is currently living in luxury off in the Summer Isles, somewhere. According to the GoT Wiki, this is the 5th Dreadfort to use that name. When one Dreadfort is ready to retire, it just takes on all new retainers and the previous one calls the new one "Dreadfort" a few times, and everyone is fooled.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Xealot posted:

This is a little more muted in the books, where dozens of minor houses have over the top grim sigils, and heavy metal castle names. There's a house in Dorne that live in Hellholt, and another that has a vulture clutching a baby in its talons as their sigil.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Robb's other vassals were all loud, belligerent vikings constantly threatening to pack up and go home. Roose seemed like the best lieutenant by far. The Boltons seem to be the only house that really challenged the Starks for dominance so I imagine once they bent the knee they became important seconds-in-command by virtue of tactical acumen and prestige.

Getting into Roose's head would be awesome, he's really difficult to figure out. Clearly he's ok with some hosed-up poo poo but beyond the freaky hanging-rape we don't know how he compares to Ramsay.

He seemed to enjoy Catelyn's finding that chainmail and subsequently stabbing Robb.

Also, compared to the "Dreadfort" and the flayed man the Bolton words are pretty lame. "Our knives are sharp."

Maarak posted:

This is a little more muted in the books, where dozens of minor houses have over the top grim sigils, and heavy metal castle names. There's a house in Dorne that live in Hellholt, and another that has a vulture clutching a baby in its talons as their sigil.

There is also House Beesbury of Honeyholt, whose device is black and yellow stripes and whose words are "Beware Our Sting."

vintagepurple fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 5, 2015

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

That reminds me that House Tyrell's words are "Growing Strong", which sounds like something you'd find in a rural elementary school's 4H quilting project

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I have this pet theory wherein, after throwing Sansa onto their marriage bed, Ramsay stops. We zoom in on his face and he quietly says to himself, "Holy poo poo. I have done some hosed up poo poo to people." Everything comes rushing in and he asks Sansa to just chill out, he's going to go take a walk.

The next morning, at breakfast with Roose he shows up with a posterboard and a bunch of fresh ideas to rebrand the Boltons. "Okay, so, we live in a place called The Dreadfort. It, it just isn't very appealing. And the whole flaying thing? It's not really good governance, y'know. So I'm thinking, let's start with the house words. I've got a few ideas. Number 1: House Bolton: Business in the front, party in the back. No? Okay, not my best. How about, House Bolton: Let's solve problems, together!"

Queue title sequence Game of Reasonableness

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Then he asks Reek for some ideas and just gets a thousand-yard stare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That reminds me that House Tyrell's words are "Growing Strong", which sounds like something you'd find in a rural elementary school's 4H quilting project

When Lady Tyrell mocks her own house's motto compared to others is a pretty good moment.

• Locked thread