Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

Are we watching the same show? Because pretty much every episode has fuckloads of fanservice.

Goons being in denial is nothing new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Yes but it's not pure fanservice now is it. :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Boss

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Kyte posted:

Yes but it's not pure fanservice now is it. :v:

The scene where Bell twisted his knife in the minotaur's wrist was the greatest bit of fanservice for me. The rest of the fight was pure hype train.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Plus https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1qQT3-A8Cc is downright transcendent.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Darth Walrus posted:

Man, it's kind of amazing how much eye-watering brutality this show inflicts on its monsters, given its general tone.
They're lesser life forms, it's fine.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

chumbler posted:

Goons being in denial is nothing new.

Yeah, denial is definitely liking certain parts of a show while acknowledging that there are other parts that are bad or just not your cup of tea. :jerkbag:

Peter Bazooka
Sep 29, 2005

This isn’t really anything I think I like.
Fanservice rules. Sorry nerds.

Dr. Snuggles
Dec 3, 2012

Tbh some of us (Pick) use this website more than others and I feel that I am unfairly subsidizing picks posting. Unless some kind of fee by post usage is enabled were basically instituting a forced welfare state of posting.
I like this anime, even if I am a dumb retard.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man, I knew they were playing up the video gamey-ness of this fantasy world, but this episode was giving me serious flashbacks to the aggro trains to the zone border in Everquest dungeons.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

This is why you invest in Area clear spells. Or better yet get a few charges in Yearn. That way you don't end up so deep in a dungeon the RNG starts lusting for your blood like a hungry hound.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Bakanogami posted:

Man, I knew they were playing up the video gamey-ness of this fantasy world, but this episode was giving me serious flashbacks to the aggro trains to the zone border in Everquest dungeons.

You too!? :stare:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
It's a shame that Bell's Party and kinda-sorta the Loki Familia are the only non-rear end in a top hat adventurers. The party that screwed Bell over could have just as easily turned and fought with them, then retreated together afterward. It seems like it'd be at least 3 level 2's and other people who were at least competent enough to be going to the middle floors, so no problem right? Nah, lets just gently caress over other people and feel bad about it later. I mean, since death is such a real possibility I can see why they didn't chance it, psychologically, but c'mon. Bell's the ultimate nice guy, so it'll never happen, but I'd love to see him turn down saving a party that screwed him in the past after he's skyrocketed to level 5 and they're still at 2 or 3. Maybe he'd at least make them beg for his help?

Also, I love that Bell permanently hates Minotaurs, it's like he's got a hidden passive skill that makes him always own them now. Even before he triggered Argonaut he was going to town on that first one right out the gate.

Oh, and can the gods do anything in a dungeon, or are they basically powerless walking targets? I feel like it's the latter, since they give up a bunch of power to be among mortals and they're making a big deal about recruiting people just to protect them, and Hestia was powerless against that escaped monster. I think it makes Hestia and Hermes pretty drat irresponsible to make the quest harder just because they want to go along for the ride.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
It's pretty surprising how the last 2 or 3 episodes have made such a 180 on the harem theme. Killing the super-powered minotaur, meeting Welf, and getting hosed over in the middle floors has all been pretty much just the action and character progression.

What I'm trying to say is, where the gently caress is my beach episode?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Crusher posted:

It's pretty surprising how the last 2 or 3 episodes have made such a 180 on the harem theme. Killing the super-powered minotaur, meeting Welf, and getting hosed over in the middle floors has all been pretty much just the action and character progression.

I'm placing 90% odds on the safe floor being a hot spring.

NowonSA posted:

It's a shame that Bell's Party and kinda-sorta the Loki Familia are the only non-rear end in a top hat adventurers. The party that screwed Bell over could have just as easily turned and fought with them, then retreated together afterward. It seems like it'd be at least 3 level 2's and other people who were at least competent enough to be going to the middle floors, so no problem right? Nah, lets just gently caress over other people and feel bad about it later. I mean, since death is such a real possibility I can see why they didn't chance it, psychologically, but c'mon. Bell's the ultimate nice guy, so it'll never happen, but I'd love to see him turn down saving a party that screwed him in the past after he's skyrocketed to level 5 and they're still at 2 or 3. Maybe he'd at least make them beg for his help?

Also, I love that Bell permanently hates Minotaurs, it's like he's got a hidden passive skill that makes him always own them now. Even before he triggered Argonaut he was going to town on that first one right out the gate.

Oh, and can the gods do anything in a dungeon, or are they basically powerless walking targets? I feel like it's the latter, since they give up a bunch of power to be among mortals and they're making a big deal about recruiting people just to protect them, and Hestia was powerless against that escaped monster. I think it makes Hestia and Hermes pretty drat irresponsible to make the quest harder just because they want to go along for the ride.

I would assume that the gods can contribute in some way, even if it's just faster access to neat superpowers for the front-line fighters. Hestia may be a bit of a ditz, but she's had a pretty good track record so far of knowing what course of action will best help Bell.

As for the other party, they had one effective fighter plus a half-dozen wounded, supporters, and/or wounded supporters. Lilli seems unique in how much rear end she can kick given her job description, and she's still not an amazing fighter. Standing with Bell's party would have accomplished nothing except for pushing those vulnerable people further into harm's way.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

NowonSA posted:

It's a shame that Bell's Party and kinda-sorta the Loki Familia are the only non-rear end in a top hat adventurers. The party that screwed Bell over could have just as easily turned and fought with them, then retreated together afterward. It seems like it'd be at least 3 level 2's and other people who were at least competent enough to be going to the middle floors, so no problem right? Nah, lets just gently caress over other people and feel bad about it later.

The girl they were carrying was practically dying, so they were in a bit of a hurry, and they were being chased by infinite monsters, so there was no real chance of fighting them. Remember that the Dungeon keeps spawning new monsters forever, and the spawn interval shrinks the deeper you go. Bell's party only survived because they fell through to a lower floor.

Gods can't do anything, because part of the deal is that they've given up all divine powers to have fun down below, so if they do anything deemed against the Rules, they get beamed back to heaven, and it's game over. So yeah, they're a liability.

The Crusher posted:

Should be next episode. :unsmith:

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Did the episode with Hestia and the other goddesses in a bath house count as the hot spring episode?

I mean it shouldn't, but did it?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah, the only practical ability of a god or goddess in a dungeon seems like the portable stat increases, and even that takes some time. It's like the same level of benefit as a portable vendor in there with you to sell your loot, but with the liability that you need to protect its helpless butt 24/7 or you're screwed.

I didn't make the connection of the Parade Party having lots of supporters, that makes a bit more sense. Still, sword girl seemed to be doing quite well, and they had time to chill at the mouth of the tunnel and discuss their plan. I know talking is a free action, but they could have spent that free action yelling to Bell and Co to run away with them. Throw a stink bag or smoke bomb in their midst as you're going past to give them some cover, I mean honestly it's like these guys don't play D&D at all and bring no equipment with them into the dungeon.

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Did the episode with Hestia and the other goddesses in a bath house count as the hot spring episode?

I mean it shouldn't, but did it?

When did that happen? I've missed like one or two episodes in the middle, I guess it must've been one of those, because I don't remember anything remotely like this. Put me down for the safe floor being a hot spring though, I want Bell and company to all literally limp their way to healing springs, bonus points if they fall unconscious into the water. Goliath is totally going to have respawned though, they're going to need some proper rescuing. Not a bad arc to end the first season on, certainly.

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom
Only 3 more episodes left for this season :(
Are the light novels worth reading?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

mpyro posted:

Only 3 more episodes left for this season :(
Are the light novels worth reading?

Yeah, they're great. Only 2 published in English so far, though, while the anime will cover up to vol 5. Vol 8 comes out in a week in Japan.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

I feel like this is a safe bet.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

The hot springs contain a Champion version of a monster that only attacks if you disturb it's hot springs maintainence job. Many an adventurer too eager for a fight have bloodied the pools, more work for the beast.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

NowonSA posted:

I didn't make the connection of the Parade Party having lots of supporters, that makes a bit more sense. Still, sword girl seemed to be doing quite well, and they had time to chill at the mouth of the tunnel and discuss their plan. I know talking is a free action, but they could have spent that free action yelling to Bell and Co to run away with them. Throw a stink bag or smoke bomb in their midst as you're going past to give them some cover, I mean honestly it's like these guys don't play D&D at all and bring no equipment with them into the dungeon.

They did what they did specifically to get the train to lose aggro and have Bell's party gain it instead.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

.Clash posted:

I feel like this is a safe bet.
A very safe bet since the next episode preview showed the title "Under Resort - Labyrinth Utopia."

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

grrarg posted:

A very safe bet since the next episode preview showed the title "Under Resort - Labyrinth Utopia."

There's a 10% chance it's a beach instead. This dungeon's geography is goddamn weird.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

There's a 10% chance it's a beach instead. This dungeon's geography is goddamn weird.

It's like you haven't played a dungeon crawler before. Geography that couldn't be there like a sunny forest right above the literal gates of hell is par for the course.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Darth Walrus posted:

Pretty sure it's like a roguelike where it's constantly shifting save for a few fixed points.

In fact the entire system is very roguelike.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Kyte posted:

If this were the case, every post-credits scene would be the party drink-IDing potions and reading random scrolls and books to see what they do.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

AfroSquirrel posted:

If this were the case, every post-credits scene would be the party drink-IDing potions and reading random scrolls and books to see what they do.

If it is anything like my experience playing pixel dungeon, random characters will burst into flames iding potions. :downs:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I sat down to watch this over the weekend and ended up marathoning it and I don't even know why. I can't even point out a specific thing that I really liked about it, a character who I thought was really really good, or anything I thought it did excessively well. It was just fun to watch.

AfroSquirrel posted:

This is almost literally what Bell did with the firebolt grimoire.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

I sat down to watch this over the weekend and ended up marathoning it and I don't even know why. I can't even point out a specific thing that I really liked about it, a character who I thought was really really good, or anything I thought it did excessively well. It was just fun to watch.

This is almost literally what Bell did with the firebolt grimoire.

Its earnestness is pretty charming, and it's at least more willing to poke fun at its protagonist than its closest rival, SAO (and it's not even half as skeevy, even with its metric tonne of T&A - the other show went to some bad, bad places).

The solid production values are nice, too.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of loot, though. Just those crystals, since in the anime all the monsters go poof when they die.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

^^^ e: The Minotaur's Horn was a special drop. He also got a special drop in an early episode which he sold and ended up eating a lot of it away at the tavern.

I missed this:

NowonSA posted:

When did that happen? I've missed like one or two episodes in the middle, I guess it must've been one of those, because I don't remember anything remotely like this.

It was the episode where Hestia was in a bathhouse getting ready for a date with Bell. I could have sworn it was mentioned the only people allowed were gods or at least VIP. Afterwards a bunch of goddesses(?) were surrounding Hestia asking about Bell, then followed her on the date to see how ~moe~ Bell really was.

Alpha Kenny Juan fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 8, 2015

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Its earnestness is pretty charming, and it's at least more willing to poke fun at its protagonist than its closest rival, SAO (and it's not even half as skeevy, even with its metric tonne of T&A - the other show went to some bad, bad places).

The solid production values are nice, too.

Speaking of earnestness, I like how Lili berated Bell after he saved her "because she's a girl" - considering the strongest characters in the anime are all women. That's kinda self aware, for an anime, right?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Jordbo posted:

Speaking of earnestness, I like how Lili berated Bell after he saved her "because she's a girl" - considering the strongest characters in the anime are all women. That's kinda self aware, for an anime, right?

It's not often that milquetoast protagonists actually get called out on that line. I certainly appreciated it.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

HellCopter posted:

It's not often that milquetoast protagonists actually get called out on that line. I certainly appreciated it.
UBW being in the same season probably dulled me to that being a thing.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

HellCopter posted:

I just like that it's played off as if that's not what he's actually thinking ether that it's better to give her the stock answer than the real one.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Kyte posted:

Pretty sure it's like a roguelike where it's constantly shifting save for a few fixed points.

So its basically a Tartarus from Persona 3. With onsen floors.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Kanos posted:

Every one of my posts in this thread has been making GBS threads on this show, and yet I'm still here, still kinda enjoying myself, and loving the minotaur bits as much as everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I enjoy minotaur death and the occasional boob.

edit: Seriously the last episode was alright. It's good to see Bell actually in danger for once. I just hope he learns his lesson and increases his party size when they manage to escape.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jun 10, 2015

• Locked thread