Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

it'd be funnier if all might was midoriya's one nomination and skelmight is just playing dumb
Everyone on staff seems to be up on All Might's secret, so probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

That codename might be the very first thing I don't like about Tsuyu.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Bakugou is consistently the funniest part of every chapter, it's great.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Mary Annette posted:

That codename might be the very first thing I don't like about Tsuyu.

Should have been Frogger. Or Frogirl.

I like that one of them is just straight up Invisible Girl - barring deliberate mis-translation I suppose.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

tsob posted:

Is there anyone else it could actually be? It has to be a big time pro hero and Endeavour and All Might are really the only two big names we have. Aikawa, Midnight, Black Mist, Cementoss and others have popped up - but none of them have been shown to be big enough to deserve that reputation. It could be someone new, but I'd doubt it given the reaction.

If we're just talking about being big enough, then perhaps it's Mt. Lady? I can't think of anyone bigger.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Bakugou remains the best character. Baron of Explodo-kills is the hero we all deserve.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
My main suspicion would be on Endeavour as the surprise nomination, due to rule of drama and all, but I actually wonder if it might be used as a chance to intro a new character. Ie, some old hero who had originally gone into retirement at this point, or one who's well known for not liking 'sidekicks' in any form, making their interest all the more shocking.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I don't know if it's from the original or the translation, but Mineta's "The hero who gives a pluck" is inspired.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

He's thirsty for justice.

But also the other kind of thirsty.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder what the official translations for the hero names will be.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Looks like they're gonna use the code names from the character concept art pictures after all. Well, at least Uravity and Grape Juice. I forget the other names. I think Bakugo's was some word in Japanese that I didn't recognize.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Astro Nut posted:

My main suspicion would be on Endeavour as the surprise nomination, due to rule of drama and all, but I actually wonder if it might be used as a chance to intro a new character. Ie, some old hero who had originally gone into retirement at this point, or one who's well known for not liking 'sidekicks' in any form, making their interest all the more shocking.

These are the most likely possibilities I think.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I liked "Infinity Girl" for Uraraka :(

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Deku's nomination is from up and coming hero Here O. Killer

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Man, almost all those names were terrible. Creatie and Froppi in particular.

I wonder what the Sugar Man guy's quirk is (something taste-related it said?) and how in the world he got into Yuuei with it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Poor Iida. I'm sure he'll be able to take his brother's name once he gets some confidence but still, poor guy. His role model was taken out of the game at this time.

Also Baron of Explodo-Kills should totally stay as Bakugou's name, there's no way to surpass that. And Todoroki needs to get a name, Shouto is just lame.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.
It's the retired hero who All Might inherited One-for-All from. Probably

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Man, almost all those names were terrible. Creatie and Froppi in particular.

I wonder what the Sugar Man guy's quirk is (something taste-related it said?) and how in the world he got into Yuuei with it.

Based on Yaoyorozu's speech bubble I think the scan group misspelled "Creative" on the board.

edit: There's also some raws of the volume 4 bonus material up: (1) (2)

I love Kohei's character art so much :allears: Unnamed side-ponytail girl's sketch outfit is baller.

kidcoelacanth fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 5, 2015

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
What a good chapter.

It's great that Iida has a definite arc laid out for him, because it seemed like he was destined to play third fiddle to Bakugou and Todoroki. Thankfully he seems to be heading for his own developments that don't necessarily involve those two and Midoriya, though I'm sure they will to some degree.

Tsyu and Uraraka's choices may not be the coolest sounding names in English but I will fight anybody who thinks "Froppy" is bad.

I didn't actually see "Deku" coming until he started talking about it but in hindsight I suppose that's the only thing it was ever going to be.

And of course Bakugou owns.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bakugou's leer when Midoriya claimed Deku.

Wow that kid is 99% grudge.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
gently caress you guys Froppy is hilarious.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

UchihaHirou posted:

It's the retired hero who All Might inherited One-for-All from. Probably

That was my first thought as well. It makes sense, since Deku needs get stronger without relying on his quirk. Who better to teach him that than someone who once had his power but gave it away (perhaps because he was no longer in his prime), but still remained an active hero. You'd have to be pretty well-trained to do that, although unlike All Might he might be able to fall back on a quirk.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

That last page of All Might is goddamn gorgeous.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Froppy disk

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Yo that nomination is gonna be a yet unannounced hero who has no gimmick and is yoked as gently caress, like its just gonna be Ronnie Coleman and he is gonna kick off the next training segment. Giant black Deku incoming.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Those Bakugou names are great, idk what Midnight's problem is

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Yo that nomination is gonna be a yet unannounced hero who has no gimmick and is yoked as gently caress, like its just gonna be Ronnie Coleman and he is gonna kick off the next training segment. Giant black Deku incoming.

It's gonna be John Cena.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

We've already got two invisible characters, so probably not.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Am i the only one who thinks it could be Crimson Riot, the guy who Red Riot took his name from. Seeing as he was brought up for the first time this chapter (unless I am forgetting him from earlier in the series?), I guess he could also be the guy who gave All Might his power.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Most of the names are super Japanese stuff.

It's more amusing since the names they'd pick are super obvious if they were English speakers.

"Bombshell" or "Shellshock" or something would work pretty well for Bakugou but I don't think there's anything catchy/punny/amusing that fits that in Japanese.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Baron Explodakill works pretty well for Bakugou.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Alien Queen/Pinky :kimchi:
Creatie :kimchi: :kimchi:
Uravity :kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi:
Froppy :kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi:

jackymc
Mar 30, 2010
Could someone explain to me the meaning of "Deku" and how it's an appropriate hero name for Midoriya?

I couldn't remember what it meant so I decided to read series' wiki and it says this:

quote:

Izuku's nickname, "Deku", was given to him by Katsuki when they were little. "Deku" is another reading of his name 出久, and Bakugou uses it to mock Izuku, as "Deku" can mean "the one who can't achieve/do anything". Later, Ochako finds the nickname very inspiring because "Deku" gives off a feeling of "I can do it".

So would an english synonym for "Deku" essentially be the word "loser"? Would I be correct in assuming that he's basically deciding to own it in some ironic superhero fashion, like if Superman with all his powers, strengths, and all other things remaining equal, was called Loserman instead?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

antavila posted:

Could someone explain to me the meaning of "Deku" and how it's an appropriate hero name for Midoriya?

I couldn't remember what it meant so I decided to read series' wiki and it says this:

So would an english synonym for "Deku" essentially be the word "loser"? Would I be correct in assuming that he's basically deciding to own it in some ironic superhero fashion, like if Superman with all his powers, strengths, and all other things remaining equal, was called Loserman instead?
The only thing I could think of in English that could maybe have different interpretations or spin that's sorta like that would be "Zero" maybe.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I like Deku because it makes me think of Deku Scrub Link from Majora's Mask.

Feels like a natural fit for Deku.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
The wiki seems to be slightly inaccurate (I think) because yes, "Deku" is another reading of Izuku's name, but when Bakugou gave him that name when they were kids he said something like, "From now on, a 'Deku' is someone who can't do anything." It's just something he made up as a little child. It doesn't have any explicit meaning.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah It's a thing Bakugou did because he started learning more advanced Japanese characters (i forget which kind is more complicated) before the other kids, and Midoriya written in those characters can be read as Deku.
It doesn't really have a direct analogue in English.

The closest thing would be letter replacement. Like Clancy->Fancy, or maybe name shortening like Richard->Dick,

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Richard Midoriya will become a super cool hero

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Deku Spacious CPA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Level Slide posted:

Deku Spacious CPA