Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So not sure if there's anywhere else to talk about it but this last update to Plague's DS1 run is kind of really bad. He gets riled up by the (admittedly lovely) Bed of Chaos and spends the whole episode bitching how rolling/dodging attacks and avoiding them all together is better than waddling up with big armor and shield and face tanking it.

Dude's really pissed that you can't use shields to effectively deal with every attack ,and on some level I understand but him complaining that dodging is just, to quote him, "will I press B at the right time!!!!" is just kind of dumb because even in his dream Souls game design doc he's writing that he brought up it would be the same poo poo but just replace with "Did I hold my shield up in time/Is my armor big enough?"

But, now stay with me here, what if you just stepped out of range of the attack?

God, why is Plague such a heel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

RareAcumen posted:

But, now stay with me here, what if you just stepped out of range of the attack?

Apparently re-positioning mid combat isn't part of realistic combat. Armor should just block damage and poise should just let you completely ignore enemy attacks so you can just parry everything because parrying in Dark Souls doesn't work on everything.

Which is weird complaint to have while also screaming about how much you hate Bloodborne, a game built around either parrying dudes or getting in on them to hit them hard enough to stagger them so you can parry/big attack them.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

This is exactly why I stopped watching Plague Souls.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Apparently re-positioning mid combat isn't part of realistic combat. Armor should just block damage and poise should just let you completely ignore enemy attacks so you can just parry everything because parrying in Dark Souls doesn't work on everything.

Which is weird complaint to have while also screaming about how much you hate Bloodborne, a game built around either parrying dudes or getting in on them to hit them hard enough to stagger them so you can parry/big attack them.

This is starting to sound more and more like the optimal form of combat is Rock Em' Sock Em' Robots minus the ability to move them backwards, the more you describe it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

This is starting to sound more and more like the optimal form of combat is Rock Em' Sock Em' Robots minus the ability to move them backwards, the more you describe it.

Well no because that would be face tanking things and earlier Plague bitched about that too being bad. So plague's game design doc sounds like Armor blocks damage and poise is it's own meter like stamina and shields/parrying work on every unless they're too big then you use super warrior techniques, note: not spells because those are also apparently the worst designed thing in DS, to parry them but you can't roll away or dodge because he explicitly wants to make rolling 'the worst thing you can do'. So basically instead of dodging attack you'd either face tank them with armor or your shield or parry.

How pressing R2 to parry or R1 to shield at the right time to ignore incoming attack and get in a few attacks is significantly different from pressing Circle to dodge at the right time and get in a few attacks is something only Plague knows. I've listened to about 15 hours of his LP and from his complaints and descriptions there doesn't seem to be that big of a difference.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
really enjoying woolie's rendition of 99 problems in the description of what I am assuming is the last round of bloodborne videos

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The thing that surprises me the most about Bloodborne is how relatively straightforward the plot is compared to DaS 1 and 2, and even DeS to a degree. It's pretty simple to piece together everything that happened and who all the players are.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Blockhouse posted:

really enjoying woolie's rendition of 99 problems in the description of what I am assuming is the last round of bloodborne videos

99 problems and HP ain't one.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

In this episode Pat confirms he played ahead again. :allears:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Woolie's reaction to the broken window was great, especially since Pat literally just read a note right there. Just gotta bury Pat as hard as possible.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

In this episode Pat confirms he played ahead again. :allears:

There was a note right there that said there was a hidden path. He's taken swings at walls every time he finds one of those.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
He does it earlier in the episode, even

Wordnumber
Jan 13, 2015
No, Pat hacked PSN to keep trophies from popping so he could play ahead. You can tell from how he had no idea what to do during the boss and ran away from a room with a gesture in it.

I mean somebody may have told him about it but I don't know how much control Pat has over random fans spoiling poo poo.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Woolie's reaction to the broken window was great, especially since Pat literally just read a note right there. Just gotta bury Pat as hard as possible.

Woolie got hosed by the tape-replay on that one. Sorry, Woolie.

Also Woolie related:

https://twitter.com/_JTRO/status/605906483755114497

Dias fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 5, 2015

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

There was a note right there that said there was a hidden path. He's taken swings at walls every time he finds one of those.

But he actually walks up to the window and turns around to read the message before hitting it.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Dias posted:

Also Woolie related:

Thank god for woolie

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

After I beat the Celestial Emissary for the first time (haven't watched the vid yet but assume that's what we're talking about) I rolled through that window immediately after lighting the lantern without really thinking about it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

beep by grandpa posted:

After I beat the Celestial Emissary for the first time (haven't watched the vid yet but assume that's what we're talking about) I rolled through that window immediately after lighting the lantern without really thinking about it.

I'd done the same thing because that looks like a door/hidden passage.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Wiseblood posted:

But he actually walks up to the window and turns around to read the message before hitting it.

first of all why do people even care if internet people played a game ahead to learn what's coming up, second of all, if i consistently saw user placed hints near walls that just so happen to lead to secrets, then i'd probably act like a human and start assuming walls with hints near them contain secrets

but idk, i only watched three episodes of bloodborne so :shrug:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's not so much people care as Woolie does and listening to him being a smarmy holier-than-thou rear end in a top hat over nothing is annoying

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

That window is obvious to anyone who has played a Souls game.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

It's obvious to anyone who's played a video game.

Also re: Pat playing ahead, no one has a loving problem with him playing ahead, at all, people have a problem with him lying about it constantly and then proving himself to be a liar. People do not like dishonesty - who knew? Except for today's video I've been up to date with the playthrough and I believe he stopped playing ahead somewhere around or before the Shadows of Yharnam.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

beep by grandpa posted:

Also re: Pat playing ahead, no one has a loving problem with him playing ahead, at all, people have a problem with him lying about it constantly and then proving himself to be a liar. People do not like dishonesty - who knew?

Actually it's about ethics in the Zaibatsu.

Stop being weird.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Pat the Liar Stole My Playstation.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

beep by grandpa posted:

It's obvious to anyone who's played a video game.

Also re: Pat playing ahead, no one has a loving problem with him playing ahead, at all, people have a problem with him lying about it constantly and then proving himself to be a liar.

He really didn't, he kinda spilled the beans immediately both times.

Also,

Stop being weird.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

?

Is there something weird or controversial about the general point that I made or is it that it looks like the post was made angrily cause I said gently caress in the post because I will remove the gently caress

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Was trying to go with that, just to be clear.

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

pandaK posted:

first of all why do people even care if internet people played a game ahead to learn what's coming up, second of all, if i consistently saw user placed hints near walls that just so happen to lead to secrets, then i'd probably act like a human and start assuming walls with hints near them contain secrets

but idk, i only watched three episodes of bloodborne so :shrug:

Why would you care if other people cared? People talk about it because if your friend and you made a decision to play a game blind from a series you love for the Internet, you'd be really bummed out if he broke your pact. Then when he got called out he got extremely dismissive about it like he did absolutely nothing wrong and like Woolie was the rear end in a top hat. Can you really not understand why that creates any sort of emotion in people that have watched the channel for a while?

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q53E7FsJ3jM

beep by grandpa posted:

?

Is there something weird or controversial about the general point that I made or is it that it looks like the post was made angrily cause I said gently caress in the post because I will remove the gently caress

Read your post out loud to yourself, and then never post again.

Silentman0 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 6, 2015

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

goldblums eyes posted:

Why would you care if other people cared? People talk about it because if your friend and you made a decision to play a game blind from a series you love for the Internet, you'd be really bummed out if he broke your pact. Then when he got called out he got extremely dismissive about it like he did absolutely nothing wrong and like Woolie was the rear end in a top hat. Can you really not understand why that creates any sort of emotion in people that have watched the channel for a while?

not really, no. Yeah I'd be bummed out a bit, but I wouldn't linger over it forever and repeatedly post about it on the internet.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

the zaibatsu are not my friends, they are just internet people who make content that i occasionally enjoy. why do i care about the inner politics about who's scummier than the other

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

if some major movie actor made a social faux pas, i'd probably go huh that's p hosed up, and then go on my way

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

pandaK posted:

not really, no. Yeah I'd be bummed out a bit, but I wouldn't linger over it forever and repeatedly post about it on the internet.

I don't read this thread that much I don't think anyone is acting out of line/weird about it. I assume people talked about it the first time it happened then it happened again so people talked about it again. Conversation on the Internet is different than real life, so even a page of dialogue here between 5-10 people is only like, a 2 minute conversation. I've always thought this thread is pretty level-headed, except for when people ask WHY DO YOU CARE ABOUT THIS?!!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hey shut up because D4 is now on steam go buy it instead of bickering impotently

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Jesus Christ when did this turn into the Giant Bomb thread?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

From Soft games.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

please look forward to the dark souls 3 lp

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dias posted:

Also Woolie related:

Woolie's a good man

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

lets hang out posted:

please look forward to the dark souls 3 lp

Careful now, discussing future bad lps might start another "care" leak which will prompt the same 4-6 shitheads to start ranting about people "feeling" things again

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
holy poo poo todays scrublords is loving amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I hope you guys are prepared for all this hot nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3RAGJ9Hm30