Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Akarshi posted:

But people say that the Blaster sucks in turf war. Why not practice in Ranked, where it's good? I don't especially care about my rank since I pretty much stay in C and play with similarly ranked C people. Was B-, but then I started blasting.

People are dumb. If you can't win with a weapon in Turf War how are you going to win in Ranked?

year199X posted:

I've gotten plenty of great blind kills from around corners with it, yeah. I just really hate the deadzone between you and the blaster shot where if you miss the splash won't do any damage, and you're as good as dead because of the horribly slow fire rate. Granted I've had really good rounds where I was able to squid up to people and pop them in the face for a one shot kill, which is very satisfying when I pull it off consistently.

Also, I hate disruptor grenades.

Learn to keep your spacing while fighting people. Most of the rapid fire weapons like the Aerospray have terrible range, if you can keep people at the correct distance to get the burst/one hit KO you will usually win engagements. The disruptor grenades are great for this because they stop opponents from closing the distance with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Misandu posted:

People are dumb. If you can't win with a weapon in Turf War how are you going to win in Ranked?

Because turf war isn't about getting kills, its about spreading ink. The blaster is not good at spreading large amounts of ink which is why its bad in turf war. In splat zones you need to spread ink to control the zones, but you can spread ink easily with any weapon when the enemy is dead.

I mean you can practice with the blaster just fine in any mode but don't expect to score well with it in turf mod.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Misandu posted:

Because the gamemodes are fundamentally very different and weapons that are quite good at killing can be at a pretty large disadvantage in turf war. Like the blaster.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Caerulius posted:

I emptied out the chaff, and combined some entries. Leet gear data in here.

There's a link at the top if you find anything wrong.

Are you finding that people report the same clothing as having the same abilities? I thought it was all randomized, honestly.

Would anyone be interested in gathering pictures of the clothing? I can't believe there isn't a database yet. What would be the best place that we could all upload, does imgur do albums with more than one person contributing? The only other thing I know is either photobucket or flickr.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.
If you control the game and territory in Turf War the exact same way you would to score a KO on Splat Zone you will win. Scoring kills and keeping opponents contained will win you matches in Turf War much more easily then avoiding conflict. The only difference is that if you get lucky and break a good contain in the last 30 seconds of Turf War you can pull out a win more easily.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Some cool stuff I've noticed about map rotations:

Maps rotate every 4 hours; we already know this. But as a consequence of this number being divisible by 12, the maps rotate at the same times every day, AM or PM, doesn't matter. I'm in central time US, so maps rotate at 9, 1, and 5 for me. This makes it easy to know when maps are gonna rotate by glancing at the clock. Good design!

Also, the maps that are in rotation for turf war during one 4-hour period rotate and become the ranked maps for the next 4-hour period. So if you're the kind of person who has 8 hours to play a video game, you could spend an entire period playing one set of maps in turf war and be nicely warmed up for playing those same maps in ranked. Also good design!

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The only difference between Turf War and Splat Zones is in the latter you can predict where people will be and what they're trying to do. Turf War is a mess of players running to every stupid corner of the map but the combat practice is basically the same as ranked without any of the rank loss.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
For those of you sick of having to wear the same gear for the same buff, keep in mind that once you get to 20 you can spend 30k to unlock an extra slot on an item you already have. I took advantage of that for the Black Arrowbands, for example.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Reiley posted:

The only difference between Turf War and Splat Zones is in the latter you can predict where people will be and what they're trying to do. Turf War is a mess of players running to every stupid corner of the map but the combat practice is basically the same as ranked without any of the rank loss.

I feel like the hardest part of Turf War is doing enough work to make up for the people on your team who're making sure to get every inch of the map you already control while the entire enemy team is alive and pushing out.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Sade posted:

Also, the maps that are in rotation for turf war during one 4-hour period rotate and become the ranked maps for the next 4-hour period. So if you're the kind of person who has 8 hours to play a video game, you could spend an entire period playing one set of maps in turf war and be nicely warmed up for playing those same maps in ranked. Also good design!

This isn't 100% true. When Port Mackerel came out, it was pinned as one of the two Turf War maps for 6 cycles (24 hours) but didn't appear in ranked until the 24 hours were up.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

ComradeCosmobot posted:

This isn't 100% true. When Port Mackerel came out, it was pinned as one of the two Turf War maps for 6 cycles (24 hours) but didn't appear in ranked until the 24 hours were up.

Oh yeah I forgot about this. Seems to be true barring the release of new maps though.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
hey trashboat, idk where you are, but i think you got tweeted by NoA

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/606920368490610688

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

noirstronaut posted:

hey trashboat, idk where you are, but i think you got tweeted by NoA

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/606920368490610688

Oh wow. Somebody at the NoA Twitter is a huge King of the Hill fan, apparently

Congrats trashboat.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I'd wish they'd tone down the aerospray or at least tone up the painting capacity of some other weapons. I've been playing around with some other weapons like the blaster and they're fun and all but they don't have quite the "gently caress it im heading to their base and winning this shitshow singlehandedly" factor the aerosprays got.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I'd wish they'd tone down the aerospray or at least tone up the painting capacity of some other weapons. I've been playing around with some other weapons like the blaster and they're fun and all but they don't have quite the "gently caress it im heading to their base and winning this shitshow singlehandedly" factor the aerosprays got.

Different weapons are good for different game modes and maps. Eliter is bad for ranked on Skate Park, and super great on Mall or Rig. Blaster's not great in turf war but great in ranked.

It encourages playing with different guns and trying different things out. I'm guessing things will change also with the new game modes and maps coming out as well.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I agree, it feels weird not being able to push range w/ the N-ZAP against them. I can kind of understand it not being great with ambushes against them because of the spray, though, even if it's still feels crummy when you bite it. Also I've noticed a ton of weird connectivity issues recently (dying through walls, paint popping up, etc.). Anybody else get a disconnect notice during the results screen? That's fun.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I think the Aerospray would be fixed if they tweaked the enemy ink slowdown rate. As it is if someone is shooting at you you literally cannot even swim away from them since it lowers your movement speed and jump height to be in enemy ink and the Aerospray turns all of the ink around you into enemy ink. It's not so much a problem with the gun's stats as the gun capitalizing on a core mechanic in a way no other weapon does. The stats could literally be anything but as long as it sprays ink that wide and that fast your victims will just be stuck in place to eat all five bullets it takes to kill them. It's not really a case of it being "just a different playstyle" so much as it being literally the only weapon you can't run away from.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
You can shoot behind people with almost any gun

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You don't have to shoot behind them with the aerospray though. When you're shooting them because of your RoF and spread you're painting at their feet as well and they can't really move, with most other weapons it's more possible to flick down, paint your feet quickly and escape.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

IronicDongz posted:

You don't have to shoot behind them with the aerospray though. When you're shooting them because of your RoF and spread you're painting at their feet as well and they can't really move, with most other weapons it's more possible to flick down, paint your feet quickly and escape.

You can either trap people and then kill them, or just kill them.

Hm, which is better...

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Aerospray would be fixed if it just took a lot longer to kill people. Sure its weak and needs to hit you like 6 times but it has such a fast rate of fire.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Lemming posted:

You can either trap people and then kill them, or just kill them.

Hm, which is better...

This is just being obtuse. When you point a gun at someone you can shoot at them and they can reasonably strafe to the sides, back or try to move diagonally forward to land a close shot on you, but because the Aerospray has such a wide saturation pattern the act of shooting to kill also paints all the ground beneath and around them, closing off all of their escape options. You don't need to plan to lay trap paint before going in for the kill because the bulletspread and RoF guarantee that aiming sort of at someone also achieves this effect at the same time.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Reiley posted:

This is just being obtuse. When you point a gun at someone you can shoot at them and they can reasonably strafe to the sides, back or try to move diagonally forward to land a close shot on you, but because the Aerospray has such a wide saturation pattern the act of shooting to kill also paints all the ground beneath and around them, closing off all of their escape options. You don't need to plan to lay trap paint before going in for the kill because the bulletspread and RoF guarantee that aiming sort of at someone also achieves this effect at the same time.

It kills so slowly that the trade of for "it makes it easier to kill them over several seconds" is "the person you're shooting at is almost certainly going to kill you first"

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

That's not really remotely true at all though :psyduck: Am I playing with a totally different gun?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I have literally never lost a 1v1 with someone while using an RG except when it's a roller

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

noirstronaut posted:

I have literally never lost a 1v1 with someone while using an RG except when it's a roller

and even then? Probably a coin flip.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Just won a ranked battle where our team of four rollers KO'd the other team using normal person guns

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Reiley posted:

That's not really remotely true at all though :psyduck: Am I playing with a totally different gun?

Try out in the weapons test area for yourself. Get right up in a dummy's face and see how long it takes each gun to kill.

Aerospray is slow even if you hit all 5, and you probably aren't going to be so close that you hit with all 5.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Lemming posted:

Try out in the weapons test area for yourself. Get right up in a dummy's face and see how long it takes each gun to kill.

Aerospray is slow
even if you hit all 5, and you probably aren't going to be so close that you hit with all 5.

Lmao

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
How's the rapid blaster? It looks awesome if you add damage up?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Anidav posted:

The reviews from what I've seen on the weapon are mixed. I don't have a bunch of experience but like, 2 direct hits for a weapon thats still pretty slow is rough.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

The aerospray is good at making sure guys can't run away. With most weapons its pretty easy to just squid away but you can't really escape from an aerospray guy. It does kill slower than most other weapons though so you gotta get the jump on guys with it or attack from a good spot like up on a ledge or something

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Anidav posted:

it's pretty much objectively worse than the blaster/custom blaster, higher dps over multiple shots doesn't mean poo poo because the normal blasters kill in one direct hit so their kill times are still way, way faster than the rapid blaster's. and the rapid blaster's splash damage falls off way quicker as well.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Augh but I was saving up for it because disruptor grenades loving suck.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Lemming posted:

Aerospray is slow even if you hit all 5, and you probably aren't going to be so close that you hit with all 5.

I have tried it out yes but the fact is it shoots those five bullets pretty quickly and you can also shoot them while jumping around and dodging someone shooting back at you which is, again, the biggest unlisted advantage about the gun. It would be a lot more even if you could also jump around and dodge those five bullets, but you really can't, and that's the magic reason why that gun posts high marks all the time. You don't even need to track that well to land your shots.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I think making the aerospray slow you down more when holding/firing it would help. You get a ton of mobility from it by going swim/leap/fire/swim sort of pattern on it, which negates a lot of its drawbacks in actually fighting since you can maneuver / retreat better while your opponents get choked off due to your rampant squirting.

I usually get a pretty good k/d with it on top of consistently being over 1k in inking.

Anidav posted:

Augh but I was saving up for it because disruptor grenades loving suck.

those own though

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 5, 2015

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
It's kind of crazy that the amiibo's essentially are game's worth of missions on the existing single player levels. I've been going through the inkling boy's missions and I really don't even want to think about doing the last boss with the roller.

Did anyone else here think the last boss went on a little bit too long?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Reiley posted:

I have tried it out yes but the fact is it shoots those five bullets pretty quickly and you can also shoot them while jumping around and dodging someone shooting back at you which is, again, the biggest unlisted advantage about the gun. It would be a lot more even if you could also jump around and dodge those five bullets, but you really can't, and that's the magic reason why that gun posts high marks all the time. You don't even need to track that well to land your shots.

You can still dodge pretty well since there are always holes in coverage, unless they got the drop on you, in which case you're at a disadvantage anyway, and they could have just killed you with a different gun by then. If you're not aiming well and you're relying on the spray then it takes even longer to kill, and you will probably be killed first.

It does well in turf, where I agree it's very good, but it's not very good at killing people which is why it's not great in ranked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Actually I think all nintendo would have to do to make Aerospray still excel and not be overpowered is to just decrease it's range a little bit. It already has like, the shortest range so :shrug:. It would make it still excel at being super close, super aggressive and covering as much turf as possible but it would make dealing with them a bit easier.

• Locked thread