Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
gently caress snake tits, this is my fetish:

quote:

"When we have our meetings, when we talk about stuff, we only talk about PC,” said Solomon. “We talk about ‘What is the experience like on PC? What does the mouse feel like in this experience?’” The most obvious change resulting from those conversations is how the team is optimizing the interface to be mouse-and-keyboard friendly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

SexyCommando posted:

The poo poo that I've been seeing around the internet about PC exclusivity is mind-boggling. People really do not realize how much effort it actually takes to port a game. It's like they think you just copy/paste the source code onto a PS4 disc, use the find/replace command to swap some terminology, and ship it.

gently caress consoles, gently caress ports, PC Gaming Master Race unironically.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Fintilgin posted:

"gently caress snake tits". This is my fetish.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

gently caress that poo poo how about you talk about touch screens, the actual best control method for your dumb game Jake

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Fintilgin posted:

gently caress snake tits

you don't gotta tell me twice :grin:

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
The only thing I'm worried about is losing some of the vibe that came with the original XCOM - I kinda liked being a secret delta force sent in to deal with a problem at a gas station.

If everything is us guerilla fighting aliens in cities and such it just won't have the same pseudo military coolness to it.

The whole "cavalry is here" thing was neat.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
i always thought it was funny that in some maps you can see a bunch of cars casually driving by as though an invasion of earth by aliens wasn't happening.

SexyCommando
Mar 1, 2014

Just do your best.
Just do your worst.

oswald ownenstein posted:

The only thing I'm worried about is losing some of the vibe that came with the original XCOM - I kinda liked being a secret delta force sent in to deal with a problem at a gas station.

If everything is us guerilla fighting aliens in cities and such it just won't have the same pseudo military coolness to it.

The whole "cavalry is here" thing was neat.

I'm wondering if it will be guerilla warfare for the entirety of the game. Like once we have successfully gone around the globe and garnered support from all the countries to rebel, there's still the matter of actually rebelling. I feel like the later sections (or at least the last act) of the game are going to closely resemble the last sections of EU, where it's basically "XCOM has all of its poo poo together now, nothing left to do but storm in and murder everything".

Moddington posted:

I give it a month after release until someone ports EU/EW/LW to XCOM2.
Given the kind of overhauls people seem to be talking about (Warhammer 40K, etc.), that's probably the easiest seeing as all the assets are already available.

SexyCommando fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 5, 2015

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

I give it a month after release until someone ports EU/EW/LW to XCOM2.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I've been playing XCOM since launch (and I played X-com at launch) and I've never once built a SHIV. What does that say about me?

Once thing that struck me about the trailer was that the Advent soldier's armour looked exactly like the crystal Outsider guys.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

TheCenturion posted:

I've been playing XCOM since launch (and I played X-com at launch) and I've never once built a SHIV. What does that say about me?

Once thing that struck me about the trailer was that the Advent soldier's armour looked exactly like the crystal Outsider guys.

Only that you are missing out on cute, fun robot buddies.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Zigmidge posted:

gently caress that poo poo how about you talk about touch screens, the actual best control method for your dumb game Jake

Hmmm yes I actually would prefer to sit hunched at my desk for hours on end after sitting hunched at my desk for work this sounds great pc master race forever for a game that might as well be made of cardboard

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
One thing that always bugged me a bit about XCOM's storyline is that once the temple ship shows up there's no possible way that XCOM could keep the whole "operating from the shadows" thing going. To say nothing of a seismic event that can be felt at XCOM HQ no matter where on the earth it's located, meaning that if you based yourself in Europe or Asia, South America should just be loving gone after an earthquake like that.

Basically the temple ship is cool so long as you don't think about it, at all.

quote:

Hmmm yes I actually would prefer to sit hunched at my desk for hours on end after sitting hunched at my desk for work this sounds great pc master race forever for a game that might as well be made of cardboard
Stop hunching!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Zigmidge posted:

If you're hunching you should get a better chair, or change your desk height.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Geight posted:

One thing that always bugged me a bit about XCOM's storyline is that once the temple ship shows up there's no possible way that XCOM could keep the whole "operating from the shadows" thing going. To say nothing of a seismic event that can be felt at XCOM HQ no matter where on the earth it's located, meaning that if you based yourself in Europe or Asia, South America should just be loving gone after an earthquake like that.

That was a shame to learn my second game. My first game to reach that point (and was successful) was based in South America so I figured the temple ship always appeared off the coast of whatever continent X-COM calls home as a direct challenge to you, the aliens wordlessly saying that they know where you are so bring it on chump.

Was then disappointed when I put HQ in Africa for my second game and the temple ship didn't arrive off the Nigerian coast.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I like playing PC XCOM with my XB360 controller. Even if you aren't hunched over your desk, you still can't lean back and relax the same as you can with a controller.

E: Regarding temple ship, humanity knows the aliens are invading, the intro to the first terror mission is a newscast. They just don't know about XCOM specifically.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 5, 2015

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

How do we miss the forest for the trees so badly? It's not about the hunch you nerds

It's about lying naked upside down on the couch covered in cheetos controlling the fate of the human race while masseuses from at least three different pacific island nations rub me down to de-stress after a long day of looking at spreadsheets.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Sans the cheeto dust that sounds like my usual Friday, I just use a wireless keyboard with a touchpad on it 😘

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

But what if you want to play in a blanket fort? Fort XCOM, if you will....

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Zigmidge posted:

masseuses from at least three different snake genera

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Zigmidge posted:

But what if you want to play in a blanket fort? Fort XCOM, if you will....

Moooooooom, the base invasion isn't until next month!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Cythereal posted:

Hopefully there will be alternative outfit options that are less military-like. I'd accept either nice suits or going full-on Mad MaX-COM.

Clearly what Xcom needs are Tactical Turtlenecks. Tactlenecks if you will.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Eimi posted:

Non-combat cybernetics and visible gene mods would be interesting costume options, maybe once you have the facilities. Watch a trooper with mimetic skin constantly turn invisible - but only their skin, leaving their hair, armor/clothing, and equipment visible.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
If Firaxis was smart, they'd monetize this series like they do every goddamn Civ game and just release a shitload of fashion packs to allow you to give your guys all sots of stupid hair and outfits. Make each pack cost a buck or two, collect ALL THE MONEY.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Fuzz posted:

If Firaxis was smart, they'd monetize this series like they do every goddamn Civ game and just release a shitload of fashion packs to allow you to give your guys all sots of stupid hair and outfits. Make each pack cost a buck or two, collect ALL THE MONEY.

They basically did that with Slingshot back in the EU days.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Fuzz posted:

They did this with the first XCOM, and people didn't like it. The same way they didn't like it when they made little piecemeal DLCs for Civ V. :v: Game -> Expansion is very much more Firaxis' strength.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Notorious QIG posted:

They basically did that with Slingshot back in the EU days.

And then people bitched and then we got EW, which also had more hats/decos/murder options, so no loss there.

SexyCommando
Mar 1, 2014

Just do your best.
Just do your worst.
Cosmetic packs are basically obsolete with official mod support anyways. Speaking of which, I'm anticipating the modding article because I'm curious as to how extensive the tools will be, or if it's just going to be weapon/character models and textures, and some level editing stuff. I know Firaxis was very supportive of Long War, so I wonder how much deep, gameplay-altering customization can be done from the get-go.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

"Community-focused tools allow you to create your campaign, tactical gameplay, aliens, classes, strategy game features, and share with the Steam Workshop."

Sounds pretty extensive to me!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Eimi posted:

Gonna be sad if Sterling Archer isn't a cheat code.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
I had always hoped that XCOM 2 would have a conventional military presence. Like, it would be fun (in a more-intense long-war type setting) if that scout UFO you missed over France actually ended up shot down by a squadron of Typhoons, or sometimes friendly military units would be found on-site when you raided the crash site. This would even make the council requests more engaging, rather than simply being a direct exchange you now also have the benefit of improving the gear of world allies. Give Australia laser rifles, and next time combat occurs in Australia friendly forces are likely to have laser rifles.

With this campaign setting, that could still be interesting. Non-advent conventional military that still exists but is subservient to advent. Basically equipped like ballistic exalt troopers but causes public relations issues if you kill them.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

The Lone Badger posted:

What are the Rules of Snake-Tits, anyway?

1. Snake Tits may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. Snake Tits must obey the orders given it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. Snake Tits must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Delsaber posted:

1. Snake Tits may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. Snake Tits must obey the orders given it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. Snake Tits must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws.
4. [CLASSIFIED]

FTFY

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Wales Grey posted:

"Major Trauma: Unknown" ? Did you lose a covert operative to friendly fire or something?

It's the message for people that get left behind when you evac a mission. It basically means, "Well we abandoned this dude to a bunch of murderous aliens, so he's dead but we don't know how."

Typically you get it for guys on a bleedout timer/stabilized that can't actually run for it with the squad. So you leave them. You monster.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I am v. glad clever posters have stumbled upon the other half of the implications in my naming this thread

my friends we have a good grasp on the functions of the following:
1) water
2) fire
3) air
4) dirt

but fuckin' snake tits, how do they work?!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Based on the art posted there's at least 30 more.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
I'm going to make a mod that removes slithertits :devil:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i'm going to make a mod that puts tits on everything, including the robots

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Notorious QIG posted:

Xenonauts has a great air war. To be honest I'd play a game that was pretty much just that.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who would play an air war-only version of Xenonauts. Also the fighter that looks like an F14/F22 hybrid is baller as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

4. Never Oppose Snake-Tits

• Locked thread