Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005
Protip: For fighting Noon/Nightwraiths, simply run like 20-30ft away when they split and they won't be able to drain your health to heal, after a couple seconds they'll merge back into one and you can reengage.

Also, on my first play through I pretty much ignored alchemy, it just felt like such a hassle popping into menus and swapping potions into the two slots that your given, only having a couple of bombs that are hard to hit anything with, and oils that get used up right away and poo poo. But put a couple of points into the alchemy tree and suddenly potions last forever, oils last forever, and you have like 8 of each bomb which can kill whole groups of dudes in just a couple of seconds without you ever having to draw your sword which is all pretty rad. Bombs work best when you don't bother trying to aim them, simply soft/hard lock a target and tap the button to auto throw it - also you can drink potions straight from the inventory so just do that instead and save your slots for swallow/healing items. Poisons are also awesome and let you kill dudes that are like 15 levels above you, I skipped Novigrad because all that Dandelion stuff is dumb and went straight to Skellige where I was taking down level 25 Cyclops at level 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Aishan posted:

Only 7 treasure hunts? Where are you getting that from, as there are 12 from just the Witcher gear ones alone? Not to mention all the random hidden treasure ones.

Do hidden treasures count as treasure hunts or side quests in the quest log?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

admataY posted:

The attention to details in this game is so good. There was a certain quest that made me think CDPR messed up with NPC models , but nope the " mistake " was actually a very big hint to that quest resolution .

Talking about Carnal Sins?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Perestroika posted:

One thing that makes sirens (and by extension harpies as well) much quicker is parrying their swoops like you would a human opponent's attack. If you time it right, Geralt will step aside and land a hit that causes them to crash to the ground right in front of you, where you can often just directly finish them off with one attack.

You can also pick up a horn from a skellige quest line that makes them literally fall right out of the sky en-masse, and you can use it indefinitely. I tended to just auto-aim crossbow shot them down and then slash em a few times when they were on the ground though.

In other news, I'm SO glad the patch has finally arrived, I had stopped playing ever since I heard about and saw the xp bug in action, I did one quest with no xp and wasn't bothered but two major sidequests without that reward stung too much. Back to the trenches!

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Manatee Cannon posted:

Do hidden treasures count as treasure hunts or side quests in the quest log?

No these are the ones listed in your quest log.

They are: (Names of quests)

Secondary Quest: Freya Be Praised!
Secondary Quest: X Marks The Spot
Secondary Quest: Ruins, Hidden Treasure, You Know
Scavenger Hunt: Viper School Gear
Scavenger Hunt: Griffin School Gear
Scavenger Hunt: Cat School Gear
Scavenger Hunt: Bear School Gear

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Number of side quests by region (excluding secondary character quests like Tower of Mice or Redania's Most Wanted)

These don't include Witcher Contracts or treasure hunts

White Orchard: 5
Velen: 33
Novigrad: 37
Skillege: 37
Kaer Mohren: 6

I didn't even know there were side quests in Kaer Mohren

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 5, 2015

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
The patch mentions interface improvements. What does that mean?

Are books and notes now finally arranged at the bottom of that page in the inventory?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

theblackw0lf posted:

I didn't even know there were side quests in Kaer Mohren

There's a bunch of places on the map there that give you small sidequests that expand on the background of the WItcher school there, it's pretty neat. Just look at the map for ruins or caves.

Speaking of, I never managed to get further into that iron mine there.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
When you're re-modeling Dandelion's Tavern, does he express disappointment regardless of the choice you make? Or does he actually prefer the theater-themed cabaret? I picked the bourdois look and.... I chose poorly.

Also is the Law of Surprise a Witcher rule or a general cultural principle that Witchers use to recruit?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
The Pellar now sells all the diagrams for rune crafting, including the greater ones. So long crowns :homebrew:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

theblackw0lf posted:

didn't even know there were side quests in Kaer Mohren

Yeah they're actually kind of cool. The best one starts from a book you can pick up in the fortress itself, don't remember the exact location off the top of my head though.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

theDOWmustflow posted:

When you're re-modeling Dandelion's Tavern, does he express disappointment regardless of the choice you make? Or does he actually prefer the theater-themed cabaret? I picked the bourdois look and.... I chose poorly.

Also is the Law of Surprise a Witcher rule or a general cultural principle that Witchers use to recruit?

He loves the theater-themed look, and comments on how he didn't know you had such good taste.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

theDOWmustflow posted:

Apparently there is a wiki for this kind of thing and it will probably answer this question better than I could http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Law_of_Surprise

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
drat that's some five o'clock shadow

(Novigrad spoilers maybe i guess)

http://i.imgur.com/8fAWnXH.jpg

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Finished it. Steam logged 158 hours. I am back amongst the living.

Got the ending with Ciri and Geralt witching it up together, Temeria being free again after the Nilfgaardian victory. In hindsight I gotta say, Eredin got off way too easy compared to Imlerith (IGNI IN YO' FACE, BIGASS MACE TO THE DOME, gently caress YEAH).

I wonder which decisions would have led to other outcomes, I don't recall anything in particular that could have switched gears significantly. Or does it hinge on the final four dialog options? Can't imagine it's that simple.

Ah well, I hope there will be an enhanced edition again. It will be fun to revisit in a year, along with the DLC.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Not a fan of how the quests are laid out combined with the massively reduced (in this patch) XP rewards for grey quests, keep getting quests sending me to Skellige that are just under my level when I'm only just starting Novigrad at level 13/14ish. Just always feel like I have to overthink what quests I'm doing rather than whatever seems the most interesting at the time (and yeah I could just stop overthinking it but then I'd end up with a bunch of grey quests at some point).

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Scandalous posted:

drat that's some five o'clock shadow

(Novigrad spoilers maybe i guess)

http://i.imgur.com/8fAWnXH.jpg

I'm not seeing any beard/moustache facial hair in this photo?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

mcbexx posted:

Got the ending with Ciri and Geralt witching it up together, Temeria being free again after the Nilfgaardian victory. In hindsight I gotta say, Eredin got off way too easy compared to Imlerith (IGNI IN YO' FACE, BIGASS MACE TO THE DOME, gently caress YEAH).

I wonder which decisions would have led to other outcomes, I don't recall anything in particular that could have switched gears significantly. Or does it hinge on the final four dialog options? Can't imagine it's that simple.

Ah well, I hope there will be an enhanced edition again. It will be fun to revisit in a year, along with the DLC.

Taking Ciri to see the Emperor can lead to her being Empress. I think she can die/not come back if you gently caress up too many of the parenting decisions with her. Temaria being reinstated (but not free, they are part of Nilfgaard now) depends on you going against Djikstra in the end of the assassination side quest line. If you side with him/choose to be neutral when he decides to kill Roche and Thaler, he becomes leader of Redania and Nilfgaard is pushed back out of the North entirely.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Drifter posted:

I'm not seeing any beard/moustache facial hair in this photo?
Are you not seeing the dark colouration around the chin, cheeks and mouth? I truly thought it would be revealed to be Dandelion in drag.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Scandalous posted:

Are you not seeing the dark colouration around the chin, cheeks and mouth? I truly thought it would be revealed to be Dandelion in drag.

There may not be any characters of color in this game, but don't harsh on Priscilla for being a trans-woman. It's also a major hint in a followup quest, her "gender reassignment" surgeon is the real serial killer.

not really

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

mcbexx posted:

Ending spoilers: The ending you gets seems to mainly hinge on how you treat Ciri throughout the game. If you try to be controlling or unsupporting she will reject Geralt and either disappear from the Continent entirely or become Empress of Nilfgaard. Whereas if you treat her like an actual adult and let her make her own choices, she'll stick with Geralt and become a Witcher.

I think someone narrowed it down and there's actually five key moments which can affect things, like visiting the grave with her near the end of the game, or having that snowball fight with her in Kaer Morhen will push her towards Geralt, whereas speaking for her with the Sorceresses or forcing her to take Lara's necklace when you raid Avallach's lab will push her away.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

There may not be any characters of color in this game, but don't harsh on Priscilla for being a trans-woman.
You're right. I apologise for being disrespectful of the Polish tradition of bearded ladies.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

According to the guide, there are three main endings, with different variations. These are what determine the three main endings.

1. Drinking with Ciri or having a Snowball Fight
2. Taking the coin or not from the Emperor (and also deciding to go in the first place)
3. Going with her to talk to the Lodge of Sorceresses or not
4, Letting her wreck the laboratory or not
5. Going to visit Skjall's grave

Also whether or not you killed Radovid or not.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 6, 2015

admataY
Oct 16, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

Talking about Carnal Sins?

yeah . just another great side quest in a game full of great sidequests, and no time wasting fetch quest in sight .

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Do I need to keep the books/letters I collect throughout the game? My "usable items" list is getting cluttered

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

casual poster posted:

Do I need to keep the books/letters I collect throughout the game? My "usable items" list is getting cluttered

Read 'em once and sell 'em

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yeah just make sure you open every book/letter to be sure and get the quest notes/bestiary updates/whatever that comes from them, then dump them because they clutter the inventory

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Aishan posted:

Ending spoilers: The ending you gets seems to mainly hinge on how you treat Ciri throughout the game. If you try to be controlling or unsupporting she will reject Geralt and either disappear from the Continent entirely or become Empress of Nilfgaard. Whereas if you treat her like an actual adult and let her make her own choices, she'll stick with Geralt and become a Witcher.

I think someone narrowed it down and there's actually five key moments which can affect things, like visiting the grave with her near the end of the game, or having that snowball fight with her in Kaer Morhen will push her towards Geralt, whereas speaking for her with the Sorceresses or forcing her to take Lara's necklace when you raid Avallach's lab will push her away.

That's not quite how it works. Ciri becoming Empress isn't linked with 'bad' choices, it's tied to the same positive choices that the Witcher Ciri ending is, just with two additional requirements -- Nilfgaard has to win the war (so Radovid and Dijkstra have to die) and you have to take her to visit the Emperor so she can receive his offer. If the option is available and she hasn't vanished/died, she will always become Empress over becoming a Witcher.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Nice. thanks.
Also I heard it's better to dismantle weapons/armor than it is to sell them, any truth to this? I'm into the first part of the game (past the prologue) and not doing great with money.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Depends on if you get anything worthwhile from dismantling it, and you can check if this is the case as the dismantling interface shows you exactly what you're getting.

I didn't bother dismantling all the rusty novigrad swords I've been picking up, but sometimes I see a relic sword that's strictly inferior to anything I already have that I could sell but dismantling it gets me some crushed gemstones, which would ordinarily cost like half a grand, so hey.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

casual poster posted:

Nice. thanks.
Also I heard it's better to dismantle weapons/armor than it is to sell them, any truth to this? I'm into the first part of the game (past the prologue) and not doing great with money.

Dismantling also costs money, so it would have to be a nice premium to warrant it. Gemstone dust is absolutely in this category.

However, there IS a huge difference in price when selling goods to the appropriate vendor. Generic merchants (the bag) as a rule suck for selling to. Innkeepers pay decent for skins. Blacksmiths pay the most for weapons, and armorsmiths pay the most for armor pieces. Also shop around for any jewelry--ruby gold rings vary in buy price from 30 to 115 from what I've seen so far around Velen.

If it's a crap novigrad sword it's probably not worth seeking out a blacksmith if it delays you too long, but a nice multi-socketed sword should be shopped around for the best price you can. Of course, once swimming in crowns you might not even care.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 6, 2015

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

casual poster posted:

Nice. thanks.

So far I haven't found any swords that breakdown into rare components. Just sell them all to armorers and blacksmiths.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

theDOWmustflow posted:

So far I haven't found any swords that breakdown into rare components. Just sell them all to armorers and blacksmiths.

I believe relics do, but anything below just gives you regular material. If you're in dire need of iron ingots or leather straps it might be cheaper to dismantle than it would be to buy the materials themselves.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Awesome amount of info! Thanks y'all!

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
didnt beat the baron in gwent before he went on his way. hope i can still be the very best, that no one was

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

my new dog posted:

didnt beat the baron in gwent before he went on his way. hope i can still be the very best, that no one was

Check his office.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
So.. Is the 1.04 PS4 patch the same as the 1.05 PC patch?

I want the better movement stuff. :(

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I really don't appreciate loving water hags.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Why would you gently caress a water hag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, if you're haggling because you really really need the coin then something seems to have gone terribly wrong with your spending habits.

It just seems so...tacked on. There's not even a trophy or anything attached to it and those things tend to be petty as hell.

You need to haggle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n3LL338aGA