Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

The karma poo poo in NV is fixed up by josh sawyer's "unofficial official" mod for it, which really should be in everyone's install.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Bless whoever made this image.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Hahaha :allears:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Tile wallpaper version tia

Republican Vampire posted:

It's complicated. They've been at war with the NCR since before there was an NCR. They were formed from one of the four factions that emerged from Vault 15 after the Vault collapsed into violent conflict. So there's this long shared history there. Most of their raiding's basically an extension of that conflict, since the only raiding they ever seem to do targets Shady Sands. Sure, they had a couple rear end in a top hat leaders, but on the whole they're pretty chill people who the Republic's treated like poo poo for years. Garl Death-Hand could get along with Killian Darkwater, so clearly they're not that bad. There's a quest in Fallout 2 that involves violently driving them out of their ancestral home and killing most of them so that the NCR can use its tech to launch a violent and corrupt expansion campaign. I think that raiding and doing violence against the people who have been brutally oppressing you for ages is not really that evil a thing to do.

If I'm remembering right the only way to join the Khans in the first game is by beating their sex slaves to death because their boss is bored with them :raise:

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Yeah it's fun

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

New Vegas doesn't have Ella Fitzgerald or Billie Holiday on it, making it the poorer product by my most important objective metric.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

In a world wracked by constant uncertainty, only the Lady Legends Of Jazz Count system can be relied upon as an objective arbiter.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It feels like I'm wearing nothing at all. Nothing at all. Nothing at all.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 6, 2015

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Does New Vegas ever have anything on par with the Dunwich Building in FO3? God that was good.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

khy posted:

Does New Vegas ever have anything on par with the Dunwich Building in FO3? God that was good.

the vaults are pretty good in that regard

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

khy posted:

In sheer environmental storytelling, not much can beat Vault fuckin' Eleven.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Roobanguy posted:

the vaults are pretty good in that regard

I dunno. I never really felt all that creeped out by any of the vaults, even the weirdass plant one. Granted, they were fun and had fun stories, but nothing really felt all that creepy or disturbing.

Dunwich building creeped me the HELL right out.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

khy posted:

Yes it's called the whole game.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Give me, a hope, to build a dream on

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

unpopular opinion: the vaults in New Vegas were actually pretty lovely

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

cargohills posted:

unpopular opinion: the vaults in New Vegas were actually pretty lovely
i'm not going to disagree in terms of level design-- vault 34 was the pits and vault 22 had a really bad layout

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Sharkopath posted:

New Vegas doesn't have Ella Fitzgerald or Billie Holiday on it, making it the poorer product by my most important objective metric.

I will admit, it's hard for New Vegas to compete with 3 having three Ink Spots songs, but the one it does have is good and besides that it has a general strong list of tracks that make it a decent contender.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

its been a while since ive played fo3 but the only song i remember from it are the one about the congo and the one about a dude who liked to gently caress. of course the only songs i remember from nv are johnny guitar, big iron and lonestar.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i always turn the game to easy an then mod my health to basically nothing so that way nobody has almost any health and it feels more hardcore

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sharkopath posted:

It has Johnny Guitar though.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Shugojin posted:

Also, Marcus has a super good point about Caesar. He talks a good talk, but it dies with him. Just look at the rear end in a top hat who ends up in charge if you let him die.
The Legate is pretty badass, its also very rewarding to talk him down in the final boss level then again it was also fun to talk down the Master in FO1. I like boss fights that can be resolved in ways that don't involve brute force

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

It has Johnny Guitar though.

Further cementing the "Fallout 3 is better" argument

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

achillesforever6 posted:

The Legate is pretty badass, its also very rewarding to talk him down in the final boss level then again it was also fun to talk down the Master in FO1. I like boss fights that can be resolved in ways that don't involve brute force

I like that in anchorage which is the worst Dlc, your only option is to kill constantly until the final boss, who you can convince to suicide.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah, I mostly meant that no one else share's Caesar's actual vision because he never loving told anybody, so everybody else is just going to blindly bash their way through the Wasteland, hating and fearing medicine and technology rather than growing to use it like Caesar intended.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I actually like anchorage a bit but it's wierd that they made a huge new map abd a bunch of original environments and assets and turned the game into a wierd experimental corridor shooter thing instead of more fallout.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

My favorite thing about Anchorage is how grabbing the unique power armor could auto complete the quest to get the other t-51b power armor :mmmhmm:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

khy posted:

There aren't any ghosts or cthulus in New Vegas, no.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

cargohills posted:

Further cementing the "Fallout 3 is better" argument

That game puts you in the perfect mood you mouth breathing pleb.

Also it's cool how the Legion pronounces Latin how the Romans would've. Gave me history nerd tinglies.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Shugojin posted:

Yeah, I mostly meant that no one else share's Caesar's actual vision because he never loving told anybody, so everybody else is just going to blindly bash their way through the Wasteland, hating and fearing medicine and technology rather than growing to use it like Caesar intended.

He probably figures that an important part of his synthesis is that the participants aren't aware it's happening.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Republican Vampire posted:

It's complicated. They've been at war with the NCR since before there was an NCR. They were formed from one of the four factions that emerged from Vault 15 after the Vault collapsed into violent conflict. So there's this long shared history there. Most of their raiding's basically an extension of that conflict, since the only raiding they ever seem to do targets Shady Sands. Sure, they had a couple rear end in a top hat leaders, but on the whole they're pretty chill people who the Republic's treated like poo poo for years. Garl Death-Hand could get along with Killian Darkwater, so clearly they're not that bad. There's a quest in Fallout 2 that involves violently driving them out of their ancestral home and killing most of them so that the NCR can use its tech to launch a violent and corrupt expansion campaign. I think that raiding and doing violence against the people who have been brutally oppressing you for ages is not really that evil a thing to do.
Yeah by NV they basically turned the Great Khans into this group of pseudo bikers/native americans/mongol raiders

I always liked them though, Papa Bear is a good leader who is fairly reasonable when it comes to things not involving the NCR, he also listens to his members of the tribe and they get a fairly good ending if you convince them to leave.

Shugojin posted:

Again I do wish if you sided with the Legion that you got an ending where Caesar adopted you to continue the Rome parallels and make you either a Augustus or Caligula depending on your moral standing after the game is over.

The real tragedy is that Obsidian could never find the time nor money to make gameplay after the main quest was over to show you just how much the world changed from your actions.

Sharkopath posted:

Yeah the music in New Vegas isn't as good as 3, but at least the radio host is better.

Then again mods make that a moot point really since you can put a ton of music in the radios then.

On the flip side Fallout 3 didn't have the vocal talents of Danny Trejo, Zachary Levi, Kris Kristofferson, Rene Auberjonois, Michael Dorn, John Doman, Michael Hogan, and a bunch of other voice actors that are in every video game (your Steve Blums and Laura Bailey's)

Hell I'm shocked that Troy Baker wasn't in New Vegas.

2house2fly posted:

There aren't any ghosts or cthulus in New Vegas, no.
There are however Aliens, Holy Hand Grenades, ROUS, Indiana Jones, and most important of all Johnny Five Aces

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 6, 2015

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Something something something, to the man with the pig iron, on his hip

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
but its big iron

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

2house2fly posted:

He probably figures that an important part of his synthesis is that the participants aren't aware it's happening.

Maybe, but that sort of plan could really use a Foundation-style select secret order who actually understand the point.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Still kinda perturbed that no turbonerds remade 1 and 2 with GECK.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Eonwe posted:

but its big iron

I fooled you. I fooled you. I got pig iron. I got pig iron. I got all pig iron.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

Holy Hand Grenades, ROUS, Indiana Jones, and most important of all Johnny Five Aces

I haven't found the HHG, Indiana Jones, or Johnny Five Aces. Are these direct references or gimme more infos

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

achillesforever6 posted:

There are however Aliens, Holy Hand Grenades, ROUS, Indiana Jones, and most important of all Johnny Five Aces

There are also four balls on the edge of a cliff

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Fallout 3 had a problem with sniping where after a medium distance bullets plain missed no matter how high your skill was.

Fallout NV did not have this problem and I enjoyed headshotting most of the deathclaws from atop the gravel feeder in the limestone quarry.

Fallout 4 better let me loving snipe properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

khy posted:

I haven't found the HHG, Indiana Jones, or Johnny Five Aces. Are these direct references or gimme more infos

Weird Wasteland trait.

• Locked thread