Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

I like how happy Buu is even when he lost. He was just in for fun, so he takes losing in stride. So nice.

Also the Supreme Kai was useful, this is the least realistic fan comic ever.

And Vegeta gets to fight Kakarot next as he wanted! Not his Kakarot, but close enough. That said, considering Vegeta can go up to Super Saiyan 2, I wonder if Kakarot has a chance, he hasn't shown forms beyond the original Super Saiyan. His Vegeta became a Super Saiyan 3 (as short-lived as it was) and could become a Super Saiyan 2 already in the story, but I don't think it's been said if Kakarot can go beyond Super Saiyan.

I bet he can. Partly because the fight will be hard to make interesting otherwise (especially considering I'd already be shocked if Veggie Prime doesn't make it all the way to Goku), and partly because Kakarot's reaction to Emperor Veggie going Super Saiyan 3 was just "Dammit I wanted to beat him to it!" or something like that, which makes it sound like they were previously pretty close to each other in terms of strength.

...man, I hope we get to see Emperor Veggie again at some point. He was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also the Supreme Kai was useful, this is the least realistic fan comic ever.

This is the truest thing.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

"Gotenks doesn't give away his techniques, he provides a license for use."

This comic is always great.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I'd pay good money for Emperor Vegeta's clothes in Xenoverse. Even keeping it in canon, King Vegeta's armor with cape would have been a nice touch.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I want Raichi's custom Saiyan armor. That stuff is mad stylish.

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

The punching bag should have a picture of a monkey on it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So in the English dub of Kai, attack names seem inconsistent. Special Beam Cannon and Destructo Disk go by their original Japanese names of Makankosappo and Kienzan respectively, but then Spirit Bomb isn't called Genki Dama. Tien also yells Tri Beam and not Kikoho before he dies.

At first I thought they were localizing only Piccolo's attacks with their original Japanese names to play on his foreign origins, but then Kienzan happens. Any thoughts on why they went with these decisions?

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 5, 2015

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Could just be that "Spirit Bomb" and "Tri-Beam" sound less dumb/have more to do with the actual attack than "Special Beam Cannon" and "Destructo Disk."

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Destructo disk is a good name, even tho it never destructos things

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
I like Special Beam Cannon and Destructo Disk :(

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Spiritus Nox posted:

Could just be that "Spirit Bomb" and "Tri-Beam" sound less dumb/have more to do with the actual attack than "Special Beam Cannon" and "Destructo Disk."

Uh I'll have you know that Special Beam Cannon and Destruco Disk both accurately describe the attacks and own as names.

The Japanese names themselves don't actually mean anything to most audiences of the English dub, but I guess you could argue that applies to "Kamehameha" and "Kaioken" as well.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

Raxivace posted:

Uh I'll have you know that Special Beam Cannon and Destruco Disk both accurately describe the attacks and own as names.

I know, right? It's a beam that shoots like a cannon and it's pretty fuckin' special. What more do weeaboos want?!

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Spiritus Nox posted:

Tri beam is also a dumb name though

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
The literal names of the Japanese ones are dumb too.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
What's a not-dumb name for an attack where you shoot energy out of your hands

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zzulu posted:

Nail Gun.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Special beam cannon is a stupid name but distructo disk is hella cool

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Raxivace posted:

So in the English dub of Kai, attack names seem inconsistent. Special Beam Cannon and Destructo Disk go by their original Japanese names of Makankosappo and Kienzan respectively, but then Spirit Bomb isn't called Genki Dama. Tien also yells Tri Beam and not Kikoho before he dies.

At first I thought they were localizing only Piccolo's attacks with their original Japanese names to play on his foreign origins, but then Kienzan happens. Any thoughts on why they went with these decisions?

Kai's dub is weird because Krillin's used both Kienzan and destructo disc. which sucks because kienzan sounds way cooler.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Amorphous Blob posted:

Special beam cannon is a stupid name but distructo disk is hella cool

I lump them in with the mispronounciations of Kaioken and Kamehameha from the Ocean dub: things that should be forgotten.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Rudoku posted:

I lump them in with the mispronounciations of Kaioken and Kamehameha from the Ocean dub: things that should be forgotten.

what, you arent impressed by kaMeyaMeya?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Enourmo posted:

what, you arent impressed by kaMeyaMeya?

the kameyameya wave

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Zzulu posted:

Hell zone grenade and final flash are pretty cool.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Well to give them some credit they were using the pronunciation of the name of the Hawaiian King. Sadly the attack is not an allusion to him but rather a cute rhyme on turtle destruction but I guess it's a nice effort.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Xibanya posted:

Well to give them some credit they were using the pronunciation of the name of the Hawaiian King. Sadly the attack is not an allusion to him but rather a cute rhyme on turtle destruction but I guess it's a nice effort.

Explain Kayeoken, then. Especially when they named the cockroach god King Kai.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Xibanya posted:

It actually is a reference, it's just also a japanese turtle pun

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Is this from the Revival of F manga? If so, all my dreams are coming true

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
It's from a cool Japanese fan art Twitter, sadly/awesomely. I went looking for the official movie tie in manga here and I couldn't find it!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Well, it's canon now and I won't hear different.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Prison Warden posted:

It actually is a reference, it's just also a japanese turtle pun

Yeah this, they even go "isn't that the name of that Hawaiian king..." in the manga. Supposedly, he wanted "kame" (turtle) in the attack and asked his wife, who gave him King Kamehameha.

This was also the issue where the puff-puff was introduced, which makes it extra funny that she gave him advice.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Special Beam Cannon is one of the most badass moves in dbz.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

mabels big day posted:

Special Beam Cannon is one of the most badass moves in dbz.

It really is. Kind of a shame how everything turned into "a big ball or beam" after a while, you'd think people would get more creative with their attacks assuming they can will ki to take whatever form they like.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

It really is. Kind of a shame how everything turned into "a big ball or beam" after a while, you'd think people would get more creative with their attacks assuming they can will ki to take whatever form they like.

Some people chose to turn their ki into exploding ghosts

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Ruggington posted:

Posting from the Xenoverse thread:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Gotenks was the savior of DBZ and I'll cry irl if he doesn't do stuff in Super

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Ruggington posted:

Well yeah but you've gotta pay license fees for that poo poo.

Countblanc posted:

Gotenks was the savior of DBZ and I'll cry irl if he doesn't do stuff in Super

:agreed:

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

mycot posted:

Posting from the Xenoverse thread:

Aww, they should've made the ghosts take the face of your character.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Petiso posted:

Aww, they should've made the ghosts take the face of your character.

Naa, it's a licensing thing with Gotenks. Gotta keep the brand visible.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Is this from the Revival of F manga? If so, all my dreams are coming true

Xibanya posted:

It's from a cool Japanese fan art Twitter, sadly/awesomely. I went looking for the official movie tie in manga here and I couldn't find it!

I believe this is from the same artist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Sigh, if only. If only. Sadly Toriyama hates Yamcha.

I'll be sure to do this in Xenoverse once the DLC drops, just as a tribute to this great image.

• Locked thread