Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I mean. You have pretty constant references to him throughout. Not specific but it's hardly out of nowhere and they're designed to pique your interest.

I was 12 and got it so... :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
The Weaver appearing in IC was pretty neat-o.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

thehomemaster posted:

The Weaver appearing in IC was pretty neat-o.

The Weaver showing up in IC is one of the few times I've gone "oh poo poo" out loud while reading a book.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
This Census Taker jacket copy:

For readers of George Saunders, Kelly Link, and Karen Russell, This Census Taker is the poignant and uncanny new novella from award-winning and bestselling author China Miéville. After witnessing a profoundly traumatic event, a boy is left alone in a remote house on a hilltop with his increasingly deranged parent. When a stranger knocks on his door, the boy senses that his days of isolation are over—but by what authority does this man keep the meticulous records he carries? Is he the boy’s friend? His enemy? Or something altogether other?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Not until January 2016 :-/

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Reveilled posted:

I've been plugging away at Perdido Street Station on and off for a few years now

I freaking loved Perdido Street Station when I first read it, but if it's taken you few years to try to read a book then perhaps you should just accept that it isn't for you obviously loving sucks and read something else. It's not homework.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Just be prepared to forfeit major internet street cred.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
If you like the ideas but not the execution, maybe you could give The Scar a try instead. Much better written.

JockstrapManthrust
Apr 30, 2013
The Scar is an outstanding book. I wish he would expand upon the far flung regions hinted at in it. I would love to read more about the Grindylows culture, High Cromlech, and the Ghosthead Empire.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
But that's like asking for more backstory in Mad Max: Fury Road. The reason it works is because it's not handed to you. Less is more.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

JockstrapManthrust posted:

The Scar is an outstanding book. I wish he would expand upon the far flung regions hinted at in it. I would love to read more about the Grindylows culture, High Cromlech, and the Ghosthead Empire.

He should just kickstarter a High Cromlech book so I can be happy.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Benson Cunningham posted:

He should just kickstarter a High Cromlech book so I can be happy.

Why would he crowd fund it? It's not like he would have any trouble getting it published traditionally. He could walk in to any fantasy publishing house and say "I want to write another sequel to perdido street station" and walk out with a bag of cash.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

andrew smash posted:

Why would he crowd fund it? It's not like he would have any trouble getting it published traditionally. He could walk in to any fantasy publishing house and say "I want to write another sequel to perdido street station" and walk out with a bag of cash.

Because we're the vox populi and he loving loves that poo poo.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Cover art for the limited edition Three Moments of an Explosion, from Subterranean Press:

drat. Some of the best cover art I've ever seen. Reminds me of Stanley Donwood's work for Radiohead.

edit: OH poo poo it's Dave McKean!!

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
lol, that should have been the cover on the normal release, jesus christ.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Christ, that looks incredible. So much more evocative than the bland-as-hell twilight cover we got.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I like the dark covers, assuming we are talking about the ones with a common look among all his books.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Oasx posted:

I like the dark covers, assuming we are talking about the ones with a common look among all his books.

Oh, the UK covers are great:

It's the US cover which is a loving abortion of graphic design:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Hedrigall posted:

Cover art for the limited edition Three Moments of an Explosion, from Subterranean Press:

drat. Some of the best cover art I've ever seen. Reminds me of Stanley Donwood's work for Radiohead.

edit: OH poo poo it's Dave McKean!!

Goddamn.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
IT'S SOLD OUT ALREADY?!?!

When was it on sale?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

thehomemaster posted:

IT'S SOLD OUT ALREADY?!?!

When was it on sale?

It went on preorder like a month ago, but without cover art.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

I don't even get it. U.S. artists aren't innately this awful. You have to coax it out of them. This poo poo is intentional.

BigSkillet
Nov 27, 2003
I said teaberry, not sandalwood!
The cover downplays any fantastical elements. The jacket blurb compares him to other authors who are made a big deal of for "transcending genre." It looks like the publisher is trying to give him a push towards the mainstream.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Who publishes that in the States? I'm going to tear them a new one write them about that and say that since I'm from :canada: I'll just go with the UK version and tell them I'm suggesting people order the same from stores up here instead.

I mean don't judge and all, but even plain white would have been better.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Benson Cunningham posted:

I don't even get it. U.S. artists aren't innately this awful. You have to coax it out of them. This poo poo is intentional.

From across the pond I think US marketing executives think you guys can't muster interest in anything that doesn't look like a bad photoshop job.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I once saw some of the US covers of Terry Pratchett books and pretty much projectile vomited everywhere. The original Josh Kirby covers are a bit love/hate, but at least they are distinctive. Plus there are a bunch of re-release/collector edition covers in the UK that are extremely classy.

Feast your eyes on these beauties:

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Peel posted:

From across the pond I think US marketing executives think you guys can't muster interest in anything that doesn't look like a bad photoshop job.

The depressing state of literature in the U.S. can only be attributed to the inability to cover browse at the rapidly diminishing number of physical book stores without quietly vomiting into your own mouth.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

It came early :neckbeard:

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
So excite! Do you get a review copy?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

This Census Taker jacket copy:

For readers of George Saunders, Kelly Link, and Karen Russell, This Census Taker is the poignant and uncanny new novella from award-winning and bestselling author China Miéville. After witnessing a profoundly traumatic event, a boy is left alone in a remote house on a hilltop with his increasingly deranged parent. When a stranger knocks on his door, the boy senses that his days of isolation are over—but by what authority does this man keep the meticulous records he carries? Is he the boy’s friend? His enemy? Or something altogether other?

Hmm...sounds very Roald Dahl esque.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Roald Dahl or Stephen King, depending on the tone. Miéville actually does pretty drat good King-style horror, see: Säcken.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

anilEhilated posted:

Roald Dahl or Stephen King, depending on the tone. Miéville actually does pretty drat good King-style horror, see: Säcken.

I will when I get to it. I'm reading Three Moments slowly, savouringly (and also because I'm writing story-by-story thoughts for a blog post).

drat, some of these stories are good.

drat, some of these other stories are frustrating.

(edit: I'm doing the story-by-story thing in three blog posts, and the first is up here, with non-spoiler descriptions of the first 10 stories and my thoughts on each one)

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 15, 2015

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Reveilled posted:

I've been plugging away at Perdido Street Station on and off for a few years now, on the basis that I was strongly recommended to read it before Iron Council, Which was the book by Mieville I was most interested in. But every time I try I lose interest because it feels like extremely slow going, with what feels like the vast majority of the text of the novel being spent talking about the setting rather than actually advancing the plot. I've considered skipping it anyway and going to Iron Council, but to some extent reading Perdido Street Station has made me reluctant on the basis that I'm not sure these books are really for me.

Do I really lose much by not having finished PSS, if I read Iron Council? And if my major gripe with PSS was that the plot of the novel seemed almost secondary to exposition on the setting, am I likely to feel the same about IC? For context, my primary interest in Iron Council was the fact that rebellions in fantasy stories always follow the exact same "depose the tyrant, crown the rightful king protagonist who rules justly ever after" and Iron Council had been described to me as a story about a working-class revolution without that rightful king bullshit.

If it doesn't sound like I'd like Iron Council or if it really is detrimental not to have read PSS, is there a more, uh, accessible book you'd recommend?

I just finished Iron Council a month ago, and it's been a year since I read PSS or The Scar. I put it off because reviews said it was inferior to the other two (those reviewers were wrong). Honestly, you don't need to have read PSS to enjoy Iron Council. Yes, there are references to some happenings in PSS that are enjoyable if you've read it, but they're not key to understanding or enjoying Iron Council. Vague references to the sleepless nights when the moths were on the loose, jack-half-a-prayer's fate & Yagharek's last-minute heroism, the destruction of the Construct Council.. And obviously the setting and factions are more fleshed out if you've read PSS. But I say go ahead and read it.

That said you'll still get long expository passages describing the setting, but it's a little more reigned in than PSS I think. Kraken's the only book I've read of his where he doesn't spend gobs of time on the setting, iirc, since it's basically modern London on the surface.

Wizchine fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 16, 2015

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

anilEhilated posted:

Aaand I just read Säcken.

Jesus motherfuck of a christ :cry:

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Goddamn I want this now.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Hedrigall posted:

Aaand I just read Säcken.

Jesus motherfuck of a christ :cry:
Yeah, it's probably my favorite story out of that book so far, especially given Miéville's annoying newfound tendency to leave the end of a story up to the reader's imagination.
It's like he started hating endings.

edit: I know he hates good endings, but a lot of the stories feel really unfinished to me.
edit 2: I think the videogame New Death deal is that people have devolved, lost their individuality to the point of becoming throwaway sprite enemies from a video game - the last bits where he talks about evolution to further achievements actually gives it some hope for change, but that's just how I interpret it.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jul 16, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, it's probably my favorite story out of that book so far, especially given Miéville's annoying newfound tendency to leave the end of a story up to the reader's imagination.
It's like he started hating endings.

edit: I know he hates good endings, but a lot of the stories feel really unfinished to me.
edit 2: I think the videogame New Death deal is that people have devolved, lost their individuality to the point of becoming throwaway sprite enemies from a video game - the last bits where he talks about evolution to further achievements actually gives it some hope for change, but that's just how I interpret it.

Maybe he's turning into Gene Wolfe.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Is Perdito Street Station the best jumping in point for Miéville? I found it on my bookshelf (must have bought it many years ago) and have never read it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
It's the opening novel for the Bas-Lag series and a good jumping off point for my money, but it depends whether Bas-Lag (dark, grim, really quite disturbing fantasy) is what you're after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Mordiceius posted:

Is Perdito Street Station the best jumping in point for Miéville? I found it on my bookshelf (must have bought it many years ago) and have never read it.

Yes.