Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Noggin Monkey posted:

Holy poo poo, that is such an inconceivable situation to be in. Not only is that guy getting fired, I'd wager that he is going to go to jail as well.

What blows my mind - beyond the fact that no one has audited him to discover this in four loving years - is that he is accumulating $600/mo in balance transfer fees in the shell game system he has rigged up. That person is in deep, deep poo poo.

Best part is he admitted everything online!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Noggin Monkey posted:

Holy poo poo, that is such an inconceivable situation to be in. Not only is that guy getting fired, I'd wager that he is going to go to jail as well.

What blows my mind - beyond the fact that no one has audited him to discover this in four loving years - is that he is accumulating $600/mo in balance transfer fees in the shell game system he has rigged up. That person is in deep, deep poo poo.

Assuming the credit card policies are the same as the amex one I quoted the company will also be in deep poo poo for not following their own rules and failing to check for misuse.

The upside of corporate cards is that they are supposed to be easy to monitor and control payments for the company. For the employee they usually collect points for the payments and get some minor benefits accordingly.

jaymeekae
Aug 30, 2003

I sound hot when I swear my f*cking head off.

Zo posted:

Yea i dont think most people would call that a corporate car.

Hey guys i got a company car. I even picked it out myself. Well, i also put the down payment on it. Yea i make the monthly payments too. Oh yea the loan is in my name as well.

But company car!!!

Company carD, not company car.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

jaymeekae posted:

Company carD, not company car.

I had the same confusion until I realized he was talking about the content in e.g. Rudager's post where part of the reason this dude is racking up debt on the company car is because he's using it to pay for these cars he keeps breaking/wrecking, and saying that a car is required for his job but not provided.

quote:

My manager said point-blank that if I did not get a car within the week, there was nothing he could do for me. He stated clearly and explicitly that the company card could not be used for personal expenses, but he also mentioned that it would not be checked up on if it got paid in full each month.
The orginal plan was to use the money for a deposit on a car, and once the car was paid off, I would then have the car as an asset, which I could use as security on a loan, which I could use to pay off the card. All was going to plan, but the car got written off due to the engine totally breaking down after a month, so I then had to get another deposit on a second car. That was also ok until one day while at a red light a semi-truck smashed it up , and that second car was nearly paid off but then it got writen off as well. Luckily, for the second car I did have insurance, but the insurance company only agreed to pay out the remaining balance on that car loan and so I was again carless. Third car deposit, and four years later I am feeling trapped in this cycle where I am getting about $600 in PayPal fees every month.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Why would a car get written off after the engine breaking down after a month. This story makes no sense.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Rurutia posted:

Why would a car get written off after the engine breaking down after a month. This story makes no sense.

There is some pretty weird car poo poo going on there. He keeps referring to deposits, so it almost sounds like he's had some sort of insurance/warranty every time - but then he needs to scrounge another down payment. The engine going out after a month may have been covered under some kind of rudimentary used car lot warranty. Getting hit by a commercial truck at a stop light would have gone against the other driver/company and the 3rd accident paid off the loan, but left him with nothing to drive.

So maybe his credit is so loving bad that he never has any equity in any of these vehicles so all the insurance does is clear the loan. And then he has to go through the same predatory loan process for another car. So he's never made fully whole after the accident and keeps sliding deeper and deeper into debt.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Only thing I can think of is that he hit something like a large rock that took out the oil pan and didn't pull over immediately. I had this happen to me but I pulled over within 10 seconds, turned the car off and fixed it on my dime but I'm sure I could have had insurance fix it, if I was willing to write the car off.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Rythe posted:

Anybody have any stories or experience with Vector Marketing? My cousin, who is a sophomore in college, just asked to set up an appointment to sales pitch me some knives. After reading this thread for so long the alarm bells triggered.

I went to one of their training sessions in college. I'd worked as a bag boy and at a car wash, and the job market around my college campus was flooded so in my ignorance I thought the $15/appointment ads might lead to something legit. They were written in a way that implied the company would give you the appointments.

I have a longer writeup on it in my post history if anyone wants to look for it, but I'll post the highlights here:

-They had us fill in the blanks in our training books. Presumably, this is so they can get around outright lying to you about various things. Such as how great the knives are and how poo poo legit knife makers like Henkel are.

-At least half a dozen times during the training session someone would burst in through the door behind us and hold a phone aloft. They'd say something like, "Hey everyone, Sharon just called in and she made $500 in sales today! Lets give her a hand!" After the second or third time this happened I realized I had never heard the phone ring.

-The guys running the session were pretty good at stringing the class along and telling stories, like the annual trip to the CutCo factory for the best salesmen. Ho ho, watch out for Bob in the lab he's a real riot because he cuts someone's tie each year, last year it was Doug right here haha right Doug? Also there is a machine there that places a piece of cardboard in front of a pair of CutCo scissors every second and it has been going for over a million seconds.

-The manager sits with everyone and tells them what he likes, usually turning a huge sales negative into a positive. "You don't have any sales training so I don't have to worry about erasing the bad stuff you learned" or "It's OK that you don't speak English well, you can access communities we can't."

-After the class they send everyone home and say, "Not everyone will make it, but we will call you after we get together to review you." Once everyone is separated they call everyone and tell them they got the job. They called me before my twenty minute bus ride was finished.

-They teach you bullshit tricks like taking the handle of a wooden knife and dipping it in water then having the customer smell the water to see all the nasty stuff in the knife. But wood has antimicrobial properties so this is just for show.

-Your cousin probably payed around $250 for the demo set.

I'm a bit ashamed to admit that at first I was a little amped, but at the end of the session they had us write down the names of everyone we knew and then told us to consider them as a potential sale. I started realizing how ridiculous this was when I wrote down my hot redhead English teacher's name and envisioned myself trying to sell her knives. After relating the details above my friends mocked me until I looked up "CutCo scam" and saw the number of results.

CutCo mostly works by granting some legitimacy to begging from your family. If you invite your cousin over then just give them cash directly, the commissions are horrible. Most salespeople make the rounds in their family and then discover that most people don't want to invite a stranger with a box full of knives into their home for a demonstration.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Ornamented Death posted:

This setup makes no sense to me. There's literally no upside to using the corporate card unless you're an idiot that enjoys filling out expense reports and getting no benefit from it (which you've obviously figured out, this is aimed more at your employer).

I suppose it might be useful if you can't otherwise get a credit card, but I would hope a company wouldn't hand out corporate cards of this nature without running a credit check on the employee, which just circles back to my first point.

I have no idea what sort of access the company has to the corporate card. I have to fill out expense reports no matter what method of payment I use, so I use my Chase Sapphire Preferred so at least I get the points, and then I submit receipts and get reimbursed for work travel expenses. Thankfully, I travel like 2-3x a year, so it's not a big deal. But if you're in sales or a consultant, gently caress. I don't know.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Desuwa posted:

Though I can see people using company cards for emergencies where it's the only way to pay and then getting it cleared up with the company later.

What? If you're in a financial emergency, I think the last thing you'd want to do is rack up a bunch of personal charges on a corporate card and risk losing your job and paycheck.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Not Reddit, for a change: OP uses his company credit card for personal use, racks up $20k balance.

It gets worse from there.

http://www.askamanager.org/2015/06/i-racked-up-20000-in-personal-charges-on-my-company-credit-card.html#comments

I collected on business credit cards for a regional bank for several years. This happened moderately frequently. At least at our bank, the company was responsible for the whole balance, so they'd have to pay it, then fire the person or take it out of their check or whatever.

It was several years ago so I'm not sure if I ever saw $20k, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Hey, at least he has a business card. I have a friend who is required to pay for all her corporate expenses and then get reimbursed. Not unusual you say? In an one week period she had to fly to Germany, California, and Argentina.

And then HR forgot to push a button and no one in the company got paid for a month.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Omne posted:

I have no idea what sort of access the company has to the corporate card. I have to fill out expense reports no matter what method of payment I use, so I use my Chase Sapphire Preferred so at least I get the points, and then I submit receipts and get reimbursed for work travel expenses. Thankfully, I travel like 2-3x a year, so it's not a big deal. But if you're in sales or a consultant, gently caress. I don't know.

I put hundreds of hotel stays and travel expenses through a year and do it exactly the same way. Rewards cards out the wazoo. Monday mornings weekly expenses reports are a bitch though.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Krispy Kareem posted:

Hey, at least he has a business card. I have a friend who is required to pay for all her corporate expenses and then get reimbursed. Not unusual you say? In an one week period she had to fly to Germany, California, and Argentina.

And then HR forgot to push a button and no one in the company got paid for a month.

Sounds like a dream come true. So many points.

RussianBear
Sep 14, 2003

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds
http://www.slate.com/articles/business/the_bills/2015/06/personal_budgets_are_overrated_seriously.single.html

Slate posted:

As for actual budgets? They offer the illusion, not the reality, of financial control. If you don’t have enough money coming in, they won’t make it better. Things like salary increases, more predictable income, and further health insurance reform—or even legislation putting a cap on balance billing—will help us with our finances more than any budgeting app or formal plan.

Bad with money is getting financial advice from clickbaity headlines. Budgets don't work in the same way that diets don't work.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

RussianBear posted:

http://www.slate.com/articles/business/the_bills/2015/06/personal_budgets_are_overrated_seriously.single.html

Bad with money is getting financial advice from clickbaity headlines. Budgets don't work in the same way that diets don't work.

"If you don't live within your means, there is no way for a budget to help you!" No poo poo.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Well, just like diets, it's common sense that almost no one follows. Some of the best advice I've ever received was "pay yourself first," meaning save a portion of your income before you buy anything. Then only spend what's left. Never had a budget, have a seven figure net worth anyway.

(That's not a humblebrag, I look down upon you Corolla-driving peasants with no humility whatsoever.)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

High Lord Elbow posted:

Well, just like diets, it's common sense that almost no one follows. Some of the best advice I've ever received was "pay yourself first," meaning save a portion of your income before you buy anything. Then only spend what's left. Never had a budget, have a seven figure net worth anyway.

(That's not a humblebrag, I look down upon you Corolla-driving peasants with no humility whatsoever.)

Yeah, but all your assets were equine and they just saw a spider and died.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Krispy Kareem posted:

Yeah, but all your assets were equine and they just saw a spider and died.

Nah, they're in bitcoin and someone just saw them and they got stolen.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
About mlm schemes:

Last summer one of my college acquaintances gave my phone number to their boss at vector. He recieved a very nasty email from me about sharing my personal info, but over the summer he sold $5000 of knives to his close friends and family and took a greyhound to some workshop and participated in their leadership Academy. He is an idiot

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

What? If you're in a financial emergency, I think the last thing you'd want to do is rack up a bunch of personal charges on a corporate card and risk losing your job and paycheck.

I should have been clearer, I meant an emergency in the sense of a medical or travel emergency where you're unable to pay otherwise.

I can't see that happening to me since I have a healthy emergency fund and don't carry balances on my cards but I can see someone being able to afford something absolutely vital but being unable to pay immediately.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Before I worked for my company they had a guy who used his company card to tip like $100+ on $50 dinners, go to strip clubs on it, bullshit like that. Eventually the boss found out/paid attention and he agreed to take out a personal loan for like $7000 to pay it back. The boss cosigned the loan and when it was found out that the guy was running his own little business under our company's nose doing the exact same thing as ours* and stealing several customers/vendors/jobs while two-timing, he was obviously fired. He stopped paying that personal loan and guess who is on the hook for it after that!

*His website's "about us" was even identical to ours but he find-and-replaced "Company A" name references with "Company B". It was so stupid.

I wasn't there for this, and don't have a 100% understanding on it so this might not make total sense but this was the gist of it that I got.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Desuwa posted:

Also isn't using a credit card to pay off the balance of a credit card, especially itself, illegal? No matter how indirectly you do it?
It's illegal in part because of how indirectly he's doing it! Literally credit card kiting.

quote:

In order for prosecution to occur in a credit card kiting scheme, a bank must prove intent to deceive.[1] Eq seq reference infers paying credit card minimum balances with credit card proceeds is de facto evidence of deceit.
Cash advances can be obtained from most credit cards, which can be used to pay off balances or loans. Though there are fees and higher interest rates for obtaining these loans, if a card has a high credit limit or no limit at all, this in theory could be used to pay off the previous balance while adding to the interest. In this case, the kiter is delaying legally due balances, and potentially interest payable to the credit card bank; or, in the cited extreme case, using the credit card proceeds to earn interest at both bank's expense.
Many payment services, such as Paypal and Square, allow people to receive credit card payments for low prices, which could be made to oneself. These could be used to pay off balances. In this case, the kiter is creating cash while avoiding legally entitled cash advance fees. This is a violation of PayPal and Square Terms of Service contracts and agreements

Even if it wasn't illegal, it's still against the Paypal TOS in what appears to be a lot of ways.

quote:

9.1 Restricted Activities. In connection with your use of our website, your Account, the PayPal Services, or in the course of your interactions with PayPal, other Users, or third parties, you will not:
  • Breach this Agreement, the Commercial Entity Agreement, the Acceptable Use Policy or any other agreement or policy that you have agreed to with PayPal;
  • Send or receive what we reasonably believe to be potentially fraudulent funds;
  • Conduct your business or use the PayPal Services in a manner that results in or may result in complaints, Disputes, Claims, Reversals, Chargebacks, fees, fines, penalties or other liability to PayPal, other Users, third parties or you;
  • Use your Account or the PayPal Services in a manner that PayPal, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover or any other electronic funds transfer network reasonably believes to be an abuse of the card system or a violation of card association or network rules;
  • Provide yourself a cash advance from your credit card (or help others to do so)

quote:

10.1 Your Liability.
0.3 Actions by PayPal - Restricted Activities. If PayPal, in its sole discretion, believes that you may have engaged in any Restricted Activities ... the actions we may take include but are not limited to the following:
  • We may close, suspend, or limit your access to your Account or the PayPal Services (such as limiting access to any of your Payment Methods, and/or your ability to send money, make withdrawals, or remove financial Information).
  • We may contact Users who have purchased goods or services from you, contact your bank or credit card issuer, and/or warn other Users, law enforcement, or impacted third parties of your actions;
  • We may refuse to provide the PayPal Services to you in the future;
  • We may hold your Balance for up to 180 Days if reasonably needed to protect against the risk of liability or if you have violated our Acceptable Use Policy;
  • We may take legal action against you; and
  • If you violate the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy, then in addition to the above actions you will be liable to PayPal for the amount of PayPal's damages caused by your violation of the Acceptable Use Policy. You acknowledge and agree that $2,500.00 USD per violation of the Acceptable Use Policy is presently a reasonable minimum estimate of PayPal's actual damages considering all currently existing circumstances, including the relationship of the sum to the range of harm to PayPal that reasonably could be anticipated because, due to the nature of the violations of the Acceptable Use Policy, actual damages would be impractical or extremely difficult to calculate. PayPal may deduct such damages directly from any existing Balance in the offending Account or any other Account you control.
Doing something illegal is definitely a violation of the Acceptable Use Policy :cop:

I'm certain it violates every credit card company's TOS since it isn't charged as an advance which is usually given a higher interest rate. He could easily end up having the card issuer notified by PayPal about it and get the account closed for TOS violations at a bare minimum.

Edit: I didn't even catch this on the first read through, how is this not some kind of regular ol' fraud?

quote:

The short version of the story is that I genuinely misunderstood the way my corporate credit card was to be used.

quote:

He stated clearly and explicitly that the company card could not be used for personal expenses

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 6, 2015

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Desuwa posted:

I should have been clearer, I meant an emergency in the sense of a medical or travel emergency where you're unable to pay otherwise.

I can't see that happening to me since I have a healthy emergency fund and don't carry balances on my cards but I can see someone being able to afford something absolutely vital but being unable to pay immediately.
Medical emergencies will be covered by the hospital and then you'll get to deal with collections later, not a big deal there. Otherwise, plan better. And plan better for medical emergencies, too.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

I just went to a high end car auction and saw so much bad with money stuff that it was amazing.

The best was one car just had $420,000 "invested" into a grounds up restoration...it sold for $120k.

Also, for entrepreneurial talk. I started my first company a year out of college and it did reasonably well. Did two more that bombed. Realized I needed some real world experience so I joined an industry I actually had a passion for (games), became really really good at a niche part of that industry for 4 years, and started my own company again last year doing that niche thing I'm really good at. It's doing better than I could have possibly dreamed of, but I pretty carefully planned this one out. I think just starting a business out of college is like a lotto ticket.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Barry posted:

Sounds like a dream come true. So many points.

I travel for a living, use my own rewards card and then get reimbursed by my company, and I can confirm that indeed, so many points.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I got so many frequent flyer miles when I'd travel regularly for business since we always flew out of the tiny regional airport near the office so each trip was at least two legs in each direction.

It was a bittersweet day I lost my AAdvantage status. On one hand yay not traveling as much, on the other I now have to board with the rest of the plebeians and no longer get free first class upgrades.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

It was a bittersweet day I lost my AAdvantage status. On one hand yay not traveling as much, on the other I now have to board with the rest of the plebeians and no longer get free first class upgrades.
I have pre-check, Global Entry, Nexus with Canada, top tier status at IHG and Hilton hotels, National rental car, and mid-tier status with Delta Airlines. I'm hoping that when I'm done with the travel portion of my job, that its completely over. One of my former co-workers was in the same position I'm in now, and when he took a different job, he still had to travel, but it was just frequent enough to not ever reach any kind of status with an airline, hotel, or rental car place.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Taking my son on his first flight (infant in arms) before he turns 2. Kind of fun having enough miles racked up to book a weekend flight back to my parents place for Father's Day without caring about ticket price.

I still live in the torture range forever stuck in Silver medallion. I fly enough that each year I miss gold by like 5000 miles. Nice that I don't fly that much but sucks that I don't get as many first class upgrades.

Flying places for work definitely forces you to create weird habits. Mine are pretty GWM. Expensive dinners paid for by vendors, sky club paid for by work, and I travel with my backpack only. I rarely buy anything myself on travel.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

dietcokefiend posted:

Taking my son on his first flight (infant in arms) before he turns 2. Kind of fun having enough miles racked up to book a weekend flight back to my parents place for Father's Day without caring about ticket price.

I still live in the torture range forever stuck in Silver medallion. I fly enough that each year I miss gold by like 5000 miles. Nice that I don't fly that much but sucks that I don't get as many first class upgrades.

Flying places for work definitely forces you to create weird habits. Mine are pretty GWM. Expensive dinners paid for by vendors, sky club paid for by work, and I travel with my backpack only. I rarely buy anything myself on travel.

How do you pack work clothes in a backpack?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Ahmed Zayat, the owner of American Pharoah that won the Triple Crown, seems to be a Bad With Money king but somehow pulls it off. Here's his "Triple Crown":

First we have a business plan that really thinks outside the box:

quote:

First, Mr. Zayat had to take the idea of selling beer to Muslims to international investors in an effort to raise $70 million. It was not even good beer — its flagship brand varied from one batch to another, and a common joke was that it could power heavy machinery if there was no diesel fuel available.

Second, a severe ongoing gambling problem:

quote:

In Mr. Zayat’s name, the stable also paid $1.2 million to New Jersey Account Wagering, $350,000 to the Las Vegas Sands, $150,000 to the Palms Casino and Resort and $100,000 to NHPlay.com, an account wagering platform for horse racing.

And third, horse equity.

quote:

Jeff Seder, a bloodstock agent, told Mr. Zayat in 2013, "sell your house, don't sell this horse," referring to American Pharoah.

quote:

Fifth Third Bank said Zayat Stables had defaulted on more than $34 million in loans it made to Mr. Zayat while his stable lost more than $52 million from 2006 to 2008. It also claimed that Mr. Zayat did not disclose a previous personal bankruptcy under the name Ephraim David Zayat and that he withdrew more than $2 million from stable accounts, in addition to a salary of $650,000, in the year before the bankruptcy filing.

quote:

As his stable ballooned to 250 horses, Mr. Zayat both wowed and wore on people. He hired and then fired Bob Baffert, the Hall of Fame trainer of American Pharoah, and he moved horses from one barn to another on what appeared to be a whim.

From the article, Ahmed Zayat’s Journey: Bankruptcy and Big Bets (sorry for New York Times link that might be behind paywall)

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

No Butt Stuff posted:

I work on the press/analyst side in the tech industry. Work clothes are blue jeans and button up shirts. Casual sometimes covers sweat pants for some guys in this field.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

No Butt Stuff posted:

I used to do 2 and 3 night trips out of an Arcteryx Blade 30 backpack and that included laptop, workout clothes, and "nice" work clothes meaning chinos, button-down, jacket, and dress shoes or boots. Then I have what's basically a laptop sleeve with a shoulder strap so that's what goes on to the client's office.

Fits into the smallest of commuter overheads. Packing cubes are great.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

dietcokefiend posted:

If you're consistently like 5k short, you should pick up one of the Delta cards that gives MQM. Like right now the Platinum gives 10k as part of the initial spend bonus and 10k after spending $25k. I don't think the AF is waived but if you fly Delta a lot and can spend for work on your own credit card it's probably worth it.

e: This is assuming you'd reach the qualifying dollars as well.

Barry fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 8, 2015

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Unfortunately you can only do this once in your American Express lifetime. You used to be able to switch from a personal card to a business card every year and get the bonus again but they removed that. I learned the hard way.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Yeah, that change was a kick in the nuts. Even so, if you travel enough for work to be able to get Gold status on Delta and can charge everything to your own card, I would imagine between work and personal it wouldn't be very hard to get that $25k of spend for 10k of MQM's per year. The perks of Delta Platinum over Gold is well worth paying the $195 AF.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
How does a person know the mileage game and not make some mileage runs to get that gold status?

Gold used to be INSANE on airlines. Silver was a 50% mileage bonus, Gold gave 100% on all but the oddest of fare classes. I was flying 60K BIS miles a year, racking up 120K. Plus, SPG points for hotel stays. Precious, precious SPG points on my hotel stays. Being allowed to pay for those on my own CC and expense them was incredible.

From what I remember, Delta fired the first shot in the erosion of tier rewards when they took away the status booking lines and expedited security lines from silver. A few years later, here we are-- gold barely means poo poo anymore on any airline.

Now I'm getting all nostalgic for SAN > LAX > SFO > PDX > SEA routings which would rack up over 4k miles round trip BIS, 8k award miles. RIP miles game.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Man, doing a 4 leg voyage for what would be less than a 3 hour flight might be Good With Miles, but definitely Bad With Sanity. 5x as many opportunities for something to go wrong as well.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Barry posted:

Man, doing a 4 leg voyage for what would be less than a 3 hour flight might be Good With Miles, but definitely Bad With Sanity. 5x as many opportunities for something to go wrong as well.
Yeah, that sounds horrible. I don't mind flying in the least, but I don't like wasting my time. Direct only for me. I also don't even fly for business - I couldn't imagine burning that much extra time frequently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Blinkman987 posted:

How does a person know the mileage game and not make some mileage runs to get that gold status?

Gold used to be INSANE on airlines. Silver was a 50% mileage bonus, Gold gave 100% on all but the oddest of fare classes. I was flying 60K BIS miles a year, racking up 120K. Plus, SPG points for hotel stays. Precious, precious SPG points on my hotel stays. Being allowed to pay for those on my own CC and expense them was incredible.

From what I remember, Delta fired the first shot in the erosion of tier rewards when they took away the status booking lines and expedited security lines from silver. A few years later, here we are-- gold barely means poo poo anymore on any airline.

Now I'm getting all nostalgic for SAN > LAX > SFO > PDX > SEA routings which would rack up over 4k miles round trip BIS, 8k award miles. RIP miles game.

As a DM, I'm glad they're cutting perks for lower tiers. Sky Priority boarding got absurd.

• Locked thread