Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The accelerated aging thing has been one of the few consistent aspects of Metal Gear Solid. It's part of MGS2 as well.

Everything else in 4 though was just Kojima trying to dig himself out of the hole he buried himself in.

Also I approve of Cam Clarke Appreciation. Everything he says in those last few scenes are glorious, especially his screaming and ARGH's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

gently caress those timers that run in cutscenes :argh:

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009
Kojima's "Liquid doesn't understand genetics" excuse would work a lot better if everyone else including genetic scientist Naomi didn't seem to believe the same nonsense.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I've always just figured that the reason they simplified it to dominant = good recessive = bad is because it's easier to explain as a plot convenience than the actual explanation of how dominant/recessive genes work. Most adults learned in middle school how they really work but it'd take TWO half hour cutscenes to explain it that way instead of just saying "we are opposites BUT WE'RE CUT FROM THE SAME CLOTH, YOU AND I" with one half hour cutscene.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Maybe all of Big Boss's dominant genes were the superior ones? I mean, they were the genes that got expressed, and he was ~the ultimate soldier~.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I changed my mind, drink every time Grace says "Ten out of ten."

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

CirclMastr posted:

I changed my mind, drink every time Grace says "Ten out of ten."

I was going to save this for after the last episode, but I want to show you guys the difference between Grace and my naming conventions.

Can you guess who's who?

Bonus points for having "10 out of 10" in the name of EPISODE NINE

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You're both monsters for not putting the number at the START of the filenames so they stay in order.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Dabir posted:

You're both monsters for not putting the number at the START of the filenames so they stay in order.

My file order is always immaculate :colbert:

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!
In all fairness, at least Grace was kind enough to have the video number in the file name. There is nothing worse than recording multiple episodes at once and then seeing that all your co-commentators decided to make jokes instead of being decent human beings... not that I'm bitter...

Also during the Rex fight, it is very easy to get behind Rex by running beneath his legs, and allows a nice big blind spot to work with. As long as a Chaff is active your shouldn't have any issues with the dick laser or getting stomped.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Drinking words: Grace says "You did it!" Double if it's sarcastically.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Iron Chitlin posted:

In all fairness, at least Grace was kind enough to have the video number in the file name. There is nothing worse than recording multiple episodes at once and then seeing that all your co-commentators decided to make jokes instead of being decent human beings... not that I'm bitter...

Also during the Rex fight, it is very easy to get behind Rex by running beneath his legs, and allows a nice big blind spot to work with. As long as a Chaff is active your shouldn't have any issues with the dick laser or getting stomped.

In fact, even without chaff if you're far enough back the laser can't get you. You can totally cheese the second part of the battle, trivializing it.

Also, while we're complaining about Liquid's speech, apparently by the game's own internal timeline, the genome soldiers are less than a decade old.

Also, Liquid's understanding of asymmetry theory is LITERALLY the opposite of how things actually are in nature. Nature adores symmetry, both reflective (like in most bi or quadrapedal animals, and even in leaves) and radial (like, starfish and stuff) forms. If you play spore, it is very difficult to create an asymmetrical creature, the engine abhors it.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

genome

hack

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

In fact, even without chaff if you're far enough back the laser can't get you. You can totally cheese the second part of the battle, trivializing it.

Also, while we're complaining about Liquid's speech, apparently by the game's own internal timeline, the genome soldiers are less than a decade old.

Also, Liquid's understanding of asymmetry theory is LITERALLY the opposite of how things actually are in nature. Nature adores symmetry, both reflective (like in most bi or quadrapedal animals, and even in leaves) and radial (like, starfish and stuff) forms. If you play spore, it is very difficult to create an asymmetrical creature, the engine abhors it.

Yeah, one of the defining features of the Big Bad Guy Race is that they're asymmetrical. Try and make them yourself, you can't, sticking something to one side of a creature creates a duplicate on the other side.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

pointlessone posted:

Drinking words: Grace says "You did it!" Double if it's sarcastically.

I guarantee Grace has never said that unsarcastically.

Choco1980 posted:

How scary is it that SPORE got genetics right more than Liquid did :psyduck: Liquid I love you bro but read a book once in a while.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Checking this out now that you've gotten this far.

Looking forward to see how many shots of Jack playing Jack nets you.

EDIT: I entered my name as Fabio in MGS2 and I was not disappointed.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 6, 2015

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Symmetry is how we consider beauty. Like that is really how we quantify beauty is how symmetrical someone is. It's why things like masking eyes or even half of a face really fucks with our recognition.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Danaru posted:

I guarantee Grace has never said that unsarcastically.

I noticed :getin:

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009
In the MGS universe does wearing sexy jeans give you sexy genes?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Hammurabi posted:

In the MGS universe does wearing sexy jeans give you sexy genes?

Incredibly stupid question.

Is Otacon the only person in the MGS universe to be seen wearing a pair of jeans?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

:siren:Let's Play Metal Gear Solid Episode 13 - Dave And Hal's Big Adventure:siren:

Imagine playing Metal Gear Solid, except Mei Ling keeps calling you up and telling you how garbage you are at sneaking and fighting anyone.

That's this entire LP.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Escape
The Best Is Yet To Come

God, even aftr all these years, these songs still hit me so hard. I'll never forget Escape and when Liquid reappeared. "YOU STILL AREN'T DEAD????"

Let's all take a moment to remember everything Liquid Snake survived:
A Hind D crash
Being hit by Stinger missiles
Being inside a giant robot as said robot blew up.
Falling off the top of the giant robot
Being crushed under a car

And yet after all of this he thought he was the inferior one... Liquid, you loving say falling off Rex will kill Snake. Yet it can't kill you. Put 2 and 2 together, buddy.

And of course since Meryl died, the Ocelot call at the end didn't mention Solidus at all.

Also I love the MGS2 credits song. It's so jazzy and fits with how absolutely in love with New York Kojima was at the time.

Anyway, great LP so far. I won't lie, I'm most looking forward to your MGS2 playthrough.

P.S.

Jennifer Hale's British accent might not be the best but it still beats whatever the hell she was doing in Twin Snakes and 4. I love Hale I could only play Mass Effect with FemShep because of this. But the director in TTS and 4 must have told her "NEVER EMOTE. BE AS BORED AS POSSIBLE."

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 7, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

Let's all take a moment to remember everything Liquid Snake survived:
A Hind D crash
Being hit by Stinger missiles
Being inside a giant robot as said robot blew up.
Falling off the top of the giant robot
Being crushed under a car

And yet after all of this he thought he was the inferior one... Liquid, you loving say falling off Rex will kill Snake. Yet it can't kill you. Put 2 and 2 together, buddy.

You forgot "Walking around Alaska in the winter without a shirt". He probably died of hypothermia before FOXDIE.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Drinking game ideas:

Nanomachine(s) <-def this one
President
La-li-lu-le-lo
Patriots
Bomb
Metal Gear

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

Drinking game ideas:

President
La-li-lu-le-lo
Patriots
Bomb
Metal Gear

Don't do this one if you're playing 4. You literally will not survive.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

Drinking game ideas:

This one we absolutely must save for MGS4.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I don't think it's even mentioned in 2, except maybe for explaining why they don't freeze to death underwater.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm pretty sure they are mentioned like, once or twice every few hours at best. The only example that springs immediately to mind is that Otacon says they are part of what helped create the Colonel.

Nanomachines pre-MGS4 always served kind of background fluff and/or gameplay mechanic purposes. They existed but they weren't the source of EVERYTHING EVER.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

chitoryu12 posted:

Don't do this one if you're playing 4. You literally will not survive.

Nanomachines is going to be a drinking word for all of MGS4, executive order :getin:

Also just to bring it up, I've got a list of drinking words, and before each recording session (usually 3-5 episodes), I'll run a quick RNG to add two or three drinking words to the list

-Always Drinking Words
Jack
Patriots of LaLiLuLeLo

-RNG list
Nanomachines
Nuclear
Codec
Exercise
Snake
Genome
Hack
Bomb
President

-Only on the list for Plant
Memes
VR Training

-Only on the list for Tanker
Marines
Russian

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Danaru posted:

Nanomachines is going to be a drinking word for all of MGS4, executive order :getin:

Also just to bring it up, I've got a list of drinking words, and before each recording session (usually 3-5 episodes), I'll run a quick RNG to add two or three drinking words to the list

-Always Drinking Words
Jack
Patriots of LaLiLuLeLo

-RNG list
Nanomachines
Nuclear
Codec
Exercise
Snake
Genome
Hack
Bomb
President

-Only on the list for Plant
Memes
VR Training

-Only on the list for Tanker
Marines
Russian

This is gonna be good.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I was serious about mine. They come up often enough to make a drinking game, but not often enough to cause alcohol poisoning.

Edit: oh poo poo I posted to slowly official list up.
:stare:
Yup, yeah that should do it. Beware of monologues on your adventure.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 7, 2015

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
Straight to MGS2 then, no VR Intermissions?

NikkolasKing posted:

The accelerated aging thing has been one of the few consistent aspects of Metal Gear Solid. It's part of MGS2 as well.
Been since MGS4's launch since I've seen the game so I've forgotten, is the aging thing due to FoxDie, being a clone, or nanomachines?

Hammurabi posted:

Kojima's "Liquid doesn't understand genetics" excuse would work a lot better if everyone else including genetic scientist Naomi didn't seem to believe the same nonsense.
Liquid can be excused since he seems like the pretty boy jock type, but nobody else calling him out on his BS was pretty dumb.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!

pick-e posted:

Been since MGS4's launch since I've seen the game so I've forgotten, is the aging thing due to FoxDie, being a clone, or nanomachines?
Him being a clone is what causes the aging as that feature was programmed into him and all the other Sons of Big Boss. FoxDie was just mutating into a new strain of virus on its own, and the nanomachines did whatever the plot demanded because loving nanomachines.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

pick-e posted:

Straight to MGS2 then, no VR Intermissions?

Liquid can be excused since he seems like the pretty boy jock type, but nobody else calling him out on his BS was pretty dumb.

MGS2 HD DOES include the Substance VR missions, and we'll probably end up playing a few just because they're pretty fun, but unfortunately I don't own the PS1 VR missions disk :( Which is a shame since they're also fun as hell.

With that said, we did realize MG and MG2 are included with MGS3 :getin:

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Danaru posted:

You are so loving dead. But it's gonna be glorious.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I don't think the word "Memes" is actually used in MGS2. If it is, it's very, very rare. Oh the concept is all over the place but I always thought of the game's main theme being Nurture. After all, MGS1 was Nature, dealing heavily with the fact Snake is a clone and if that fact prevents him from being his own person. MGS2 deals with how we are raised (Nurture) and if that absolutely determines who we become.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't think the word "Memes" is actually used in MGS2. If it is, it's very, very rare. Oh the concept is all over the place but I always thought of the game's main theme being Nurture. After all, MGS1 was Nature, dealing heavily with the fact Snake is a clone and if that fact prevents him from being his own person. MGS2 deals with how we are raised (Nurture) and if that absolutely determines who we become.

I'm pretty sure it's used, but Revengeance makes a bigger deal of its usage.

Monsoon: "Memes. The DNA of the soul. They shape our will. They are the culture -- they are everything we pass on. Expose someone to anger long enough, they will learn to hate. They become a carrier. Envy, greed, despair... All memes. All passed along."

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well. I looked at the game script.
All I can say is this is how it begins

I'm quite sad about one thing.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 8, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmmQxXPOMMY

I will repost this video until the end of time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

"Sam tells me that you see your sword as a tool of justice. Now there's a pretty meme! Exquisite!"

"Don't be so ashamed! It's just nature! Running its course!"