Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

larchesdanrew posted:

Eh? Never been a problem for me. What's the deal?

Someone sends something that's very private/legally protected/commercially sensitive to someone very important but mistypes the email and you get it instead. Will they appreciate you reading their very private/legally protected/commercially sensitive email?

What the heck is wrong with a straight "wrong email dumbass!" mailer daemon error?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

larchesdanrew posted:

Where I work messages sent to incorrect addresses are just trashed at the gateway, and no messages are sent out. Primarily this is done to prevent people guessing addresses. As far as a catchall, no one really wants to manage something like that, and its an amazing vector for poo poo that someone might fuckup and open by mistake.
Also personal details in a message could be an issue as well. Plus, you can teach people a very important lesson in spelling.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

NZAmoeba posted:

Someone sends something that's very private/legally protected/commercially sensitive to someone very important but mistypes the email and you get it instead. Will they appreciate you reading their very private/legally protected/commercially sensitive email?

That's entirely the sender's responsibility, not yours as mail administrator.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

larchesdanrew posted:

Usually spam floods and mailbox quotas for our small business customers.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Enkmar posted:

I have a situation where a client needs someone to come look for bugs as well as comb through cell phones and hard drives with a fine toothed comb in the LA area. Willing to pay, anyone have anyone they can recommend? There are too many sheisty people

What the hell are you asking for here?

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Inspector_666 posted:

What the hell are you asking for here?

sorry was distracted when I was typing it out. Have someone going through breakup with ex police and it's becoming apparent that there are listening devices present in the household and I was just wondering if anyone knew anyone who could do the whole shebang of security analysis in a residential setting. It's a little above my level of expertise and I want to make sure nothing slips through the cracks. If anyone has a reputable source for this sort of thing in the LA area we are certainly willing to spend the money.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

This just seems appropriate for this thread.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Enkmar posted:

sorry was distracted when I was typing it out. Have someone going through breakup with ex police and it's becoming apparent that there are listening devices present in the household and I was just wondering if anyone knew anyone who could do the whole shebang of security analysis in a residential setting. It's a little above my level of expertise and I want to make sure nothing slips through the cracks. If anyone has a reputable source for this sort of thing in the LA area we are certainly willing to spend the money.

Hire ghost hunters.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
About a month ago, we got a request from one of our customers for a Windows 7 ISO. Our SPLA doesn't provide desktop OSes, so we asked them what they were trying to do. Then they told us that they were having VPN issues, so they want to run VirtualBox inside of one of the VMs we've sold them, install a desktop OS, and then make their VPN work. (They need to use a VM inside of a VM, because their VPN client doesn't support split tunnel mode, for "security reasons", and they don't have console access to the VM so it kicks them off.) So, we offer them a server OS, and then they try to install Server 2008R2. Then they find out VT-x isn't enabled, and ask us to go into the BIOS to turn it on, at which point we tell them that we can't just go into the BIOS because it's a VM. I don't know if the guy who told them that wants to discourage this bullshit or if he actually doesn't know to turn VT-x explicitly on. I decided against correcting him in case it's the former.

But, the best part, the absolute best part about this whole bullshit, is that the VM that the customer has chosen to install VirtualBox on, has a single vCPU and 4GB of memory.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Enkmar posted:

Sounds like they need a good lawyer.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Our newly deployed application hasn't had any issues for a solid month, and therefore has 100% uptime? Time to tell clients that we have over 6 nines :downs:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

larchesdanrew posted:

Yep, it's a good catchall for mistyped addresses.

That's insane. What do you do? Just monitor the admin account and forward emails to the right person? I... I... I just don't understand why anyone would think that job was necessary. Mistyped an email address? Bounce that fucker. I have better things to do [like not making cat-5 cables].

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

KennyTheFish posted:

Sounds like they need a good lawyer.

yeah we went there, if you can vet a good business or something that does this pm me, if not nevermind

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I don't know about security analysis but some earplugs and Slayer playing at maximum volume is a good stopgap measure.

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007

Enkmar posted:

Just go to one of them spy stores/google some stuff buy stuff they're easy to use and you can find a lot on youtube as well. You can find some stuff online that'll do the trick since they monitor for RF or whatever the bugs put out. As for checking out your networks and stuff, if you're savvy enough and can RTFM I suggest Kali on a usb stick/live distro and run that on the machines you think are infected with any bugs/software.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

NZAmoeba posted:

What the heck is wrong with a straight "wrong email dumbass!" mailer daemon error?

At one of my previous companies, I had the same first name as the owner. I got copied on sensitive salary emails a few times which was. Pretty depressing.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Demonachizer posted:

I am not tracking this. If they are CCing their manager why do you care at all? They could just be making sure that their manager understands what was going on for their own internal reasons. I never personally cared if people we CCed on poo poo and the higher up the better because then I could respond CCing the entire group when I did a good job. Then people know I do good work...

Where I work, people CC their manager so that the manager can send an email 2 minutes later with "FIX PLEASE THEY REALLY REALLY NEED THIS" as if we weren't already going to loving fix it. The sad part is that here it works. But hey, I :yotj: so shortly it won't be my problem I guess?

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

MJP posted:

Salesforce support: because the printers aren't broken yet today and something else has to be a horrible boondoggle.

Do you use the Outlook plugin? Literally everyday someone pipes up to tell me its closed on its own, such an unreliable tool.

anthonypants posted:

I've worked at one job where my boss attempted to micromanage everything and required us to cc her on any email that would leave her department. So she would know what's going on.

My old long fired manager kept bothering me about this, so I had her auto CC'd on every single message of mine. Eventually she got the hint and told me not to CC again, then a few months later complained why am I not copying her into things, rinse repeat etc etc...

CitizenKain posted:

Where I work messages sent to incorrect addresses are just trashed at the gateway, and no messages are sent out. Primarily this is done to prevent people guessing addresses. As far as a catchall, no one really wants to manage something like that, and its an amazing vector for poo poo that someone might fuckup and open by mistake.
Also personal details in a message could be an issue as well. Plus, you can teach people a very important lesson in spelling.

Our sales guys have a habit of not being able to actually write, so now an again we get a mispelled customer E-mail address. Every single time we get a bounceback the assigned agent for that customer will come over to me with a printout of the bounceback error E-mail and tell me something is wrong, I know error messages come with a bunch of technobabble; but just read the line "The address does not exist" and call them up or something goddamn.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Really, why do email delivery failure notifications always bury the actual error message? It tends to be prefixed by five paragraphs of nonsense nobody cares about, and additionally wrapped in a bunch of additional protocol junk.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

nielsm posted:

Really, why do email delivery failure notifications always bury the actual error message? It tends to be prefixed by five paragraphs of nonsense nobody cares about, and additionally wrapped in a bunch of additional protocol junk.

Email systems are designed and maintained by turbo-nerds. Also a system that wasn't really ever intended to escape a real limited use.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

nielsm posted:

http://blogs.office.com/2015/04/17/enhanced-non-delivery-reports-ndrs-in-office-365/

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

:stwoon:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
"User unknown" is really more than people can be expected to understand

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

a voicemail came in.

"hey Laserface, I know you're not on call but David isnt answering his phone and power is out at head office. everything is down. OK well cya"

:stare:

check email, sure enough the BladeUPS is reporting AC power under of tolerance. then reporting it is over tolerance. then cleared all alerts. then over tolerance. over and over and over. Then battery low, then Battery low UPS shutdown. WELP.

So the BladeUPS kicked in when the power went out, as did the generator, which then proceeded to stay on for a full 10 minutes (presumably because otherwise it would cause wear on it, I think the Genny guy told me)

But when the AC was restored a mere 3 minutes after the outage, the supplied AC was too high, so the BladeUPS continued to run off batteries to ensure nothing got too much juice I guess?

and then that ran the batteries flat and everything went down.

Get to office and the Dev who reported it is there. he has powered everything up. There is an order to how this all comes back online, but the documentation is on Confluence. Which is a VM on the Blade Chassis cluster.

Anyway long story short the physical servers all came online but we couldnt access the VM cluster directly, we could only log into each host via vSphere individually. We also couldnt use AD credentials like we normally do, so we had to dig through Keypass records that were poorly named til we found the correct Root password. Someone literally entered the password into Keypass as "The Administrator password" (which I didnt know, despite having asked for it for scenarios just like this one). Im guessing the Blade Chassis didnt commit its latest IP address?

None of the Programming of VM start orders had taken place.

This entire time, the Sysadmin who is supposed to be on-call is not responding to text or phone calls.

So once I logged into our three VM hosts I just booted loving everything and it all came good.

Monday is a public holiday, so Tuesday is gonna be interesting as gently caress.

(Print out all your important credentials and server addresses/names and your system boot orders on a piece of paper in a sealed envelope in a safe or locked drawer because having all your DR stuff sitting on a VM that doesnt start automatically is loving ridiculous)

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
Can anybody think of a reasonable explanation for why, when I load an employees Outlook profile then tell Outlook to auto archive it only grabs a few folders, and leaves most of the mailbox exactly as is?

Doing the archiving on their systems using their accounts gives the EXACT same result.

My boss does the same process today and it works as intended, archives all emails older than <date>.

He says he has the same level of access that I do but.. Is it possible that we don't? Are there other levels of access in (exchange 2010) that I might not have been granted?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Laserface posted:

(Print out all your important credentials and server addresses/names and your system boot orders on a piece of paper in a sealed envelope in a safe or locked drawer because having all your DR stuff sitting on a VM that doesnt start automatically is loving ridiculous)

I had something very similar happen to me. Had to reboot my file server. File server share drives are encrypted with bitlocker. Keepass database with all the volume bitlocker passwords? Stored on one of those encrypted volumes.

Thank gently caress I had the recovery keys printed to cardstock and stuffed in my safe, otherwise I would have been completely hosed.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Two tickets this week where the problem was the device was unplugged. One of which I had to drive to in order to plug in because even though they told me it was plugged in it wasn't. Fucksakes people. :doh:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I can't stop listening to this. It's both humorous and horrifying. It begs to be turned into some heavy metal techno internet meme.
I think I just found my new ringtone.

You brought this on yourself.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

drukqs posted:

Can anybody think of a reasonable explanation for why, when I load an employees Outlook profile then tell Outlook to auto archive it only grabs a few folders, and leaves most of the mailbox exactly as is?

Doing the archiving on their systems using their accounts gives the EXACT same result.

My boss does the same process today and it works as intended, archives all emails older than <date>.

He says he has the same level of access that I do but.. Is it possible that we don't? Are there other levels of access in (exchange 2010) that I might not have been granted?

When I ran into something like this happening, this was the cause: http://www.msoutlook.info/question/541, dunno if that'll help you any.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

MJP posted:

Salesforce support: because the printers aren't broken yet today and something else has to be a horrible boondoggle.

I've been doing Salesforce consulting for almost 9 years now and the (rare) occasions I have to call their support are definitely the worst part of my job.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Mo_Steel posted:

Two tickets this week where the problem was the device was unplugged. One of which I had to drive to in order to plug in because even though they told me it was plugged in it wasn't. Fucksakes people. :doh:

I should grab just the "Not getting any email, not getting any error code, and I'm going out of my mind!" as set it as the work email 'tone.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

go3 posted:

"User unknown" is really more than people can be expected to understand

"The user isn't unknown, I've emailed at this address for years. Stop loving around and fix this!"

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

you're beautiful

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Mo_Steel posted:

This is great :allears:

Inovius
Apr 7, 2010

You beautiful bastard this is outstanding.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Asmodai_00 posted:

Oh hey while you're here can you fix this keyboard? It's sticky and I have no idea why...

Edit:

:nms: This keyboard isn't NSFW but god help you if you try to do more research on it. :nms:

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jun 8, 2015

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Don't remind me man. :barf:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Jesus gently caress why did I even think to go searching for the source of that

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

I kinda forgot this thread existed, but I started working in IT a couple months ago and I was reminded of some things I should post here. Here's a ticket I need to close out tomorrow:

:) Hi, we'd like to setup an automated backup of the company Dropbox to Google Drive. We're thinking monthly or bi-monthly. We've currently got 385.5 GB stored on our Dropbox for Business & we've got Unlimited Google Apps so unlimited Google Drive storage.
:v: I certainly can create a method of backing up [company]'s Dropbox to Google Drive, but I'm not sure it's necessary... Dropbox Business accounts come with unlimited storage as well, and because it's a cloud-hosting solution, they already have backup and redundancy systems in place to keep all your data safe. Is there any particular reason that you would like this set up?
:) We'd just like to create an extra backup in case anything catastrophic should occur w/ Dropbox. Our business relies on these documents.
:v: Even in the event of a complete, catastrophic server failure at Dropbox, however, all of [company]'s data would still be locally stored and up-to-date on every employee's computer (as long as they had Dropbox installed and it had recently synced, which it does in real-time). Keeping this in mind, it would be a simple matter of then taking all that data from any one of the computers and uploading it all to a different cloud-hosting service. Basically, it's nearly impossible that all the data would ever be lost for good.
:) I realize how extremely redundant this is but [company CEO] would still like to take the extra precaution.
:suicide:

Also, I recently set up Boot Camp for a user's MacBook Pro. Why he bought an Apple product is beyond me, because he had been exclusively using Windows 7 on it through Parallels, and the VM file was almost 75% of the entire SSD. I carefully backed up all his data so I could shrink the OS X partition as small as possible, then finished the process of reinstallation of Windows and all his programs and such. Took a few hours to make sure everything seemed pretty much exactly how it was before.

I get a ticket a week later from the same guy asking for a Lenovo Thinkpad to be spec'd out for him. We told you to do that in the first place!

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Edit:

:nms: This keyboard isn't NSFW but god help you if you try to do more research on it. :nms:

Memories :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Edit:

I got to the :awesome: and scrolled down to the end before my brain had even properly registered what it had just seen.

• Locked thread