Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Oh god, did Finn just win the final battle by using The Secret?

Best part of the episode(s) was probably Gunter/Orgalorg turning out to be a Jack Nicholson soundalike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Meat reality is a hell of a drug.

ChumpsForChange
Jun 2, 2011
This show probably isn't for me anymore, I just want more stuff like Mortal Folly/Recoil and the type of humor found in the pilot and early seasons. Finn being something other than just a kid going on adventures and all the pseudophilosophy surrounding that is kind of the last straw.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It seems like we had several people quit last season finale, too.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
As :tinfoil: as the whole episode was it did manage to keep things surprisingly light which worked both for and against it. It didn't have the feeling of stakes of previous finales but it was a lot funnier than those too. The scene where the comet just listing things in particular was pretty great.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Tig Notaro was the catalyst comet.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

program666 posted:

Yeah but what about that stuff about the universal intention stuff he does? I thought they were kind of explaining Finn's luck with that.

Nah, don't forget that Finn actually has the previously established ability to call on butterflies. That's how he brought the moth to him, but this time he was lucky and there was a badass space-butterfly nearby. And banana man can easily be explained without "universal intention", too, they were helped out by someone they had helped in the past.

I choose to believe Finn was grasping at straws and totally wrong with his idea about things happening because of the will of the universe. The will of the universe was to smash the catalyst comet into Ooo, that's the normal system. What happened with Orgalorg breaking the comet open, and then it meeting up with someone who's a reincarnation of a comet is a massive glitch in the system, it was never supposed to happen at all. As the comet says, it was "unprecidented".

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I feel you, I too want to believe

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

A friend of mine told me it was time for the Adventure Time season finale. I sort of stopped following Adventure Time at some point, not for any particular reason, but poo poo that finale was crazy weird. Once the comet cracked open I was basically completely lost. I had no idea what the comet was talking about choice, and apparently Finn knows a whole bunch about this stuff because of his past life as a comet? Maybe? And this ties into the other comets, like the one that turned into the Lich?

Unless I missed something PB's still living in that hut though, so that's a pretty interesting change. It miiiight be enough to get me to try and watch the rest of this season that I skipped and try to figure out what's going on these days.

Edit - wait Finn was a god? I thought he was just wishing for things and got lucky because heroes always get lucky when they need it, not because he's a comet-boy.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 6, 2015

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Of course, what is most likely to happen is that this universe intention power will never be brought up again, no matter what the explanation even is. This is also probably true for the whole Finn comet thing, Finn's green arm thing and Finn's cosmic conscious thing. Any or all of these themes will only be even mentioned on the 2 or 3 most meaningful episodes next season, and that includes the finale, and Finn will only be a god again when he finally fights his dad that will also be a god. Fin.

Edit: oh and all of this will basically render this finale meaningless since most events will have no influence on future episodes, including PB's hut that will backpedaled next time it shows up or on the one time after next time.

program666 fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 6, 2015

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think saying Finn is a God is overstating it. He comes from something that came from one of the comets. Not directly though. He isn't like Gunther who has been living through the ages, ageless and immortal with powers he cant' remember. As has been pretty much established, he has lived many other lives and they have been as mortals. He doesn't seem to have any special comet powers or anything like that, just something deep inside him that is connected with something bigger. This isn't really different from any other fantasy hero with some sort of destiny, they just sort of put it in a weirder way because that's how AT rolls.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I agree with you to a certain point, I'll still hold the fact that he summoned both a moth and a banana man as a minor proof on the contrary.
But my biggest problem is probably the disconnect of this finally both from episodes in the past, since this Finn-comet thing was a reveal with practically no build up except from some few sparse episodes, and future episodes since it will be mostly forgotten.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Chekhov's thorn.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I hope Martin comes back.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
He'll be in Prismo's wish chamber, repeatedly reincarnating himself so he can get infinite wishes.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I still really like this show, but posting about it in this thread is just no fun any more now that it mostly consists of people attempting vaguely to articulate that they want it to be something else.

Orgalorg was kind of a nothing antagonist, hence the Tom Kenny voice. Reminds me a bit of Satan from Forming. It seems as though they're just disposing of old dangling plot hooks rather than building them up into something dramatic. Drama doesn't suit Adventure Time; the goofiness would undermine it. A sudden swerve into scary, pensive, or allegorical, sure - those are all about revealing a new significance to something trivial, and are therefore ultimately jokes. But to build up something serious is another matter.

Season 6 in retrospect revolved around mutual dissatisfaction between creators and their creations. Sometimes that means art, sometimes children. Ice King brought his furniture to life and, in addition to the basic joke about how he's an incredibly clueless hypocrite and every word out of his mouth is wrong, they wondered if creating life made them like their creator. We saw Jake and Prismo create copies of each other from nothing. Jake's family showed up a lot and of course Martin was all over the place. Sweet P was created. Evergreen created a legacy. Finn got high and waxed philosophical on this topic. Even Cuber dug up a thought cabin that could create things. PB's learning to let her own creations go, though of course she's waffled a bit on that.

Then we see Finn confront the comet. Because he is the reincarnation of an earlier one, it addresses him as its creator. Offered a choice to be like his successor, a comet again, he declines - and in that moment forgives his own creator, whose nature differs from his own and who himself chose a "lower" existence devoid of wisdom and empathy.

Betty and Magic Man gave us a preview of some stuff from the next season: magic, madness, and sadness. But it's likely to be different than anything I predict.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

This is good post and it's a shame that this thread is often a bummer

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Season 6 in retrospect revolved around mutual dissatisfaction between creators and their creations.

I've been privately calling this theme "Bad Dads".

If you didn't see a Bad Dad in an episode this last season, it was often (though not universally) about dissatisfaction over an absent Bad Dad.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I really liked the finale. Although I really hope they don't bring back Orgalorg. I kinda hated when it was even a thing. I liked when Marceline's dad calling Gunther the most evil thing in the universe was a funny gag, not foreshadowing. Orgalorg shoulda just been its own thing.

e: My favorite line in both episodes was probably just PepBut trying to get PB to run with the acknowledgment that "the candy people are really dumb".

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Finn being a god who can will events into existence makes stuff like this make so much more sense!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QecuIaGzW1Q

"this is hard! how can you control my body so well?"

answer: he's a god.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I'm rather surprised Bubblegum didn't just decide to bum it with Marceline immediately. Then again, it is Marceline and her house probably smells kind of funny.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
More foreshadowing.
Jake the Brick.

Magic + Madness + Sadness.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

^^ nice catch!

TwoPair posted:

I really liked the finale. Although I really hope they don't bring back Orgalorg. I kinda hated when it was even a thing. I liked when Marceline's dad calling Gunther the most evil thing in the universe was a funny gag, not foreshadowing. Orgalorg shoulda just been its own thing.

Yeah, I was happy to accept that Gunter was the most evil thing in the universe just because.

On the other hand, the montage of Gunter/Orgalorg's experiences on earth was pretty amusing.

So not all bad.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 3, 2018

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

That moral was certainly undermined by the story. There's nothing wrong with the moral itself, but... Finn sticks to his friends and his life, but the past season has focused little on Finn and how he relates to his friends and life. So there's no real narrative basis for it, it's just kind of meh.

It was a weird and funny adventure, but ruined by a poorly-executed moral.
You know we've spent 6 seasons and multiple years focusing on how Finn relates to his friends and his life so his decision to stay a human and continue to enjoy his mortal life shouldn't be a shocker to anyone. To say that there's no real narrative basis for it is to admit that you weren't paying attention to the show at all.

G-III fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 6, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

G-III posted:

You know we've spent 6 seasons and multiple years focusing on how Finn relates to his friends and his life so his decision to stay a human and continue to enjoy his mortal life shouldn't be a shocker to anyone.

That, too.

e: It's particularly funny when the finale is about stopping an agent of change. It's the moment subtext becomes text, and the show becomes about maintaining the status quo. And I don't mean the weird way fans use it where it means nothing ("Everything is back to normal! This is bad!"). It's the status quo of non-creativity, where the show has become obsessed with its own trappings. Like how the season-spanning storyline was already told in a single episode in Season 1, and it doesn't add on that at all.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jun 6, 2015

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
You know, seeing as Gunter is Orgalorg, it raises questions. Like what kind of terrible monster lurks beneath the eyes of Gunter Jr?

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Everybody, there's a new king in town.

Get ready.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

That, too.

e: It's particularly funny when the finale is about stopping an agent of change. It's the moment subtext becomes text, and the show becomes about maintaining the status quo. And I don't mean the weird way fans use it where it means nothing ("Everything is back to normal! This is bad!"). It's the status quo of non-creativity, where the show has become obsessed with its own trappings. Like how the season-spanning storyline was already told in a single episode in Season 1, and it doesn't add on that at all.

The finale wasn't really about stopping an agent of change. Finn was totally cool with it, PB seemed to just want to observe it. Orgalorg just wanted it for power and junk. And Finn and Jake were trying to stop him from stopping the comet. The comet not hitting earth was kind of an unexpected side effect. So I don't really get how that implies anything.

MojoKingBee fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 6, 2015

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ramos posted:

I'm rather surprised Bubblegum didn't just decide to bum it with Marceline immediately. Then again, it is Marceline and her house probably smells kind of funny.

I'm surprised Finn and Jake didn't invite her to stay at the treehouse too.

An episode of PB trying to stay with each of her friends would be amazing.

Edit: Despite the complaints, this two-parter felt like classic Adventure Time to me. There was a Big Problem, and Finn and Jake went to fix it with no plan and nothing quite goes how you'd expect. The only difference is that what would once have been random non sequiturs are instead tied to things that happened in previous episodes, which to me makes the world feel more cohesive.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 6, 2015

Disconnecticus
Oct 21, 2012

Wait, like, actual money?
I think the fun falls out of the show if you try to take the symbolic/metaphorical elements seriously seriously. There's a rough line of thought behind it all, but it's secondary to or in service of the stupid parts (at least in the best episodes). Which is as it should be.

Orgalorg and the comet's transfigured designs reminded me of angels in Eva a bit. I don't think there's anything deep behind this, it just made me go hah.

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Everybody, there's a new king in town.

Get ready.
According to a post from the official tumblr, Adventure Time will return in fall.

Well.... that blows.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So my friend and I watched the finale last night, and the episodes before that were likely relevant. We noticed some things:

Gold Stars: Sweet Pea gets swindled by the King of Ooo, and at the end SP freaks out KoO. They run off ditching all their bling, which SP gives to his parents. In the KoO/LSP episode, the house seems much larger, maybe more sections to the house, and furnished better. :v:

In the Cosmic Owl dream, we noticed some things about Finn's dream. Orgalorge (as the peacock) comes in and steals the disco ball (bright light/comet). Martin calls the comet a bright light as his moth starts to fly towards it. The dream also shows Martin moving beyond Finn's reach, as he's stuck in place.

We were also really worried that Jake was going to croak in the last episode, as that was almost entirely his croak dream. He's in space with Banana Man after all. We figured that something was going to happen to that spaceship, killing Jake for the finale.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I'm not an AT historian, so what's the current status of the snail. Is he still evil or something, and still in every episode?

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Gromit posted:

I'm not an AT historian, so what's the current status of the snail. Is he still evil or something, and still in every episode?

far as i know he's no longer evil, and still in every episode

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I've just realised what Moynihan's episodes remind me of. We had this professor back at Uni, who would teach us strictly by the book. To appear more approachable he would make an odd joke in the middle of a barrage of terminology or give out sweets to attentive students. But outside of those flares of goofiness, it was all dry theory with little explanation or going into details. In the end many people only remembered his humorous quips and vaguely understood that the course was hard to pass.

I liked the first episode of this week, because it was rather straightforward and self-contained, but the finale just made me roll my eyes with that purple thing's monologue. Oh look, it's deep, but also funny at the very same time, isn't that a weird blend?

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Instead of really resolving anything it was mostly just "here's a purple thing and it says something 'deep'"

They had a lot of cool dominos set up but instead of knocking them down they picked them up, put them back in the box and talked about philosophy maybe.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
So Finn had a grassy arm in space, and then when he gets out of the ship he has a regular arm.

What's up with that?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Maybe it was just an effect of the fully powered leaf sword and only comes out when he's using the weapon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

nerdbot posted:

Instead of really resolving anything it was mostly just "here's a purple thing and it says something 'deep'"

They had a lot of cool dominos set up but instead of knocking them down they picked them up, put them back in the box and talked about philosophy maybe.

It's about looking through the world with multiple perspectives and accepting what comes. You must accept the good with the bad. The pain with the pleasure. The fartsy with the artsy.

• Locked thread