Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Smoking Crow posted:

I want to get into that old Chinese literature, but all of those novels are really really really long. Like makes Tolstoy look like Dr. Seuss long

Chinese characters contain whole words so if you learn Chinese the books will be like 5x shorter plus you'll find a job when Chinese overlords come to enslave the west. Also, Romance of Three Kingdoms kicks rear end and if others are half as good it'd probably be worth it for real

mallamp fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jun 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
Speaking of the two most recent topics of conversation, did y'all know they made a video game out of Journey to the West

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

End Of Worlds posted:

Speaking of the two most recent topics of conversation, did y'all know they made a video game out of Journey to the West

I liked it.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

End Of Worlds posted:

There are a lot of classical Chinese lit games. The most famous one is Suikoden, based on Water Margin or All Men Are Brothers

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

There's also Okami, a videogame based entirely on Japanese mythology and folklore, and it owns

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

And Dynasty Warriors is Romance of the Three Kingdoms but very not canon

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

Raxivace posted:

One Hundred Years of Solitude progress- Man, Colonel Aureliano Buendia has done hosed up massively by leaving Arcadio in charge of Macondo, jesus christ.

"Take care of the village while I'm away! Be a good leader!"

"Okie dokie! I will!" *Becomes savage dictator, terrorizing the people and murdering citizens for the smallest of petty offenses. Becomes so power hungry he nearly rapes his own biological mother. After an armed offensive in Macondo, all of his soldiers are killed, and Arcadio is ultimately executed for all his nonsense.*

This novel is some crazy poo poo, this last chapter in particular being really good. I can't stop reading.

"Remember, there were over three thousand of them, and they were all thrown into the sea." I will always admire Marquez' desire to memorialize and record everything for what it is, and the importance of recognizing and remembering even these horrid acts. That's why that line has stuck with me so much. (e: spoilered line since I'm not sure if it's a spoiler or not at the point at which you are.)

I haven't been a very good reader for the past couple of years, but when people ask me for book recommendations, and they're more used to genre-type books I point them to Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go. (Searched and saw it hadn't been mentioned here yet.) One of the things I notice about "genre" fiction is the way they use a twist. Usually, a "genre" work will wait until the end and use it as a way to Blow the Reader's Mind, when the story would be so much more interesting if it explored the ramifications of that twist. Never Let Me Go, while sci-fi, puts everything on the table from nearly the very beginning, taking a much-used sci-fi element and using it to write what might be the most depressing book ever. It was the first time I had to set down a book and walk away from it for a while, and it was within the first ten pages. The venom laying right under the surface of Ishiguro's subtlety, particularly in the way he uses euphemism, is incredible.

Electric Lady fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 4, 2015

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

pepperoni and keys
Sep 7, 2011

I think about food literally all day every day. It's a thing.
Quit Being a loving Child and Play Some Real Video Games

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Anyway I think I'm going to read Jane Eyre next

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Smoking Crow posted:

Anyway I think I'm going to read Jane Eyre next

Read Wide Sargasso Sea afterwards

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Read Wide Sargasso Sea afterwards

I need to second this. Wide Sargasso Sea vindicates Jane Eyre's existence.

I first read it in a class on captivity/slave narratives surrounding the Atlantic Ocean. Another book I'd recommend from that class is Lose Your Mother by Saidiya Hartman. It's nonfiction but carries a lot of literary weight as the author details her field research in Ghana and searches for her identity within the African diaspora. It will also greatly help your reading of other captivity narratives, whether they be entirely fictional like in Wide Sargasso Sea or something like M. NourbeSe Phillip's Zong! which is a fictionalized recounting the massacre on the Zong slave ship rendered entirely through dense, difficult poetry.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I wish there were not so many lazy Jane Austen "reimaginings" because taking a new perspective on classic literature can genuinely create some great stuff.

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, Wide Sargasso Sea, Land of Love and Drowning

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
The Lion King 1 1/2

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Another book not mentioned yet that I have to recommend, from which I was just reading passages again yesterday, is Rabbit, Run by John Updike. It's about a man named Harry Angstrom, a former high-school basketball player who has lost his former glory and, unable to settle down, runs away from it all. It is Updike's amazing indictment of the zeitgeist of the late 50s and early 60s, and he does an amazing job of picking apart suburban comfort and elucidating the culture of fear underneath. I was reading the Wikipedia page to figure out the specific year it took place and found that Updike called it a response to On the Road, depicting the pain that those left behind go through when a loved one leaves them. Here's a passage (non-spoiler) featuring Harry at a date at a Chinese restaurant. Take a look at the subtlety as the author cleanly questions the authenticity of the "Chinese" food, without having to question it explicitly.

"The Chinese food arrives. Delicious saliva fills his mouth. He really hasn't had any since Texas. He loves this food that contains no disgusting proofs of slain animals, a bloody slab of cow haunch, a hen's sinewy skeleton; these ghosts have been minced and destroyed and painlessly merged with the shapes of insensate vegetables, plump green bodies that invite his appetite's innocent gusto. Candy. Heaped on a smoking breast of rice. Each is given such a tidy hot breast, and Margaret is in a special hurry to muddle hers with glazed chunks; all eat well. Their faces take color and strength from the oval plates of dark pork, sugar peas, chicken, stiff sweet sauce, shrimp, who knows what else. Their talk grows hearty."

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I really loving hated Rabbit Run and the whole vapid 60s male narcissist genre.

Rabbit, Nathan Zuckerman, and Frank Bascombe are these weird vestigial limbs of a thankfully dead aspect of American Literature.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 5, 2015

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, Wide Sargasso Sea, Land of Love and Drowning

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I really loving hated Run Rabbit Run and the whole vapid 60s male narcissist genre.

Rabbit, Nathan Zuckerman, and Frank Bascombe are these weird vestigial limbs of a thankfully dead aspect of American Literature.

I don't know why but I am fascinated with stories of terrible people being terrible. There is something about seeing these people tear apart their own lives and knowing that they will never learn from their mistakes that is tragic and gripping at the same time. I'm reading Joyce Carol Oates' Expensive People right now too and it's even more obnoxious with the male narcissism, being in first person perspective, but I can't put it down nonetheless.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

John Quixote posted:

I don't know why but I am fascinated with stories of terrible people being terrible. There is something about seeing these people tear apart their own lives and knowing that they will never learn from their mistakes that is tragic and gripping at the same time. I'm reading Joyce Carol Oates' Expensive People right now too and it's even more obnoxious with the male narcissism, being in first person perspective, but I can't put it down nonetheless.

I am not so much bothered by the fact Rabbit is a shithead as much as how Updike seems so affectionate towards him. I do not think characters have to be likeable, but I grow frustrated when authors seem to think their self-centered worthless protagonist is some kind of a reflection of the American zeitgeist and not just a shithead.

I feel like Updike wanted Rabbit to be a reflection of the American everyman and his experiences and he's just a reflection of being a terrible person.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 5, 2015

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am not so much bothered by the fact Rabbit is a shithead as much as how Updike seems so affectionate towards him. I do not think characters have to be likeable, but I grow frustrated when authors seem to think their self-centered worthless protagonist is some kind of a reflection of the American zeitgeist and not just a shithead.

I love terrible people. You should too

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I didn't get the impression that Updike was affectionate toward Rabbit at all. I think he portrays him as someone who, while a victim of the culture of fear that the novel portrays, refuses to rise above it even as it falls apart in his head. I mean poo poo, when he's at his newborn daughter's funeral he tries to defend himself as a father, completely ignoring the tragedy of the situation, and then runs away AGAIN. That's all he's good at is running. You can make your reflection of the American zeitgeist a shithead if you think the American zeitgeist is poo poo.

Electric Lady fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 5, 2015

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

John Quixote posted:

I didn't get the impression that Updike was affectionate toward Rabbit at all. I think he portrays him as someone who, while a victim of the culture of fear that the novel portrays, refuses to rise above it even as it falls apart in his head. I mean poo poo, when he's at his newborn daughter's funeral he tries to defend himself as a father and then runs away AGAIN. That's all he's good at is running.

Yeah but Updike takes it in a direction of "don't we all wish we could run away like this?" Like, he doesn't condone what Rabbit is doing, but he seems to portray this absolute fear of responsibility and consequence as inherently male and that frustrates me.

I also cannot disengage the novel from the larger series and maybe that is part of my issue as well.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah but Updike takes it in a direction of "don't we all wish we could run away like this?" Like, he doesn't condone what Rabbit is doing, but he seems to portray this absolute fear of responsibility and consequence as inherently male and that frustrates me.

I also cannot disengage the novel from the larger series and maybe that is part of my issue as well.

Fear of responsibility is inherently male. Women love responsibility and always rise to the occasion. You obviously don't know anything about them

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I really loving hated Rabbit Run and the whole vapid 60s male narcissist genre.

yeah I'll probably never read Updike or Roth, because frankly I feel like I have a lot of better things to do. A LOT of better things to do. Like, I have no interest in rollerblading at age 30, but I'd definitely rather get really good at rollerblading than acquaint myself with Messrs Angstrom n Zuckerman

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Reading Rabbit series as freshman taught me so much about sex

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

edit: nvm.

Sir John Feelgood fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jun 6, 2015

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm on page 400 of War and Peace and I'm starting to find it tiresome. I enjoy it well enough when I sit down to read it, but I find I have no real desire to grab it off my shelf and keep going, unlike most novels I read. The idea that I'm going to be reading about these same characters and events for another 800 pages isn't that appealing.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

blue squares posted:

I'm on page 400 of War and Peace and I'm starting to find it tiresome. I enjoy it well enough when I sit down to read it, but I find I have no real desire to grab it off my shelf and keep going, unlike most novels I read. The idea that I'm going to be reading about these same characters and events for another 800 pages isn't that appealing.
Quit and watch the movie if you want to see the story, there's decent 3,5 hour version with classic Hollywood actors or more faithful and revered 6 hour version with Russian actors. I think it's a great book but I wouldn't waste time on huge book I don't like

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Patrick Spens posted:

So I've been thinking about reading the Divine Comedy, does anyone have a recommended translation?

You asked this question a while ago and I didn't really answer you, but then today I answered the question in the TVIV thread for Hannibal, where no one had asked for it :downs:. Here 's what I said, minus the Hannibal stuff .

Rabbit Hill posted:

If you're interested in reading the Divine Comedy yourself (or just the Inferno): there are dozens of English translations, and IMO, at this stage in time, the particular translation you use doesn't matter nearly as much as whether the translators have included copious and thorough footnotes. We used Robert Pinsky's translation of the Inferno in college and it was good; I also really like the Robert and Jean Hollander translations, which come with great footnotes. Other highly regarded translators that you can't go wrong with are John Ciardi, Dorothy L. Sayers, Allen Mandelbaum, and Charles Singleton. Here are some other online sources for the curious (and the obsessive, i.e., me :buddy:):

The World of Dante English verse translations next to Italian original)
Divine Comedy translated into English prose
Princeton University's Dante Project
Columbia University's Digital Dante (commentary)
DivineComedy.org (features 3 English translations, as well as German and Finnish, in case any of you are, you know, German or Finnish)
:iia:Digitized manuscripts of the Divine Comedy:iia:
[...]
Yale's Open Course on Dante online for free

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

blue squares posted:

Which translation?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

Which translation?

P&V

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
you should all follow kobe bryant on goodreads

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

drat, Kobe is a well-read dude. Who knew? His reviews are great too.

Reaganball Z
Jun 21, 2007
Hybrid children watch the sea Pray for Father, roaming free

this is amazing

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Has anyone ever read Enrique Vila-Matas? One of his old books is being translated this week and his catalog seems really interesting.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

hes cool

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I'm reading the Bible and smdh at how it tells you how Sodom and Gomorrah are about to get destroyed before it even begins to happen, completely ruining the suspense.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mishima is my favorite Japanese novelist. This is one of his weaker books I thought though.

Go Sea of Fertility or go home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

CestMoi posted:

I'm reading the Bible and smdh at how it tells you how Sodom and Gomorrah are about to get destroyed before it even begins to happen, completely ruining the suspense.

Are you reading the whole thing or are you skipping the genealogies