Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

jre posted:

lmao.

only Nigel Farage.

ive never seen anyone take offence to hearing another language be spoken in public
gypsies though, we loving hate them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

british people apparently even take offense if they overhear strangers speaking another language in their country(s)

No that would be Hungarians as I got to know while visiting relatives over in Budapest.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

https://www.vox.com/2015/6/3/8706323/college-professor-afraid

followed by 40 page article about identity politics but lol we're all hosed

so i'm reading this article and he initially points out how american higher ed is basically all admin and degree factories now where this really happens because students are customers

then ofc he just veers off into a lol snake people rant, this guy is kind of a goober

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

also i'd rather a generation where political correctness is hammered into their dna than one told outright to gently caress over as many people as possible

millennials being tumblrites doesn't scare me, them being libertarians does

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i think yospos demographics mean we are exposed to a lot more libertarian horseshit than the average person

libertarian thinking is pervasive in tech but rare in the general population

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Forums Terrorist posted:

also i'd rather a generation where political correctness is hammered into their dna than one told outright to gently caress over as many people as possible

millennials being tumblrites doesn't scare me, them being libertarians does

yeah theres like no consequences to society for a bunch of people being tumblrites tbqh

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

i finished the article and i've softened a little since ultimately this is about the shell game you americans call electoral politics

i can't wait for another generation to be disappointed by the democrats :allears:

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Awia posted:

ive not noticed this at all

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/feb/28/nigel-farage-ukip-immigration-speech

quote:

Asked at his press conference to justify the comments, Farage cited a recent experience on a rush-hour train leaving Charing Cross. "It was a stopper going out and we stopped at London Bridge, New Cross, Hither Green, it was not until we got past Grove Park that I could hear English being audibly spoken in the carriage," he said. "Does that make me feel slightly awkward? Yes it does."

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

a lot of people think and agree with that btw

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Forums Terrorist posted:

i finished the article and i've softened a little since ultimately this is about the shell game you americans call electoral politics

i can't wait for another generation to be disappointed by the democrats :allears:

a hundred years of failure

Will Rogers posted:

I am a member of no organized party -- I am a democrat.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i think yospos demographics mean we are exposed to a lot more libertarian horseshit than the average person

libertarian thinking is pervasive in tech but rare in the general population

i really hope this is true, esp re: randroids

although i loving salute rand paul for trying to build a platform out of blocking the patriot act renewal, even for one day

will switch parties to get him the repug primary ticket

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

most people who identify as lolbertarians but aren't in tech or finance are basically dale gribble

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

syscall girl posted:

i really hope this is true, esp re: randroids

although i loving salute rand paul for trying to build a platform out of blocking the patriot act renewal, even for one day

will switch parties to get him the repug primary ticket

he only did that because he knew it would give him great PR without actually affecting the outcome fyi

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Progressive JPEG posted:

he only did that because he knew it would give him great PR without actually affecting the outcome fyi

rand paul is not exactly a libertarian but he does publicly oppose the basic goals of the patriot act. he opposes FISA too.

this isn't some kind of technical thing, his stated belief is that traditional warrants are a satisfactory means of investigating terror plots

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Progressive JPEG posted:

bbbbbut

don't get me wrong im not a fan

and now i'm imagining him in a oak paneled room with that disgusting turtle head plotting this out

still want to see him get the republican ticket though

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

rand paul is not exactly a libertarian but he does publicly oppose the basic goals of the patriot act. he opposes FISA too.

this isn't some kind of technical thing, his stated belief is that traditional warrants are a satisfactory means of investigating terror plots

and his other stated beliefs include:

"the government is using drones to read your mail inside the mailbox"

"it'd be totally ok to shoot someone with a missile from a drone if it looked like they robbed a liquor store"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
yeah he's crazier than a shithouse rat

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah he's crazier than a shithouse rat

like i said he's perfect for the primaries

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Nintendo Kid posted:

and his other stated beliefs include:

"the government is using drones to read your mail inside the mailbox"

"it'd be totally ok to shoot someone with a missile from a drone if it looked like they robbed a liquor store"

"we can repeal the civil rights act because the free market will just make it so racist businesses fail"

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
purestrain gold

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
"I'm named Rand."

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jonny 290 posted:

"I'm named Rand."

his real name randall.

he CHOOSES to be called Rand

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
l

Nintendo Kid posted:

his real name randall.

lmao

it's just too good

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Nintendo Kid posted:

his real name randall.

:captainpop:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
gently caress ME

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
so disney so thoroughly failed to respond to my aggressive attempts to give them money that i got talked out of buying a ticket in the mean time.

i like to think this is a punishingly-small dose of karma for them laying off that support staff.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nintendo Kid posted:

his real name randall.

so?

it's less formal than randall, and more mature than randy

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

When I was at App Academy, I occasionally told students to learn a bit of lambda calculus, and they immediately understood it: they pretty much instantly figured out how to define linked lists in the lambda calculus, which I didn’t understand for ages after it was first explained to me. They were able to understand this so quickly because they’d gotten really really good at dealing with manipulating the abstractions which are useful in programming: in this case, it turns out that building complex UIs in Javascript gives you a great intuition for lambda calculus.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

bartlebyshop posted:

When I was at App Academy, I occasionally told students to learn a bit of lambda calculus, and they immediately understood it: they pretty much instantly figured out how to define linked lists in the lambda calculus, which I didn’t understand for ages after it was first explained to me. They were able to understand this so quickly because they’d gotten really really good at dealing with manipulating the abstractions which are useful in programming: in this case, it turns out that building complex UIs in Javascript gives you a great intuition for lambda calculus.

source your quotes

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

bartlebyshop posted:

I think I know who this is (confession: I went to App Academy)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

at least it wasn't Hacker School

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
app academy has been aggressively targeting me on facebook which doesn't make sense because i already have a degree & job in software

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Necc0 posted:

app academy has been aggressively targeting me on facebook which doesn't make sense because i already have a degree & job in software

they just know ur bad at it

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

*joins union of states that encourages free movement of people*
*complains when people move*

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
(ik they're talking about non-member country immigrants but whatever, point still stands)

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Progressive JPEG posted:

noo

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Progressive JPEG posted:

teehee

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Cold on a Cob posted:

*joins union of states that encourages free movement of people*
*complains when people move*

the modern conservative party is doomed to endlessly repeat the mid 90s over and over again; just as they secure absolute power the backbenchers will revolt over europe, offending the pro-eu business wing of the party and causing a split

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Cold on a Cob posted:

(ik they're talking about non-member country immigrants but whatever, point still stands)

except he probably means member nations too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

except he probably means member nations too

oh yeah probably but he can't come right out and say 'italians/spanish/etc out of the UK' (at least not yet)

• Locked thread