Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Powershift posted:

Not in canada, the country which my post was discussing. In canada, it's $62k plus another $2k destination. The equus is $63,900, and only comes with the 5.0.

You just said who cares about Canada though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mange Mite posted:

You just said who cares about Canada though?

No, i was implying it doesn't matter what drivetrain it has in canada, as it is incredibly overpriced.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

No, i was implying it doesn't matter what drivetrain it has in canada, as it is incredibly overpriced.

Compared to what? It's ridiculously cheap compared to its direct competitors.

Of course since people refuse to believe that it actually competes with the A6, 5-series or E-Class.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Throatwarbler posted:

New X1, now with FWD.

The previous X1 was kind of interesting (the xDrive35i or whatever is a missile) but considering some ridiculous percentage of 1-series drivers thought they had a FWD car anyways now that they have the chassis it makes a lot of sense to configure the X1 this way as it's going to be competing entirely against FWD-based CUV's. We're only going to get the 2.0 / AWD / 8spd auto one here to start, though.

Neptr posted:

The general AI consensus on SUVs is that a station wagon would be better suited for the typical SUV owner. Americans don't buy wagons because they "like being high up" and "want to destroy the other vehicle in the event of an accident"

The modern small crossover is basically the perfect vehicle for the average driver that doesn't give a poo poo about driving dynamics. Good gas mileage, a reasonable amount of power, good space, ground clearance, availability of AWD for climates that need it, tank-like safety, comfort and a driving position that most people (of which most don't give a poo poo about driving dynamics) prefer. I don't have a lot of love for the super huge SUV's but for most people a small CUV makes a ton of sense. They're kind of the modern version of a Model T, if you think about it...

When the electric, self driving vehicle revolution comes it's probably going to be shaped like a CX5, and so long as there are still enthusiast options (and motorcycles) I think that's a good thing.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

TKIY posted:

Compared to what? It's ridiculously cheap compared to its direct competitors.

Of course since people refuse to believe that it actually competes with the A6, 5-series or E-Class.

An AWD 300C platinum is $46k.

They've come a long way, but it's still a loving hyundai. it's still going to be worth 20 grand in 3 years.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

An AWD 300C platinum is $46k.

They've come a long way, but it's still a loving hyundai. it's still going to be worth 20 grand in 3 years.

That's just, like, your opinion man.

This thing shames the 300.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Maybe on a scale. With AWD, the v8 is 4700lbs making it slower than pretty much everything, and earning a fuel economy rating of 14mpg city, 20mpg highway.

For the same price you can get the quicker, nicer A6, and not only have resale value, but save $20 a tank.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

Maybe on a scale. With AWD, the v8 is 4700lbs making it slower than pretty much everything, and earning a fuel economy rating of 14mpg city, 20mpg highway.

For the same price you can get the quicker, nicer A6, and not only have resale value, but save $20 a tank.

Lol okay dude, I didn't realize it was make poo poo up day. Did a Hyundai beat your mother or something?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Keyser S0ze posted:

2015 MBZ E63: garish, thuggish, ugly, dated, poorly thought out and overly complicated

What does thuggish here describe?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

Metal pedals. Thugs dig metal pedals.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

TKIY posted:

That's just, like, your opinion man.

This thing shames the 300.

It may well be a better car than the 300, but the big Hyundais depreciate off a cliff. Equus in the US seem to depreciate about $1/mile for the first couple years. If you're going to buy it and drive it for <5 years, you will save money by buying German compared to a prestige Hyundai for now.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

TKIY posted:

Lol okay dude, I didn't realize it was make poo poo up day. Did a Hyundai beat your mother or something?

I'm sorry this isn't yuppiereassurance.com

I got the fuel econ numbers from a review, but they did the math wrong, it's actually 13.5/22.4 mpg. still, that'll destroy a full tank of premium in 273 miles with moderate city driving.

https://www.hyundaicanada.com/Pages/showroom/Specifications.aspx?model=genesis

17.3 l/100km city
10.5 l/100km highway
2126kg curb weight

The 3.0 audi A6 on the same cycle from the government, with weight from audi's website:
http://publications.gc.ca/collections/collection_2014/rncan-nrcan/M141-5-2014-eng.pdf

12.8 l/100km city
8.6l/100km highway
1895kg curb weight

The tank in the genesis is 77 liters, the tank in the A6 is 75 liters. meaning by the time the genesis has done the 445km required to empty it's tank in the city, the audi will have used only 57 liters. 20 liters less, or $20 a tank at $1 a liter(which it's loving not).

To quote motortrend on the performance numbers of the 100lb lighter RWD car:

quote:

It sounds like a lot of power, but the rear-driver is also a lot of car. Our $55,700 Genesis V-8 weighed in at 4588 pounds, far more than the 4199-pound 2012 Genesis R-Spec we've tested with the same engine. The new Genesis is a more substantial car, and the weight has a predictable effect at the track. Acceleration from 0 to 60 mph comes in 5.2 seconds, up from that last-gen Genesis' 4.8-second time. That makes the 2015 Genesis V-8 a midpack performer, depending on what you think its competitors are. Smaller, pricier V-8-powered competitors such as the Mercedes-Benz E550 and Infiniti Q70 5.6 will smoke the Genesis V-8. Among price-competitive offerings, an all-wheel-drive 2012 Audi A6 with a supercharged V-6 engine sprinted from 0-60 mph in 4.7 seconds, while a 2012 BMW 535i checked in at 5.5 seconds, an all-wheel-drive 2014 Mercedes-Benz E350 at 5.8 seconds, and a 2013 Lexus GS 350 F Sport with a six-speed automatic at 5.4 seconds. Passing power from 45-65 mph is ample in the Genesis V-8, with a 2.6-second time not appreciably different from that of the last-gen Genesis V-8 (2.4 seconds), A6 3.0T (2.5 seconds), and 2013 GS 350 F Sport (2.6 seconds), but quicker than the 535i's 2.9 seconds and the 2014 CTS 3.6's 3.1 seconds.

There isn't any real big canadian specific site that gathers performance numbers, but this one tested the AWD 5.0 0-60 at 5.6 seconds which would put it nearly a full second behind the audi to 60 http://driving.ca/hyundai/genesis/reviews/road-test/car-review-2015-hyundai-genesis-5-0-awd

I'm sure you'll be happy with your car, but I would like to see you admit here and now you'd pay another $10,000 for them to make it slower, heavier, and thirstier.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

kimbo305 posted:

Black

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Price that Audi out for me Powershift.

Edit : don't bother, I did and I know how expensive it is. Besides convincing someone to like a car is stupid, to each their own. I would have bought the A6 if it was the same price anyhow.

TKIY fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 5, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

TKIY posted:

Price that Audi out for me Powershift.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Larrymer posted:

That's because they aren't LS7s. They're 5.5L small blocks.

The C6.R had an LS7 (ok, an LS7.R): http://www.corvetteracing.com/cars/c6r/engine.shtml

I know they moved to a smaller displacement but guess I assumed it wasn't a new engine. I'm also sure I remember them having direct injection ages ago and having to remove it for a few years, but perhaps I've just got early onset dementia.

Edit - if this dude from Katech (who used to build the GT1 engines) is to be believed the current engine is closer to the street LS7 now than it was previously: http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-z06-discussion/3069713-c6-r-and-more-specifically-ls7-r-question.html

And they did have DI in GT1, then lost it, and now have it again: http://www.corvetteracing.com/cars/c7r/2014IntroducingTheCorvetteC7R.pdf Yay, not Alzheimer's!

I'll try and remember to ask them at Watkins Glen at the end of the month and will report back.

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 5, 2015

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

was thinking more "something a Russian mafia hitman would drive, chain smoke in and smash all those misplaced buttons and then just get angry and shoot out the windshield and set it (and the bodies in the trunk) on fire."

Plus no stick shift available (M5 supremacy) :colbert:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 5, 2015

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I dont care how good value they are... AINT NO GAT DANG WAY IM BUYIN ONE OF DEM KOREAN CARS.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

D C posted:

I dont care how good value they are... AINT NO GAT DANG WAY IM BUYIN ONE OF DEM KOREAN CARS.

My wife has a Santa Fe 2.0T Sport. I hate it. The steering is terrible, the front suspension sucks. The steering wheel controls are abysmal. And it's dropped 33 percent of its resale value (from the sticker price (not what we paid)) in the 18 months we've owned it.

Never buying Hyundai again. ~18 more payments before that fucker is paid off.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

TKIY posted:

It pretty much did, and I'd still take the Hyundai over the 300 in a heartbeat. I don't know how anyone could think the two are even close to the same class.

And LOL at the Audi price, notice how it's zero for the accessories? Start adding comparable equipment and the Hyundai starts looking better and better.

I think I'm immune to nice interiors. Can't find a single one that made me go "wow" (barring some supercars) even looking at the pretty to very high end stuff locally, they're nice and I want to really like them but I keep expecting something better I guess. And that's coming from someone used to an old Subaru, Honda's, and a Veloster.

Where the seal skin interiors at?

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

The 300's lower trims don't match up to the Genesis, but the 300C Platinum is an equivalent vehicle in terms of luxury and features.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Tekne posted:

The 300's lower trims don't match up to the Genesis, but the 300C Platinum is an equivalent vehicle in terms of luxury and features.

Who cares, all that matters to today's full size lux-ish car buyer is the driver distraction infotainment system

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve

Tekne posted:

Is the first image the lower trim? It looks godawful. But I'm guessing it's the higher trim.

edit: nvm, they are two different cars with logos that are similar if one just glances at them in passing.

And the 300C has a terrible interior at the highest trim level.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

PBCrunch posted:

Who cares, all that matters to today's full size lux-ish car buyer is the driver distraction infotainment system

And they all, without exception, suck.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

this is just design/aesthetics-wise. That said the dash, wheel and door trim are also hideous on the 300

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Fayez Butts posted:

this is just design/aesthetics-wise

Do you just not like clocks or something?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Hahaha, apparently. The 300C's clock is an ugly ovaloid surrounded by more ugly ovals. To counteract the nice, clean lines of the exterior? The Genesis's clock aint so bad but is surrounded by a shitton of buttons and way too many dials.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Heh, the Quattroporte also has the clock, but apparently it's a signature feature of their interiors.

The 300C would look a lot better if the screen got a metal surround like its Italian cousin.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Those interiors are both awful for anyone that wears blue jeans on a regular basis. Cream leather? Keeping that looking nice is such a bitch. I have to say, whatever the top one is, I don't like it. That round poo poo around the screen reminds me of the old OVAL EVERYTHING tauruses of the mid nineties.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Fuckin' :lol:

I've actually never even looked at a picture of a Genesis (Hyundai is that far off my radar) and having test driven a few luxury cars recently I'm pretty impressed (at the pictures).

I still wouldn't buy one after Bajaha's experience. It's too close.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bajaha posted:

It pretty much did, and I'd still take the Hyundai over the 300 in a heartbeat. I don't know how anyone could think the two are even close to the same class.

And LOL at the Audi price, notice how it's zero for the accessories? Start adding comparable equipment and the Hyundai starts looking better and better.

I think I'm immune to nice interiors. Can't find a single one that made me go "wow" (barring some supercars) even looking at the pretty to very high end stuff locally, they're nice and I want to really like them but I keep expecting something better I guess. And that's coming from someone used to an old Subaru, Honda's, and a Veloster.

Where the seal skin interiors at?

Other than leather/paint/wood colors, the only option for the audi is the technik pack which includes:

quote:

19" 15-spoke star design alloy wheels
255/40 R19 all-season tires
Power trunk open/close(vs power open only on base)
Power foldable auto dimming heated exterior mirrors(vs non-power fold on base)
Four-zone automatic climate control(vs 2 zone on base)
4-way power lumbar support for front seats(vs driver only on base)
Ventilated front seats
Bose® sound system with 14 speakers(vs 10 speaker on base)
Homelink
Rear & top view camera(vs rear only on base)
Audi pre-sense rear
Audi side assistt

it's not like the audi without the only option package is a camry. It matches the genesis on nearly every feature.

I prefer the interior of the genesis to that of the audi layout wise, but by nearly every other metric the audi is the better car on the canadian market, with the genesis being weighed down and priced up by AWD and the audi coming loaded with what are options on the american car right out the gate. To get the base canadian audi A6 in the US is $59,650 US or $74,170 canadian.

Also, seal skin is peasant poo poo, you need whale penis leather.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Yeah, The Chrysler could use something other than the oval surround, it works better on the Charger but feels out of place on the 300.

I wish they would just switch to column shifters for all these slushbox cars and free up that console space or put bench seats up front again. MB and Lincoln have the right idea.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Who the hell wants bench seats in an expensive car?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I prefer a bench seat to the current useless automatic shifter, but eh whatever, it would be nice for the cheap variants (Impala, Charger, Avalon) to have bench seats at least.

All the midsize sedan benchracing made me check out the new XF.

Taurus Leather seats. :geno:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

I prefer a bench seat to the current useless automatic shifter, but eh whatever, it would be nice for the cheap variants (Impala, Charger, Avalon) to have bench seats at least.

All the midsize sedan benchracing made me check out the new XF.

Taurus Leather seats. :geno:

Made from geunuine free-range ford taurus hide.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Powershift posted:

Made from geunuine free-range ford taurus hide.

It's important to me that when they go to slaughter that all their parts are used. Like the early native American culture, they had respect for the animals, nothing is wasted. I'm sure jaguar is still respecting this time-honoured tradition.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Throatwarbler posted:

Yeah, The Chrysler could use something other than the oval surround, it works better on the Charger but feels out of place on the 300.

I wish they would just switch to column shifters for all these slushbox cars and free up that console space or put bench seats up front again. MB and Lincoln have the right idea.

Yeah, nobody's going to make a brown, bench seated manual diesel wagon anymore, regardless of how many bench racing goons cry for one (because cheap rear end goons would never buy it new anyway)

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Fine, but I would still like the column shifter though. The dodge/ford/Chevy cars already come with them in the cop versions, so there should be minimal new investment. Well I don't really care about the Chevy because you can get it with a stick, but the slushbox only ones should. What's the point of the rotary dial shifter anyway, what problem is it supposed to solve?

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Throatwarbler posted:

Fine, but I would still like the column shifter though. The dodge/ford/Chevy cars already come with them in the cop versions, so there should be minimal new investment. Well I don't really care about the Chevy because you can get it with a stick, but the slushbox only ones should. What's the point of the rotary dial shifter anyway, what problem is it supposed to solve?

Throatwarbler posted:

I wish they would just switch to column shifters for all these slushbox cars and free up that console space...

There's a lot of really weird opinions about new cars in here and most seem like they're based on cars that came out like 5-10 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Bajaha posted:

It's important to me that when they go to slaughter that all their parts are used. Like the early native American culture, they had respect for the animals, nothing is wasted. I'm sure jaguar is still respecting this time-honoured tradition.

Jaguar was bought by the other Indians. Gaaaah!