Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

He and all the other "good" characters are supposed to appeal exclusively to the stereotypical concerned American dad.

I don't think that's who Les is supposed to appeal to.

I have legitimately no goddamn idea who Les is supposed to appeal to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Les and Quill are both supposed to appeal to the authors.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

She sounds like she's reading right out of a pamphlet.

The Amazing Spider-Man

The best part is it almost worked. :allears:

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

The best part is it almost worked. :allears:
Strips like this are why I love Newspaper Spider-Man.

F Minus

It looks too much like Venus.

Mary Worth

Blah blah blah. She's gonna marry the guy and we all know it. It's not even a great leap from where she is now to get there.

Rex Morgan MD

Mrs. P just shits money.

Secret Agent X-9

In the first panel, was that a zing?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ema Nymton posted:

It's great that Quill is being responsible about sex and willing confirm consent and be understanding as a partner. Such a prince. He's so great. :unsmith:

He's just so grea :unsmigghh: OK, this is a problem I've had with Quill for years, even when Luann was only just twitterpated with him at school. He is The Perfect Guy™® and it's never made sense to me. He's handsome, Australian, temperate, intelligent, and always has the right answers. So as a character he's boring and it makes no sense how he's given up so much to be with a girl who's not all that bright and not all that pretty.

Gunther's a jackass but at least he's plausible.

My only really problem is they brought Australia into all this.

Also he is obviously not really Australians as he doesn't referrer to all Americans as seppo's and he isn't passed out in an alley way in his on vomit, most days of the week after to much cheep wine, like any good Aussie exchange student.

gently caress you Lunna writers, at least do two whole seconds or research. :(

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Has he even once used a cricket analogy?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

goatface posted:

Has he even once used a cricket analogy?

Nope, nor rugby or AFL, and he hasn't even shown the slightest amount of cringe worthy casual racism.

As I was saying obviously a fake Aussie. Probably just some really weird dude from Iowa trying to seem all "foreign".

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Ema Nymton posted:

It's great that Quill is being responsible about sex and willing confirm consent and be understanding as a partner. Such a prince. He's so great. :unsmith:

He's just so grea :unsmigghh: OK, this is a problem I've had with Quill for years, even when Luann was only just twitterpated with him at school. He is The Perfect Guy™® and it's never made sense to me. He's handsome, Australian, temperate, intelligent, and always has the right answers. So as a character he's boring and it makes no sense how he's given up so much to be with a girl who's not all that bright and not all that pretty.

Gunther's a jackass but at least he's plausible.

The presumption has always been Luann ends up with Gunther, the nice shy guy that appeals to newspaper comic strip readers (40 year old virgins, and the parents of girls who were led astray by bad boys). So in order for Quill to be Luann's choice, he has to be better than Gunther in every way so no one can find fault with him. And to seal the deal Gunther turns into an indecisive malcontent who yells at his mom, doesn't shave regularly, and hangs around loose women.

RainbowCake
Apr 1, 2010

Refurbished cats may have scratches, dents or other forms of cosmetic damage which do not affect the performance of the unit.

dr_rat posted:

Nope, nor rugby or AFL, and he hasn't even shown the slightest amount of cringe worthy casual racism.

As I was saying obviously a fake Aussie. Probably just some really weird dude from Iowa trying to seem all "foreign".

I could believe that. Would make his random "moving back from Australia" bullshit make a whole lot more sense.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

dr_rat posted:

A simple "noice" would go a long way to appease any bogans reading American newspapers.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Also if he did burnouts in a Vauxhall.

Humanoid Female
Mar 13, 2008

I didn't spot this until I read it the second time, and it's hard to tell because Quill's expression never changes and he has no personality, but I think we're reading it wrong. I think this is Quill indicating he's had it with all this polite repression and is saying "Act your age for once, let's gently caress." Because look at what they're actually saying here.

Luann: : "Sex is a touchy subject."
Luann: "...it is a sensitive subject."
Luann: "...it is an urgent subject.
Luann: "...it is a pressing subject."
Quill: "It is critical to a mature, responsible relationship."

See, I thought at first he was saying boundaries are what's critical, but he's totally not. He's like "Yeah, sorry to kill your prude mood here, but sex is normal in a relationship. Now are we going to do anything at all, or are you seriously planning on not going past first base until you're 45?"

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (June 7, 1957)

Peanuts: Year Two (August 28-30, 1952)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Humanoid Female posted:

I didn't spot this until I read it the second time, and it's hard to tell because Quill's expression never changes and he has no personality, but I think we're reading it wrong. I think this is Quill indicating he's had it with all this polite repression and is saying "Act your age for once, let's gently caress." Because look at what they're actually saying here.

See, I thought at first he was saying boundaries are what's critical, but he's totally not. He's like "Yeah, sorry to kill your prude mood here, but sex is normal in a relationship. Now are we going to do anything at all, or are you seriously planning on not going past first base until you're 45?"

I didn't notice that either because Luann's stilted dialog stole all my attention. Now that you mention it, though, I think you're right.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Julet Esqu posted:

I didn't notice that either because Luann's stilted dialog stole all my attention. Now that you mention it, though, I think you're right.

Keep in mind who's writing this though. Let's not go full-bore Death of the Author here.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
At this point, Quill could throw out a "It's not gonna suck itself" and I wouldn't blame him. Not ready for sex? Fair enough, still lots of other things you can do on a dirty old couch in a prop room :shrug:

Raskolnikov38 posted:

"What am I up to? Oh not much, just a little breaking and entering, some larceny and maybe some blackmail later."

Racking up some huge international phone bills.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 6, 2015

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

dr_rat posted:

Wait wasn't there a goon who pretended to be Australian to his girlfriend's family and got stuck pretending? Or am I thinking of an episode of Coupling?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Tambaloneus posted:

Wait wasn't there a goon who pretended to be Australian to his girlfriend's family and got stuck pretending? Or am I thinking of an episode of Coupling?

Now that you mention it, I think you're right. But it had to be several (4-5) years ago.

EDIT: Here we go. In the Gold Mine.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jun 6, 2015

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Non Sequitur

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

9 Chickweed Lane 6/5/2004

Zits

Kevin & Kell

That's not funny, it's stupid.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Once again Holbrook doesn't think further than species has characteristic while drawing a comic of children being bound in place to watch snuff films until they become adults.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Kevin & Kell

That's not funny, it's stupid.

That looks like a hawk or some other raptor, judging by the beak. What tragedy has befallen it, if it is reduced to eating butterflies instead of its normal prey? Stop destruction of natural habitats!

This is like two steps away from being a political cartoon

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (April 7, 1928)

Peanuts (June 6, 1996)

Looks like this is going to be an annual thing.

gently caress You, Les Moore

Let's all take a moment to remember Lisa and Not-Lisa. Yes, Livinia is also dead, but she didn't die in saintly perfection. Probably a dull old traffic accident.

Anyway, if the reunion didn't fill you with dread before...

(e: Did Lisa even go to Westview?)

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 6, 2015

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Reply All

Pearls Before Swine

Pros & Cons

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

EasyEW posted:

gently caress You, Les Moore

Hmm, the readers may have forgotten that my self insert wrote a very important cancer story.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set are people of discerning tastes.

Working Daze cashes in on a years-old meme.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix crosses over with the Lockhorns.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
NEXT WEEK: HOW

Mandrake is so bad its good. I love it

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul de sac reminds you of this week's fail army.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Evil Mastermind posted:

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix crosses over with the Lockhorns.

Odysseus didn't fight a Medusa! IMMERSION RUINED!!!

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

Is...is Phantom meeting with Leonard Nimoy?!

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Humanoid Female posted:

They're over 18. All the "well, should we wait" is no longer relevant unless they're particularly religious. Reminds me of my mom's advice when I was in college: "Jesus, Hoover, one of us should be getting laid, and I'm not the one paying thirty thousand a year for the privilege."

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
When did Dilbert change to polos and lanyards by the way? I only got back into the thread about a month ago, but I really admire Adams willingness to update away from the character's iconic look to reflect modern engineering office realities. I'm kind of shocked actually.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise - Those About to Die

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

greatn posted:

When did Dilbert change to polos and lanyards by the way? I only got back into the thread about a month ago, but I really admire Adams willingness to update away from the character's iconic look to reflect modern engineering office realities. I'm kind of shocked actually.

October 13, 2014

October 14, 2014

These were the first two strips with the new look and the only two where it was the primary subject. It was business as usual after that.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The only inaccuracy is the companies I work for everyone basically wears a different color every day, but I'm sure the colorist is like "gently caress that"

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Kammat posted:

Oh my god :hellyeah:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Kammat posted:

:woop: I'm excited!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm just slightly disappointed Dilbert's lanyard doesn't curl upwards.

• Locked thread