Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

nickmeister posted:

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, because I feel like I'm leveling up really slow, even though I've been running around doing everything.

Don't worry, it's about right for early game. Most of the big XP boosts come from the story quests, and even those don't give that much early on, though at one point during the game it really flips and throws levels at you. I went from 25 to 29 during one late-game sequence of events, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

Turds in magma posted:

Are there any high level areas/fights I'm missing? I'm PvP 34, and while I have some weapon and armour schematics that are higher than that, I don't have any quests that are lvl 40 ish. Is there a hidden "big red Dragon/ruby weapon" type optional fight anywhere?

I just explored pretty much the whole map: there's really nothing to do after lvl 30-ish. What's the point of these lvl-40 weapon schematics, then? I don't want to grind low-level enemies just to use them...

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

Is there a Mr. T hairstyle in the beard DLC? The way Geralt constantly complains about hating portals, I think it would be pretty drat appropriate.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I still think I prefer Northern right now for the card draw.

Northern gets plain dirty eventually. I got a record of 259 points in one round earlier.

I hope they add more to the game though like maybe a super good opponent with an option for random faction selection for a match.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Stupid question time! What does the spy card do, and why is it so good?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Back To 99 posted:

It's a unit you put on the opponents side of the field, and in return lets you draw two cards.

Since card advantage is king in Gwent, they're invaluable later on.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
It's a regular unit except that it goes on your opponent's side, adding to his total but lets you draw two cards from your deck. Having more options than your opponent usually results in wins later on (usually you will wind up conceding the round you play your spies, unless your opponent doesn't play anything at all)

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Dumbest thing about this game has to be the 2 potion limit where you have to go into inventory to swap poo poo out.

That never changes does it?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I've found matches against the higher tier opponents turning into Spy Swap, with us playing spies, using decoys to take each other's spies, playing them again and then decoying them again and again

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

oswald ownenstein posted:

Dumbest thing about this game has to be the 2 potion limit where you have to go into inventory to swap poo poo out.

Not really, but one of the tier 4 alchemy abilities activates another random potion whenever you drink with no toxicity downside. I've not quite got that one yet though, a point or two short.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I've found matches against the higher tier opponents turning into Spy Swap, with us playing spies, using decoys to take each other's spies, playing them again and then decoying them again and again

Gwent - The Great Game

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
There's a reason Gwent is really popular amongst the nobility, it's totally pay-to-win.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'm imagining some rich dude's deck being just a million Avallach's or Thaler's with a few good cards stuffed in.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
One of the DLCs better include a chance to play Gwent against a Rock Troll.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I'm trying to find a nice infographic of the witcher potions and oils, with their required ingredients, so I can print it out on nice glossy picture paper. Has anyone found something like this yet?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i would really love a proper hotbar

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Trying an experiment: quest order breaking. Doing the Hillock, Crones, and Baron in that order, see what shakes out.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Nah, in a fight where you need a few potions though you can just swig them from the inventory screen. Assume you knew that already but just in case.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Back To 99 posted:

It's already been answered but worth pointing out that it also stalls a round. Northern v. Nilfgaard often does end up in spy spamming with decoys back and forth, where Nilfgaard has a slight advantage due to having more healers (healing a spy card from your discard plays it and you draw two cards, woop). However, Scoia'tel has three healers and no unique spies and Monsters have none of either, so a pretty surefire strategy against them is to play your spies the first round and draw a bunch of cards, while they are forced to play units. Then you pass and wreck them in rounds two and three with your 14 cards to their 6 (and you have ridiculous depth with those 14 because you have healers and poo poo too).

Edit: also against tougher opponents/decks try to play "Scorch chicken" and play your weaker cards first, ideally not dropping your highest strength cards until their value is less than the strongest opposing cards. If you just play both your Catapults back to back the AI is pretty smart and will Scorch those two 16-strength cards right away.

Generic hero cards are also good for "stalling" since they're unaffected by any abilities or modifiers. You can build up your score without risking units or committing to a strategy while stalling out your opponent and forcing them to reveal their buildup.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 6, 2015

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

It's already been answered but worth pointing out that it also stalls a round. Northern v. Nilfgaard often does end up in spy spamming with decoys back and forth, where Nilfgaard has a slight advantage due to having more healers (healing a spy card from your discard plays it and you draw two cards, woop). However, Scoia'tel has three healers and no unique spies and Monsters have none of either, so a pretty surefire strategy against them is to play your spies the first round and draw a bunch of cards, while they are forced to play units. Then you pass and wreck them in rounds two and three with your 14 cards to their 6 (and you have ridiculous depth with those 14 because you have healers and poo poo too).

Edit: also against tougher opponents/decks try to play "Scorch chicken" and play your weaker cards first, ideally not dropping your highest strength cards until their value is less than the strongest opposing cards. If you just play both your Catapults back to back the AI is pretty smart and will Scorch those two 16-strength cards right away.

Generic hero cards are also good for "stalling" since they're unaffected by any abilities or modifiers. You can build up your score without risking units or committing to a strategy while stalling out your opponent and forcing them to reveal their buildup.

Having too many hero cards is dangerous, too. It sucks drawing 3 medics but only having heroes to play so you can't revive them later.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The dude right at the beginning of the game who knows you're looking for Yen based on Dandelion's songs, asks you if it's about love. Does he actually show up again? I've played a good 140 hours I bet and I've not seen him again.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

OAquinas posted:

Trying an experiment: quest order breaking. Doing the Hillock, Crones, and Baron in that order, see what shakes out.
Originally I was going to post that the Baron quest tends to just stop at, 'Follow clues to whereabouts of X' because I was dumb during my first run. :downs: But thinking on it more carefully, I do wonder if they did account for a player stumbling across the Hillock first while ambling about. It'll be interesting.

It'll be amazing if they did, but I'm guessing on the Hillock just being non-interactable until you get there in the quest chain.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

GrossMurpel posted:

Having too many hero cards is dangerous, too. It sucks drawing 3 medics but only having heroes to play so you can't revive them later.

Yeah, they're very good "mid-game" when you're still building your deck but eventually you wanna ditch a couple of them probably. Or I often redraw them at the beginning if I have more than one generic hero. All my decks have Geralt, Ciri, Yennifer, and Avalla'ch though.

Like I said I usually play them second round to stall a bit because you're not committing to any strategy, it's just +10 points.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

limited posted:

It'll be amazing if they did, but I'm guessing on the Hillock just being non-interactable until you get there in the quest chain.

Nope, you can totally stumble upon it and resolve it before you're directed to it.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've had quite a few contracts and quests where I just stumble upon the tracks or later objective. It's great that you can just "jump in" like that. It even marks the objectives you missed in the quest log.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Varam posted:

Nope, you can totally stumble upon it and resolve it before you're directed to it.

Yep, that's how I did it. Was question mark hunting and thought "Huh, what a weird village. This feels oddly important." Finished the tree, did more sidequests, came back and did the Baron. Cue massive :stare:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I found a circle of stones with some graffiti of a hanged hag on it. (bottom right, was hard to get a closeup shot of it)

I wonder if it's for something.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Can't really see it too clearly. Are you still early in the game?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

thebardyspoon posted:

Nah, in a fight where you need a few potions though you can just swig them from the inventory screen. Assume you knew that already but just in case.

goddamnit I've been assigning the honey reset one to my bar just to use it once

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Yep, that's how I did it. Was question mark hunting and thought "Huh, what a weird village. This feels oddly important." Finished the tree, did more sidequests, came back and did the Baron. Cue massive :stare:

I love that there's so many different ways the quests can go.

This is really a good game. I was skeptical about $60 but it's worth it. I'm even having fun playing the in-game card game more than just a couple of times.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 6, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
e:q is not e

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 6, 2015

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah, they're very good "mid-game" when you're still building your deck but eventually you wanna ditch a couple of them probably. Or I often redraw them at the beginning if I have more than one generic hero. All my decks have Geralt, Ciri, Yennifer, and Avalla'ch though.

Like I said I usually play them second round to stall a bit because you're not committing to any strategy, it's just +10 points.

My Nilfgaard deck has every available hero but Triss and deals with medic glut by just playing the same few 10 strength dudes/ the dragon over and over and over again. I actually wouldn't mind swapping some of them out for normal units but all you really have are random Strength 6 dudes or hoping you manage to draw both your Young Emissaries.

The fact that they're immune to scorch also makes them great filler because you can play them without limiting your ability to blow up enemy cards the way you do dropping a powerful normal unit.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I'm getting nothing but crashes with 1.05. Seriously pissing me off now.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Can't really see it too clearly. Are you still early in the game?

It's on this island somewhere on the northern part of the lake in Velen, if you want to go and have a look yourself.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Voyager I posted:

My Nilfgaard deck has every available hero but Triss and deals with medic glut by just playing the same few 10 strength dudes/ the dragon over and over and over again. I actually wouldn't mind swapping some of them out for normal units but all you really have are random Strength 6 dudes or hoping you manage to draw both your Young Emissaries.

The fact that they're immune to scorch also makes them great filler because you can play them without limiting your ability to blow up enemy cards the way you do dropping a powerful normal unit.

If you have commander horns, random strength 6 dudes are better than heroes.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I really like the bookstore in Novigrad, they nailed the atmosphere. The books on the stairs, especially. And the windows in this game are excellent. Witcher 1 import stuff: It was cool getting a letter Alvin/Jacques had sent. Even though it basically just reaffirmed that he was Ciri-lite.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Is there a bug where you can't pick up new quests from notice boards? Because I think that might have happened to me, but I'm not sure.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

They're still affected by weather and scorch though.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Wasn't someone saying the baron was pretty hard at gwent?

I kicked his rear end first go around.

Blacksmith in some ghetto on novigrad with his loving monsters was way worse.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Broken Cog posted:

They're still affected by weather and scorch though.

Yeah, it has been my experience that in general, the extra 2 points of potential strength aren't worth being contingent on having a horn played and also being vulnerable to hostile effects. This might also in part be a Nilfgaard thing since they don't have any morale units, they don't muster, they don't have good tight bonds, and they have an Objectively Best Commander that isn't a horn (also they are likely to be dropping frost on the front lines to compensate for the huge strength spies they're donating).

I mean, I'd run a Strength 6 random over Triss or something, but unless there's more going on then I still find Heroes a more reliable option than mediocre vanilla units.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Voyager I posted:

Yeah, it has been my experience that in general, the extra 2 points of potential strength aren't worth being contingent on having a horn played and also being vulnerable to hostile effects. This might also in part be a Nilfgaard thing since they don't have any morale units, they don't muster, they don't have good tight bonds, and they have an Objectively Best Commander that isn't a horn (also they are likely to be dropping frost on the front lines to compensate for the huge strength spies they're donating).

I mean, I'd run a Strength 6 random over Triss or something, but unless there's more going on then I still find Heroes a more reliable option than mediocre vanilla units.

I'd agree with all that, I think Northern Realms is the deck where I pulled some of my generic 10-strength heroes because I had enough other good stuff.

I fairly often redraw generic heroes at the start of a game, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Monster design overall in this game is pretty great. Leshens are especially cool.