Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

For those that care, Brett Talley's He Who Walks in Shadow was released a couple of weeks ago. It's a direct sequel to That Which Should Not Be. I'm about halfway through now and so far it's a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The Shadow Out of Time could have been scary if the main character was transposed with the Yithian at the end and experienced the flying polyp extinction event first hand, combining that sense of loss of identity (from temporal theft, even) with whatever horrors incurred by the polyps, with the main character realizing that he's going to die alone in a strange land/time, and nobody will ever realize it.

But maybe existential horror is why I tend to dig Ligotti a bit more. Speaking of, has it been confirmed whether his latest reprint of Songs and Grimscribe will be the original texts or his edited ones?

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

But maybe existential horror is why I tend to dig Ligotti a bit more. Speaking of, has it been confirmed whether his latest reprint of Songs and Grimscribe will be the original texts or his edited ones?

On this note, could someone give me a quick precis on what the differences are between the originals and the edited versions? I only have The Nightmare Factory, so I haven't seen what changes occur.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Pththya-lyi posted:

The main problem with that story is that body-hopping, time-and-space-bending librarians are not so much scary as they are totally awesome. (See also: Deep Ones. :iamafag:)
I honestly think that's Lovecraft in a nutshell. The only story of his I'd consider scary is The Colour Out Of Space, the rest is more about awe inspiration and -someness.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

anilEhilated posted:

I honestly think that's Lovecraft in a nutshell. The only story of his I'd consider scary is The Colour Out Of Space, the rest is more about awe inspiration and -someness.

I disagree- I think he does creepy well, and the chase scene in The Shadow Over Innsmouth is just harrowing.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Humanity ending because an alien race can teleport their minds across time and space to take over other beings is absolutely terrifying. I always liked that mankind only was spared because of some fluke, making the Great Race prefer some antpeople in the distant future or whatever, underlining how powerless and insignificant mankind is. We could have done nothing to prevent this horrible, pod-people invasion and everyone taken over would have been sent to an alien body in another time to be torn apart by horrible, alien things.

To a modern reader then Lovecraft is perhaps not exactly scary at most times - but his stories are unnerving. Cosmic horror isn't scary like traditional horror. It gives you the sense that your perception of reality and your life is just a thin veil, waiting to be lifted. It's something that pokes at an underlying sense of the wrongness of reality deep in your mind and brings it to the surface. That is way worse than something that will want you to keep the light on for one night (although that makes for a very fun reading experience as well).

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
I've always enjoyed Picman's Model and Color Out of Space. Outside of that I've enjoyed where other people have taken the broad brush strokes of his concepts.

Lingotti's just too oppressive (or depressive) to be enjoyable. Simmons is too dry. Curran, too repeatative.

I've always enjoyed Stross, but more so for his short stories rather than the novels.

Does anybody have any suggestions for just open ended weird not related to mythos and not Lingotti? Maybe along the lines of Liminal States?

Hell, maybe I'll just read that again.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

oops. Dp.

Dr. Benway fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jun 6, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Not really horror but I love the Viriconium stories by M. John Harrison for that - it's fantasy with more than a good deal of underlying bizarreness. If you go for it, I'd suggest getting a complete edition just to see how it progresses - he likes to tackle similar themes with different representations and angles.

edit: And don't try to tell me Storm of Wings isn't cosmic weird.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Dr. Benway posted:

Ages and ages ago there was a thread in GBS , I think, of goons reading Lovecraft. There weren't many entries, but some of them were pretty well done. Does anyone happen to have these? I'm sure the links are long dead (or perhaps just eternally sleeping).

Here's my entries from that thread: http://tindeck.com/album/ivzvl

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Dr. Benway posted:

Does anybody have any suggestions for just open ended weird not related to mythos and not Lingotti? Maybe along the lines of Liminal States?

Jeffrey Ford

The Drowned Life and Crackpot Palace specifically.

echopraxia
May 22, 2015
Is there any really hard SF cosmic horror like Watts out there but without the kind of aspie snark that comes with his style? Like I love the indifferent sense of dread that pervades Blindsight and the Rifters series (and that they both make you think long and hard about how being a living thing, much less being self-aware is pretty terrifying and weird) but the Dawkins-like sneering tone he has is annoying and gets in the way a lot.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Reynolds? Not so focused on the horror but it's there.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

echopraxia posted:

Is there any really hard SF cosmic horror like Watts out there but without the kind of aspie snark that comes with his style? Like I love the indifferent sense of dread that pervades Blindsight and the Rifters series (and that they both make you think long and hard about how being a living thing, much less being self-aware is pretty terrifying and weird) but the Dawkins-like sneering tone he has is annoying and gets in the way a lot.

Did you come by this opinion before or after the name choice

Ship of Fools/Unto Leviathan (Russo) and The Void (Talley) are the go-to recommendations for SF horror. I thought the first Expanse novel was really good horror, too, but they dropped that in the sequels.

echopraxia
May 22, 2015

anilEhilated posted:

Reynolds? Not so focused on the horror but it's there.

Thank you for reminding me he existed and that I love him when he's dealing with aliens.

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

Did you come by this opinion before or after the name choice

Ship of Fools/Unto Leviathan (Russo) and The Void (Talley) are the go-to recommendations for SF horror. I thought the first Expanse novel was really good horror, too, but they dropped that in the sequels.

Eh, his style bothered me when I first read Blindsight but not enough so that it got in the way of enjoying the story. I think he did much better with Echopraxia in that respect, but in turn it suffered from an incoherent narrative that was all over the place. It's like he can't have a good balance going and I only recently realized it.

I will definitely look those over thanks man.

echopraxia
May 22, 2015
dp

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
I read the Void just a couple of weeks ago. Found it rather disappointing, actually -- flat characters, and a plot that could be characterized, if slightly unfairly, as "Event Horizon meets, uh, Event Horizon". Sure, there's a pinch of Lovecraftian gribbliness in place of the overt Infernalism of EH, and the dreams manage some nice atmosphere in places, but it's not enough to carry a novel for me.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

echopraxia posted:

Are there any writers like Phillip K Dick, but uncontaminated by being a subhuman schizophrenic?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Are there any writers like Phillip K Dick, but uncontaminated by being a subhuman schizophrenic?

That's a very strange comparison to make.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

CuddleChunks posted:

Here's my entries from that thread: http://tindeck.com/album/ivzvl

Awesome. Thanks, buddy.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Annihilation won the Nebula for Best Novel.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ghostwoods posted:

I read the Void just a couple of weeks ago. Found it rather disappointing, actually -- flat characters, and a plot that could be characterized, if slightly unfairly, as "Event Horizon meets, uh, Event Horizon". Sure, there's a pinch of Lovecraftian gribbliness in place of the overt Infernalism of EH, and the dreams manage some nice atmosphere in places, but it's not enough to carry a novel for me.

Yeah, it felt really amateurishly written. Not sure why it gets so much buzz.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Effectronica posted:

That's a very strange comparison to make.

I used to like Borges, but him becoming blind really taints his life's work with his icky inability to see.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Are you doing a thing here?

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
I'm guessing "aspie" is the part that he's taking issue to but honestly "snark" was the operative word in echopraxia's post.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Fire Safety Doug posted:

I'm guessing "aspie" is the part that he's taking issue to but honestly "snark" was the operative word in echopraxia's post.

Oh, yeah, I didn't even read echopraxia as hatin' on disabilities, so I thought Vosigan was serious. Now that you point it out, though, aspie is a weird tag to hang on snark.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, it felt really amateurishly written. Not sure why it gets so much buzz.

I guess it's mainly an indicator that there's very little cosmic space horror, so what stuff there is gets talked up for novelty value?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ghostwoods posted:

I guess it's mainly an indicator that there's very little cosmic space horror, so what stuff there is gets talked up for novelty value?

That's certainly a part of it. But, and I'm speaking only for myself here, I don't come into cosmic horror (of any flavor) with very high expectations, so I'm willing to forgive a lot if the author has ideas that intrigue me. There are certainly authors putting out cosmic horror that is of very high quality all around (Ligotti, Hodge, Kiernan), but there's also a lot of really bad stuff out there. In the grand scheme of things, I think The Void falls just on the good side of the middle point between those two extremes.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm honestly not sure what the buzz about Talley in general is about. I read That Which Should Not Be and it felt kind of bland. Like, all the ingredients are there but none of the awe or horror, it was more of a fun ride through a Lovecraftian world than anything else.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

The Void always struck me as, someone wanted to write a sequel or something in the same universe and unintentionally wrote the same thing.

I've read That Which Should Not Be , but honestly couldn't tell you a thing about it. Whether the eldritch gods have blocked from my memory or it was just unimpressive who's to say.

I wish that they had kept a little of the existential creep factor with the Expanse series. Pray to God they do it justice on syfy, because the first three books were pretty darn good.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

anilEhilated posted:

I'm honestly not sure what the buzz about Talley in general is about. I read That Which Should Not Be and it felt kind of bland. Like, all the ingredients are there but none of the awe or horror, it was more of a fun ride through a Lovecraftian world than anything else.

I thought it was supremely unimpressive and by-the-numbers.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

What do people think of Andersen Prunty? Does he belong in a thread about weird fiction?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

I used to like Borges, but him becoming blind really taints his life's work with his icky inability to see.

Have you considered being less passive-aggressive, and instead just calling people motherfuckers if they use the colloquial definition of "aspie" or "sperg"?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Effectronica posted:

Have you considered being less passive-aggressive, and instead just calling people motherfuckers if they use the colloquial definition of "aspie" or "sperg"?

Man, don't be such a Eosinophiliac about this.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
Not cosmic horror, but weird tales - Stephen Graham Jones' After The People Lights Have Gone Off is a little hit-or-miss but has some genuinely creepy work and decent writing. There's an excellent werewolf story, a disturbing and unconventional vampire story (which features as its protagonist a dude who practices his tattoo art on corpses in a morgue), a story with a light sci-fi varnish about a group of besuited strangers who keep popping up at funerals, and a magic fruit box with magic geometry that does magic.

He does fall back on my least favorite modern horror device, though, in that he'll present a fairly coherent narrative that absolutely disintegrates on the very last page into some ambiguous, vaguely spooky, wide-open-to-interpretation anticlimax.

Has anyone read Strantzas' Burnt Black Suns? Is it any good?

Man, don't be such a Eosinophiliac about this.

stop posting

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 14, 2015

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

End Of Worlds posted:

which features as its protagonist a dude who practices his tattoo art on corpses in a morgue.

That didn't really sound all that creepy until I read the story about the guy tattooing pigs for handbags.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing

End Of Worlds posted:

I found it a bit hit and miss - some pretty good stories, others were a slog to read and had little payoff.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

End Of Worlds posted:

I have. I generally agree with Fire Safety Doug, though I felt there were more hits than misses. I also think that's part of Simon's style - sometimes he wants to write a story that's largely just atmosphere with little or no payoff in the end.

I just finished Brett Talley's latest, He Who Walks in Shadow. It's better than his two previous books, though if you didn't like those, you probably also won't like this one. One thing I will say, Talley doesn't waste a lot of words on superfluous detail, so when it's time to get to the action, the action is gotten to. On the flip side, this makes the book read a lot like a recap of someone's Call of Cthulhu game.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Bolverkur posted:

Humanity ending because an alien race can teleport their minds across time and space to take over other beings is absolutely terrifying. I always liked that mankind only was spared because of some fluke, making the Great Race prefer some antpeople in the distant future or whatever, underlining how powerless and insignificant mankind is. We could have done nothing to prevent this horrible, pod-people invasion and everyone taken over would have been sent to an alien body in another time to be torn apart by horrible, alien things.

To a modern reader then Lovecraft is perhaps not exactly scary at most times - but his stories are unnerving. Cosmic horror isn't scary like traditional horror. It gives you the sense that your perception of reality and your life is just a thin veil, waiting to be lifted. It's something that pokes at an underlying sense of the wrongness of reality deep in your mind and brings it to the surface. That is way worse than something that will want you to keep the light on for one night (although that makes for a very fun reading experience as well).

The Yith are cuddly, though. Other than that little escape from the polyps fluke, they were very kind and pleasant to their switcherees and even put them back when done. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
Wow Robert Aickman's short The Swords disturbed me more than any story I've read in a long, long time

Just, like

augh