Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I swapped my bent rear break pedal for a new one. I was going to install a gsxr rear shock but the sun went down + I need a breaker bar at minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Installed the adventure mirrors. They seemed very sturdy, and alot easier to adjust. Now just to fiddle with it for a year trying to find the perfect angle..

Stock:

Doubletake Adventure:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Supradog posted:

Installed the adventure mirrors. They seemed very sturdy, and alot easier to adjust. Now just to fiddle with it for a year trying to find the perfect angle..

Stock:

Doubletake Adventure:

I just did this last night too! They're so much better (based on one hour of riding).

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I reinstalled the idle adjuster and synced the throttle bodies on the F4i. Seemed to idle more smoothly as I was doing the adjustments. I also removed the zip ties that were bundling the ventilation / overflow tubing so there shouldn't be any more issues causing surging.

I put a shorter windshield on the BMW. We'll see if the additional airflow really pays off in the summer.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Put on a new rear tire, lost 2 loving hours by getting distracted and putting it on with the wrong direction and the it really wouldn't come off again. Got 9500 km out of my pirelli scorpion trail. Changed to metzeler tourance. The pirellis has been pretty good, though wore down pretty fast after 8000km.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Replaced my bent rear brake pedal with a new one. After 15k miles on the bent one, it feels so weird.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Bought it!

Then put 70 miles on it - oh man what a ride. Yamaha's parallel twin is a great engine.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I bought it a friend.... picking it up monday. So excited :yayclod:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Digital_Jesus posted:

I bought it a friend.... picking it up monday. So excited :yayclod:

Is it a SuperDuke I hope it's a SuperDuke!

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Maaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyybbbbeeeeeeee................

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Father disapproves.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

VERTiG0 posted:

Father disapproves.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

VERTiG0 posted:

Father disapproves.

Its okay dad will never understand what it is like being a badass. :frogc00l:

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Z3n posted:

Is it a SuperDuke I hope it's a SuperDuke!

I'll make sure to go to starbucks and shame the ducatis.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

VERTiG0 posted:

Father disapproves.

25 feet back and no eye contact!

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
So after much ado the rear wheel is back on the bike with a new sprocket held by new studs and nuts and with brand new wheel bearings. I still have a tiny amount of play in the rear wheel. The rear needle bearing has a removable inner race that I did not replace, the dealer says they don't replace it when doing a bearing replacement. What's the odds that it's this part that actually needed replacing and not the bearing itself? Apart from looking a bit used I can't feel or see any wear on it.

The possible culprit is part no 7. I have already replaced no. 2, 3, 4, 13, 14, 15, 20 four no. 16 and a couple of no. 17. When will it end?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

What sort of play are you seeing, exactly?

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
There's nothing straight side to side, but if I grip at one and and seven and push/pull respectively I can hear a small clunk and see the wheel move relative to the sprocket hub. The movement is really tiny though. Not sure if my mind plays tricks on me but maybe the amount of movement differs when rotating the wheel a bit.

But hell, for all I know this is normal for this kind of two-piece roller bearing. Since the inner race is a separate removable piece maybe I shouldn't expect it to be as tight as a sealed ball bearing. But in that case, I think I should have noticed it before.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If you replace the inner race there's really nothing else to do that you haven't already done. What made you go down this path to start with?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

makka-setan posted:

There's nothing straight side to side, but if I grip at one and and seven and push/pull respectively I can hear a small clunk and see the wheel move relative to the sprocket hub. The movement is really tiny though. Not sure if my mind plays tricks on me but maybe the amount of movement differs when rotating the wheel a bit.

But hell, for all I know this is normal for this kind of two-piece roller bearing. Since the inner race is a separate removable piece maybe I shouldn't expect it to be as tight as a sealed ball bearing. But in that case, I think I should have noticed it before.

Wheel moves axially and not laterally relative to the sprocket? Sounds like your cush drive doodad is worn.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I picked up a 2003 Tuono last night for cheap. Fuel filter was split inside the tank so it sprayed gas, barely idled, and died as soon as you touched the throttle. For now - just to make sure the bike runs right - I bypassed the fuel filter and all is well. The head to throttle body boots are filled with cracks that allow air in - as tested by carb cleaner - so I basically skim coated them with black RTV and they no longer leak. $120 for a set of new ones so I'll just wait and see if these end up leaking again. Chain was covered with surface rust that came right off with chain cleaner, was really surprised. No tight spots or squeaking.

Turns out the bike has all of the Aprilia kit stuff - intake, exhaust, ECU chip, etc and an Oberon clutch slave cylinder.

Bike only needs a set of tires and a wash since it sat for 8 months before I bought it and rode it home. Spiders everywhere.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Yeah, the inner race part is the only thing I haven't replaced. Since I changed tires in September the bike has felt a bit unstable in low speed turns. It could be a different profile of the tires but also the shop didn't put the rear wheel back straight and it took me a few days find the problem. I put the wheel back straight but still it didn't feel perfect so I began to suspect the bearings might have been damaged. After that I found the slight play in the rear wheel and thought it would be best to replace the bearings just in case.

I got new bearings from another shop and they don't replace the inner race when doing a bearing replacement so I skipped that part. It's also stupid expensive like all Yamaha parts.

Seeing how the wheel is constructed the play I feel is consistent with the roller bearing and inner race having a bit of play between them. I can see the wheel move relative to the cush drive. But as I said, maybe this is normal for this kind of bearing setup.

Take it to a professional maybe?

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
I went and registered it. Riding back to work, one of the front caliper mounting bolts rattled out, the other one was loose as well and the caliper rotated off the disk. Lucky I didn't need it when it happened, replaced those and tightened them up nicely with some anti-seize stuff.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You put anti-seize on caliper mounting bolts that already backed themselves out?

RE-DO!

Clean off the anti-seize and locktite them bitches.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
GRRR thumpertalk said otherwise. I found a thread there that said anti-seize and grease are not the same thing, not to use loctite on them, and anti-seize contains friction stuff to keep them from backing out.

Now I don't know who to trust.

Edit: OK I trust you, will fix this stupidity.

Dutymode fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 10, 2015

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
TT folks probably do antiseize because the caliper is underwater half the time, but there's also a pretty high level of herp-derp over there.

I have a paint shaker of a bike but I've never had caliper bolts back out and I put the bolts in dry every time. If you have trouble with them coming out, a dab of blue (not red) should do ya.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

makka-setan posted:

Take it to a professional maybe?
As a mechanic, I'm having trouble picturing the problem you're describing. I'd like to see it myself. So, yes, I'd say get the opinion of someone who's worked with a lot of bike wheels before.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Seconding the blue locktite.

Paintshakers hate bolts.

I did nothing to my pile other than rode it in the rain, because appliance. :smuggo:

ignoring the broken rack bolts, because anger.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

After a little driving I really like the metzeler tourance tires. They're not so lean happy as the pirelli scorpion trails but better than the anakee 3s was. I'm not missing any grip on sealed surfaces while they're more grippy on gravel. I've yet to try them in really damp conditions though. In hindsight, the front pirelli must have been really uneven in weight because I used 40 grams less in weights.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jun 11, 2015

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Put on a new tail light and pivot pegz after my friend looped it.

Pivot pegz are pretty great though. Huge foot peg that pivots forward just a little. I went for a ride for about an hour last night on them and so far they're much better than I thought they'd be. Being able to angle your foot forward while still being on the peg is great.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

As a mechanic, I'm having trouble picturing the problem you're describing. I'd like to see it myself. So, yes, I'd say get the opinion of someone who's worked with a lot of bike wheels before.

I really want to make you a video but I need to rig up some type of camera tripod to catch the action. Be patient master motorcycle mechanic.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
We had to give up on our 4 speed Puch racing engine. It's just too impossible to get parts for. So we bought a 1983 Yamaha RX50 5-speed from a friend of ours. One of the ugliest bikes ever made. Needed a CDI and had some weird poo poo in the oil tank that smelled like lavender. No idea what it was. Wouldn't run for poo poo with that in there, fouled plugs constantly. Took forever to clean it out and it's still smoking out of the pipe. Also someone had replaced the air filter with a dryer sheet. But we finally got it running and I can't even tell you what a loving hoot it is to ride. One of the most fun bikes I've ever ridden. Absolutely loved it. Now we gotta dyno it, get some different wheels for it, a new carb, weld on a new exhaust, rebuild the brakes, remove some poo poo, safety wire everything. Hopefully some day get a mini full fairing for it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Also someone had replaced the air filter with a dryer sheet.

:lol:

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

smelled like lavender. No idea what it was..... someone had replaced the air filter with a dryer sheet.

I wonder if they're related...

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Recently declassified Big Four keiretsu meeting minutes from March 1982:

Look, seriously, just take everything in your excess inventory, throw on a stepped seat and pullback bars, and ship it to the U.S. Forget about use cases, they'll invent one if it doesn't exist.

Cool bike.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

mrking posted:

I wonder if they're related...
Dryer sheet in place of an air filter. Lavender scented detergent in place of seafoam.

I would check the oil, just to make sure it's actually oil and not odd socks or something.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Now we gotta dyno it, get some different wheels for it, a new carb, weld on a new exhaust, rebuild the brakes, remove some poo poo, safety wire everything. Hopefully some day get a mini full fairing for it.

I can't help but notice that "do a flake paint job" isn't on that list. For shame.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'll see your flake paint job and raise with a vinyl wrap.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Ola posted:

I'll see your flake paint job and raise with a vinyl wrap.

Oh my god, it's full of stars :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Now we gotta dyno it, get some different wheels for it, a new carb, weld on a new exhaust, rebuild the brakes, remove some poo poo, safety wire everything. Hopefully some day get a mini full fairing for it.

When are you making your build thread so I can follow you and live vicariously though you?

Make it or I'll drop a 4-valve water cooled Ducati engine on your door and make you adjust the valves. :mad: