Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I wish here was a setting or gesture (like shake) to make a notification go away once I've seen t without having to hit a button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
    Huebble
    Misfit
    JavaPay
    YWeather
    WoT Adjutant
    91 Dub v2.0
    SmartWatch+
    PebbGPS

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
My original Pebble has that garbled screen issue, but even so:

Glance
Misfit
Compass
Morpheuz
Battery Life

Watchfaces:
Ecliptic
Pebble Mars
Revolution

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Paypal
LLAP
Trek v2
JavaPay
Swarm
Pebble time Tracker (installed this for shits and giggles like 3 weeks ago, never bothered replacing)
TeXcuse
Modern

Honestly I could live with only having Modern

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Kazy posted:

...(installed this for shits and giggles like 3 weeks ago, never bothered replacing)

Do many of you have a rotating stock of faces/apps beyond the 8 slots, currently? It'll be interesting to find out how many apps and faces the original hardware will be able to cache with the new OS.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Just a heads up, the Pebble Time campaign closes in a few hours. Here's one last update before then with some pictures of actual physical watches (with simulated screens, apparently): https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597507018/pebble-time-awesome-smartwatch-no-compromises/posts/1179422?ref=backer_project_update

I'll probably stick with the silver Steel but that gold-with-red-strap looks gorgeous and is making me reconsider...

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I actually just cancelled my pledge. I wouldn't be getting a Steel until August and I'm kind of hoping someone else can make a smartwatch with decent battery life by then.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

PneumonicBook posted:

I actually just cancelled my pledge. I wouldn't be getting a Steel until August and I'm kind of hoping someone else can make a smartwatch with decent battery life by then.

They haven't been able to in the two years since the original Pebble came out, why would they now?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Kazy posted:

They haven't been able to in the two years since the original Pebble came out, why would they now?

It's pretty much the only place to breathe now between Google Wear and the Apple Watch.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

PneumonicBook posted:

Better than 10 days? No.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

I've never gotten more than two days and change out of mine.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Lazyhound posted:

I've never gotten more than two days and change out of mine.

Are you just running Pixel Miner 24/7 or what?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Yeah what the hell. I get around 5 days out of my original Pebble and I thought that wasn't that great.

Aren't other smartwatches way worse?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I got a solid week out of a charge on my pebble, but reduced by a day for every 18 holes I golfed with it.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

rear end Catchcum posted:

Better than 10 days? No.

I said decent battery life, not better than it. As far as I know besides the pebble most other smart watches are pretty much a nightly charge. I'd be fine with something that could make it four or five days between charges that had an expanded feature set over the pebble.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I charged my pebble once every 6 days so you are expecting anything better than that? You won't get that in any watch that has constant changing leds

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Drythe posted:

I charged my pebble once every 6 days so you are expecting anything better than that? You won't get that in any watch that has constant changing leds

Holy loving poo poo.

I never said I was looking for or even expected an android wear caliber watch that would have better battery life than a pebble.

I'd be fine with an android wear that could last two and a half days or thereabouts(lg's is close) or something in between an android wear and a pebble that could get a little less than a week.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Modify it for another watch

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man I really want my pebble time

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

sirbeefalot posted:

Are you just running Pixel Miner 24/7 or what?

I tried disabling Shake to Light and dropped 40% in two days, so it must have been that.

Ruttiger
Nov 3, 2004

The music itself is changing.

rear end Catchcum posted:

I wish here was a setting or gesture (like shake) to make a notification go away once I've seen t without having to hit a button

You can with notification center.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

So now there is, finally, native support for Japanese and Korean on the Pebble. Sure, it's hacked together, but it actually works pretty well so far. The fonts look a bit strange, but seeing that I can now read nearly all notifications on the thing now makes it truly useful. If nothing else, it makes buying the Apple Watch less tempting for me, since that was one of the big drivers of me getting it.

I mean, I probably still will anyway, but it's not as necessary :v:.

You can get it here.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Does the swarm app work for anyone?

Mine constantly says "cannot find app check your connection"

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Got my select your color email for the new one. Can't wait!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So do you think "ships in May" means they start sending out units May 1 or maybe they begin a first run sometime in Q3 May

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I'm willing to bet a first round of shipments will go out within the first week. I sure hope they can actually fulfill rewards somewhat in order this time.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
New Kickstarter update; looks like shipments will start to leave the factory some time mid-May. Production is ramping up this week. From their production timeline in the update, sounds like any watches received in May will be in the last week of the month at best.

Obviously better than the first Pebble's time frame, still a bit of a bummer that there's still basically a month to go. :(

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

sirbeefalot posted:

Obviously better than the first Pebble's time frame, still a bit of a bummer that there's still basically a month to go. :(

And much longer than that for us Steel backers.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Shipments to start May 27, everyone who kickstarted should receive a tracking number by mid June.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Gonna be pretty sad if my Time doesn't arrive before I leave on the 2nd :(

burntloser
Mar 28, 2006

Quilted for her pleasure.
I got mine, but no iOS app, so it's DOA. yay!

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

burntloser posted:

I got mine, but no iOS app, so it's DOA. yay!

That's some bullshit. Still can't really understand the reasoning for a completely separate companion app.

I'm pretty annoyed at the shipping situation; I'm supposedly going to be getting mine this Friday. I finally just found this out after seeing that people were finding their tracking number in the page source of the Kickstarter backer portal. No email that its on its way, nothing since charging the sales tax to my card 2+ weeks ago (besides their general updates). Really makes the bullshit reasons for the additional $10 shipping charge stand out.

e: of course I get an email like 20 minutes after posting this. :v:

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 3, 2015

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I had a usually-barely-noticeable yellowy tint on the bottom of the screen on my steel. It's only sometimes and only on light backgrounds you can ever see it. They sent me a brand new one as a replacement, complete in retail box and I don't have to send the old one back. I'm thinking of flipping both now and going for the time steel but I dunno how far off it is at this point

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Woot has refurb Pebbles today for $59.

Namlemez
Jul 9, 2003
I was an original backer and that one lasted almost two years before developing the garbled screen issue. They sent me another one in May that lasted all of two weeks and is now more garbled than the original one. I emailed support again and they're sending me a third one (still no charge) but I'm kind of disappointed in the quality trend...

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Namlemez posted:

I was an original backer and that one lasted almost two years before developing the garbled screen issue. They sent me another one in May that lasted all of two weeks and is now more garbled than the original one. I emailed support again and they're sending me a third one (still no charge) but I'm kind of disappointed in the quality trend...

Not presenting this as any kind of metric, but I'm pretty sure my new PT had a loose internal connection when I received it. It wouldn't charge unless I squeezed the charging cable and the watch together pretty firmly. Realized pressing on the screen itself worked better than the bezel, and the third or fourth time I tried it, I felt a tiny little click and it worked as it should. Hopefully that's an isolated thing.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Namlemez posted:

Yea my Pebble started getting that same issue around a year ago, it was also an original backer watch. It's been getting progressively worse so I just sent an email off, hopefully they can replace it.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
So I bought a Pebble off a friend for a fiver since I figured what the heck. It's kinda nifty but a little obtusive. I haven't got it to do exactly what I want it to do and I figure y'all can help:

-I'd like a pedometer that can run in the background, since worst comes to worst if I pay five bucks for a watch/pedometer I'm happy. Misfit was inaccurate, Moveable (I think) needed to be active, and Jawbone's just confusing me right now. If possible I'd like it to be able to record without having the bluetooth needing to be within range of my phone so I won't have to have it with me at the gym, but I understand if that's not the case.

-I'm intrigued by the sleep tracking, but the thing's a little too bulky to wear while sleeping. Anyone have any success with the tracking and if it's worth the discomfort, or can I stick it under my sheets and have the same results?

-Any way that I can control Pandora while using it on Chromecast? When I tried it one song was going through the TV and another through the phone.

If the answer to all of these is no I'm out five bucks and it's no big deal, but if I can get this sucker set up the way I want it that'd be just nifty keen.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

C. Everett Koop posted:

So I bought a Pebble off a friend for a fiver since I figured what the heck. It's kinda nifty but a little obtusive. I haven't got it to do exactly what I want it to do and I figure y'all can help:

-I'd like a pedometer that can run in the background, since worst comes to worst if I pay five bucks for a watch/pedometer I'm happy. Misfit was inaccurate, Moveable (I think) needed to be active, and Jawbone's just confusing me right now. If possible I'd like it to be able to record without having the bluetooth needing to be within range of my phone so I won't have to have it with me at the gym, but I understand if that's not the case.

-I'm intrigued by the sleep tracking, but the thing's a little too bulky to wear while sleeping. Anyone have any success with the tracking and if it's worth the discomfort, or can I stick it under my sheets and have the same results?

-Any way that I can control Pandora while using it on Chromecast? When I tried it one song was going through the TV and another through the phone.

If the answer to all of these is no I'm out five bucks and it's no big deal, but if I can get this sucker set up the way I want it that'd be just nifty keen.

You paid $5.00 for a pebble? If you don't like it I'll give you $20.00 shipped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Check out Plexfit for the step tracking. It integrates with google fit, I use it all the time. I think it does a pretty good job.

For sleep tracking, I used to use the Sleep as android (or sleep) app and it did the job. I just ended up not finding any value in sleep tracking anyway...

Edit:looking at it now, it looks like plexfit now has sleep tracking too.

Audax fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jun 8, 2015

• Locked thread