Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Sire Oblivion posted:

It's mediocre at best.

Agreed. Area 51 was way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
It Follows was good, but it didn't quite live up to the hype.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
We Are Still Here is fun. It's like if House of the Devil and Evil Dead had a baby. Parts of the story sounded suspiciously similar to The Haunting in Connecticut.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Good cast, looks like.

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Lexi Alexander is in hardcore movie jail for Punisher War Zone, though. The only things she's done since that are an awful-looking Christian movie and a Youtube short.

It also has to do with the fact that she really doesn't hold back. The episode of How Did This Get Made mentioned earlier has her talking openly about the kinds of things you're really not supposed to talk about (in other words, she was completely open and honest about her experience, and in doing so made it sound like she was badmouthing a lot of people). I think she was looked at as biting the hand that feeds, and that's what did her in.

It's a huge shame in my eyes. Punisher War Zone isn't a good movie necessarily, but it had so many flashes of insane brilliance throughout. Plus she's one of the few directors who approached a superhero movie in the right way. She's become a noticeable figure online now due to calling out a lot of misogyny in Hollywood/being really vocal about feminism in the film industry, and in all likelihood that will make people think she's "difficult" to work with. I hope she'll get more work soon.

Anyway, I wanted to come in here and say that I watched Karyn Kusama's The Invitation recently and hooooooly poo poo. Anyone disappointed by The Sacrament needs to see this when it comes out. Spends almost its entire length inside a Hollywood Hills mansion during a dinner party that proceeds to get stranger and stranger as the night goes on. Kusama directs the living hell out of it too, deliberately framing each shot so other characters are seen lingering in the background of any conversation going on. The movie just takes its sweet time letting the tension build and build before finally letting things loose with an intense finale that's actually a satisfying payoff.

The film premiered at SXSW earlier this year and got picked up quickly by Drafthouse, who plan to release it early next year. If you're in NYC it's playing BAMcinemafest soon. I wouldn't be surprised if this one pops up in Midnight Madness at TIFF. I'm reeaaalllly looking forward to more people catching this one.

Edit: I saw We Are Still here tonight, and it's decent enough. I was really more into the story behind the town's weird behaviour than the main couple's grieving. Also the gore fx were a nice surprise given the slow burn leading up to it. Larry Fessenden is still the man.

justlikedunkirk fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 6, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Invitation is definitely on my list, can't wait til that's here.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Hmm. Watched some trailers on iTunes (they let me winnow out the crap and the fakes).

The Stranger looks good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swdjj9OTHcA
Exeter looks like poo poo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzejTW3izFs
Dark was the Night looks it may have its moments. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeYJmGaMaSU

Wizchine fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 6, 2015

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I think Lexi Alexander should direct the Furiosa spin off of Mad Max: Fury Road, seeing as we're talking about her.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I mean, it's not like she wrote War Zone. I doubt even Kubrick could have polished that turd.
...Ok, yeah, Kubrick would have spun that poo poo into gold.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

War Zone was also hacked to bits by the suits, iirc. And yet some people swear that movie's "Awesome". I'll never understand.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It's pretty, Ray Stevenson glares and shoots good, people die in really entertaining ways in it, movie owns

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Lexi Alexander should direct Wonder Woman. I mean, she's a woman and has experience with comic book adaptations, thats two for two.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

TheJoker138 posted:

I think Lexi Alexander should direct the Furiosa spin off of Mad Max: Fury Road, seeing as we're talking about her.

Well she's directing a few episodes of ARROW next season instead. I like her, though she has some occasionally questionable views at time.

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?
Has anyone seen Insidious Chapter 3 yet? I didn't really like the second one, but I'm curious to see what Leigh Whannel did directing for his first time.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Punisher War Zone is legitimately one of the best comic book movies ever made, and if you don't think so, have you ever read a comic book in your life?

Namirsolo posted:

Has anyone seen Insidious Chapter 3 yet? I didn't really like the second one, but I'm curious to see what Leigh Whannel did directing for his first time.
Nah not yet, but I'm definitely going to at some point today. Apparently there's nothing tying this to the first 2 Insidious movies except for Elise (Lin Shaye's character). Leigh Whannell was on the Rotten Tomatoes podcast yesterday and he said he wanted to give the family from the first 2 a break because he thought he had abused them enough, and that he felt like the next movie could either be Elise as a ghost following the events of the first 2 or Elise's backstory and he chose the latter.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Whannell does a good job with the creepy stuff but is much less interested in the familial drama that Wan is, who was always very careful to make that stuff seem natural and spontaneous.

Cat Sidhe
Jan 9, 2015

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It Follows was good, but it didn't quite live up to the hype.

Nothing ever does. It's why you don't get hyped.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Cat Sidhe posted:

Pretty much. Reject hype.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Punisher War Zone is legitimately one of the best comic book movies ever made, and if you don't think so, have you ever read a comic book in your life?
Nah not yet, but I'm definitely going to at some point today. Apparently there's nothing tying this to the first 2 Insidious movies except for Elise (Lin Shaye's character). Leigh Whannell was on the Rotten Tomatoes podcast yesterday and he said he wanted to give the family from the first 2 a break because he thought he had abused them enough, and that he felt like the next movie could either be Elise as a ghost following the events of the first 2 or Elise's backstory and he chose the latter.

I caught it today. It's pretty good, and there's a few unexpected ties to the originals.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Cat Sidhe posted:

That's the secret: you don't get hyped, you stay hyped.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Maybe I didn't get hyped enough for It Follows because I thought it was really good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I was excited to see It Follows. Also I saw it directly after I saw Furious 7, where I came out already hyped.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
"Don't believe the hype, it's a sequel" - Chuck D

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Namirsolo posted:

I saw it Thursday night and while I think it's the lowest part of the series because of the story, which isn't all that fresh and kinda meh, but it's not at all bad just a couple notches below the other two films. It keeps things creepy and pretty tense but it relies a little too much on jump scares, nearly every scene has something popping into frame just to get you though some are pretty good and I didn't expect them. It's cool seeing the beginnings of Elise, Specs and Tucker and seeing Lin Shaye being a total bad-rear end and not putting up with any supernatural entity's bullshit. A really fun watch if you're a fan of the previous two films.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Just caught Would You Rather on Netflix and was pleasently surprised...Jeffery Combs kills it as always. It was kinda weird to see Rob Wells playing someone that's not Ricky. Also holy gently caress that ending..

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Robb Wells is incapable of not being Ricky to some extent or another, and it owns. Even in Hobo with a Shotgun he's basically just playing Ricky as a redshirt.

e: speaking of things that own, Re-Animator owns

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

LORD OF BUTT posted:

e: speaking of things that own, Re-Animator owns

Yeah, Re-Animator rules. It lets loose, and doesn't hold back at all.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I was (and still am) a huge fan of the first Insidious, but I thought 3 was pretty weak :( It had some cool moments, like the scenes set in The Further and the noise the demon made when it breathed was the same as in P.T., but other than that I wasn't too impressed. It had a bunch of cheap jump scares, and the theater I was in was jam packed with rowdy teenagers who were talking over the entire movie and loudly screaming at every single jump scare, so maybe that detracted from the experience.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I caught it today. It's pretty good, and there's a few unexpected ties to the originals.

My own question about Insidious 3 for those who've seen it: how horror-y is it, if you'll forgive the weird term? The first Insidious, though it used some new tricks, is a pretty standard, intense ghost story with harsh themes, while Insidious 2, while advertised as more of the same, kinda wasn't. I had a blast during 2, but it got some stick from people for some elements- more intentional comedy, setting up a slavish continuity through "unnecessary" world-building, an ending for the Lamberts that is unambiguously happy, and mostly for being too drat silly. More of a dark fantasy than a horror. (To be fair, it does very much resemble a Scooby Doo episode where the ghost happened to be real...) So what side does this new one come down on, all things considered?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's not nearly as fun or silly as 1 or 2, or as good as the Conjuring, which just goes to show how good a director Wan is. 1 + 2 are both written by Whannell.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

resurgam40 posted:

My own question about Insidious 3 for those who've seen it: how horror-y is it, if you'll forgive the weird term? The first Insidious, though it used some new tricks, is a pretty standard, intense ghost story with harsh themes, while Insidious 2, while advertised as more of the same, kinda wasn't. I had a blast during 2, but it got some stick from people for some elements- more intentional comedy, setting up a slavish continuity through "unnecessary" world-building, an ending for the Lamberts that is unambiguously happy, and mostly for being too drat silly. More of a dark fantasy than a horror. (To be fair, it does very much resemble a Scooby Doo episode where the ghost happened to be real...) So what side does this new one come down on, all things considered?

It tries to make things a bit scarier. I don't think it necessarily succeeds though. There's some very obvious visual allusions to The Shining. The lighting's a bit darker in this one too. This is pretty similar to the first instalment, where it's quite dark for the first two acts and the humor doesn't really enter in until the third act. There's a lot of jump scares, which aren't necessarily bad on their own, but they aren't handled as well as Wan directed them. Wan had impeccable timing for these things. Watch Insidiois 1 or 2, or The Conjuring - every jump scare is a crescendo of the scene, and is handled with impeccable timing.

I was (and still am) a huge fan of the first Insidious, but I thought 3 was pretty weak :( It had some cool moments, like the scenes set in The Further and the noise the demon made when it breathed was the same as in P.T., but other than that I wasn't too impressed. It had a bunch of cheap jump scares, and the theater I was in was jam packed with rowdy teenagers who were talking over the entire movie and loudly screaming at every single jump scare, so maybe that detracted from the experience.

My theatre was pretty much empty, but I caught a show that started at 11:55 am, so that was expected. What I really liked about this one is that is that it was the third part of a series and rather than focusing on expanding on plot points from the previous instalments it just told it's own story and just pulled a few elements from the previous instalments.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What Wan excels at is establishing mood. He gives everything plenty of time to breathe and isn't overly concerned with startling you.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What Wan excels at is establishing mood. He gives everything plenty of time to breathe and isn't overly concerned with startling you.
Perhaps too much time. The entire first half of the movie was spent establishing mood, and while I was enjoying it for a little while, it kept establishing and establishing without scaring me much, so I was getting tired of it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That would bug me more if the time spent building up the characters didn't pay off. All the sweet stuff is earned, like when Dalton wakes up and says he's hungry, or the immortal line "What do you mean I don't believe you? I changed houses for you!" You don't just see Rose Byrne screaming at something scary, we get to see her slowly losing her mind and her husband retreating from the situation little by little.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Me really enjoying the Garth Ennis run on the Punisher comics is one of the reasons I hate what what movie did with those characters.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Would You Rather is excellent. I just watched it as someone here recommended it, and it was all around a great just nasty piece of work. It's not particularly graphic but it has Jeffrey Combs and the guy who plays The Riddler on Gotham just chewing up scenery through out.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

TheJoker138 posted:

Me really enjoying the Garth Ennis run on the Punisher comics is one of the reasons I hate what what movie did with those characters.

I think you're getting The Punisher (2004) confused with War Zone. Ennis's The Russian and Frank's wacky neighbors were in the Thomas Jane one.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

moths posted:

I think you're getting The Punisher (2004) confused with War Zone. Ennis's The Russian and Frank's wacky neighbors were in the Thomas Jane one.

He's talking about Punisher Max.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

moths posted:

Nope, I know what I'm talking about. Almost all of the characters from War Zone were from Ennis run on the title, and were way further away from the source material than the 5 used in the 2004 movie. Even Jigsaw was, before becoming Jigsaw, basically one of Ennis' other characters in that movie. They turned a dude who kidnapped a guy to make him cut up a rival mob boss into pieces while the guy was still alive into a parkour man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
Thanks to all these Linda Blair posts I checked what she has been up to lately. Apparently she is in a film called The Green Fairy that also stars Roddy Piper as Oscar Wilde.