Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

First game with the brush I was let down and pretty sad. Second? I turned into a monster. I had a short marathon where I had at least 1,100 points every game and won most of the matches. That thing is insane when you figure out the flow. Constant ink throwing, barely any downtime, and crazy mobility and escape options. Rollers don't even scare me anymore. This is definitely my new favorite weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I thought the roller would have been a bigger challenge, but it's just like fighting Ganondorf in Ocarina.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

How has everyone been doing on ranked?

I really like the Splattershot Pro. However, I really hate being in a constant limbo between C+ and B-.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

I'm keeping a solid B to B+ pretty equally using the 52. gal deco, kelp charger, and kraken squelcher

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

So technically our team lost both matches, but those shots were worth it for me :).

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Worst Girl posted:

How has everyone been doing on ranked?

I really like the Splattershot Pro. However, I really hate being in a constant limbo between C+ and B-.

I've been a pretty steady B-/B, I feel like with the randomness of teams it is hard to get beyond this since you need a better than 50-50 record
The competition gets more competent; and with the team randomization even if you stick with the same group you just finished a match, you may wind up with the lovely players.

My favorite is the .52 deco, but I squirm when I get into a match and the other team is filled with Squelchers and Pros

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I haven't leveled up enough to participate in ranked yet, so please correct me if the game already does this...but it sounds like what needs to happen is that since team composition is random, your letter grade ranking needs to be taking into account personal performance and not just straight win/loss.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It would be nice if performing well in k/d+caps could make you lose less points on a loss so when you're stuck with a terrible team it doesn't hurt quite as much

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
The story does kinda feel tedious, to be honest. I also wish (even though we haven't seen all the modes) that something from story would be in multiplayer. Even if it's a strategic game of blow up the most white fish shits. Or even those lil bouncing paint lines to climb walls. I dunno, man. It just seems like, being a mutiplayer oriented game, a lot of really cool ideas were wasted on an, albeit great, second-hand single player story.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

jivjov posted:

I haven't leveled up enough to participate in ranked yet, so please correct me if the game already does this...but it sounds like what needs to happen is that since team composition is random, your letter grade ranking needs to be taking into account personal performance and not just straight win/loss.

I think, once we get more modes, like deathmatch even, it might be implemented that way.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

I think a slightly more vertical oriented stage with those silly bouncy ink string things would be pretty cool. I really liked those.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I am terrible at drawing Amaterasu.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

noirstronaut posted:

The story does kinda feel tedious, to be honest. I also wish (even though we haven't seen all the modes) that something from story would be in multiplayer. Even if it's a strategic game of blow up the most white fish shits. Or even those lil bouncing paint lines to climb walls. I dunno, man. It just seems like, being a mutiplayer oriented game, a lot of really cool ideas were wasted on an, albeit great, second-hand single player story.

A couple of those large balloons that pop and cover a large swath and then regrow could be kickin rad, as could some of the little cleaner robots. Or those sponges leading up to an upper area like those on the sea rig, where you could risk jumping out over empty space to climb up there, but you might have it shot out from under you.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

jivjov posted:

Not really. The only common denominator in every team you're on is you.

If you're stuck at a rank, it's because you belong in that rank.

Roflcopter
Dec 21, 2004

Last night ruled cause I was owning fools for at least a half hour with my .96 gal in lobbies full of inkbrushes :hellyeah:. Tonight though, I've been trying the inkbrush after getting destroyed by some Japanese dude wielding one and oh my god it's amazing.

I'm running it with the ninja squid perk and I spam the trigger and cover an insane amount of area, go squid and just wait for someone to come try and clean up the mess. Then I pop up next to them and they're dead before they can get their crosshairs on me. It's great, you barely need to aim and just spam the trigger as fast as you can. I'm topping my teams in paint coverage and I'm right up there with kills too. Only problem is my wrist starts to hurt after a couple rounds of spamming the trigger and aiming with the gyro. I'm getting old :(.

Hail inkbrush

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Lemming posted:

Not really. The only common denominator in every team you're on is you.

If you're stuck at a rank, it's because you belong in that rank.

Yeah but what happens if you keep getting grouped up with a bunch of people who are terrible at the game and only got to level 10 by way of losing over and over and over and accumulating XP that way? You could be doing fantastically every game, but no one squid can carry the whole team.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
A thing about ranked is that you kinda have to realize that killing people is the sub-objective. Yeah, you have to cover paint, but if you kill people, you now have more time, and they have to get to your zone one of maybe four ways.

Also, rushing right to it seems to be a good strategy except for when playing Urchin. I still haven't figured out how I should play Urchin when I'm not a sniper and every single area is open.

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:
Splatoon is fun.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Here's what I've been sketching out for an Inkbrush build:

Ink Resistance
Opening Gambit
Special Gauge Boost
Damage Boost x4

Normally I don't really mind powerups, but the Inkbrush seems to really invite tinkering.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

noirstronaut posted:

Several of the specials have roles as enemy weapons so it's not a complete waste. But yeah, sponges and ink lines are oddly missing when they could be put to use.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

jivjov posted:

Yeah but what happens if you keep getting grouped up with a bunch of people who are terrible at the game and only got to level 10 by way of losing over and over and over and accumulating XP that way? You could be doing fantastically every game, but no one squid can carry the whole team.

This is the baby cry of everyone with a bad rank in every game with matchmaking and teams. They cry that they should totally be a higher rank but they just keep getting so unlucky. You might have bad runs of a few games but it always balances out over time.

Seriously, Elo hell isn't and has never been real.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
A small to large problem with ranked is that people don't know what they're doing. It's essentially just like turf war wherein you don't really care about the turf. You kill more people, it puts them behind, you take their land, wait for them to return. I used to think it was founded in teamwork, but it's really founded in how well you play singularly when you know people are going to be watching and you're watching them as well.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Harold Krell posted:

Splatoon is fun.

:lol: holy poo poo this is beautiful

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Are we posting our graffiti now

I am not a artist. Worst thing in the world is getting focused on a drawing, hitting submit and realizing something was off like my M

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Here's what I've been sketching out for an Inkbrush build:

Ink Resistance
Opening Gambit
Special Gauge Boost
Damage Boost x4

Normally I don't really mind powerups, but the Inkbrush seems to really invite tinkering.

Opening gambit most likely doesn't effect your speed with the inkbrush. Run speed doesn't affect rollers, and opening gambit sounds like it's just a large run speed/swim speed boost.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I don't think Splatzones is fun, at all. It's not even a matter of "oh I was put with bad players," even when I have a good team and win I don't really have fun winning it. I don't think the gamemode really works in Splatoon.

I am excited to see the other two gamemodes though, especially the one that's just TF2 payload.

Inkbrush is really fun now that the initial New Weapon Appeal has died off and you can use it guilt-free. Definitely not a weapon you want your entire team using, it's very specialized, but very good at what it does if you can get away with doing it.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 7, 2015

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Lemming posted:

This is the baby cry of everyone with a bad rank in every game with matchmaking and teams. They cry that they should totally be a higher rank but they just keep getting so unlucky. You might have bad runs of a few games but it always balances out over time.

In most games I would feel the same way, but Splatoon has no way to form parties or even directly communicate with your teammates. That makes "being stuck with a bad team" much more of an annoyance than in, for example, Halo or Call of Duty.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I always like CTF style modes in these kinds of games but I'm not sure if it would work in Splatoon

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Lemming posted:

This is true, but all the same Splatoon's gameplay makes it extremely difficult to carry a team on your own because if allies don't contribute the other team is going to be able to simply output way more ink even if you're a killing machine. It might even out over time but it's enormously frustrating to waste a ton of matches because some other guy decided to go fill special on the other side of the map or go PRO SNIPER without really doing much.

Like, yes, technically if you are good your rank will rise over time because those dummies will also end up on the other team, but it really does currently more or less boil down to "whoever has the shittiest player loses."

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

jivjov posted:

In most games I would feel the same way, but Splatoon has no way to form parties or even directly communicate with your teammates. That makes "being stuck with a bad team" much more of an annoyance than in, for example, Halo or Call of Duty.

And an equal amount of time, the other team will be the one stuck with bad players.

Saying the system should take into account your personal score is dumb too because you can help your team in ways that nets you no or fewer points but still contributes to the win, like blocking paths or destroying spawn points or baiting people away from the splat zone. Winning or losing works really well and there's no real point in complicating it further.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Like, yes, technically if you are good your rank will rise over time because those dummies will also end up on the other team, but it really does currently more or less boil down to "whoever has the shittiest player loses."

Yeah, the team with the better players wins, and if you're better, you'll be on that team more often and rank up. I'm glad you understand how it works.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Lemming posted:

And an equal amount of time, the other team will be the one stuck with bad players.

Saying the system should take into account your personal score is dumb too because you can help your team in ways that nets you no or fewer points but still contributes to the win, like blocking paths or destroying spawn points or baiting people away from the splat zone. Winning or losing works really well and there's no real point in complicating it further.

I'm not saying that only your personal score or k/d ratio should determine rank...but I don't think it would be amiss for a small bonus to be awarded for being the highest scorer on a team, or have a >2:1 k/d for example. Not enough to make people want to abandon team map control in favor of lone wolfing, but just a small incentive to boost the rank of a truly great player and take a bit of the sting out of losing.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nerdbot posted:

I don't think Splatzones is fun, at all. It's not even a matter of "oh I was put with bad players," even when I have a good team and win I don't really have fun winning it. I don't think the gamemode really works in Splatoon.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Ranked being Splat Zones-only also exacerbates issues with bad teammates. One of my housemates plays Ranked almost exclusively and more than a few times I've seen people who either don't know or don't care that they aren't playing Turf War.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
This game owns. Just unlocked ranked and been raising hell with the Aerospray MG. I die a lot but I also kill a lot and man, the cash just flows. Also it's funny how easy it can be to kill level 20 players. At first I thought it was unfair that I was being matched with a ton of high level players but it seems levels don't protect you from getting shot in the rear end.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I don't like Splatzones or the general idea of ranked but I totally get why others are into it. It's fun every once in a while but it's far too high stress for me. For me Splatoon is the Katamari Damacy of mp shooters. It's silly, fun, fluid, relaxing and when I'm tense and getting frustrated the appeal of the game for me falls apart.

It's cool as heck that Nintendo has managed to turn the limited content into something for casuals and more serious players. It's never possible to appease everyone but they've got the bases covers. As should you if you're one of those people who neglects your own base!!!

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Lemming posted:

Yeah, the team with the better players wins, and if you're better, you'll be on that team more often and rank up. I'm glad you understand how it works.

Right, but I think the issue people are having is that the "team with the worst player loses" situation combined with getting nothing for personal performance upon losing via KO means that each loss largely feels like the RNG flipping you off (and by contrast each win feels like you just got lucky). You can look at a rise in rank over time and say to yourself "hey, I'm getting better!" but the process of actually getting there is, frequently, extremely annoying, and losing feels like a waste of time that often isn't your fault.

I think if the player earned something from losing, even if it was just the cash they earned or a small bonus per kill, it would go a long way towards making it more engaging and less "welp, time to roll the slots again." Especially because if you play extremely well, this can have the effect of making the match go on longer and basically punish you for leading your team and playing through till the end. I've had a lot of matches where I've gotten as many kills as the rest of my team combined and held the point while they dick around the map, and it really kills my drive to play when I'm essentially being screwed for not saying gently caress it and letting us lose.

PsychoInternetHawk fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 7, 2015

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
If it kept you with the same team, and it shuffled the overall groupings between matches, it wouldn't be as "gently caress you, here's the reject group" as it is right now

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Use your bad teammates as bait. Let them go get killed and then kill the people that killed them. Use the MG, get a Seeker going while you shoot them all to heck. I mean, it's entirely possible to carry a team and you should start doing so when the timer goes directly from 100 to 70.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Splatoon reminds me a lot of Battlefield 1942. In both games there is no communication among players, therefore any teamwork that occurs is a happy accident. And you can never, ever assume that your teammates will do something useful, no matter how strategic or valuable or obvious, because everyone is an idiot.

Instead of making me angry, though, it puts a big grin on my face when that accidental teamwork comes together.

Basically what I'm saying is this is a strategy guide for Splatoon.

• Locked thread