Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

The Locator posted:

I'm not sure if I should hug you or hate you for making this post a few days ago. I reinstalled Fallout: New Vegas and it has absorbed all my time for the last 2 days. :black101:

Almost got me to buy New Vegas! I never finished Fallout 3, though, and I've been jonesin' for some FPS FFA action, so I ordered the Unreal pack from Steam. Been feeling under the weather and can't sleep ALL the time, so I've been tooling around in UT single player trying to get my settings and keybindings how I liked them. Amazing how after nearly 10 years of not playing, so much has come back to me. (old configs are on a nearly-bricked HD in storage.) About to go get owned in MP after this cigarette.

Before I ordered the Unreal pack, I tried out the UT 4 pre-alpha build for a few nights. It'll be amazeballs when it's finished, but it's a little too wonky on my machine right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

1500quidporsche posted:

The best kind.

cheap.

924 S2... Please let it be a 924 S2

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I tried to play through New Vegas years ago but the constant stopping to change weapons and poo poo really wore me out. I should just buy Diablo 3 for Xbox 360 since I can play locally with my friends.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

924 S2... Please let it be a 924 S2

It's a 914. It's the cheapest.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The hackerspace I help run just moved. The new space is 20% bigger for about the same money, the landlord understands what we do, and our neighbors are awesome.

The new space also has a bitchin' chainfall:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_mCCUR8WJM

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Arriviste posted:

Almost got me to buy New Vegas! I never finished Fallout 3, though, and I've been jonesin' for some FPS FFA action, so I ordered the Unreal pack from Steam. Been feeling under the weather and can't sleep ALL the time, so I've been tooling around in UT single player trying to get my settings and keybindings how I liked them. Amazing how after nearly 10 years of not playing, so much has come back to me. (old configs are on a nearly-bricked HD in storage.) About to go get owned in MP after this cigarette.

Before I ordered the Unreal pack, I tried out the UT 4 pre-alpha build for a few nights. It'll be amazeballs when it's finished, but it's a little too wonky on my machine right now.

New Vegas is worth it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I tried to play through New Vegas years ago but the constant stopping to change weapons and poo poo really wore me out.

You can hotkey up to 7 weapons.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

SouthsideSaint posted:

I installed a new fuel filter on a 76 I think stingray with a factory original 454. And when it fired up I was transcended to the church of V8. Where reverend 454 spoke sweet words of religion upon my ear drums. :perfect:

While out driving today I saw a split window corvette go through the intersection a different way. I felt bad that so many around him probably have no idea that his car is more special than being 'just an old corvette'. The wife wasn't in the car either or else I would have pointed it out to her so she could be underwhelmed. :sigh:

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Made my first offer to buy a house.

In 36 hours I've read a couple books on how to buy a house, found a realtor and got a tour, found a lender and got preapproved, and am just now firing away the offer. The house was listed Friday and had three offers sight unseen, one of which was cash. Four more offers were expected today. It will probably go for 45k-75k above asking price. The public open house is tomorrow at noon and they stop taking offers at 4 PM, about 56 hours after it was listed.

PacNW real estate game sucks. Thanks, California - you ruined San Francisco and now you gotta ruin us, too.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Welp, we had a surprise "HQSC" - which is essentially a very hardcore inspection, checking out how clean the store is, how sanitary employees are, how employees look, how pizzas look, how we treat customers, what kind of shape our cars are in, etc. In this area, it's actually a third party company that does it (a subsidy of Ecolab in our case). From what I understand, corporate owned stores generally have someone internally that does that job, while franchises have to hire an outside company (though our area manager will pop in now and then and say he's doing an informal HQSC).

I got a "major violation" for not having my nametag (which I forgot to remove from my shirt before doing laundry last night; melted in the dryer), and a "critical fail" for not having approved non-slip shoes on. I DID have non-slip shoes on, but since they didn't look like kitchen shoes, I got a critical fail. We got a total of four critical fails, which means we may or may not have failed the inspection as a whole. One of them was the manager on duty not washing her hands when she handled cash and went to make a pizza. :fuckoff: loving dumbass is all I can say on that one. She actually racked up 3 criticals herself, I got the only other one.

I actually got mentioned by name in the report for customer service though - the power went out for a split second, and since our UPS is long dead, the server said "... I'm gonna reboot, and fschk is going to take 20 minutes to run", a carry out order that was scheduled for pickup at 4pm never printed up until, well, 4pm. Customer walks in at 4pm, JUST as the server comes back up and all the printers start spitting out tickets. They were obviously upset, they were having a party at their house and said people would be showing up soon. I told her "tell you what - let me write down your address, and go ahead and take a couple of two liter soft drinks with you. Go home so you can greet everyone, and as soon as it's out of the oven, I'll personally bring it out to you." Specifically, it said "Sean provided exceptional customer service by delivering an order when it was not ready for pickup, A++" (she also wrote an employee compliment card and posted it on the bulletin board by the employee entrance with the same words). I'm still likely to get bitched out (likely written up) once my boss gets back in town over the shoe bit, but I don't plan to stay with the company more than another 3-6 months anyway.

e: just talked to my boss over IM (he's out of town for a wedding), he asked how the inspection went. Apparently the manager on duty wasn't honest with him about it. He just told me "don't worry about it, just make sure you wear approved shoes from now on" and basically said thanks for being honest about everything. :stonk: He's famous for his temper, so he's either stoned out of his skull, drunk as poo poo, or both. I know I managed to talk our way out of a few other violations too (like our front door not closing on its own - we actually do have someone scheduled to fix it, so I was completely honest when I told her "we're aware of it, a gust of wind caught it and bent the top hinge during the last storm - they're supposed to be out on Monday" and pointed out the bent hinge to her); I think it helped a lot that I struck up a conversation with the inspector and was comfortable with her, instead of basically making GBS threads myself like everybody else was doing. Also helped that when she said "I need to check out someone's delivery car", and I said "no problem. mine's kind of dirty, so excuse the pile of delivery slips on the floor" and steered her towards mine (the other driver working has bald as poo poo tires with belts showing - getting new ones when he gets paid, but that would be an immediate "don't come back until you have new tires" if she saw his tires). Turns out she just wanted to check out the tires, windshield, mirrors, and wipers anyway, and we bullshitted about cars briefly.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Love seeing a bunch of coke rocks all over the urinal. So. Gross.

No, gross would have been if you still chopped them up and snorted them.

blk posted:

In 36 hours I've read a couple books on how to buy a house, found a realtor and got a tour, found a lender and got preapproved, and am just now firing away the offer. The house was listed Friday and had three offers sight unseen, one of which was cash. Four more offers were expected today. It will probably go for 45k-75k above asking price. The public open house is tomorrow at noon and they stop taking offers at 4 PM, about 56 hours after it was listed.

PacNW real estate game sucks. Thanks, California - you ruined San Francisco and now you gotta ruin us, too.

Jesus gently caress. Good job getting preapproved though, a lot of sellers and realtors just ignore or reject offers when someone doesn't have cash or a preapproval.

75k above asking price? That's just nuts; I thought it was bad when my family paid $20k above asking price for this house in 2000 (and wound up in a bidding war to get it).

MikeyTsi posted:

Ugh, that's how it started with my mom, she was having a hard time keeping food down. They did all the allergen bullshit and all that, then they did a CT scan while they were prepping for an egd and welp,....

It was already stage IV when they caught it. I got about 8 months with her after that.

It's fuckin' weird. She left me her house, but I'm going to have to make a bunch of changes if I'm going to have any chance of being able to live there. We're going through her stuff and giving things away, which I know is the right thing to do, but it's still HER STUFF, you know?

I'm having to fill out a million loving form letters to tell all the creditors, utilities, etc that she's died and it just sucks.

The stress is been causing my colitis to flare up, so I've got that in addition to everything else.

Ill get through it, it's just life is definitely not awesome right now.

Sounds like what happened to an old friend/former manager. She was the kind who never went to the doctor unless she felt like death. And there was a family history of cervical cancer.

I remember the look on her face when she got the call informing her that her mother had died from it (I was working with her that day). Several years later, she went to the doctor, and... stage IV cervical cancer. She lasted less than 6 months; the last time I talked to her, we only managed about 5 minutes on the phone before she said she was too weak to keep talking. :smith: I always told her "you're too much of a bitch to let cancer kick your rear end", which always got a laugh out of her.

We're STILL getting bills for my grandmother - she's been dead for over 3 years, and filed bankruptcy nearly 20 years ago. Bottom feeding debt collectors still keep trying to contact us. Her legal address was never this house either, but somehow they dug it up. And since I put our landline in my mother's name (unlisted and unpublished), we get calls on that occasionally looking for my grandmother. Not even the same last name, I guess skip tracers just keep looking up my mother.

BloodBag posted:

Shout out to Motronic, your AC thread is the poo poo. My miata went from 70° vent temps/useless AC to a 47° meat locker.

Vent temp with the car parked, a/c on recirculate, holding the engine at ~1500 RPM. It quits cooling entirely at idle if it's above about 85 outside. :sigh: If I'm hauling rear end and one or two gears too low (i.e. 3000+ RPM), it'll drop down to about 50.

Going to rent some gauges from AutoZone next week and top off all the cars here, and possibly rear end in a top hat Cassarole's as well.

Also, my boss, who used to be certified in mobile a/c, swears up and down that there's no such thing as refrigerant leaking out over time through barrier hoses; it's either charged for life or it has a leak, according to him. :rolleyes:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 7, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CommieGIR posted:

Welp, that tooth I had a crown put on a year ago? Yup, root canal time. Third one :P

gently caress that, pull that sucker.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Double posting because I just got home from a loving awesome time at an "All are welcome" car meet. Saw some of my friends I rarely see, met a bunch of new people, got to hang with the Miata crowd AT LAST and all in all it was a fantastic day.

Until 20 minutes ago when my girlfriend gets home. She hung out with some people who turns out they work for my sister and despite finding out who my girlfriend is they proceed to talk massive poo poo about her. And my girlfriend then feels the need to tell me exactly what was said and is no puzzled why I am pissed off that she felt the need to tell me all this bullshit. Like I really want to know that my sister's employees and coworkers loving hate her. That's probably going to be all I think whenever I see her now. And my being mad makes me the jerk tonight.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Arriviste posted:

New Vegas still has the mediocre combat of Fallout 3 but the writing is way better. It's on sale right now so probably worth picking up but like always replaying Fallout 2 is a much better way to scratch the Fallout itch.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i just rememmbered thati never finished new vegas

i only just started to finish the first witcher so i have kind of a serious backlog going

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Spent most of my Saturday transforming my goon cave from this messy poo poo:

(Forgot to take a picture exactly when I started so this already after some shuffling around)

To this nice and sleek setup

Spent a good amount at IKEA and now I've got a lot more room and a lot less clutter. Just sorting out all the cabling and cleaning it up after years of spaghetti from constantly changing stuff around is amazing. I'm pretty proud of myself.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Finally sat down and watched Adam Carolla's Paul Newman documentary. Definitely worth a watch.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

afen posted:

Does anyone know where I can get the Brembo handbrake calipers they use on Ferraris, Vipers and I think GT40s?

These are the one's I'm thinking of: http://www.listerbell.com/78-news/102-brembo-handbrake-calipers-now-available

A bit pricey, so I'm looking to get a used pair.

Here you go:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Brembo-Handbrake-Calipers-/201363085996?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2ee22cdaac

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ferrari-3...=item3f4d96f714

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So I showed that dog video to a couple of coworkers.

The response I got from one just really surprised me. "You wear your sunglasses while doing deliveries? That takes huge balls man".

rear end in a top hat, I'm on 9 loving medications, two of which cause my eyes to dilate a bit. And they're prescription sunglasses. Taking them off and putting on my regular glasses will literally make me look stoned, since I'll have to squint to see anything. I'm sensitive enough to light that I often wear my sunglasses (85%? tint on them) inside the store.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

blk posted:

They're moving in on Colorado too. Part of why I'm refusing to leave the Midwest, despite the tech market out there being massively better. I can afford cars and land here, never happen there.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
You should see house prices (especially in relation to wages) in South-East England.

I think the average age of the first-time buyer is now about 40. This place is a joke, i can't wait to leave.

A lot of people i know genuinely have no chance of ever owning their own house or flat. My sister and her boyfriend are buying a house and are only able to because my dad has lent them money. With a combined income of something like £75k they still couldn't afford a house without help, and they're not even in London.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Liquid Communism posted:

They're moving in on Colorado too. Part of why I'm refusing to leave the Midwest, despite the tech market out there being massively better. I can afford cars and land here, never happen there.

Still? I remember when I moved out of Colorado Springs in 1992 the Californians were showing up and loving up the real estate market. Sad to see they're still at it. I really want to move back, but I have no idea what industries are in CO anymore aside from tourism and the Air Force/Army.

Anywhoo, Colorado kicks rear end, what can a CS degree having CMM inspector/ebeam welder/ shop monkey do there?

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

afen posted:

Does anyone know where I can get the Brembo handbrake calipers they use on Ferraris, Vipers and I think GT40s?

These are the one's I'm thinking of: http://www.listerbell.com/78-news/102-brembo-handbrake-calipers-now-available

A bit pricey, so I'm looking to get a used pair.

Tried Wilwood?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Mooseykins posted:

You should see house prices (especially in relation to wages) in South-East England.

I think the average age of the first-time buyer is now about 40. This place is a joke, i can't wait to leave.

A lot of people i know genuinely have no chance of ever owning their own house or flat. My sister and her boyfriend are buying a house and are only able to because my dad has lent them money. With a combined income of something like £75k they still couldn't afford a house without help, and they're not even in London.

I was down in London a month or so ago and one evening when we got back to the hotel there was a documentary on London housing on the TV and it was loving crazy the terrible piles of poo poo being rented out to people. One room had a loving TREE growing through the floor and out of the window... poo poo was unreal.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Branching out into renting.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Okay, tooth pain is worse today. Thank goodness for old Hydros.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Mooseykins posted:

Solution - move North!

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Front page news on this month's best car magazine:

"The Americans are after the R32!" :v:

Also something about Toyotas super ugly collaboration with Mazda.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

88h88 posted:

I was down in London a month or so ago and one evening when we got back to the hotel there was a documentary on London housing on the TV and it was loving crazy the terrible piles of poo poo being rented out to people. One room had a loving TREE growing through the floor and out of the window... poo poo was unreal.

Yeah, the place is massively overrated and quite poo poo. If it wasn't for the convenience of being able to get practically anything from within the city it would have zero redeeming qualities.

Guy i used to work with rented a room in a meh house in a pretty decent part of NW London (West Hampstead) for like £600/month. For a room! He didn't even get an en-suite!

Bape Culture posted:

Branching out into renting.

Nicely done.

Tomarse posted:

Solution - move North!

Gonna move to Canada instead. So kinda North-West. Hopefully in a year or so. Got my job meeting/interview tomorrow so i've washed the van ready.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

£600 will nearly pay my mortgage, on a 3 bed detached with garage and off street parking. Move north.

My brother is in Northampton and it's nearly as bad as London, he keeps complaining about not being able to afford a place, but he could earn the same anywhere in Britain if he was willing to move.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

RillAkBea posted:

Where are you at again? I'm going back next year and will be mostly be around Osaka (day trips to Hiroshima, Kyoto, Nagoya, and maybe Tokyo and Fukuoka).

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Phone posted:

Where are you at again? I'm going back next year and will be mostly be around Osaka (day trips to Hiroshima, Kyoto, Nagoya, and maybe Tokyo and Fukuoka).

Well if you get down to Fukuoka, you'll be near enough where I'm at!

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Somewhat Heroic posted:

While out driving today I saw a split window corvette go through the intersection a different way. I felt bad that so many around him probably have no idea that his car is more special than being 'just an old corvette'. The wife wasn't in the car either or else I would have pointed it out to her so she could be underwhelmed. :sigh:

My wife has learned to play along. So when I shout out HORRYY SHIEEET AN FC she just nods and waits for me to finish spergiing about how mazda killed off a good looking car for the turdx8. Luckily she likes old cars so when I point out a 2002 or old Volvo she actually wants to look. Now she sends me pictures of cars she thinks are cool when she sees them. Which is mostly old muscle and old Toyotas. She once sent me a four door corolla looking yota with mirrors on the hood and asked if she could have one. :3: So glad I married her.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

RillAkBea posted:

Can you send me some bride glitter backs for my m3??? Thx

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Thought I was hearing some timing chain guide rattle on my 240. Asked for my dad's help in taking them out. Take the upper timing chain cover off and the guides have already been taken out. Let my dad talk me into replacing the upper timing chain.

He does it and now my car sounds like a diesel, there's a new loud exhaust note that wasn't there before, and it's down on power. But he doesn't want to take a test ride with me and can't change he mind frame that I'm 12 and don't know what I'm talking about.

I mean I should be grateful for the free help. But it's worse now than before.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Coredump posted:

Thought I was hearing some timing chain guide rattle on my 240. Asked for my dad's help in taking them out. Take the upper timing chain cover off and the guides have already been taken out. Let my dad talk me into replacing the upper timing chain.

He does it and now my car sounds like a diesel, there's a new loud exhaust note that wasn't there before, and it's down on power. But he doesn't want to take a test ride with me and can't change he mind frame that I'm 12 and don't know what I'm talking about.

I mean I should be grateful for the free help. But it's worse now than before.

Tear that poo poo apart and check for damange and check the timing.

:stare:

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

My sister's house in Denver has appreciated 75k/year since she bought it 4 years ago. It's insane.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

So I decided to clean up the wiring in the chumpcar...

The plan was to trim the wiring harness down to the essentials, but I think it would make more sense at this point to just remove everything and run all new wires. Less chance for weird shorts, easier trouble shooting bla bla bla. Headlights, wipers, radiator fan, tail lights and brake lights will be easy. I'm thinking about going to some LED trailer lights to eliminate the flaky complicated e36 tail lights. The engine wiring harness is intact and includes the fuel pump and DME relays so I need to figure how to interface with that.

oh god i hope I can make it run again

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Where can I post short videos with audio that's not YouTube or Google+?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Coredump posted:

Where can I post short videos with audio that's not YouTube or Google+?

Instagram? Facebook? Vimeo?

Being really lazy right now. Had duty yesterday so just got home like an hour ago. Need to go recycle like seven trash bags of cans/bottles, clean the car, finish a gate, cook my lunch/dinner for the next three days (korean bbq pork and stirfried quinoa) and go pick up our new kitten.

Instead I'm listening to car talk and laying on my dog.

Edit: also, thanks guys for talking about monoprice (str, I think) because I ordered some cables and headphones. Their cheap rear end five dollar headphones fit amazing in my helmet, and are loud as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

User Error posted:

So I decided to clean up the wiring in the chumpcar...

You put those wheels on a Chumpcar? But they're the sexiest BMW wheels ever.. :stare:

• Locked thread