Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Sankis posted:

I don't think there's a Fallout 1+2 thread anywhere but the fallout 4 announcement made me realize I haven't played FO1 or 2 in a long time. Is that Fallout 2 restoration mod that came out years ago any good or is it garbage. those things are only ever one extreme or the other.

Seconding the killaps restoration patch- it restores a LOT of cut content in a way that seems faithful to the original, fixes a shitload of bugs and fixes the graphics to make it playable on modern monitors. Probably worth checking this handy list of changes/additions made by location.

For fallout 1 theres fallout fixt, of which I haven't tried but it seems well reviewed so I'm about to try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Sankis posted:

gamebryo is the name of a middleware they used from Morrowind to Fallout 3new vegas. it's not the name of the bethesda engine. Games like RIFT, Bully, Civilization 4, and defense grid also used it.
Oblivion´s, FO3's & F:NV's game engines were called Gamebryo. Probably some dumb licensing thing since several other games that used the Gamebryo codebase for their engine were called Gamebryo as well.
For emphasis: The problem with Bethesda's engines is their own wonky spaghetti code, baffling QA practices, an animation department that appears to be staffed by a single monkey and questionable design decisions. Gamebryo itself - despite the bad reputation the Internet has given it since Oblivion - is fine.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

If there aren't a bunch of obnoxious ghoulified Red Sox fans that you can shoot in the game, well that's definitely a mod I would pay for.

Good news!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
You know, that garage with the power armor on the lift is probably just a mock up for the trailer, but it'd be cool if the player had a home base and they had to find and assemble their own power armor; it'd make a more fun gating mechanic than another round of "convince someone to teach you". Especially if you play a pre war soldier that already knows how they work.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

If there aren't a bunch of obnoxious ghoulified Red Sox fans that you can shoot in the game, well that's definitely a mod I would pay for.

There's a vault of cloned Nomar Garciaparras that Boston had made a la Vault 2277.

Nomaaaaaaah

Nomah?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Watch them not even have any boston accents and this be the most disappointing fallout.

Falcon24
Sep 9, 2004
With all the talk in this topic of New Vegas vs. Fallout 3 I decided to give FO3 another playthrough, since I haven't played it in maybe six-seven years. Grabbed the GOTY edition on Steam (previously only owned the physical GFWL copy) and downloaded the Tale of Two Wastelands mod that lets you play both games together under the updated New Vegas engine. The TTW mod starts you with the FO3 tutorial and lets you play in that world before going over to New Vegas. Being so many years removed from this game, I was surprised at how bare bones it all felt. Everything, from the map and sound design to the npc dialogue and gameplay just made me think of a beta or proof of concept game. I played through the tutorial and then wandered around Springvale and Megaton for a bit and everything just seemed so....poorly thought out, I guess? Like someone said "this would look cool, let's do it" instead of thinking about actual world building and how to make your setting feel cohesive. When I wandered into Megaton and the sheriff approached me to say "i've only just met you but I like you, you seem like a good guy so hey take a look at disarming our unexploded nuclear bomb", the whole thing felt awkward and contrived.

I guess that's why I don't understand this whole "Fallout 3 had better gameplay and New Vegas was dull" angle. I get some people have their preferences for games but after playing New Vegas, all of Fallout 3 feels like it's really poorly written fan fiction in a disjointed world. I really hope Bethesda takes a cue from New Vegas and works a little bit at making actual functioning societies instead of just more places to shoot things. I'll be disappointed if all those great looking cityscapes they showed in the Fallout 4 trailer end up just being backdrops for shootouts with super mutants or raiders, like DC was.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Watch them not even have any boston accents and this be the most disappointing fallout.

If it's anything like the pitt it'll have accents from somewhere nearby that sound totally different.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
skyrim was better than new vegas in every way

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Shugojin posted:

If it's anything like the pitt it'll have accents from somewhere nearby that sound totally different.

The lack of West Pennsylvania accents in the Pitt was genuinely upsetting.

"AY YINS GAWNA GUP THE TAWR UH KILL ASHUR ERE BUDDY?!"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Shugojin posted:

It's gonna be like how the Scout is supposed to be Bostonian or something (has an achievement that references the Red Sox winning in 2004) but sounds like he's from Brooklyn (and more specifically Vince Offer).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Zzulu posted:

Skyrim certainly had NV beat on the number of essential npcs

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Plan Z posted:

The lack of West Pennsylvania accents in the Pitt was genuinely upsetting.

"AY YINS GAWNA GUP THE TAWR UH KILL ASHUR ERE BUDDY?!"
Yeah I was disappointed that language hadn't degraded to the point where all the raiders spoke Pittsburghese; that's what I liked about Honest Hearts in that the tribals had their own language based on the origin of their survivors (Like how the Deadhorses spoke with German words because their ancestors were German tourists)

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Zzulu posted:

lmao

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Don't you want to sell your soul to several Daedric princes? What do you mean, "NO!" gently caress you, you're doing it anyway at least five times. :v:

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Zzulu posted:

Skyrim was written by children.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

This is a lengthy but it's a merciless yet fair breakdown of the worst of Skyrim. Good read.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

that part on the main quest when you infiltrate the thalmor embassy. that was the most :psyduck: poo poo ever if god forbid you don't have the ubiquitous stealth character

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I'll really miss the humor of Fallout: New Vegas the most. Obsidian writers can write some funny poo poo. I can't remember anything from Fallout 3 that was comedic in a good way.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
New Vegas did everything better. Bethesda should now just make game engines for Obsidian.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

SunAndSpring posted:

I'll really miss the humor of Fallout: New Vegas the most. Obsidian writers can write some funny poo poo. I can't remember anything from Fallout 3 that was comedic in a good way.

Pretty much the entirety of the dialogue in Old World Blues had me in stitches, that and No-Bark Noonan are the two I can pull off the top of my head but there are so many more examples.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

SunAndSpring posted:

This guy and his whole area was cool, I wish they had expanded the finding the national relics part of the game.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Also Moira, who is the best.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I hope they won't do the immortal npc bullshit, it's just so annoying.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
They've been doing it for three games. They'll do it for a fourth.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Baron Bifford posted:

New Vegas did everything better. Bethesda should now just make game engines for Obsidian.

I rather Obsidian team up with CDProjekt. The Red engine seems to actually be well made and not broken (still prone to the jank, though, which is fine). Having great facial animations makes a world of difference and Obsidian's writing make use of that really well.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Point Lookout was also cool and funny in a way that was generally agreeable I think, The duel between desmond and calvert and the braindead cult built around them was a comical situation but also gave you more player choice and options than all the other dlcs. If they go down more that route I'd be pretty happy.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Hey did anyone else notice how hard this trailer worked to avoid showing a closeup on faces

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Falcon24 posted:

I guess that's why I don't understand this whole "Fallout 3 had better gameplay and New Vegas was dull" angle.

I can definitely see why someone would have that opinion if they valued action over role playing. Quests in Fallout 3 almost always involved dungeon exploring and combat. New Vegas had a lot of quests that didn't amount to much more than ping ponging between NPC's, often with several load screens between them. Once you get to Freeside you could potentially end up doing a lot of these in a row without a good fire fight or dungeon crawl to break them up.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Jimbot posted:

I rather Obsidian team up with CDProjekt. The Red engine seems to actually be well made and not broken (still prone to the jank, though, which is fine). Having great facial animations makes a world of difference and Obsidian's writing make use of that really well.

See, the problem there would be that Fallout is good and the Witcher isn't

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

cargohills posted:

I like both, but haven't played 3 yet.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

cargohills posted:

there can only be One Good Video Game and all others are the worst

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

ShadowMar posted:

Pretty sure I didn't say that

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ShadowMar posted:

If you dislike the video game product that I like, that means you dislike me, and if you like the video game product it is impossible to appreciate or enjoy its vague competitor, because that is a betrayal most foul.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Sharkopath posted:

If you dislike the video game product that I like, that means you dislike me, and if you like the video game product it is impossible to appreciate or enjoy its vague competitor, because that is a betrayal most foul.

yea same

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

same, op

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008

Baron Bifford posted:

This, except they should also hire someone else to make the game engine.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Not sure why Bethesda doesn't just offer to let Obsidian collaborate with them. Obsidian is perfectly willing to do so with inXile and seem eager to work on Fallout again. Why not give them the chance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

cargohills posted:

The Witcher 3 is better than any Fallout game in any aspect you could name.

• Locked thread