Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

The show would have been different without her in it. And the show is perfect as it is. Boom

Let's not forget about that slow motion/sweep transition. That was worse than several Janices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Cole posted:

No, Breaking Bad is a perfect show. The Sopranos is one character away from being a perfect show, and that character is Janice.

e: I realize this is worded terribly but you get what I'm saying. Had she got whacked in season 2 or so, things would have been a lot better.

Janice gave us this scene which owns your argument sucks

overtone
Jul 26, 2001
t(o_ot)
I know, and have known, people just like Janice. She's a great character.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

There was so much great stuff that happened because Janice was around - like the episode where she decides to inject herself into Bobby's life and starts manipulating the kids, including sending anonymous chat messages to the kid encouraging him to get out the Ouija board :wtc:

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

zVxTeflon posted:

Janice gave us this scene which owns your argument sucks

And without Janice we would never have seen the funniest, cruelest burn of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZpcWVEyBHs

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Janice is like Peggy Hill where some people get too blinded by the hate to realize hating them is pretty much why theyre the best characters.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Janice is a fantastic character. I'm pretty sure disliking her is objectively wrong.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Bown posted:

Janice is a fantastic character. I'm pretty sure disliking her is objectively wrong.

You're supposed to dislike her. That's her raison d'être. Not appreciating what she adds to show is wrong.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Janice is like Peggy Hill where some people get too blinded by the hate to realize hating them is pretty much why theyre the best characters.

People hate Peggy Hill?

I mean, I get that she's can be pompous about certain things(Spapeggy and Meatballs) but its always in a loveable endearing way. Plus she kicks rear end, literally.

Re: Janice, she's hated because the character is so drat real. A lot of her scenes hit so close to home for people that they can be uncomfortable to watch. For people in the suburbs watching on their couch a mob hit isn't as affecting because its out of the realm of their real life experience, but EVERYONE has had a family member that acts like Janice, even if you only see them once a year at the holidays. Livia's wake is a perfect example, most families have that one person who's going to force their poo poo on others and make it awkward for everyone.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 28, 2015

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Bown posted:

She is great because of how mad she can make Tony. When Livia died, there is a scene were Carm's mother comes in and asks, "How's Tony doing?" and then you hear him scream "GOD drat MOTHER FUCKIN' BITCH!" because Janice didn't want to come to the funeral.

Another scene I love is when Janice first comes to visit and they invite Barb and the family over. They start screaming and hugging people and the camera turns to AJ who is visibly disgusted and is holding his hands over his ears.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I love Tony chasing Janice around the kitchen when she's going on and on about suing the soccer mom she attacked, the coaches, the town, etc.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Janice also demonstrates that Tony is not a one off, that family was screwed up.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

wormil posted:

Janice also demonstrates that Tony is not a one off, that family was screwed up.

The one sister seemed to come out ok.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

They're both perfect divining rods for letting you know whoever fails to comprehend them is a dumb dullard best ignored. :allears:

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Solice Kirsk posted:

She apparently somehow managed to not let Livia control her entire life. Janice fled to the other side of the country but it was still all about mom.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

She was also the baby girl of the family. Janice was the oldest daughter, Tony was the middle child and only male. Anyone from a big family can tell you how that could gently caress you up.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Before today, it never occurred to me that someone would dislike Peggy Hill. Welp, that's communism for you.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Did she really though?

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Barbara Soprano probably has all kinds of neuroses stemming from her upbringing, but as far as we know she's not actively connected to the mob through profession or marriage, so she's leagues above her older siblings for that alone.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ishamael posted:

And without Janice we would never have seen the funniest, cruelest burn of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZpcWVEyBHs

I subconsciously said that out loud right before I clicked the link. Janice was amazing because she was even more broken then Tony but unlike him didn't have anything stable in her life to cling on to. Even coming back and dating Ritchie and Ralph was just because she knew as the sister of the boss being attached to members of the mob would give her some prestige.

Bobby really put up with a lot of poo poo from her, but I loved that deep down she really did help him immensely in getting over his dead wife and that Bobby turned out to be the balliest motherfucker Tony ever crossed, because Tony hosed with a lot of people and broke so many of the mob's "rules" that he never expected comeuppance.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

wormil posted:

Before today, it never occurred to me that someone would dislike Peggy Hill. Welp, that's communism for you.
She actually has a track record of one of the greatest goon trolls of all time, despite being fictional!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Bonzo posted:

She is great because of how mad she can make Tony. When Livia died, there is a scene were Carm's mother comes in and asks, "How's Tony doing?" and then you hear him scream "GOD drat MOTHER FUCKIN' BITCH!" because Janice didn't want to come to the funeral.

Speaking of, that is an amazing episode with Christopher's ramblings, Carmella slamming brandy in every shot, Pussy in the mirror, and who was the old woman in a wheelchair that just randomly speaks up?

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I like Carm's dad's outburst. SHE RUINED CHRISTMAS!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've always loved the ghost guy who comes downstairs, looks in the living room, and then goes back up, during a point where everyone at the wake would be in that one room.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I liked Janice but tbh I don't know how I feel about her in the later seasons, with all the Bobby stuff

I guess it never had a "punchline" but I guess there are no punchlines in real life idk :shrug:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Symbolic Butt posted:

I liked Janice but tbh I don't know how I feel about her in the later seasons, with all the Bobby stuff

I guess it never had a "punchline" but I guess there are no punchlines in real life idk :shrug:

It's her only redeeming aspect.

Bobby was seriously hosed in the head after his wife died, to the point of neglecting his kids and burying loving cakes at her grave. Janice did manipulate his kids and him in order to worm her way into his life but holy poo poo was he much better off with her then without. Plus, he was completely willing to stand up to her which put her on a good path.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

wormil posted:

Speaking of, that is an amazing episode with Christopher's ramblings, Carmella slamming brandy in every shot, Pussy in the mirror, and who was the old woman in a wheelchair that just randomly speaks up?

That was the woman Livia had hit with her car in season one.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Bown posted:

I've always loved the ghost guy who comes downstairs, looks in the living room, and then goes back up, during a point where everyone at the wake would be in that one room.

I thought that was Junior.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I thought the guy coming down the stairs was simply someone who had gone up to take a piss, was on his way back down and saw that bullshit going on, thought 'gently caress that' and went back upstairs to hide for twenty minutes. And it was pretty funny.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

FourLeaf posted:

Barbara Soprano probably has all kinds of neuroses stemming from her upbringing, but as far as we know she's not actively connected to the mob through profession or marriage, so she's leagues above her older siblings for that alone.

She seems to keep her distance. We see her what, three times in the whole show? Anyone with toxic family members knows that's a working strategy. And her whole family beyond her husband and children are toxic.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Barbara Soprano talk just gives me an excuse to post this clip for the hundredth time, AKA the best scene of the entire series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAbldmqXrVg

Most in this thread will know what that is before even clicking on it. Its one of Barbara's very few scenes, but its a memorable one.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Barbara Soprano talk just gives me an excuse to post this clip for the hundredth time, AKA the best scene of the entire series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAbldmqXrVg

Most in this thread will know what that is before even clicking on it. Its one of Barbara's very few scenes, but its a memorable one.

Well that's one of the greatest Sopranos quotes ever.

I"ve waffled a lot of my favorite episode but from personal preference I think my absolute favorite is Commendatori. You get a crazy amount of development from that one episode

- Chrissy's heroin addiction given a full court press as he botches an opportunity that made men would kill for
- Paulie's Italian fetish hitting reality as he meets a culture he cannot relate to and does not understand
- Tony not getting what he expects with seeing a big time boss and having to deal with a local guy then later the wife of a jailed higher-up
- Angie freaking out and wanting to break off from Pussy (good loving choice)
- Cam and Janice sharing about their perception of mob husbands

I think my favorite part of the episode is how the US mob tries to pretend there is some familial connection to the old school mafia when they are a huge embarrassment and generally shocked by how their Old-School family does poo poo.

edit: How shocking can you get, Furio (Federico Castelluccio) is world famous as an expert painter in the old world Baraque style, and he'd be filthy rich just from his art alone.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jun 7, 2015

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Even more shockingly, he's got a great webpage. http://www.federicocastelluccio.com

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I don't know what I expected, but it wasn't bitcoin.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
You got a bitcoin on your hat *knocks off baseball cap*

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Bit-a coin

kippa
Aug 10, 2005

Fry, it's been three days. You can't keep boogie-ing like this. You'll come down with a fever of some sort.

Stupid-a facking currency.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I just imagined a scene where Chris tries to explain bitcoins to Paulie.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
You're telling me the money comes from a fuckin computah?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Yeah, but you gotta pay to get it out of the computer.

I gotta pay to get the money you owe me? gently caress that, you gotta pay. You shove your buttcoins up your rear end and give me cash. Hey T, hear that? I called them buttcoins and to shove them up his rear end!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Man, the world's changed so much technologically since the series ended. I'd love a 'where are they now' feature about Paulie trying to work out what the gently caress an iPad is. :allears:

• Locked thread