Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
today i was dicking around in a parking lot and almost slid into a beemer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
What was the beemer's name?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
^^ Wilhelm Conrad Roentgen ^^

JFC, not over-riding your sight lines doesn't mean doing 20 through every corner. It means if your sight lines drop to like, 20 feet, you slow down quite a bit, and if your sight lines are wide open, you have some fun and let them rip. Do wheelies down roads when they're dual lanes with big concrete barriers in the medians and no cross streets.

Once you know how to ride a bike (figure 1-2 years of higher risk while you sort that out if you're good at learning new skills), high risk on a motorcycle is basically 80% determined by where you choose to go fast and where you choose to go slow. The other 20% of the risk comes out when your ambition outweighs your talent. Riding with respect to what you can see fixes most of that 80%. Not donging out of control fixes the other 20%. Once you're there, motorcycles aren't some huge, brass ball enabling risky activity. I rack up 15k or so a year, including regular commuting in all weather and track/weekend riding, and I haven't been in an accident in quite awhile. Most of my friends ride fast in the fast places and slow in the slow places, and they're all doing just fine with no serious injuries despite slamming down loads of miles in the last decade or so. Those that have crashed have gotten away with minor injuries thanks to choosing the right places to engage in high risk activities.

Some great riders I know did really high risk things regularly for decades before finally getting killed by it. Motorcycles are dangerous to some degree, sure, but don't speed in stupid places, and don't let the red mist rule how you ride, and it's just not that dangerous. Riding a motorcycle doesn't make you the Randian Ubermensch of Risk or anything.

Don't be a dumbass, and motorcycles aren't that loving dangerous.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Mods, can I get a name change to either 'Donging out of control', 'Randian Ubermensch of Risk' or any combination of the two? TIA

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Razzled posted:

today i was dicking around in a parking lot and almost slid into a beemer

Whoa poo poo, really? It's usually the other way around. If you actually hit it, just claim the fucker came out of nowhere and hit ya. Cops will charge that shithead.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Odette posted:

Whoa poo poo, really? It's usually the other way around. If you actually hit it, just claim the fucker came out of nowhere and hit ya. Cops will charge that shithead.

I can do two different posts on this one:

1) it's not very nice to the dentist whose beemer you almost hit, and even if he's swaddled in hi-viz aerostich, he's still another rider. since this is a bike sub forum we should all know by now that 'beemer' refers strictly to bikes, not cars

2) if that's how that dent got put in the rear quarter panel of my bimmer while it was parked in the cabelas parking lot, I'm gonna find the dong who wheelied into it and piss on his seat :argh:

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Z3n posted:

^^ Wilhelm Conrad Roentgen ^^

I hope one day my beard is as epic as his was.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

bird cooch posted:

Mods, can I get a name change to either 'Donging out of control', 'Randian Ubermensch of Risk' or any combination of the two? TIA

Really regretting not going for "Randian Ubermench of Donging" now.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

M42 posted:

I paid money for this to happen, too.

On the plus side, someone I know bought the ninja! So I may get to ride it again :swoon:

Here's a project for when you get the piston back:

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Chris Knight posted:

How much shipped to SoCal?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Chichevache posted:

If you click the upside down question mark under your avatar it will start showing posts besides yours. :eng101:

I know I'm late to this, but :boom:

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
So today, good weather, decided to do my weekly run around the local reservoir, practicing low speed on the twisty road. Get to the end of the road where it's all straight again, decide to take the back route to the other reservoir.

Wanted to hit the twisty road that goes back up the hill to the road and go back home, but the road is blocked so I have to take a detour that takes me to a North-South running highway. Get on the road and hit a gas station. I realize I'm not but a 15 minute ride to a local river park, straight up this highway, so I decide to continue North after topping off. Lots of red plate motorcycles on the road and at the gas station, I do feel a little inferior on my white plate Yamaha 150, but we've all got to start somewhere, right?

Go North, get to the town, traffic sucks. Traffic sucks at the park and it's jam packed because it's Sunday. I squeeze by and get to the other side, pull off, check my cell phone to look for alternate roads back. One is just about 2 kilometers ahead. Stuff my cell phone back into my pocket, wait for traffic to clear, about three groups of red plate cruisers go roaring by, most of the riders wearing some kind of leather jacket with a club emblem on them. Didn't think they had those kinds of clubs here.

I find a gap between the last group and a BMW 5-series, get on the gas and decide to play keep up. Of course, I don't push it, these guys are running bigger bikes than me and I don't feel like stuffing it by sliding off into a betel nut farm. But they're cruising along lazily, and the road is bendy, but nothing harsh. I can push my bike without over-riding my sight. Eventually a Nissan Sentra blasts around me on the double yellow, then drops anchor as we come into a village, and I lose sight of the bikers. He makes it his job to keep me from passing him, slowing down, hogging left when I'm behind him, and drifting over into the scooter/motorbike lane when I'm there. Eventually he makes a right hand turn in the most assholish way possible so that I almost have to stop to let him turn before I can proceed.

I pull off, check my cell phone again - I've overshot my turn off by about 2km and am sitting across from the next turn off. Except it's a pretty narrow looking farm road. Not wanting to become Ag equipment, I decide to press on to the next town where there's a main road that runs to a parallel highway that avoids most of the small villages.

Keep going and eventually someone on a Kymco or SYM 125 starts painting himself in my rear view mirror. About this time I start to think maybe I've been braking too much and not leaning enough in the corners. But I'm also new to motorcycles and the guy is running whatever "hot" version 125 scooter he has, and I'm only on a 150, so we've both got about the same top end speed and performance.

Rest of the trip is uneventful. I make my turn, drop down out of the foot hills and onto the plains. Lovely smell of fertilizer as I drive past the fields. Get back home, I've been gone for almost two hours. Was fun, and I suppose not bad for an unplanned trip. Going to try to make it out to the coast next weekend. My goal is to try for the nearby landmark mountain in two weeks, but we'll see where my confidence and pocketbook stand. I've done it once on my scooter, shouldn't be an issue on my motorcycle.

TL;DR: went for a short 10 minute drive, took a 2 hour detour into the mountains. I think I'm enjoying this, but I'm still a newbie.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

YF19pilot posted:

So today, good weather, decided to do my weekly run around the local reservoir, practicing low speed on the twisty road. Get to the end of the road where it's all straight again, decide to take the back route to the other reservoir.

Wanted to hit the twisty road that goes back up the hill to the road and go back home, but the road is blocked so I have to take a detour that takes me to a North-South running highway. Get on the road and hit a gas station. I realize I'm not but a 15 minute ride to a local river park, straight up this highway, so I decide to continue North after topping off. Lots of red plate motorcycles on the road and at the gas station, I do feel a little inferior on my white plate Yamaha 150, but we've all got to start somewhere, right?

Go North, get to the town, traffic sucks. Traffic sucks at the park and it's jam packed because it's Sunday. I squeeze by and get to the other side, pull off, check my cell phone to look for alternate roads back. One is just about 2 kilometers ahead. Stuff my cell phone back into my pocket, wait for traffic to clear, about three groups of red plate cruisers go roaring by, most of the riders wearing some kind of leather jacket with a club emblem on them. Didn't think they had those kinds of clubs here.

I find a gap between the last group and a BMW 5-series, get on the gas and decide to play keep up. Of course, I don't push it, these guys are running bigger bikes than me and I don't feel like stuffing it by sliding off into a betel nut farm. But they're cruising along lazily, and the road is bendy, but nothing harsh. I can push my bike without over-riding my sight. Eventually a Nissan Sentra blasts around me on the double yellow, then drops anchor as we come into a village, and I lose sight of the bikers. He makes it his job to keep me from passing him, slowing down, hogging left when I'm behind him, and drifting over into the scooter/motorbike lane when I'm there. Eventually he makes a right hand turn in the most assholish way possible so that I almost have to stop to let him turn before I can proceed.

I pull off, check my cell phone again - I've overshot my turn off by about 2km and am sitting across from the next turn off. Except it's a pretty narrow looking farm road. Not wanting to become Ag equipment, I decide to press on to the next town where there's a main road that runs to a parallel highway that avoids most of the small villages.

Keep going and eventually someone on a Kymco or SYM 125 starts painting himself in my rear view mirror. About this time I start to think maybe I've been braking too much and not leaning enough in the corners. But I'm also new to motorcycles and the guy is running whatever "hot" version 125 scooter he has, and I'm only on a 150, so we've both got about the same top end speed and performance.

Rest of the trip is uneventful. I make my turn, drop down out of the foot hills and onto the plains. Lovely smell of fertilizer as I drive past the fields. Get back home, I've been gone for almost two hours. Was fun, and I suppose not bad for an unplanned trip. Going to try to make it out to the coast next weekend. My goal is to try for the nearby landmark mountain in two weeks, but we'll see where my confidence and pocketbook stand. I've done it once on my scooter, shouldn't be an issue on my motorcycle.

TL;DR: went for a short 10 minute drive, took a 2 hour detour into the mountains. I think I'm enjoying this, but I'm still a newbie.

Sounds about right. Usually it's a 'trip to the store' for me tho. Worry less about what other people are doing but also about what you are doing. Early on you should just focus on the basics of riding a bike, you don't need to be knee down in the turns.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I know I'm late to this, but :boom:

Eh I only give 5/10 cause I wasn't actually involved in the bullshit and if it was me like that, I wouldn't be able to see his post.

Needs improvement but good progess, keep trying Chivachache

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

HotCanadianChick posted:

I can do two different posts on this one:

1) it's not very nice to the dentist whose beemer you almost hit, and even if he's swaddled in hi-viz aerostich, he's still another rider. since this is a bike sub forum we should all know by now that 'beemer' refers strictly to bikes, not cars

2) if that's how that dent got put in the rear quarter panel of my bimmer while it was parked in the cabelas parking lot, I'm gonna find the dong who wheelied into it and piss on his seat :argh:

)3 literally nobody outside of pedantic BMW fanboys knows or cares about a perceived difference between "bimmer" and "beemer", except that one is more appropriate when enquiring as to which of your friends has the keys to it.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Linedance posted:

)3 literally nobody outside of pedantic BMW fanboys knows or cares about a perceived difference between "bimmer" and "beemer", except that one is more appropriate when enquiring as to which of your friends has the keys to it.

what is the actual difference (it was an occupied car in this case)

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Chris Knight posted:

You gave him a Rickenbacker, awesome.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Razzled posted:

One is spelt with an 'ee' and one is spelt with an 'i'. That is the actual difference.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Linedance posted:

One is spelt with an 'ee' and one is spelt with an 'i'. That is the actual difference.

And both piss off yuppie cunts when used "incorrectly"!

Got stuck riding behind an Orange County sheriff the other day for almost all of my 45 mile commute. Orange County is well over an hour from here, but oh well. The funny thing was, he refused to put a foot down at any stop light unless we had been there for over 90 seconds or so. He would stop like ten feet back and then just start doing really quick throttle and brake stabs to stay upright.

So I spent two hours in the parking lot at work yesterday practicing the same thing :v:

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

I always assume when cops are way outta their zone like that they had to go to court or something like that, and wonder if they'd bother (or were allowed) to pull me over.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

And both piss off yuppie cunts when used "incorrectly"!

Got stuck riding behind an Orange County sheriff the other day for almost all of my 45 mile commute. Orange County is well over an hour from here, but oh well. The funny thing was, he refused to put a foot down at any stop light unless we had been there for over 90 seconds or so. He would stop like ten feet back and then just start doing really quick throttle and brake stabs to stay upright.

So I spent two hours in the parking lot at work yesterday practicing the same thing :v:

Eventually you get good enough that you can load up the throttle and clutch against the rear brake and creep forward super duper slowly so it looks like you're standing still.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Slavvy posted:

Eventually you get good enough that you can load up the throttle and clutch against the rear brake and creep forward super duper slowly so it looks like you're standing still.

That's fairly easy, but this guy was coming to a complete stop, hovering, then go forward maybe six inches and do it all again. No wobble or even looking unbalanced.

On a giant rear end cop bike.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Razzled posted:

BMW has been making bikes longer than they've made cars, and in their early days a lot of people would race beemers (BMWs) against beezers (BSAs).

A bimmer is just a car.

And it's useful to distinguish whether you're talking about a bike owned by a hi-viz aerostich wearing dentist or the car driven by his trophy wife.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

HotCanadianChick posted:

BMW has been making bikes longer than they've made cars, and in their early days a lot of people would race beemers (BMWs) against beezers (BSAs).

A bimmer is just a car.

And it's useful to distinguish whether you're talking about a bike owned by a hi-viz aerostich wearing dentist or the car driven by his trophy wife.

I've never heard anyone pronounce the word "beezer", but I can guarantee it would sound a whole lot more like "bizzah" than the way you would think to pronounce it, because in the language these words would have been initially and primarily pronounced, the sound of "beem" and "bim" are functionally near enough as makes no difference, and wouldn't have done when people riding bimma bikes started driving bimma cars.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
A near little climate control unit you put on your tail:
http://www.bikeairusa.com/how-entrosys-bikeair-works.html

Seems pretty nifty, but somewhat impractical. Decent price if it works really well.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

astrollinthepork posted:

Seems pretty nifty, but somewhat impractical. Decent price if it works really well.

"Huh, that looks really dumb. What kind of ninny can't handle summer wea-*sees heat setting on remote* OKAY how much are they and when can I get one*sees FIFTEEN HUNDRED DOLLARS* nah I'm good."

Truly, that WOULD be perfect to strap to your kitted out bmw, but 1500 buys a lot of warm or cool gear, that (gear won't look like you are riding on life support).

edit: I live in a very hot and humid/cold climate, but it's nothing like what people up north or in arizona get. For them, this would be great, and I'd probably consider it too.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

astrollinthepork posted:

150 watts of cooling doesn't sound like much, it would still probably melt my VFR's electrics though. :sweatdrop:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

astrollinthepork posted:

Patented solid-state high-performance ThermoElectric (TE) air-conditioning system

How to spell "peltier element" with fancy words.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Ahhh yeah that feeling of a fresh full-synth oil/filter change, clutch cable adjustment, and lubed chain. :feelsgood:

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

monsterzero posted:

Fault is great for getting a settlement for your bereaved but pointless as far as safe roadcraft goes. If you don't have time to avoid an unexpected obstacle appearing in your lane around a turn, you're going too fast for the conditions.

This is the perfect embodiment of the cyclist mindset - when I'm complaining about cyclists forcing motorists across the double yellow into my lane during a turn, since they refuse to stay single file and as far (as safely) possible to the right, I'm met with "well you shouldn't be going so fast".

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
The fuckheads crossing into your lane to pass a cyclist without waiting for you to go by are so much worse than the cyclist, though.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You probably shouldn't be. It's the street, not a race track. Who knows what's around any/every blind corner?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Frosty- posted:

The fuckheads crossing into your lane to pass a cyclist without waiting for you to go by are so much worse than the cyclist, though.

Thing is, they're just not that scary to me when they're in their own lane. As they would be, if the cyclists had maintained a single file position (as required by law).

clutchpuck posted:

You probably shouldn't be. It's the street, not a race track. Who knows what's around any/every blind corner?

I always go the legal turn speed limit (different than the overall speed limit), thanks for the baseless assumption though. The fact that I'm here posting this with intact limbs is testament to the fact that I assume these idiots are around every corner.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

clutchpuck posted:

Agreed, 40 on a straight is way too fast.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Radbot posted:

I always go the legal turn speed limit (different than the overall speed limit), thanks for the baseless assumption though. The fact that I'm here posting this with intact limbs is testament to the fact that I assume these idiots are around every corner.

Think of the limit as the upper limit, not the lower limit, maybe you'll be less stressed about cyclists? Better yet, learn where they don't ride, then ride there.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

clutchpuck posted:

Think of the limit as the upper limit, not the lower limit, maybe you'll be less stressed about cyclists? Better yet, learn where they don't ride, then ride there.

Nah, I think I'll keep riding as I am currently as it's worked out pretty well for me. If you know of any roads where cyclists aren't present on weekends in the Front Range of Colorado, that'd be news to me.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

tranten posted:

I always assume when cops are way outta their zone like that they had to go to court or something like that, and wonder if they'd bother (or were allowed) to pull me over.

My friend had to take a traffic class because he got a ticket for racing, and in that class he was told all Arizona cops have jurisdiction across the state. I don't know about anywhere else, but I make sure I'm on my (almost) best behavior if I see any cop.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Radbot posted:

This is the perfect embodiment of the cyclist mindset - when I'm complaining about cyclists forcing motorists across the double yellow into my lane during a turn, since they refuse to stay single file and as far (as safely) possible to the right, I'm met with "well you shouldn't be going so fast".

It is possible to arrive at the correct conclusion using the wrong reasoning.

Go fast when you can see your line is free of obstacles, go slow when you can't see what's in front of you. Slower traffic should yield to faster traffic and people who cross the centerline in blind turns should be doused in guzzoline and immolated. This ins't controversial. I don't get why we're arguing.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I'm saying that cyclists, in my area at least, illegally ride multiple-abreast and cause me to have to take evasive action too frequently for my taste. That's it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
What is your point, then? That's A Cyclist Thing, everywhere all the time. Nobody is going to get them to stop doing that and every other idiotic thing you could think of, so the best course of action for a rider is to just be constantly prepared for them [and if you are doing evasive stuff, then you're not prepared], or ride where they aren't. Going too loving slow for everybody's tastes is simply the reality around cyclists. They're all unpredictable traffic obstructions, treat them like deer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

clutchpuck posted:

What is your point, then? That's A Cyclist Thing, everywhere all the time. Nobody is going to get them to stop doing that and every other idiotic thing you could think of, so the best course of action for a rider is to just be constantly prepared for them, or ride where they aren't. Going too loving slow for everybody's tastes is simply the reality around cyclists. They're all unpredictable traffic obstructions, treat them like deer.

It's almost like this is a chat thread and we're talking about things we encounter as motorcyclists.