Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It's not a big deal and it only lasts for the month or that it happens.

Why do you hate freedom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It's not a big deal and it only lasts for the month or that it happens.

It is a very big deal for the sponsors when the ACLU get an injunction in place before the event and anyone can walk around marketing at their paid for audience :qq:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

etalian posted:

well most of it due to how most places don't have huge stadiums.

The 1994 world cup at the US didn't have to build new stuff but on the flip side it meant teams had to travel all over the country for the games.
They typically do that anyway, as a way of having the whole country able to watch matches. While that might be a sizable difference when comparing 94 to, say, 2006, its not really that much bigger than having a Cup in Brazil or Russia. A bigger problem, if I remember correctly, was that a lot of the stadiums' sidelines were very cramped since a soccer field is bigger than an American football field.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Every US pro football stadium built since 1995 (read: nearly all of them now) meets FIFA specs for hosting a World Cup game. On top of that, there are the ginormous college stadiums like Michigan, Tennessee, the Cotton Bowl, the Rose Bowl, etc. You could just have every group play in two nearby stadiums and still have plenty of unique arenas for knockout rounds. A setup like this:

Group H plays their games at Raymond James Stadium (Tampa) and Everbank Field (Jacksonville), the winner of the group gets their Round of 16 game at (whatever the new thing Atlanta is building)

would be pretty doable multiplied eight times around the country.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Why does America have ginormous college stadiums (and even high school stadiums :psyduck:) in the first place? Germany the rest of the world is obsessed with real football but a college pitch here is at most a lawn with white lines, some lights, and a haphazardly constructed seating area.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

blowfish posted:

Why does America have ginormous college stadiums (and even high school stadiums :psyduck:) in the first place? Germany the rest of the world is obsessed with real football but a college pitch here is at most a lawn with white lines, some lights, and a haphazardly constructed seating area.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pX8BXH3SJn0

Essentially to remain non-profits colleges spend all the money they make from athletics hilariously inefficiently.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
There is also the general difference that in the US the schools are responsible for developing young athletes, whereas in Europe that's done by the clubs.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Lid posted:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pX8BXH3SJn0

Essentially to remain non-profits colleges spend all the money they make from athletics hilariously inefficiently.

On the flipside, they spend their money horribly inefficiently in order to get potential athletics money down the line, like raising $40M to build a football stadium that is not projected to be profitable for at least ten years (by pie-in-the-sky projections), while still raising tuition and fees and offering fewer school-backed scholarships (as opposed to endowment-backed), as well as adding a new separate athletics fee when the foundation isn't raising the money fast enough.

College sports is a racket in and of itself.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

blowfish posted:

The NCAA is the American version of FIFA. Except our players don't even get paid. There have been numerous stories about players at schools not having enough money for food (because you also can't get a part time job and play football) while the coaches are making millions each year and the school builds these giant stadiums. And the school typically has rules in place that a large percent of the football money has to stay within the program, so you get things like Alabama having nicer training facilities than most pro teams.

As a result, all the largest stadiums in the country are for college football, not professional football because the college teams in some areas (Alabama, Oklahoma, etc) are the only real sports team around and they also can draw on all the people who went to school there to come to games.

If you've never seen an American college football game it's a crazy sight to behold.

axeil fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 7, 2015

az
Dec 2, 2005

Russia and Qatar may lose World Cups if evidence of bribery is found

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

axeil posted:

The NCAA is the American version of FIFA. Except our players don't even get paid. There have been numerous stories about players at schools not having enough money for food (because you also can't get a part time job and play football) while the coaches are making millions each year and the school builds these giant stadiums. And the school typically has rules in place that a large percent of the football money has to stay within the program, so you get things like Alabama having nicer training facilities than most pro teams.

As a result, all the largest stadiums in the country are for college football, not professional football because the college teams in some areas (Alabama, Oklahoma, etc) are the only real sports team around and they also can draw on all the people who went to school there to come to games.

If you've never seen an American college football game it's a crazy sight to behold.

If you have Netflix and just over an hour to burn, check out Schooled: The Price of College Sports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXfpybD-pig

As stated, FIFA and the NCAA should both be killed so they can finally rub shoulders in hell.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
John Oliver also did a bit on the NCAA (just as he did FIFA).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX8BXH3SJn0

Edit: I am an idiot and this was posted further up the page.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

blowfish posted:

College Football acts as a minor league of sorts and it is also extremely popular.

Tons of college stadiums are actually much larger than professional stadiums (because they use benches a lot of times instead of dedicated seats). Of the top 10 largest stadiums in the world, 8 are for American Football, and 7 are college stadiums, and all of these have a capacity of at least 100,000.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
You people are reading too much into the college football stadium sizes issue. There's a few reasons that have a lot more to do with it than the complaining JO was on about. The first is that there are only twelve games a year (so something like 8 home games and 4 away for the big teams because they can rent out lovely teams to come over and lose to them) and if there's only 12 times a year to see your team then people are going to show up at a greater rate than in other leagues. People forget that despite college football having the biggest stadiums around, annual attendance at the Big House or Beav is a lot lower than annual attendance for those areas' NFL teams. Thats what having over twice as many games will do for someone.

Furthermore, the stadiums aren't actually all that much bigger, physically. They are just 85% bleacher seating with the fans packed in like sardines. If they actually gave people chairbacks like in the NFL the seat disparity would probably be eliminated entirely.

Someone else said that college teams get treated as pro-teams by areas without an NFL franchise and that's too true. What he didn't say was that geographically the US is so large that there are a ton of areas without NFL teams. Even areas that do have pro-teams will often have gotten them in the 90s or late eighties, while having college teams with loyal fanbases which stretch back decades. The lack of pro/rel makes it so that the divide between the NFL and whatever competitors it has is super large as well. Like if I wanted to support my local minor league football team, fine I guess but 95% of my neighbors wouldn't even be able to tell you who they are (or they'd gently caress the question up and say Penn State.) If you want to support football based in central PA you don't really get a choice, you can go Penn State or you can go gently caress it and cheer for the Eagles or Steelers who aren't in central PA.

People tend to forget that historically college football was actually even bigger (compared to pro-football) than it is now. The NFL used to be a bunch of nobodies playing in smaller mid-western towns. The Big Ten/Notre Dame and Ivy League were the equivalents of the majors. Though, of course, baseball and boxing dwarfed them both back then.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

blowfish posted:

Because they fill them up? The last time Michigan had under 100,000 in attendance was in the 70s.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cliff Racer posted:

People tend to forget that historically college football was actually even bigger (compared to pro-football) than it is now. The NFL used to be a bunch of nobodies playing in smaller mid-western towns. The Big Ten/Notre Dame and Ivy League were the equivalents of the majors. Though, of course, baseball and boxing dwarfed them both back then.

Also, areas with professional sports teams that suck often fall back on storied college teams in their area. Being a Florida native and resident, for example, easily the three most popular sports teams in the state are the University of Florida Gators, Florida State University Seminoles, and University of Miami Hurricanes. Our pro sports teams of all stripes range from inconsistent to just plain bad, so the college teams are usually Florida's sports standard bearers for natives.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

axeil posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cl-f8NABMM

I love at the end when Stephen Fry is already overwhelmed, and then the look of shock after being surprised by the :911: fighter jet flyby :911:.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Everybody should cheer for the success of collegiate rugby, which (aside from a few women's programs) exists wholly outside of the NCAA, yet still is getting some TV exposure through NBC

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
And of course the new up and coming college sport!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NvDiJe9keQ

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

blowfish posted:

http://espn.go.com/ncaa/revenue

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp

blowfish posted:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2014/05/20/texas_high_school_district_closes_60_million_stadium_due_to_structural_flaws.html

Because? Also, the people in town voted for this to get built, that is americas mentality towards education these days. Have a kid get um in sport, profit.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I never even knew that they built entire new stadiums every single time until the last world cup. That's so mind-bogglingly crazy to me.

They never used to build new stadiums, and in fact used to only entertain bidders who already had decently sized grounds already.

Then Fifa officials started giving world cups to countries that needed massive building projects then heavily pushed said countries into using the services of their relatives.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

They never used to build new stadiums, and in fact used to only entertain bidders who already had decently sized grounds already.

Then Fifa officials started giving world cups to countries that needed massive building projects then heavily pushed said countries into using the services of their relatives.

probably because big projects provides more kickback fun for all involved parties.

FIFA/IOC also loves making countries grovel, we need a special lane so our officials won't have to be stuck in traffic or use mass transit like everyone else.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

etalian posted:

probably because big projects provides more kickback fun for all involved parties.

FIFA/IOC also loves making countries grovel, we need a special lane so our officials won't have to be stuck in traffic or use mass transit like everyone else.

Burn Fifa to the ground :v:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
To be fair, if Allen also rents that thing out for concerts they could actually make money off of it just like pro arenas do. Provided it weren't literally falling apart, of course.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Everybody should cheer for the success of collegiate rugby, which (aside from a few women's programs) exists wholly outside of the NCAA, yet still is getting some TV exposure through NBC

Ultimate frisbee is also entirely outside the clutches of the NCAA, and like football in the early 1900s the game at the college/amateur club level is way way better than the pro level. Of course I don't think I've even seen anyone on this forum that knows much about ultimate, let alone plays it but it's a really good game if you wanna support your local university and also jot support the NCAA.

Plus the traditional ultimate powers aren't all the same teams as in college football. Colorado has a terrible football team but have one of the best ultimate squads out there. University of Pittsburgh too.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

axeil posted:

Ultimate frisbee is also entirely outside the clutches of the NCAA, and like football in the early 1900s the game at the college/amateur club level is way way better than the pro level. Of course I don't think I've even seen anyone on this forum that knows much about ultimate, let alone plays it but it's a really good game if you wanna support your local university and also jot support the NCAA.

Plus the traditional ultimate powers aren't all the same teams as in college football. Colorado has a terrible football team but have one of the best ultimate squads out there. University of Pittsburgh too.

Never trust a sport that has an adjective in its name

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
In middle school we had ultimate in physical education for a trimester. Fun but not that memorable.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 7, 2015

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Blue Star Error posted:

Never trust a sport that has an adjective in its name

This rule needs ', was first featured in a book, or is called Kronum' as an addition.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Unless you have someone like, idk, us do it.

I'M not working on that drat thing, you leave me out of this :mad:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Total Meatlove posted:

This rule needs ', was first featured in a book, or is called Kronum' as an addition.

Nonsense, Moopsball is the sport of kings. Kings!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I could die happy if they brought in a real Jugger league.

NB - I don't mean the pissy little one that exists now. I mean real dog skulls and crazy people with metal whips.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

computer parts posted:

College Football acts as a minor league of sorts and it is also extremely popular.

Tons of college stadiums are actually much larger than professional stadiums (because they use benches a lot of times instead of dedicated seats). Of the top 10 largest stadiums in the world, 8 are for American Football, and 7 are college stadiums, and all of these have a capacity of at least 100,000.

I grew up in Tennessee and went to the university of Tennessee Knoxville briefly. Neyland stadium holds 104k people, and on a normal match day it it was 80%+ full. lovely IA teams not so much, Florida or Georgia? Over sold. Neyland was the largest college stadium when I went there, now Michigan stadium aka the Big house is, at 107k (coincidently, I'm going to the university of Michigan now :haw: ). It's also nearly as full, as Neyland is, normally. This ain't no NFL or MLS, they pull massive numbers because of the cult of college football. People are rabid fans on a much larger scale than professional football. Soccer is making huge strides, but it's got a long away to go to match American pro football and even longer to go to match college football. Maybe burning FIFA to the ground will help with soccer's popularity here :v:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

OniPanda posted:

I grew up in Tennessee and went to the university of Tennessee Knoxville briefly. Neyland stadium holds 104k people, and on a normal match day it it was 80%+ full. lovely IA teams not so much, Florida or Georgia? Over sold. Neyland was the largest college stadium when I went there, now Michigan stadium aka the Big house is, at 107k (coincidently, I'm going to the university of Michigan now :haw: ). It's also nearly as full, as Neyland is, normally. This ain't no NFL or MLS, they pull massive numbers because of the cult of college football. People are rabid fans on a much larger scale than professional football. Soccer is making huge strides, but it's got a long away to go to match American pro football and even longer to go to match college football. Maybe burning FIFA to the ground will help with soccer's popularity here :v:

Yeah, I really think a big part of the crowd draw in College football is that most of the participants aren't "just fans".
These are people who can point to the school and say, "I went there. I knew Johnny Football before he was drafted. That's my school's team. I'm one of them."

It's more personal, more inclusive. You have generations of students who grew up and were friends with stars and legends. You can't buy that loyalty.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Everyone seems to be ignoring the elephant in the room that is Big Quidditch in the form of the IQA:
http://www.iqaquidditch.org

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Scaramouche posted:

Everyone seems to be ignoring the elephant in the room that is Big Quidditch in the form of the IQA:
http://www.iqaquidditch.org

*looks at Kramer briefly*

"So George..."

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Either you pay me or I flay you alive... With my mind!
BBC News: Blatter 'agreed to $10m donation' over 2010 World Cup

Its getting interesting!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm sure they just donated the ten million out of the goodness of their hearts with no possibly thought for anything in return.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Poil posted:

I'm sure they just donated the ten million out of the goodness of their hearts with no possibly thought for anything in return.

They seem the generous donating types to me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Poil posted:

I had no idea the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court posted on SA.

• Locked thread