Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I hope no one else finds out about all the retainers and advisors that he burnt to death before :ohdear:

yeah but they weren't his own drat family you stupid moron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genetic squares
Feb 17, 2009

It's all going square

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Well your fanfic version of stannis maybe

You mean the Stannis that tells them to pray harder instead of burning unbelievers?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

oatgan posted:

Stannis would let his men starve before he burned the daughter he has always refused to give up on

I think if Davos were around when Melisandre convinces Stannis he could talk Stannis out of it. There's a duality to Stannis, but we're late in the series now and the at-all-costs version that Melisandre sees is going to win out over the justice-above-all version Davos sees.

Not to mention that if he doesn't burn Shireen she dies of starvation anyway. They could've made the choice harder by making it so the army could make it back to Castle Black for the Winter but has no hope of taking Winterfell without magic, that way it'd be explicitly Stannis choosing to burn Shireen rather than lose the war. Instead it's burn Shireen or freeze to death - I guess Stannis could've chosen to burn himself (King's blood!) so his army and Shireen could escape?

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Man how do the great houses and families of westeros follow this man who ordered one of his highest knight to rape and kill a defenseless woman and her kids

The people will never stand for it

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

El Hefe posted:

A personal attack on me because of your starry eye version of Stannis Baratheon, the same Stannis Baratheon who personally magick'd his own flesh and blood brother to death, came crumpling down

My, my my my, you can say the tempers are flaring up in this thread

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

So apparently Theon lost part of his arc to Sansa, to neither one's benefit.

Jesus, how did they gently caress up the good parts of AFFC and ADWD

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Genetic squares posted:

You mean the Stannis that tells them to pray harder instead of burning unbelievers?

No not that one, the one that was totally willing to let his entire garrison at storms end starve to death before they did anything like eat the dead or surrender

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

El Hefe posted:

its not bad that Shireen dies, or even that Melisandre burns her but that Stannis actually consents and lets Mel burn her right in front of him, its so out of character both in the books and show

Yep. In the books, Melisandre is going to sacrifice Shireen but the important thing is that she'll do it while Stannis is not there. The plot point is not the problem, it's Stannis' involvement in it. It's another in a long line of show changes where they have chosen to emphasize certain aspects of Stannis' character to make him more villainous while dialing back on his sympathetic or admirable traits. In the books, he only burns Alester Florent (tried to sell Shireen to the Lannisters), "Mance", and the cannibals (men who murdered others during the March to Winterfell) and he held out on burning Edric until all three kings were dead (and even then, he told Melisandre she would die "by inches" if it failed). In the show, he burns everyone and was eager to burn Gendry after only one king's death. In the books, Stannis pardons Davos after he gives him the "cart before the horse" speech. In the show, Stannis was going to still going to kill Davos until Melisandre told him not to. Now he's sacrificing his heir, whereas in the books he told Justin Massey that he should crown Shireen if he dies. It's ridiculous.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 7, 2015

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

oatgan posted:

No not that one, the one that was totally willing to let his entire garrison at storms end starve to death before they did anything like eat the dead or surrender

Oh, the stannis that put duty above all and the order given to him instead of taking the easy way out of the war for his own personal benefit

That stannis

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

oatgan posted:

No not that one, the one that was totally willing to let his entire garrison at storms end starve to death before they did anything rash like eat the dead or surrender

That was also in line with his duty, which was "hold Storm's End as long as possible". Eating their own dead is the path to madness and the next step is cannibalism of the living so stopping that is both just and practical. This is a case where duty (to the realm's safety) and justice (to his family) are at odds.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

A personal attack on me because of your starry eye version of Stannis Baratheon, the same Stannis Baratheon who personally magick'd his own flesh and blood brother to death, came crumpling down

My, my my my, you can say the tempers are flaring up in this thread

hurf durf

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
So did he burn Shireen to abate the snowstorm? Lame.

El Hefe posted:

How could you forget, uh, Alester Florent

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
e: nvm

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

oatgan posted:

IIFTT is the only good poster in this thread and with him gone I would like to elect Midnight City as the hardnosed leader we need to rally the base and get us through this trying time of bad shows and no books. Midnight City's first term will last forever.

My first official duty would be to make Irish Joe my steward

You can come after me all you want but...

Not seen: immediately after drawing his sword Stannis trips and impales himself

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

In It For The Tank posted:

Yep. In the books, Melisandre is going to sacrifice Shireen but the important thing is that she'll do it while Stannis is not there. The plot point is the problem, it's Stannis' involvement in it. It's another in a long line of show changes where they have chosen to emphasize certain aspects of Stannis' character to make him more villainous while dialing back on his sympathetic or admirable traits. In the books, he only burns Alester Florent (tried to sell Shireen to the Lannisters), "Mance", and the cannibals (men who murdered others during the March to Winterfell) and he held out on burning Edric until all three kings were dead (and even then, he told Melisandre she would die "by inches" if it failed). In the show, he burns everyone and was eager to burn Gendry after only one king's death. In the books, Stannis pardons Davos after he gives him the "cart before the horse" speech. In the show, Stannis was going to still going to kill Davos until Melisandre told him not to. Now he's sacrificing his heir, whereas in the books he told Justin Massey that he should crown Shireen if he dies. It's ridiculous.

While you're right that Stannis has been darker and more willing to burn and execute in the show, he still has the same core conflict of how much he's willing to do to become king. You might be setting yourself up a bit, being so sure Stannis won't be complicit with Shireen's burning in the books. True, it does look like Melisandre's going to burn her to revive Snow, but I'd be careful about speculating that far in advance especially in light of the show's example. Regardless, that'd still have the desired effect of Stannis feeling like his position as hero's been usurped despite all the awful things he's done and driving him crazy and I'd say the show would be stronger than the books for making Stannis do the most awful things himself rather than have them done behind his back.

Edit: that preview for the finale's pretty exciting, particularly the promise of the siege of Winterfell. I wonder if they're going to assault the castle in the last episode? I wouldn't think there'd be time, especially with other headline events like Jon's stabbing going on. Maybe he's laying siege and the actual battle will be at the start of the next season.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 7, 2015

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Yep. In the books, Melisandre is going to sacrifice Shireen but the important thing is that she'll do it while Stannis is not there. [...] It's ridiculous.
No, it would be ridiculous to take the decision out of Stannis' hands to make him cutesey, avoid having him make the hard choice and preserve his reputation while casting Mel as the villain.

If you want cute idealism in your character, be a Dany fan.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Book Stannis: If I die, put Shireen on the throne.
Show Stannis: Oops, forgot to protect my food, better kill my daughter.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Dolash posted:

While you're right that Stannis has been darker and more willing to burn and execute in the show, he still has the same core conflict of how much he's willing to do to become king. You might be setting yourself up a bit, being so sure Stannis won't be complicit with Shireen's burning in the books. True, it does look like Melisandre's going to burn her to revive Snow, but I'd be careful about speculating that far in advance especially in light of the show's example. Regardless, that'd still have the desired effect of Stannis feeling like his position as hero's been usurped despite all the awful things he's done and driving him crazy and I'd say the show would be stronger than the books for making Stannis do the most awful things himself rather than have them done behind his back.

except Mel shouldnt need to burn anyone to revive Jon

unless she's a shittier red priest than Thoros...

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Yep. In the books, Melisandre is going to sacrifice Shireen but the important thing is that she'll do it while Stannis is not there. The plot point is the problem, it's Stannis' involvement in it. It's another in a long line of show changes where they have chosen to emphasize certain aspects of Stannis' character to make him more villainous while dialing back on his sympathetic or admirable traits. In the books, he only burns Alester Florent (tried to sell Shireen to the Lannisters), "Mance", and the cannibals (men who murdered others during the March to Winterfell) and he held out on burning Edric until all three kings were dead (and even then, he told Melisandre she would die "by inches" if it failed). In the show, he burns everyone and was eager to burn Gendry after only one king's death. In the books, Stannis pardons Davos after he gives him the "cart before the horse" speech. In the show, Stannis was going to still going to kill Davos until Melisandre told him not to. Now he's sacrificing his heir, whereas in the books he told Justin Massey that he should crown Shireen if he dies. It's ridiculous.

It's weird because in the books Stannis doesn't really show any kind of love to his daughter. She's useful as an heir but there are no scenes where Stannis professes his love for her or defends her from Selyse. You might say we're limited by the POV structure but that isn't a good argument.

So D&D made him care about deeply about her...for this scene.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Midnight City posted:

My firs official duty would be to make Irish Joe my steward

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

El Hefe posted:

except Mel shouldnt need to burn anyone to revive Jon

unless she's a shittier red priest than Thoros...

Maybe sacrificing someone to revive a person means the revived person won't be a half-rotted zombie with black spots in their memory. And if Jon is TPWWP, then maybe it requires a bit more than praying to bring him back.

Ague Proof posted:

It's weird because in the books Stannis doesn't really show any kind of love to his daughter. She's useful as an heir but there are no scenes where Stannis professes his love for her or defends her from Selyse. You might say we're limited by the POV structure but that isn't a good argument.

So D&D made him care about deeply about her...for this scene.

This is the only problem I have with it right here. It's lazy. They humanized the hell out of Stannis in just this season, only to build up for this scene that doesn't even make sense in terms of his characterization in the books or the show.

On the other hand, the scene where Davos eventually confronts Stannis and Mel over Shireen's sacrifice is just going to be wonderful.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

meristem posted:

No, it would be ridiculous to take the decision out of Stannis' hands to make him cutesey, avoid having him make the hard choice and preserve his reputation while casting Mel as the villain.

If you want cute idealism in your character, be a Dany fan.

It's not about preserving his reputation. He risked keeping Shireen in Dragonstone while he fought to cure her rather than send her to Valyria, which could be called the "greater good". His stubbornness in the face of impossible odds is a cornerstone of his character. But now he flip flops on burning his daughter because things have taken the turn for the worse. I could understand being tempted by the conga line of misfortune but it seems far more logically consistent if Selyse, the one who has a specific distaste for Shireen, would be the one to cave to Melisandre and orchestrate Shireen's sacrifice behind Stannis' back.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

^^^^Why bother burning Shireen at all, narratively, if Stannis isn't the one to do it? It doesn't have the same impact on his character if when given the ultimate choice between the realm or his family, someone else picks the realm for him. There's a gulf of difference between choosing to risk his own life by keeping his daughter from Valyria and choosing to spare his daughter but having to give up on being king and Azor Ahai.

Going to bring up the parallel to Azor Ahai quenching his sword in his lover, Stannis has to make a commensurate sacrifice then find out his destiny's been stolen.

nooneofconsequence posted:

Book Stannis: If I die, put Shireen on the throne.
Show Stannis: Oops, forgot to protect my food, better kill my daughter.

If book Stannis wouldn't burn Shireen to save his campaign against Winterfell, he's a weaker character than the show version - both narratively and in terms of will. It's not inconsistent for Stannis to love Shireen and want her to sit the throne after him but still sacrifice her if the alternative is he loses the throne (or if they all die, I guess, but that's a much weaker choice).

Dolash fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 7, 2015

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Maybe sacrificing someone to revive a person means the revived person won't be a half-rotted zombie with black spots in their memory. And if Jon is TPWWP, then maybe it requires a bit more than praying to bring him back.

yeah or maybe you're just making poo poo up that has never been seen in either books or show

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

The timestamps on the screenshots are odd- if dany flies around 12 mins and shireen burns around 35 mins I wonder what happens at 50.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

El Hefe posted:

yeah or maybe you're just making poo poo up that has never been seen in either books or show

Maybe, but what is a Game of Thrones thread without baseless speculation to kill time between hatewatching episodes each week

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

a cop posted:

The timestamps on the screenshots are odd- if dany flies around 12 mins and shireen burns around 35 mins I wonder what happens at 50.

Ramsay walks across water to Essos where he meets Drogon and punches him in the face

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lerl

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Why walk when he could just use littlefinger's teleporter

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

a cop posted:

I was assuming the timer was how-many-minutes-remaining. Dany flying with 10 minutes left could make sense, if the credits are long as gently caress and maybe there's a quick segment of Cersei Vs Goliath Nun first.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

There's no explanation or realistic possible justification why this or any version of Stannis would ever consent to burning his daughter. He'd do a million other horrible and stupid things but he'd never do that and if the show actually is making that happen it's the stupidest thing they've done so far.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I was assuming the timer was how-many-minutes-remaining. Dany flying with 10 minutes left could make sense, if the credits are long as gently caress and maybe there's a quick segment of Cersei Vs Goliath Nun first.

Ok yeah that would make sense.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Dolash posted:

^^^^Why bother burning Shireen at all, narratively, if Stannis isn't the one to do it? It doesn't have the same impact on his character if when given the ultimate choice between the realm or his family, someone else picks the realm for him. There's a gulf of difference between choosing to risk his own life by keeping his daughter from Valyria and choosing to spare his daughter but having to give up on being king and Azor Ahai.

Going to bring up the parallel to Azor Ahai quenching his sword in his lover, Stannis has to make a commensurate sacrifice then find out his destiny's been stolen.

My understanding is that it will represent Melisandre's break from Stannis to Jon. Stannis is going to be cast aside by everyone and lose everything despite doing the right thing. The profound injustice of it all will be what breaks him and triggers his betrayal of humanity to the Others.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

They will burn Shirren and then bring her back to life, duh.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

So killing his own daughter doesn't even grant him victory, it just stops the storm. Nice.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

a cop posted:

Ok yeah that would make sense.

What doesn't make sense is that Tyrion is supposed to kill a few harpies. That means he at least rivals Barristan Selmy in fighting skills.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

RCarr posted:

They will burn Shirren and then bring her back to life, duh.

They're just going to bring everyone back to life by the end of this show, complete with a Star Wars-esque parade and fireworks while beheaded Ned Stark dances by the fire.

nooneofconsequence posted:

So killing his own daughter doesn't even grant him victory, it just stops the storm. Nice.

Jokes on him. If he had just checked the weather forecast he'd have seen the storm was going to clear anyways.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Load Shireen into one of these bad daddies and they can abate all the storms they want.

This was heavily hinted at in book 1 when they reference Stannis liking a place called "Storm's End", btw.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

InFlames235 posted:

They're just going to bring everyone back to life by the end of this show, complete with a Star Wars-esque parade and fireworks while beheaded Ned Stark dances by the fire.

Every great story should end with Yub Nub. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

InFlames235 posted:

Jokes on him. If he had just checked the weather forecast he'd have seen the storm was going to clear anyways.

Will the George Bush head be by his side?

• Locked thread