Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Robhol posted:

I just did a covert op in Long War where the operative was an assault when he left, but when the mission was over he got promoted and became a sniper. That's... not normal, right?

long war devs are getting intriguingly creative in their attempts to gently caress the player over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Wales Grey posted:

Do not blaspheme against XCOM: Apocalypse, cur.

I'm not. Nothing about the end of terror from the deep's ending suggests apocalypse tho. It's just like zoom out from cthulhu's coffin as it explodes I guess and immediate zoom into california city manhole cover with bright green light shining out of it as an alien hand pops out of the sewer cut immediately back to main menu.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

SkySteak posted:

I was just wondering, see people talking about 'Pods' and 'Pod Locations'. What does this refer to? Do aliens all stick next to them before revealed?

Aliens are spawned into the map in groups made up of a pre-determined range of possible types and numbers, like "Mechtoid, Sectoid Commander and Sectoid" or "Ethereal and 2 Muton Elites". When you find an alien, you've found a 'pod' of aliens, meaning that his friends are always going to be close by and will activate immediately. Pod locations refer to possible starting points for aliens to begin on the map, but they will start patrolling immediately.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm not. Nothing about the end of terror from the deep's ending suggests apocalypse tho. It's just like zoom out from cthulhu's coffin as it explodes I guess and immediate zoom into california city manhole cover with bright green light shining out of it as an alien hand pops out of the sewer cut immediately back to main menu.

Ah, I always took that to be representative of the rest of the aliens dying as a result of Queenthulu/the central MC terminal going pop.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Rexxed posted:

It's been like 15 years since I played chaos gate on my sweet '98 450mhz gaming pc, but one thing that's cool and memorable is the soundtrack. They did space marine songs in latin and had them on the CD. It seems I'm not the only one who liked it and it's all up on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx61xeDV_60
Whole playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhll0TDIIdk&list=PLYStYjr1J77IAW6o1A76y7GqsTbwZ7Kjf

A friend and I tried to LAN the multiplayer and it bugged out horribly but for single player it was a great game. The other bug that I still remember was trying to throw a grenade would throw your melee weapon sometimes? I remember hunting around on tiles on the floor to find a knife I threw by accident (the game doesn't actually support throwing knives iirc). I think in my entire playthrough it only happened once or twice, though.

the guy who created that music was really sad because people kept asking for high quality versions of it but he had deleted all of his original stuff. It was nice to find other people who went through the effort ripping the stuff out.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

If anyone is interested, I'm trying to install Chaos Gate using WinXP Mode. If I can get it running, I might try throwing together an LP of it.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Waiting for money to hit my PayPal account so I can get that sweet $9.99 bundle like :geno:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I like TFTD better than UFO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I have to wonder about Exalt's role, if any, in X-COM 2. Firaxis has alluded to the new Advent world government being Exalt, and the Exalt base raid in EW implies that they're an ancient, Illuminati-style organization going back centuries. Is Firaxis going ancient astronauts on us? That could make for an amazing series of missions in X-COM 2, X-COM heading into ancient Egyptian temples, lost cities in the jungles and mountains, maybe even sunken ruins looking for the truth about Exalt/Advent and their origin.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
Oh, and people that are just starting or are thinking about playing Long War, expect stuff like this on a normal difficulty game:
Click for big.

:yikes:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Chaos Gate would be cool but I want a W7+ compatible version of Soldiers at War.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Pohl posted:

Oh, and people that are just starting or are thinking about playing Long War, expect stuff like this on a normal difficulty game:
Click for big.

Before this scares someone off with the idea of "oh, this is just for I/I tryhards," I should note that LW gives you the tools necessary to win this kind of engagement with smart plays. I've had no shortage of "god drat, there's zero way out of this" situations that ended up turning in my favor.

The aliens are bigger and better and more numerous than ever, but you have an expanded repertoire of strategies for taking them on besides shoot from behind cover.

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!

Pohl posted:

Click for big.

That is goddamned terrifying.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Vagon posted:

That is goddamned terrifying.

The funny thing is that an EW ITZ sniper would still laugh at it, especially with MEC support. But in long war, that's basically a pain train with no brakes.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
This is why Long War lets you carry so many extra rockets.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So how many aliens can fit inside each UFO?

I just got a landed Scout and there were 21 loving enemies on the map, like a goddamn clown-car of aliens, it was pretty nasty because there were a slew of Drones, Seekers, Floaters and Mutons all on a tiny map so I almost activated all of the pods at once! (I'm in May and I don't have any lasers.)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pohl posted:

Click for big.

They're coming outta the goddamn everything!

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Koorisch posted:

So how many aliens can fit inside each UFO?

I just got a landed Scout and there were 21 loving enemies on the map, like a goddamn clown-car of aliens, it was pretty nasty because there were a slew of Drones, Seekers, Floaters and Mutons all on a tiny map so I almost activated all of the pods at once! (I'm in May and I don't have any lasers.)

Beagle ran a landed supply ship the other day with 47 in it. Not sure if you're running LW.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Boogalo posted:

Beagle ran a landed supply ship the other day with 47 in it. Not sure if you're running LW.

Yes I am playing B15 LW, I didn't think that there would be so many in a small scout though!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
LW is bad :can:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Pohl posted:

Click for big.

Wow, only two of them have a over 10 health. Normal being pretty friendly all told.

LW is good but should pretty much always be .ini tweaked to taste.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

Wow, only two of them have a over 10 health. Normal being pretty friendly all told.

LW is good but should pretty much always be .ini tweaked to taste.

The last Terror mission i finished I faced over thirty zombies and nine chryssalids and it took FOREVER to finish the turns because of all the zombies activating in the same area making it take about two-three minutes per turn just for them to move.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Koorisch posted:

The last Terror mission i finished I faced over thirty zombies and nine chryssalids and it took FOREVER to finish the turns because of all the zombies activating in the same area making it take about two-three minutes per turn just for them to move.
Maybe your computer should quit being such a loving scrub and git gud? :smug:

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
The most satisfying about trying a stealth squad in current LW is setting up a triangle of snipers around a UFO, toss in a battle scanner inside it then prec-shot an outsider before he activates. It's just so fun to hear combat music starting for a second then Bradford immediately following it up telling you mission's over. :allears: Goddamn it, UFO maps become hunting grounds for your squad if you have more than one sniper. Like holy poo poo this is fun.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Pohl posted:

Click for big.

This isn't remotely that bad. Toss two shrapnel grenades and mop up the stragglers. They're so clumped up it'd be trivial with rookies and ballistics.

Long War really isn't that bad on normal with Cinematic mode and Dynamic War. Especially if you .ini tweak it to taste.

E: okay three shrapnel grenades or a single rocket.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Is Long War supposed to be balls hard right from the get-go? I'm playing on Normal and regular missions with Sectoids usually end with 2-3 causalities. Nevermind a loving bomb mission where the Thin Men will just wreck my poo poo so hard. I remember doing Classic difficulty in the no-expansion unmodded version, are there just some gameplay changes I'm not aware of?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

That Gobbo posted:

Is Long War supposed to be balls hard right from the get-go?

have you read literally anything at all about long war

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Koorisch posted:

Yes I am playing B15 LW, I didn't think that there would be so many in a small scout though!

I don't remember running into absurd numbers like that on small scouts in b14. Not in may.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

That Gobbo posted:

Is Long War supposed to be balls hard right from the get-go? I'm playing on Normal and regular missions with Sectoids usually end with 2-3 causalities. Nevermind a loving bomb mission where the Thin Men will just wreck my poo poo so hard. I remember doing Classic difficulty in the no-expansion unmodded version, are there just some gameplay changes I'm not aware of?

How are you outfitting your squads? Early in the game, I prioritize getting six health minimum on squad members through Tac Armor and Ceramic Plates so that they can withstand non-critting shots without risk of dying in one hit. Next priority is at least two flashbangs and two HE grenades, which are get-out-of-jail free cards compared to vanilla.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

oswald ownenstein posted:

I don't remember running into absurd numbers like that on small scouts in b14. Not in may.

Thats not a small scout. Scouts are the circular single room ufo's. I'm not so EW savvy I could pinpoint the exact ufo type there but its definitly bigger than medium.

Actually can scouts even HAVE Cryssalids ? I don't think i've ever seen any.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tzarnal posted:

Thats not a small scout. Scouts are the circular single room ufo's. I'm not so EW savvy I could pinpoint the exact ufo type there but its definitly bigger than medium.

The UFOs, non-Long War at least, are scout (single room), medium (bigger but still circular), abductor (two cargo bays aft with a ramp in between, a surgery bay, and the cockpit), supply barge (very long with a big three-part cargo hold in the middle), and battleship (the skyranger lands on the UFO itself).

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Cythereal posted:

I have to wonder about Exalt's role, if any, in X-COM 2. Firaxis has alluded to the new Advent world government being Exalt, and the Exalt base raid in EW implies that they're an ancient, Illuminati-style organization going back centuries. Is Firaxis going ancient astronauts on us? That could make for an amazing series of missions in X-COM 2, X-COM heading into ancient Egyptian temples, lost cities in the jungles and mountains, maybe even sunken ruins looking for the truth about Exalt/Advent and their origin.

I think Firaxis specifically said ADVENT and EXALT really have nothing to do with each other beyond being antagonists. Which is a shame, it really felt like if XCOM lost then EXALT would have been in perfect position to cut a deal, while EXALT didn't exactly like the aliens they had no issue working with them to achieve their dream of global control.

Tzarnal posted:

looks like the outside of a cargo barge or abductor to me.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

MrBims posted:

How are you outfitting your squads? Early in the game, I prioritize getting six health minimum on squad members through Tac Armor and Ceramic Plates so that they can withstand non-critting shots without risk of dying in one hit. Next priority is at least two flashbangs and two HE grenades, which are get-out-of-jail free cards compared to vanilla.

For rookies I have been running Tac Armor, Ceramic Plates, AP grenades, and at least one Medkit for the squad. I'll try out flashbangs and HE grenades, I think I may need to shake off the rust a bit since I haven't played XCOM in awhile.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alkydere posted:

I think Firaxis specifically said ADVENT and EXALT really have nothing to do with each other beyond being antagonists. Which is a shame, it really felt like if XCOM lost then EXALT would have been in perfect position to cut a deal, while EXALT didn't exactly like the aliens they had no issue working with them to achieve their dream of global control.

That's disappointing, and makes EXALT feel even more pointless. X-COM bumps into an ancient Illuminati-type global conspiracy aiming for world domination and works with aliens except when they don't and have advanced gene mods but no other alien-derived technology, relics hinting at a centuries-if-not-millennia-long history, their leadership bugs out before X-COM raids their HQ, and then nothing is apparently done with them?

EXALT feels like someone's tabletop campaign fanfic they inserted into the game, and I'm disappointed further still in what's been seen of 2's story and setting if they're declining to salvage this potentially interesting story idea.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Not kidding when I say flashbangs are your get-out-of-jail free cards, they cripple enemy accuracy and movement, letting you survive poor positioning and winning the fight when you can then outmaneuver the alien with flanking shots. They also take enemies out of overwatching or suppressing.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Flashbangs are a chrysalid's worst enemy, especially when paired with a CCS soldier with a full shotgun.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Alkydere posted:

To be precise, they said that they had no "direct connection" for whatever that's worth. Maybe they have SOME connection or maybe I'm just hoping for too much.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

MrBims posted:

Not kidding when I say flashbangs are your get-out-of-jail free cards, they cripple enemy accuracy and movement, letting you survive poor positioning and winning the fight when you can then outmaneuver the alien with flanking shots. They also take enemies out of overwatching or suppressing.

Yeah, in that pic the only reason my assault lived was because my scout was able to land that flashbang on the closest lids. A lucky shredder rocket, 2 grenades and a lot of laser fire brought them down. In the end, CCS took out the last one. I just wanted people to have an idea of what to expect, because when my Assault looked around that corner and they started moving towards me from 2 different directions and they kept coming and coming my jaw loving dropped. I was just lucky as hell that the closest person to my Assault was carrying a flashbang.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

As a new player should I beat classic vanilla first, then move onto Long War?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Right, well gonna bite the bullet and try out Long War. I've been hearing a lot of "edit the .ini files" to cut out some of the BS but, well, the .inis are huge. What are good files/variables to edit?

• Locked thread