Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I think it's a remnant of the Bush years , when the kinds of Americans who know other countries exist (and that the entire world outside of the US is not some oppressive, freedom-less hellhole) were deeply embarrassed by the president and the overall national sentiment of "if you're not with us 100% you're a terrorist who hates freedom".

A lot of these people seem to be relatively intelligent, but not particularly worldly, and so see the world as it's filtered through American news sources that focus predominately (surprise, surprise) on American news which is rife with all sorts of embarrassing American things. This adds a lot to their edgy pessimism, and they seem genuinely shocked when they discover that the rest of the world is also filled with gossip and absurdity and nationalist shitheads and cultural equivalents of rednecks on rascal scooters. It's just that a lot of the news articles that reveal these universal truths don't typically make it past the country of origin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
Clicking on a website that you've never heard of, let alone visited,

"WOULD YOU LIKE TO TAKE OUR SURVEY ON HOW GOOD THIS WEBSITE IS?"

Are they not familiar with cookies or tracking users who actually seem to be using the site?

Also, "take NO MORE than 3-5 teaspoons then wait AT LEAST 2-4 hours and..."

So is 3 "more than" 3-5? Dumbasses?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Recipe blogs that have a whole backstory to each recipe that no one gives a poo poo about. I was looking up a cookie recipe once and this lady had paragraphs and paragraphs about how she'd make them with her grandkids and blah blah blah before actually posting the recipe. I don't want to read about your stupid grandkids I just want to make some cookies goddamnit.

Problem! has a new favorite as of 18:46 on Jun 7, 2015

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Phyzzle posted:

Clicking on a website that you've never heard of, let alone visited,

"WOULD YOU LIKE TO TAKE OUR SURVEY ON HOW GOOD THIS WEBSITE IS?"

Are they not familiar with cookies or tracking users who actually seem to be using the site?

I got one of these the other day and it wouldn't even let you click "no thanks" or close it in any other way, you just have to reload the website and hope you don't get it again.

edit: ^ I hate recipe blogs that do that. They're usually the kind of blogs that use tiny, unreadable fonts too :argh:

HOLY FUCK has a new favorite as of 19:29 on Jun 7, 2015

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Recipe blogs that have a whole backstory to each recipe that no one gives a poo poo about. I was looking up a cookie recipe once and this lady had paragraphs and paragraphs about how she'd make them with her grandkids and blah blah blah before actually posting the recipe. I don't want to read about your stupid grandkids I just want to make some cookies goddamnit.

YES. And it's even worse when they put the recipe is cutesy, unreadable fonts over gaussian blurred photos so you can' even ctrl+f for 'recipes' and skip that crap.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
While we're on the topic of recipes, I hate it when they use unquantifiable things. Like, "a bit of (x)" or "a lil (y)". A lot of cooking is subjective but if you're posting a recipe, post exact quantities to reproduce what you made.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

There's a handful of recipe blogs I check out regularly and every post for every one of them does that. I have to scroll for three loving years before I even get to the ingredient list.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
My wife does this as well as coworkers, and I think its just part of human nature:

When people defend bad things because they like the environment or who the thing/idea originated from. Folks will look at something and complain about it, but put that SAME scenario within the confines of family or a supervisor and suddenly that "terrible idea" is now something we have to work together on. Its so two faced and inconsistent and I hate it.

For my wife its the dang cat. The cat ate her new roses and threw up all over the place and made this huge mess. "Dawww its OK", but if the same thing happens like I knock over the roses, or she makes a huge mess with something its grounds to be upset and start cleaning it up.

At work the same people will complain about how many hours they have to work, but oh ho ho ho its time to work overtime and the supervisor says we should and its "alright team lets get it together and do some OT yay!".

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I've heard this so many times from science and math teachers so I should be used to it by now but good god do I hate it when they go "Well, I think this scientist had autism even though there's no proof so therefore autism isn't a disability, it's a ~gift.~" Sad thing is, when you try to tell them that they don't know what they're talking about, the other students just say something like "What are you getting upset about? She wasn't trying to be rude." I know people who say things like that aren't trying to be rude but calling a disability a gift is just ignorant and patronizing. Besides, savants are just a tiny, tiny minority. Anyone who thinks that all autistic people are like that has probably been watching too many Hallmark movies. I blame Rain Man (the guy this movie was based on wasn't even autistic, he had something called FG syndrome) for starting it all though.

Edit: Only movie I can think of that does a really good job at portraying autism is Mary And Max. Go watch that if you haven't already, it's amazing.

People who take ridiculously long showers. If you live on your own, fine but when you share hot water with other people, 45 minutes is a little excessive. On the other hand, it's kinda fun to turn off the hot water when you need to get them out.

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 00:17 on Jun 8, 2015

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Anytime "Can You Blame Me" or "Get It" by Matt and Kim comes on the radio, I am filled with white-hot rage. I hadn't heard of them until a few months ago, but holy poo poo, what an annoying voice. And "Get It" sounds like some sort of school project Gene Belcher would make on Bob's Burgers, but played as a legit pop song.

I think they are cool

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

:argh:

Back when I was a kid, my grandma used to make this gumbo for us and...

(insert 5,000 more words here)

...so I hope you enjoy it!

Grandma's Super Gumbo

Ingredients:
    water
    Daddy Joe brand gumbo seasoning
    okra
    meat

Directions:
    Mix together in large pot and heat on low for a while, stirring until delicious!

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Decorating blogs and websites that only seem to have tips for people who either own the property or love not getting security deposits back. Yeah I'd love to paint a giant goddamned mural on my bedroom wall or to put up five million shelves over all available wall space so all of my storage problems would be solved forever but moving is expensive enough without paying for non-accidental damages too ugh.

Might as well get rid of half the stuff I have instead :sigh:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

A lot of these people seem to be relatively intelligent, but not particularly worldly, and so see the world as it's filtered through American news sources that focus predominately (surprise, surprise) on American news which is rife with all sorts of embarrassing American things. This adds a lot to their edgy pessimism, and they seem genuinely shocked when they discover that the rest of the world is also filled with gossip and absurdity and nationalist shitheads and cultural equivalents of rednecks on rascal scooters. It's just that a lot of the news articles that reveal these universal truths don't typically make it past the country of origin.

It's actually kind of a relief when you realize how much bullshit there is in the news because you also find out that the world is not, after all, 100% terrible.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

walrusman posted:

You're right, it's not something that child has to write on every homework assignment, credit card receipt, or legal document for the next 80 years or anything.

I kinda agree with this sentiment. For some reason my mother named me Kara which should be pronounced sorta like Car-rah. Instead, my mom wanted to be super duper unique and forced everyone to pronounce it like Care-Ah...which is spelt like Cara. I've had so many people gently caress it up that I switched over to just pronouncing it the proper way since it's way easier than correcting people. It really sucks because it sounds so completely unnatural to me.

Don't be a dick and name your kids something lovely. Or if you do at least give them a name they can shorten to something common so they won't have to deal with this.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
There seems to be this new fad (:corsair:) of female singers singing in a ridiculously high key that I'm sure is auto tuned. It sounds like Alvin and the Chipmunks. I just tried to look it up based in popular songs on the hit station here but I just got ads for my car :tinfoil: I recently was looking up repairs for my [not popular brand] car and that's really creepy.

So to summarize

1) new, popular women singers "singing" so high it sounds like Alvin and the Chipmunks
2) poo poo tracking my history and giving me ads for it, despite clearing my history/settings

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 23:04 on Jun 9, 2015

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

For some reason my mother named me Kara which should be pronounced sorta like Car-rah. Instead, my mom wanted to be super duper unique and forced everyone to pronounce it like Care-Ah...which is spelt like Cara.

Are you saying that you think people would pronounce your name properly if it were spelled with a C instead of a K? "Cara" and "Kara" both look like they should be pronounced the same way to me. Or rather, I'd probably guess "car-ruh" first but wouldn't be surprised by "care-uh" or "cah-ruh" either way.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

I kinda agree with this sentiment. For some reason my mother named me Kara which should be pronounced sorta like Car-rah. Instead, my mom wanted to be super duper unique and forced everyone to pronounce it like Care-Ah...which is spelt like Cara. I've had so many people gently caress it up that I switched over to just pronouncing it the proper way since it's way easier than correcting people. It really sucks because it sounds so completely unnatural to me.

Don't be a dick and name your kids something lovely. Or if you do at least give them a name they can shorten to something common so they won't have to deal with this.

:smith::hf::smith. My name's Aleta, pronounced A-LEE-Tah. People always want to call me A-LET-a, then I have to correct them, then they ask me where the name's from, then what it means, then where I'M from... sometimes I just want to get to whatever the reason was that they're reading my name in the first place.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Are you saying that you think people would pronounce your name properly if it were spelled with a C instead of a K? "Cara" and "Kara" both look like they should be pronounced the same way to me. Or rather, I'd probably guess "car-ruh" first but wouldn't be surprised by "care-uh" or "cah-ruh" either way.

Yeup. It's spelt like Kara but pronounced Cara. They both have different pronunciations:

Kara: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmV6h7j6GR8
Cara: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XdZmy-5SXk

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Thin Privilege posted:

There seems to be this new fad (:corsair:) of female singers singing in a ridiculously high key that I'm sure is auto tuned. It sounds like Alvin and the Chipmunks. I just tried to look it up based in popular songs on the hit station here but I just got ads for my car :tinfoil: I recently was looking up repairs for my [not popular brand] car and that's really creepy.

If you're listening to songs where female singers sing in obnoxiously high keys, you might be a weeaboo.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Posted in the passive-aggressive thread but bears repeating here...

There's a small frontage road that runs in front of my work - 2 lanes wide, plenty of room for cars to comfortably fit and pass going in opposite directions. Every loving day, some jackass either in an expensive luxury car, SUV, or some lovely beater car rides right down the center of the road. I've witnessed several times where someone needs to get into our lot and can't because some fucktard can't be bothered to move their stupid rear end over, and I've had people glare and almost hit me when I'm literally inches from the curb on my side.

gently caress EVERY ONE OF THESE PEOPLE. If you drive like this, I hate you, and one day I will stop, pull you from your stupid tardmobile, and beat the everloving poo poo out of you for being a stupid, inconsiderate, selfish loving prick. Same goes for assholes that ride the line or "float" into someone else's lane with no signal, or without even realizing it because they're on the phone or chatting with a passenger. PAY loving ATTENTION. If an accident doesn't maim or kill you, I swear one of these days i'll be the one that does it for you. Jesus gently caress, people.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Related: People who swerve in and out of random lanes on the highway with no turn signal to get ahead, because whoever is in the lane in front of them at the time is going 1 mph slower than they want. These people must save a few seconds at best by doing this, while also making it incredibly unsafe for everyone else.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
People who throw cigarettes out of their cars. One hit my car this morning. I have an idea that many of these people would balk at throwing a flaming wad of fast food wrappers out of the car window while driving (though some wouldn't), but if the fiery garbage is related to their addiction, it's totally okay, right?

And those who say "I don't want that poo poo in my car." But you want it in your lungs?

And those who get grossed out at people who dip. Yes, it's gross. But your lungs look like his teeth, and you have the bonus of polluting the air, harming others, and littering the ground while you're at it, so don't pretend you're on some moral high ground here.

Basically, smokers.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Oh god my mom is a cig thrower. I hate it so much. I hate the fact that she smokes in general, but the way she just throws her butts anywhere she drat well pleases just sets me off.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
There is literally no benefit to smoking outside of a few minutes of socialization. Otherwise it's garbage, harmful, and smells terrible. Throwing it on the floor or out the window of the car is just a gently caress you to society.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

My parents smoke indoors. Growing up in that house was painful.

Pet peeve: the college students in this apt block who leave their dogs home alone 8-10 hours a day, turning their pets into neurotic little beasties, and refusing to scoop their poop. (There's also a loud party going on downstairs. It's a weeknight, FFS. I guess I'm old.)

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Related: People who swerve in and out of random lanes on the highway with no turn signal to get ahead, because whoever is in the lane in front of them at the time is going 1 mph slower than they want. These people must save a few seconds at best by doing this, while also making it incredibly unsafe for everyone else.

My Dad drove like that. He was an old fighter pilot. If he could have made the car do barrel roll, he would have.

Also car related: Assholes who park in the Handicapped spot without a sticker, plate or placard. Today a carful of people parked there while one kid skipped into the store. They blasted bad rap from their car for almost an hour. Cops never did show up, even for the huge fine they'd collect.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Irish Joe posted:

If you're listening to songs where female singers sing in obnoxiously high keys, you might be a weeaboo.

Unfortunately no, this is the top 30 or whatever pop station. I would look it up but I just have the melody in my head and the lyrics are generic "want to dance/ I want you".

Asian covers of western songs where it's a high-pitched woman squeaking something really bizarre like "Brown Sugar" by Rolling Stones. No words other than :wtc: Why do they always play these at the Asian supermarkets around here???

Cover songs in general. 99% of the time they are utter poo poo. Why would you cover a song that's good as it is, and then butcher it? You think you sound good and/or are giving an homage to the original song but you're not. STOP.

Though I just remembered this. I give these guys a pass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj7pDNDuoJ0

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Jastiger posted:

There is literally no benefit to smoking outside of a few minutes of socialization. Otherwise it's garbage, harmful, and smells terrible.

Well, it's also enjoyable.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Thin Privilege posted:

Cover songs in general. 99% of the time they are utter poo poo. Why would you cover a song that's good as it is, and then butcher it? You think you sound good and/or are giving an homage to the original song but you're not. STOP.
Covers of songs don't bother me on their own. Tainted Love by Soft Cell is awesome and ATC's Around The World is better than the Russian original. When I really have a problem with covers, it's because they missed the point of what worked about the original song. For example, Your Woman by White Town has got the static-y, slightly distorted vocals, the 1930's Imperial March-ish horn riff sample, the venomous lyric delivery. It's a clever, trippy song (it sounds like something Gorillaz would make even though it came out before that band was even a thing) and a nice one to listen to right before bed. I looked up some covers and almost every single one of them turned it into slow, generic acoustic guitar crap.

This is a very specific pet peeve but it's annoying when people think that Don't You Want Me by The Human League is a love song or just a regular breakup tune. It's clearly about a woman running away from her svengali-type partner. The weird thing about 80's music is that a lot of it is very stalkerish. Heck, the Rock Me Amadeus guy had a hit over in Europe that was about a serial killer kidnapping, raping and murdering a girl named Jeanny.

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 08:25 on Jun 11, 2015

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
"These two snakes are probably gravid. The female mice are all probably pregnant."

"DO YOU GUARANTEE IT?"

No, fucker, that is why the word PROBABLY is in the ad!

I was selling feeder mice and a few snakes recently, and in both ads I put in that the females are probably gravid or pregnant; my female mice are kept with males all the time and females go back into estrus after labor. The two female snakes were conditioned and put in with males for a month. But there's no loving 100% on either. So I used 'probably' in both ads, and after selling the snakes, I got a pissed buyer screaming that I ripped him off because neither girls are gravid. I repeated that they probably were, he even SAID they looked it when he inspected them, and in no way did I hide the fact that gasp, sometimes breedings don't make fertile eggs. I wonder if I would have gotten a call later had both been gravid but no eggs hatched. The mice, same story: some asshat demanded I guarantee that every female I sold him was pregnant. I told him they probably were but you want a loving ultrasound on them? PROBABLY. PROBABLY PREGNANT.

I imagine these people are super awesome in retail interactions. "DO YOU GUARANTEE I WILL HAVE A NICE DAY?"

Work related but people who gently caress up addresses and get pissed when I don't take a guess. Sorry fucker, 17027 is NOT the same as 10707. I will not drop off a package at the latter when you mean the former. And I won't guess that just because the business names are the same that is where it loving goes! The second I start saying "well I thought this was where it went" is the second I get fired or written up. No. Check your addresses people!

"You should have" poo poo. A guy I know hit up an aquarium trade post to ask if anyone had a spare pond filter he could buy, his had just died. The first reply was "you should have kept a backup on hand, I always keep a backup of everything on hand, you should too.' Wow, thanks for helping? "My car just died, anyone know a good mechanic that comes to your house?" "You should always have a good mechanic/plumber/lawyer on call, I do, you should too!"

Cowslips Warren has a new favorite as of 11:08 on Jun 11, 2015

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Book reviews on sites like Amazon or Goodreads that start with a plot summary. The plot summary is already there in the book description, you don't need to rewrite it, just get to the point!

Tiggum has a new favorite as of 16:05 on Jun 11, 2015

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

How-to videos on Youtube with lovely camera work and lots of "um" and "uh" and "okay guys" and "now I'm gonna do X oh wait I need to do Y first!" If you actually care about making something useful, at least buy a $3 tripod and write up a half page outline of the steps you want to take. If you screw up the order or stumble over your words, cut it and do it again. It might take an hour instead of a few minutes, but that's nothing compared to the hundreds of wasted hours of the people who watched the video and had to sit through all the ums and uhs just to get to the good part.

How-to videos on Youtube that are just a slideshow of lovely still pictures set to lovely music. gently caress off.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

walrusman posted:

How-to videos on Youtube with lovely camera work and lots of "um" and "uh" and "okay guys" and "now I'm gonna do X oh wait I need to do Y first!" If you actually care about making something useful, at least buy a $3 tripod and write up a half page outline of the steps you want to take. If you screw up the order or stumble over your words, cut it and do it again. It might take an hour instead of a few minutes, but that's nothing compared to the hundreds of wasted hours of the people who watched the video and had to sit through all the ums and uhs just to get to the good part.

How-to videos on Youtube that are just a slideshow of lovely still pictures set to lovely music. gently caress off.

Car repair videos are the worst for this.

*30 sec intro blaring AC/DC at 120% volume featuring default Windows Movie Maker title cards*

hey guys i'm gonna, um, today... um

*portrait-mode cell phone video shakes, loud bursts of noise as the phone brushes up against poo poo*

like okay...today, um, i'm gonna show...ya'll how to, um... like when, okay, i know lots of people have this problem, so... um, i'm gonna

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
In video games where they, for whatever reason, don't cut out a few seconds of silence in between two characters speaking abruptly, so it sounds super stilted and awkward.

I mean something in real life like,

Guy1 : "hey Mike I--"
Guy2 (interrupts): "gently caress you!!!"

In normal speech the "gently caress you" would come milliseconds after the "I". But in video games it's more like,

Guy1:"Hey Mike, I---"
[huge long pause]
Guy2: "gently caress you!!!"

Come on, you can just cut the few seconds off the beginning guy 2's audio clip, move it over, or start it earlier, whatever. Why do you always do this, you have such good voice acting but you ruin it with this poo poo.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug
I hate when people call me in regards to something I emailed or texted them about. Why are you doing this to me? If I wanted to talk to you on the phone, I would have just called you myself!

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious

Solid Cake posted:

I hate when people call me in regards to something I emailed or texted them about. Why are you doing this to me? If I wanted to talk to you on the phone, I would have just called you myself!

Because we can tell immediately that it's going to generate a text/email chain of 20+ messages spanning at least 40 minutes where the initial question still doesn't quite get answered. Or we can make a 2 minute phone call.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Solid Cake posted:

I do this if I get a text when I'm driving. I'd rather just call you instead of trying to text and getting pulled over.

My most recent peeve is delivery companies refusing to leave a package unattended. DHL is the most stubborn about it. No matter how many times I fill out their little form online asking them to just leave it in front of the door they won't do it - even if it'll fit in my mailbox, they "can't". They always come at around noon-1pm, only on weekdays, so I have to practically take the whole day off to accept the package. At least the regular post office will leave a note saying to come to the post office to pick it up. Please DHL, just do it, I promise I won't come after you for a refund if it gets stolen.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Murphy Brownback posted:

I do this if I get a text when I'm driving. I'd rather just call you instead of trying to text and getting pulled over.

My most recent peeve is delivery companies refusing to leave a package unattended. DHL is the most stubborn about it. No matter how many times I fill out their little form online asking them to just leave it in front of the door they won't do it - even if it'll fit in my mailbox, they "can't". They always come at around noon-1pm, only on weekdays, so I have to practically take the whole day off to accept the package. At least the regular post office will leave a note saying to come to the post office to pick it up. Please DHL, just do it, I promise I won't come after you for a refund if it gets stolen.

I work for a delivery courier company. A lot of the times the sender puts on Signature Needed and we can't overrride that. What sucks is that our delivery window is pretty much 9am to 5pm, when most people are at work. Now, I work early morning, so sometimes lucky people see me pull in at 6 or 7am with their package, which surprises them, but I want the drat things out of my van as soon as possible.

Not sure about the mailbox, I know in here at least we don't get mailbox keys, so there is no way to cram it in there.

There is, at least in the US, an option to leave the package at a store for pickup; I've had several boxes shipped in to me and I have them held at a Fedex store near my house so I can pick it up after work.

Peeve related to the above: bad addresses or incomplete ones! If you are sending a box somewhere to a residence, ask if they live where a gate code is needed. To a business, put the loving business name and suite number on the label! Trying to find Jane Speedway at a random address means poo poo all when that address is a 20 story business building. isn't happening. Also, no, I will NOT call someone to ask for the gate code, half the time they think they are giving it to a thief so they refuse.

I also don't call people because I'd have to use my cell phone, I don't have an unblocked company phone, and I don't want my cell phone number floating around. I used to, until I had several people call me at all hours wanting deliveries expedited. Trying to explain I was off the clock and this was my cell number resulted in screams about me having poor customer service skills.

I've done a few deliveries where the customer expects me to unload the boxes in a certain way. As in, all the boxes marked Labelled Books go in the living room, all the boxes marked Kitchen go in the hallway, all the boxes marked Here Be Dragons go in the garage. No, sorry. I drop the boxes off in ONE area and you move the rest. I am not a moving company, I'm a courier. The only time I make an exception to this is when the customer is old (I've done a few deliveries to nursing homes and I loving insist on putting the 50 pound boxes somewhere out of the way, since half the time the staff would have to move them after I leave) or clearly needs help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photinus
Apr 27, 2008
I just nipped out to the shops, an easy five-minute walk. On the way back I was nearly run over by two idiots who decided it wasn't very important to drive safely or signal where they were going, even when driving like they were could have reduced one (or both) of us to a bloody smear and a pile of twisted metal. Both had dopey, cowlike just-got-my-lobotomy grins; both had kids in the car.

Christ's sake, it's not like I'm invisible, like speed limits aren't clearly posted or like indicators require the strength of Hercules to operate. What is wrong with people?