Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

GlyphGryph posted:

... antibiotics explicitly aren't covered by scheduling laws though? He didn't say end all regulation, just abolish the scheduling system. Which certainly has some arguments against it, but this isn't one of them.

Oh duh, I guess I misremembered how that regulation works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Scheduling is specifically for banning/limiting drugs with the potential to be used/abused recreationally in ways the government doesn't like.

Public health regulations around medicine mostly fall under other laws.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 7, 2015

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

GlyphGryph posted:

Scheduling is specifically for banning/limiting drugs with the potential to be used/abused recreationally in ways the government doesn't like.

Public health regulations around medicine mostly fall under other laws.

In addition to potential for abuse it limits them based on medicinal usefulness, which pretty much unavoidably results in dog-wagging, as do most laws that assert reality. "No you can't have funding to research this drug because it's schedule one and thus by definition has no legitimate medicinal use."

Basically the categories themselves are hosed to the point where even if you think some drugs should remain totally banned you could argue we need to torch the whole system and start over.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 7, 2015

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

In addition to potential for abuse it limits them based on medicinal usefulness, which pretty much unavoidably results in dog-wagging, as do most laws that assert reality. "No you can't have funding to research this drug because it's schedule one and thus by definition has no legitimate medicinal use."

Basically the categories themselves are hosed to the point where even if you think some drugs should remain totally banned you could argue we need to torch the whole system and start over.
The medical usefulness bit isn't really relevant to the existence or purpose of scheduling though, it just determines whether or not certain drugs get certain exemptions. And yeah, even that is pretty hosed up right now.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I frankly don't agree with this - it's being wildly misused re especially the less harmful recreational drugs, but People Are Dumb. The most obvious case where turning everything into over-the-counter would be extremely questionable is antibiotics, because that's one of the cases that goes from "protecting your health from yourself" to "protecting the public health".

People are dumb, but the schedulng system introduces criminal sanctions for people who make poor choices with respect to their own substance use. That is wrong.

Beaters
Jun 28, 2004

SOWING SEEDS
OF MISERY SINCE 1937
FRYING LIKE A FRITO
IN THE SKILLET
OF HADES
SINCE 1975

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Kind of a fun short quiz on CS Monitor about cannabis history and politics:

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Elections/2011/0104/How-much-do-you-know-about-marijuana-Take-the-quiz/Indigenous-marijuana

I got 70-something%, average score for readers is 46%.

I got 75%. Tripped up on some stats, and also on the species question. That species question is still a matter of some contention, and I had to second guess what side of the question the test writer fell on. Also messed up on which states allow growing for medical, but that was just my feverish rear end loving up and not paying attention.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Nonsense posted:

It will be interesting to see how the Patrick-Abbot spat will affect this bill.

The what?

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast
Decriminalization passed overwhelmingly in East Lansing on Tuesday, getting over 65% of the votes. If legalization makes it onto the ballot for 2016 it seems like it should pass in Michigan.

http://www.mlive.com/lansing-news/index.ssf/2015/05/east_lansing_approves_marijuan.html

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I'd love to see some state-level polling on this for likely voters, I have to imagine that with a half-way decent campaign, it would pass in quite a few places.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
The DEA are recruiting a new chief after Michele Leonhart resigned:

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/forfeiture-funds-used-to-oppose-marijuana-legalization-7328613

quote:

A law-enforcement task force in Yavapai County cut a $50,000 check from RICO funds to a substance-abuse group dedicated to fighting marijuana legalization in Arizona, New Times has learned.

The deal between the Yavapai County-based Partners Against Narcotics Trafficking (PANT) task force and MATFORCE was made soon after the Marijuana Policy Project announced it would launch a 2016 legalization campaign in Arizona — and more public funding against legalization could be on the way.

It's just "Drug education" guys its not a blatant attempt to push the same bullshit war on drugs rhetoric we've had for decades now :smithicide:.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

KingEup posted:

The DEA are recruiting a new chief after Michele Leonhart resigned:

The text in that ad is way smaller than the surrounding ones.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

quote:

The appellate court ruled that "if a reasonable person could conclude that the government entity was educating the public on the issues, albeit in a one-side manner, then it has not used public resources to influence the outcome of an election," Brnovich wrote.

I... What?

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Frabba posted:

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/forfeiture-funds-used-to-oppose-marijuana-legalization-7328613

It's just "Drug education" guys its not a blatant attempt to push the same bullshit war on drugs rhetoric we've had for decades now :smithicide:.

For gently caress's sake. I'm absentee, but this is my county, and I thought we were better than that. There's a large pro-cannabis crowd there, so there ought to be some backlash at least.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

It's saying you don't have to teach the controversy (to borrow a phrase from the Creationism debate).

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

computer parts posted:

It's saying you don't have to teach the controversy (to borrow a phrase from the Creationism debate).

That may well be what it's saying, but it still doesn't make any sense.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

LuciferMorningstar posted:

That may well be what it's saying, but it still doesn't make any sense.

It does if you're a poo poo heel who equates the science supporting legalization to the science supporting creationism...Then yeah, I get what he's saying. We need the cannabis version of the Dover trial to set judges right, I guess?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

quote:

The appellate court ruled that "if a reasonable person could conclude that the government entity was educating the public on the issues, albeit in a one-side manner, then it has not used public resources to influence the outcome of an election," Brnovich wrote.

I don't suppose one could make a legal case that substantially stretching the truth (without which it's nearly impossible to make marijuana sound like something worth banning) or putting their message in the context of the legalization debate would cause an ad to flunk this "just educating the public" test.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The problem with that line of thinking is that it asks judges to rule on the merits of scientific claims, which they are not qualified to do.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

KillHour posted:

The problem with that line of thinking is that it asks judges to rule on the merits of scientific claims, which they are not qualified to do.

That's what expert witnesses are for, yes? I'm pretty sure this wouldn't be the first time the merits of scientific claims have come into question in a court case.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
WaPo has a pretty interesting piece on how weed dealers are making bank in DC's legal gray area: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...bbdd_story.html

Totally predictable exchange with Andy Harris:

quote:

Rep. Andy Harris (R-Md.), who has led Congress’s charge to thwart the legalization, blamed city leaders, insisting that they should have forbidden possession when he and other lawmakers prevented Washington from creating a controlled marketplace.

“There’s no question that demand will go up, and there’s no legal source of supply,” he said. “Clearly, this was not thought out rationally by the city government, which chose to go forward with legalization without regulation.”

John Falcicchio, chief of staff for Mayor Muriel E. Bowser (D), sharply countered that assertion.

“In D.C., it shouldn’t be called the black market. It should be called the Harris market,” he said. “If there’s any uptick in the black market, it’s thanks to Harris.”

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Kevin Sabet continues to be disingenuous:

quote:

Puerto Rico rejects smoking marijuana for medicinal purposes. Progress! https://uk.news.yahoo.com/puerto-rico-rejects-smoking-marijuana-medicinal-purposes-222700184.html#DFTTTDx

Why is he using Yahoo UK news for his link? Oh, probably because most news sources used a headline something more like "Puerto Rico's governor signs decree to authorize medical marijuana".

So PR takes a 20" step forward in legalizing medical marijuana, and Kevvy is crowing because they didn't take a 22" step.

Remember that on the very night that DC, Oregon, and Alaska all decided to legalize recreational marijuana, Kevin's biggest news for the night was that a few bumfuck suburban municipalities in CO had banned marijuana retail. The man's sense of scale is unreal.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
Meanwhile, in Illinois

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/politics/ct-illinois-marijuana-decriminalization-met-0522-20150521-story.html

quote:

The Illinois legislature joined the movement to decriminalize the possession of small amounts of pot, passing a measure Thursday that would bar arrest for the offense.

Carrying small amounts of marijuana would result in a fine instead of an arrest under a measure approved Thursday by the Illinois Senate.

Low-level cannabis possession would go from a crime with fines up to $2,500 and up to a year in a jail to penalties likened to a traffic ticket: no court time and a fine of up to $125 for those caught with 15 grams or less, which is the equivalent of about 25 cigarette-size joints.

Of special note

quote:

One little-reported provision of the measure would change the state's zero-tolerance law for driving with marijuana in one's system.

Marijuana remains in the body much longer than alcohol, after the effects of pot's psychoactive component, THC, have worn off. So instead of drivers being deemed intoxicated with any amount of pot in their systems, the new limit, if the bill becomes law, would be 15 nanograms of THC per milliliter of blood, or 25 nanograms per milliliter of saliva.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

What is the THC concentration 24 hours after smoking? Because I know that 25 nanograms is extremely small, and I know that that in drug tests weed is detectable for up to 2 weeks. So that specific quantity could effectively mean that if you've smoked in the past week you are breaking the law.

http://www.canorml.org/healthfacts/drugtestguide/drugtestdetection.html#blood

Looks like Illinois chose a sensible amount.

quote:

In the case of smoked marijuana, THC peaks rapidly in the first few minutes after inhaling, often to levels above 100 ng/ml in blood plasma. It then declines quickly to single-digit levels within an hour. High THC levels are therefore a good indication that the subject has smoked marijuana recently. THC can remain at low but detectable levels of 1-2 ng/ml for 8 hours or more without any measurable signs of impairment in one-time users

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 22, 2015

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Yeah I'm surprised at how sensible that is, it seems to actually be based on science rather than paranoia.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah that sounds reasonable. Be nice if there were cheap home detectors made too.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Huh, things getting weirder and weirder.

The whole "let the VA recommend weed to vets" thing lost out in the House, but in the Senate it's now been attached to must-pass legislation, so looks like the Senate might push forward a pro-cannabis piece for the first time ever: http://www.drugpolicy.org/news/2015/05/historic-vote-senate-appropriations-committee-approves-veterans-medical-marijuana-amend

In other topsy-turvy news, the House is pushing the DEA to cut out the red tape slowing down marijuana research. And one of the lawmakers leading the charge is... And Harris? The main dude who's fought tooth-and-nail to keep DC from legalizing is apparently legit in favor of "we need more research". So that's something: http://news.marijuana.com/news/2015/05/lawmakers-press-dea-to-allow-more-marijuana-research/

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

MaxxBot posted:

Yeah I'm surprised at how sensible that is, it seems to actually be based on science rather than paranoia.

I can't find information about saliva, but I assume it decays even quicker given that it is replaced pretty rapidly constantly.

Hopefully we don't get to the point where officers are routinely compelling blood from motorists.

Huh, things getting weirder and weirder.

The whole "let the VA recommend weed to vets" thing lost out in the House, but in the Senate it's now been attached to must-pass legislation, so looks like the Senate might push forward a pro-cannabis piece for the first time ever: http://www.drugpolicy.org/news/2015/05/historic-vote-senate-appropriations-committee-approves-veterans-medical-marijuana-amend

In other topsy-turvy news, the House is pushing the DEA to cut out the red tape slowing down marijuana research. And one of the lawmakers leading the charge is... And Harris? The main dude who's fought tooth-and-nail to keep DC from legalizing is apparently legit in favor of "we need more research". So that's something: http://news.marijuana.com/news/2015/05/lawmakers-press-dea-to-allow-more-marijuana-research/

Political winds are changing, and he finally got the memo. Good news for the rest of us.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 22, 2015

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Powercrazy posted:

What is the THC concentration 24 hours after smoking? Because I know that 25 nanograms is extremely small, and I know that that in drug tests weed is detectable for up to 2 weeks. So that specific quantity could effectively mean that if you've smoked in the past week you are breaking the law.

Also, these DUI tests are looking for active THC in the bloodstream, the two week window is for urine tests which detect THC metabolites - the inactive compounds which remain in the body after THC is broken down.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

I'm guessing they're hoping the research will come out such that cannabis is 'very, very bad and naughty indeed, and in one peer reviewed scientific journal, made baby jesus cry in his manger no less than three (3) times.'

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Maryland decriminalized marijuana last year, but due to some loophole somehow didn't legalize paraphernalia. So someone could get caught with a one-hitter and a gram of weed and get ticketed for the weed but hauled downtown for the pipe.

The legislature tried to address this by decriminalizing paraphernalia recently, but the legislation was vetoed by the governor, with a pretty ridiculous explanation and reference to pressure from cop organizations who claimed they'd be unable to stop a guy driving down the street puffing on a weed pipe unless paraphernalia stays illegal.

http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/51046/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=16431

EDIT: In Maine, the legislature's Criminal Justice Committee shuts down proposed recreational cannabis legalization, 6-3. So it's looking more like Maine might have to do a 2016 voter initiative rather than push it through the legislature. As expected, Kevvy's minions are thrilled:

quote:

Scott Gagnon, director of the Maine chapter of Smart Approaches to Marijuana, which opposes legalization, said the coalition was “thrilled and empowered” by the committee’s vote on Thursday.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 29, 2015

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

quote:

Fewer Pot Packages Found in Mail As Legalization Takes Hold

Pot intercepts dropped 12 percent as Colorado and Washington opened stores.

..."It's a slight drop; I don't think it's particularly meaningful especially since it's an increase since 2012," says Kevin Sabet, president of the anti-legalization group Smart Approaches to Marijuana.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2015/05/29/fewer-pot-packages-found-in-mail-as-legalization-takes-hold

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Kevin Sabet has the world's easiest job.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Asset forfeiture of the year:

quote:

Why take my vibrator?

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/05/why-take-my-vibrator-michigan-cops-legally-rob-every-belonging-from-medical-marijuana-patient/

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

gently caress civil forfeiture without standing criminal charges in the ear. This idea that something might be the instrument or product of a criminal act, but no one has to even prove that a criminal act was, was being, or was about to be committed is so beyond preposterous that the US is one of very few stable first-world countries that even allows it at all, and from what I can tell the only one where the powers are all but unlimited.

And gently caress that prosecutor with the stolen vibrator. No lube.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
The Rohrabacher amendment that prevents the DoJ from interfering with state medical marijuana operations passed 242-186, another amendment aimed at doing the same thing but for state recreational marijuana failed narrowly. This issue is moving fast for sure, I wasn't really expecting anything whatsoever out of this congress. The fact that the recreational vote was so close gives me a lot of hope.

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/LegalizationNation/archives/2015/06/04/drug-war-takes-a-shellacking-as-congress-oks-several-canna-bills

quote:

On medical marijuana, the House voted 242-186 to amend the fiscal year 2016 Commerce, Justice, and Science Appropriations spending bill with a bipartisan provision authored by Congressmembers Sam Farr (D-Calif.) and Dana Rohrabacher (R-Calif.) that protects medical marijuana patients and providers from federal prosecution.

A more far-reaching amendment to protect state-legal recreational cannabis failed in its first-ever floor vote Wednesday, but went down swinging, losing by just sixteen votes. The bill is certain to resurrect in future sessions.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

MaxxBot posted:

The Rohrabacher amendment that prevents the DoJ from interfering with state medical marijuana operations passed 242-186, another amendment aimed at doing the same thing but for state recreational marijuana failed narrowly. This issue is moving fast for sure, I wasn't really expecting anything whatsoever out of this congress. The fact that the recreational vote was so close gives me a lot of hope.

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/LegalizationNation/archives/2015/06/04/drug-war-takes-a-shellacking-as-congress-oks-several-canna-bills

drat, 16 votes?! Come on guys! I want protection from the feds!

Plus it probably would have gotten the banks to hurry up and start dealing with pot shops.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
That vote will most definitely pass next time around.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

MaxxBot posted:

The fact that the recreational vote was so close gives me a lot of hope.

I would never in a million years have guessed it would be that close. Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Is Christie the single most anti-ganja guy amongst all the quasi-plausible presidential candidates?

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/06/recreational_marijuana_would_get_turned_off_under.html

quote:

"If you were president would you return the federal prosecutions in the states of Colorado, Washington states?" Dickerson asked.

"Yes," Christie said.

"So, if somebody's enjoying that now in their state, if you're president, that's getting turned off?" Dickerson continued.

"Correct," Christie responded.

• Locked thread